If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur
This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:49:05 MST
"Portrait and Biographical Record of the State of Colorado, Containing Portraits and Biographies of many well know Citizens of the Past and Present"
William EDWARDS came to Eagle County in 1882 and took up a tract of land in the west-central part of the county. Upon this land he laid out the village of Eagle, the town site of which he sold to B. Clark Wheeler, of Aspen, by whom it was afterward sold to A. M. McDonald, owner of the Allen mine.
The Edwards family originated in Wales. From that country M. M. Edwards emigrated to America and settled in Ohio, where he afterward resided. His son, William, was born in Ohio and there engaged in the practice of law for years, but finally moved to Keokuk, Iowa, where he built up a valuable practice and also became a prominent Mason. When he died in 1880 he was fifty-two years of age. During the Civil war he served as captain of a company of Iowa Infantry. His wife was Isadore Florence Hime, of Ohio, daughter of a captain on the Ohio and Mississippi River steamboats.
The only child of his parents, our subject was in youth given excellent advantages. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was quite young when the family settled in Keokuk, Iowa. He attended public schools and the State University of Iowa, where his education was completed. In 1876, at nineteen years of age, he came to Colorado and settled in Park County, where he engaged in the stock business until 1882. Since then his home has been in Eagle County, where he owns a number of mines and is also interested in raising stock and ranching on Eagle Creek.
The political views of Mr. Edwards bring him into affiliation with the
Populist party, of which party he is a stanch adherent. However, he has never
taken an active part in public affairs nor has he desired to hold official
positions. He is comfortably situated financially, and is numbered among the
prosperous ranchmen of the county.
Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb