HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


This page contains biographical sketches (full or extract) of former Eagle County residents.
The majority come from pre-1923 published sources as cited in the sketch.

If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:49:04 MST

A * B * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Thomas Francis Flannery and Sarah Catherin Barlow Flannery ** John Franklin Fleming

The following biography contributed by Kathleen Minion
For the complete story, go to FLANNERY-BARLOW Family History


Thomas was born on February 11, 1873 in New York City to William Flannery and Mary Farrel. He stood about 5' 6" tall. His eyes were blue and hair black. His build was slight. It is known that he had an elder sister Julia, and mention was made of other siblings, but little other is known of his family. He came to Colorado approximately in 1885 and settled first in the San Luis Valley. It is not known who he came with, but that he left New York City because it was feared that an accident there would be blamed on him.

In 1888 he was one of the workman laying rails from Glenwood Springs to Leadville. It was here in this beautiful landscape in the mountains that he met Sarah Catherine Barlow, who lived in Oro.

Sarah Catherine was born May 7, 1877 to John Ernest Barlow,Sr. and Sarah McMahon in Franklin Centre, Huntingdon, Quebec, Canada. She was their second child. As a child she was called Catherine, as an adult Kate. Her eyes were brown and hair black. Her build was stout.

John Ernest was born April, 1849 to Richard Barlow and Margaret McNamie. Richard was born March 10, 1819 in Ireland and had immigrated to Canada in 1842. Margaret was deceased prior to 1868, due to the evidence of Richard's second marriage to Mary Kerry and their first child being 2 years old on the 1871 Canadian census. John Ernest was living with them. Both children of Richard's second marriage died about a year later. Richard and Mary were still living on the 1901 census.

Sarah McMahon was born 29 May 1849 to Dennis McMahon and Sarah Bannigan. Dennis died February 26, 1873 prior to John and Sarah's marriage of June 15, 1875 in the Saint Anne Church in Montreal, Canada.

John and Sarah's children were in order-Margaret Ann born November 27, 1875, then Sarah Catherine, Richard Dennis born April 9, 1879 and John Ernest, Jr. on November 4, 1881, all of Franklin Centre, Huntingdon, Quebec, Canada. They then moved to Leadville, Colorado in 1882 where Mary Jane was born on May 16, 1883 at the Blind Tom Mine on Iron Hill and Ella Bertha was born on August 13, 1885.

John Ernest Sr. was a blacksmith at the Louisville Mines and lived on Fryer Hill in 1887. He and Sarah had had a comfortable home in Canada when they moved to Colorado. Sarah was not use to the pioneer life in a cabin, but settled right into being a pioneer wife. (Family information states he worked hard and eventually built a home for her in Leadville).

However, her enjoyment of life was saddened by the death of her son Richard Dennis on June 29, 1889. His brother John, another boy and himself had gone to the Adalaide Park, where there was a small lake, to collect evergreens for the July 4th holiday. The boys began to dare Richard to jump in the water, from a raft. Richard could not swim, but, eventually took the dare. As he began to drown, his brother John tried to save his older brother, almost loosing his life also. John had been working at the Colonel Seller's mine.

Shortly thereafter the family moved to 1007 North Hemlock in Leadville. Grief stricken, Sarah visited Richard's grave almost everyday, rain or shine. Less than three years later, on March 17, 1892, Sarah joined her son when pneumonia took her life.

John moved to Oro, just a few miles out of Leadville. Here is where they lived when Thomas and Kate where married on December 10, 1893 by the Justice of the Peace in Leadville. Without a baptismal date and place they could not be married in the church. It appears that Thomas did not have this information, so they were married civilly.

Another marriage was to occur in the family about the same time period. That of Margaret Ann to Albert Applebee. Since it was against John's wishes for her to associate with and marry Albert, he being a gambler, Margaret intended to elope. John had made it very clear she was not to see Appleby anymore and she asked to be able to tell him that she could not see him any longer. This desire was granted and Margaret left the house to do so, but didn't return home. On June 7, 1894 she was deceased, the death place believed to be Silver Plume, Clear Creek County, Colorado. Not much has been said about Margaret, or her death. No marriage record has been found.

Nell told the story of one day while walking home from school alone, a pack of wolves came up and surrounded her. She wasn't sure what to do, but was afraid for her life. In her later years she was a spunky, no non-sense, energetic woman just under five feet in height. No doubt this had developed by this period of time. She decided that before the wolves had a chance to close in on her, she was not going to let them have her without a fight. She picked up a rock, picked out the one she thought was the leader and threw the rock at him. The wolf gave her an odd look and then turned and ran away, with the pack after him.

Thomas and Kate's first child was John, who was listed on the church records as Thomas. His life was but a half hour on this earth, that of March 13, 1895, in Oro.

It is said that John Barlow was a stern man. Once when Nell and Mae were under the kitchen table they got to giggling and John got after them. He was a hard working man. He had had much sadness at loosing some loved ones. But, even though he was stern, he still loved his family and pinched for one great enjoyment in life. The occasion was in the winter of 1895\6. An ice palace had been built in Leadville. The family walked four miles from Oro. They had quail-on-toast, banquet-type, at the Saddle Rock Restaurant, danced and enjoyed the entire evening. When the evening came to a close, John capped it all off when he hired a sleigh "taxi" to drive them back home, warm under blankets that were provided.

In 1896 tensions rose over better working conditions and higher pay for the miners, Thomas' livelihood. In order to support Kate while the strike was going, Thomas worked in his father-in-law's blacksmith shop. This was considered to be scabbing, and a person could receive a deathly beating from those wanting a union. One day Thomas was riding on his horse either to or from work when some union men came after him. He said he hadn't ridden a horse that hard since he was a boy trying to get away from some Indians.

In 1887 there had been a Ute uprising in the north-western part of Colorado, who were trying to get their former hunting grounds back. This could be a possible link to his statement above in his earlier years in Colorado.

Another son was born to the Flannery's on May 28, 1897. Francis Keith (possibly the Irish spelling Keath)lived just fifteen months, dying on September 6, 1898. The obituary and city directories show that the family was living in Leadville.

Shortly thereafter Kate became pregnant with Thomas Stanley who came into this life on July 28, 1899. He grew to be tall and slender. His eyes were blue and his hair auburn.

The City Directories of Leadville show that John Ernest Barlow's last years of life he lived with Thomas and Kate. His time here on earth ended on March 13, 1902 of Dropsy(Congestive Heart Failure).

Then came the family clown on November 15, 1902. Edward Ernest had a natural way of bringing laughter into the home. A story was told when he was young, of Thomas putting a bear skin hide over his head and came to the house scratching and growling at the door, thinking he would scare his sons. Once Edward, who was about three years old at the time, realized it was his father he said, "Damn you Papa!".

On the cold, wintry night of October 28, 1904 in Oro, Colorado Florence Regina Flannery came into the world as the fifth child and only daughter of Thomas and Kate. Being a suburb of Leadville, where the doctor was located, Thomas had hitched Dobin up to go get Doctor Elliot. Doctor Elliot replied that he would be leaving soon, your wife is always in labor for some time before the baby arrives. Upon Thomas' arrival back home Florence had decided to make her entrance without the doctor, leaving her mother Kate to deliver her alone.

Thomas had wanted to call the child Florence and had asked Kate if the baby was a girl if they could call her that. When he came home and found a little girl, Kate asked him what he wanted to call her. He said he didn't care, we got our girl. They lived in the last house in Oro, and he went to every home to spread the news of their new arrival.

Another family marriage occurred on November 30, 1904. That of Kate's sister Ella(Nell) Bertha and Joseph Milton Borah, he was born August 7, 1882 in Antonito, Conjos County, Colorado to Milton and Matilda Catherine (Crews) Borah.

An unfortunate accident occurred when Florence was about ten weeks old to her brother Stanley. He had just started school that year. Some kid gave him a giant cap that is used to set off dynamite. When Stanley set it off it took his left eye and fingers on his left hand. The cap also damaged part of the school. Her parents had planned on leaving Edward with a friend while they took Stanley to Denver, but he was so upset that they decided to take him also. Later Stanley was fitted with a plastic eye.

Joe and Nell had their only child Hazel on December 27, 1905 and Hazel writes of this event:

"Mom and Dad lived at Fortune Mine at Big Evans Gulch, where dad was hoist man, when I was born. But I was born at the home of Mrs. Thompson-222 East 5th Street in Leadville. She was a practical nurse. The Doctor was Dr. Sol Kahn.

On the day of my christening(Author notes January 6, 1906) I was carried by my Dad and held by my Godmother-my Aunt Mae and Godfather-Uncle John and christened Hazel Catherine Borah. Aunt Kate was also at the christening.

Then the christening party went to Aunt Kate's for a big turkey dinner and the folks stayed at Aunt Kate's for about a week. Aunt Kate lived at Oro.

Then across the deep snow, to the horses bellies, back to the Fortune Mine.

When I was about 11 months old the Fortune Mine burned and Dad had to look for new work.

Mom and Dad moved to Leadville and lived in the 300 block on West 4th Street and Dad went leasing the Little Johnie. He leased for about 9 months and had to give up because he ran out of money. Later John Cordelanie took over the lease and hit it rich and was known as 'The Dogs King'. The folks then moved to about the 200 block on 9th Street and Dad worked at the Yak Tunnel in California Gulch."

Joe came to get Nell and Hazel to take them home in a sleigh. For the sleigh to cross over the tracks after the rotary snowplow had cleared the tracks and left a high, un-cleared snowdrift along the tracks, Nell had to get out and carry Hazel over the drifts. By the time Joe had worked with the teams to get them across, Nell's skirts were wet to her waist. It resulted in a very sick young mother and baby.

The last Barlow daughter to marry was Mary(Mae) Jane, which occurred on February 4, 1906 to a Louis or Lewis Anderson. The family says that he did not like his birth surname Gelineau, so changed it to Anderson.

During this time period Thomas and Kate had also moved to Leadville. They were there until Florence was about three years old. Thomas had found work in the company owned Empire Zinc Mine and town of Gilman. In the early years the Ore was sent to a smelter in Leadville, until the company built one underground in Gilman. Being that there weren't any company houses open at the time, the family moved into a little house across the street from the school in Red Cliff. It had a front room, kitchen and bedroom. This small lumber town supported two grocery stores, a dry goods store, a lumber company, a mill, a hotel and a mortuary. Just Red Cliff and Gilman were on Battle Mountain. Gilman, at 9100 elevation was sitting upon a mass of rock, whereas Red Cliff was up a little valley, above it towards the west is the cemetery.

Florence can remember the morning they waited at the train station to move 21 miles to Red Cliff. It was early and she remembers being uncomfortably cold. Upon arriving in Red Cliff, she says she was almost hysterical when she saw her papa and began running and calling out to him.

Thomas would walk three miles to and from work each day along the railroad tracks from Red Cliff to Gilman. (The author learned that there was two entrances to the mine. One from the shaft at the town level going down into the mine, and another from the railroad tracks in the canyon).

One day Stanley was turning the wringer on the washer and Florence stuck her middle finger on her right hand in the cogs and the tip was cut off. Doctor Joseph Gilpin was called and he, fortunately, was able to sew it back on. She says it looks a little queer.

Joe Borah went to Kokomo in about October 1907 and sunk a shaft. John Barlow went to live with Nell and Hazel for a couple of months in Leadville, and then the three went to Red Cliff to stay with Thomas and Kate. Mae and Louie were expecting their son John. They were now living in Victor. Nell and Hazel left so that Nell could assist with the birth. In the spring Joe returned to Leadville, and not finding work joined his family in Victor. John Clifford (ANDERSON) GELINEAU was born June 22, 1908.

When Joe came to Victor to be with his family, he worked first at the Findley Mine(Miners Card # 2006). On April 13, 1908 he became employed by A.E. & L.J. Carlton(brothers). Except for a short layoff with the Carlton's, Joe worked for them the rest of his life. Later in life when he moved to Colorado Springs he worked for them in the Pikeview Mine. When the layoff came Joe went to work in Leadville for a couple of months and then came back to Victor where he ran a saloon for two or three months.

Their first home in Victor was behind the Washington School, their house facing Portland Avenue, in which house Hazel played cards with Laura Keller/Heller. They had moved to a little house in the same block on Portland Avenue when Everett Lloyd took Hazel sleigh riding. They collided with a bakery truck. Hazel sustained a broken leg, resulting in spending Christmas and her third birthday in bed. The doctor cast it too tight and it was as black as soot. This caused her to limp for the rest of her life.

Hazel had her fourth birthday while living in a house on South 1st, that the Beach family owned. This Christmas was again spent indoors to Scarlet Fever. The family made friends with a Davis family. There was a dairy wagon accident at their home. Pearl Davis married 1.-Tom Duveir 2.-Mr. Olsen 3.-Al Williams-making her a sister-in-law to Hazel. Hazel spent her fifth Christmas in the Olcott House where cousin John Gelineau came to stay with them for awhile.

The Flannerys moved to a two story house across from the depot, on Water Street. A couple lived downstairs, the Flannerys upstairs. Florence was always falling down the stairs, but felt it was mild in comparison to her falling out of the window in her high chair. She was sitting in a highchair that she had maneuvered near a window. She pushed her chair backwards, falling from the second story, out the window, landing in some dirt. She didn't feel that she was hurt, but very surprised to find herself where she was and that it seemed her papa had made it to the ground level almost at the same time that she did. Eventually the family occupied the entire house.

While living here the Delee (DaLee)boys started throwing rocks at Florence and her brothers. One hit Florence in the head at the hair line right where her hair parts, which left a visible scar throughout her life. Doctor Gilpin was called in to give stitches, again, with the neighbors gathered around.

Florence went to school with her brothers for a short time in Red Cliff. She had made some friends of Anna and Ida Miller. Their mother Beata died in 1910 and Kate helped the undertaker dress her, taking Florence with her. Their father didn't feel that he could take care of his girls and work, so sent them to Denver to live with an Aunt. She couldn't care for them, so put them in an orphanage.

Florence tells of a mishap her papa had:

"One night my dad was late coming home. I remember we were in the yard watching for him. At work he had an accident. He operated a jack hammer and it hit him in the mouth, knocking out his front teeth. My poor dad's mouth was bleeding, down his shirt. He got cleaned up and caught the #16 train to Leadville. He was back home that next morning. Wasn't too long until we moved to Gilman. While we were gone, some children came in and raided the cupboards."

About the first night after they had moved they heard a man's voice yelling, "Help, Help". It was Jack Fuller, a little bit more than being Tipsy. Sometime later, he and Thomas Flannery both had over-indulged and they got into a fight. Since this was a small community, when someone was hurt, the neighbors would come over to see what happened and if they could help. Florence only remembers sitting on her father's lap saying, "My poor papa", as the neighbors looked on.

This move came just before Florence's seventh birthday. Mrs. Thompson, a neighbor, baked cupcakes and when a piece was given to the birthday girl, there was a small, yellow and gold cup baked inside of it. Written on the side in a white area was "A Present" in gold letters. The cup remained a treasure throughout her life.

One of the few amusements in this small, mining town was when someone would give a party. Mrs. Thompson liked to give some. She had a small keyboard. It was passed around and anyone who could play a tune on it would get a prize. Florence was just itching to get her fingers on it. When it came to her, she played Violet, Blue Violet, Bright. Her prize was a pink, green and white cup, again this was also a cherished keep-sake.

Another past time were the dances. Thomas would raffle off things made to collect money for charity. Then the dance would start. He would sing some of the old Irish songs and dance the Irish Jig. Sometime during the evening he would take his little girl onto the dance floor. Thus, dancing became her favorite pastime.

In the early years the town had just a Post Office and a Mine Office. Later came the grocery store, and Pete Doyle ran the dry goods store. One time a guy came in and asked for some bandages. Pete came out with a box of sanitary napkins, thinking them bandages. It didn't take too long until the entire town knew about Pete Doyle's bandages.

The families first residence in Gilman was in the Post Office. It still was standing in 1983. However it was boarded up, which upset Florence, as she wanted to get into it. The next was in a two story, white house, which was still standing in 1965, but had burnt down by 1983. Florence's favorite house was a two story log house.

One night during a terrible blizzard and the family was just getting ready to go to bed, someone knocked at the door. It was Mr. Zeitz. His wife was in labor with their 4th child. Mr. Zeitz wanted Kate to go with him to help with the birth. Kate did not hesitate. The path to his home was along a path near the edge of the cliff there on Battle Mountain. Gilman was built on tiers due to the steep slope. Some areas dropping directly off into the canyon. As Kate and Mr. Zeitz walked the hardened path, each would start to slip off and the other would pull them back onto the trail. Years later Mr. Zeitz was going to go to California with family savings to get a new start, but in going to the depot in Red Cliff, he got to gambling and lost all of the family savings. When the family gathered some more savings and did leave Gilman on a train, they tried to abandon one of their children on the train.

The worst tragedy Florence can remember is when there was a fire in the Nesha's (Nisja) house. Their oldest son Stanley was six and ready to enter school in September. A brother was three and a sister just a few weeks old. The mother was preparing to make a trip to Pennsylvania to visit with family. She was sewing and ran out of thread. She went to the Post Office to put in an order, since Gilman didn't have supplies. While gone, the house caught fire. She ran into the house and grabbed the baby buggy, trying to save her daughter, but couldn't get it out of the door. Her hands and face were badly burnt, but she lived, to suffer the loss of her children.

If there was any sickness or death Thomas and Kate were always there to give assistance. Money was never involved.

Kate made all of Florence's dresses. During the winter white batiste aprons were made to wear over the warm winter dresses. There was a clean one everyday that had been ironed the old fashioned way-by warming the iron on the stove.

Many pleasant memories were had by family and friends of this couple. One story was told of Thomas and Kate getting into a watermelon fight one night. Both refused to clean it up. Kate went to bed, as Thomas stayed up and cleaned it up. The next day Kate delivered the child she was carrying. Thomas liked to do the Irish Jig for his kids.

During the summer Thomas would work in the mine while his family would stay on their homestead, where Thomas had built a cabin. It was located up West Lake Creek about two miles or so from the town of Edwards, which had a store and a few houses. During these stays, Florence can remember the only time her mother gave a spanking, she preferred the evil eye (which Florence used with her children). Stanley and Edward had done something wrong. Stanley took his spanking right away, but Edward went and hid under the bed. Kate would move the bed out and Edward would roll back under it. This went on several times when Kate informed him if he didn't come out that his licking would be much worse. So he finally came out to get his spanking.

Sometime during the summer Thomas would hire a team of horses and a wagon to bring the Phillips and Davis families down for the day. Florence would sit on the porch and wait to see the wagon come around the corner. When Thomas would get down from the wagon she would laugh, and then cry.

One summer cousin John Gelineau came to visit. The children had a horse named Pet. John had a most unwelcome encounter with the horse when he got kicked.

When the Flannery children were in Gilman, Ollie Graham was their teacher. A program was being put on and Ollie had the boys lined up across the stage singing Yankee Doodle Dandy. Edward put his heart into it. He really sang, eyes rolling. He was so funny. This man who was in the audience wanted to know who that boy was at the end of the line. He got a real charge the way Edward was singing.

The first car ride Kate and Florence had was in the Desmond's (Dismant) car, driven by Ollie Graham. Ollie lived with the family until elected to be the Superintendent of Schools. Her father, Aaron Graham, owned and operated the mortuary in Red Cliff. She and Florence shared a bedroom downstairs, where there was also a dining area and kitchen. Upstairs were two more bedrooms.

It was at this young age that Florence lists her first crush as being that of Harry Evans.

The Borah's still lived in Victor, but had made a few moves. They had bought a small home on South 1st Street and lived there until the year of the big snow-1913. For a few months a Mrs. Reed and Nell ran a boarding house in the American House. While living here Hazel had her first communion. The family lived at the City Hotel and then bought a house on the corner of Spieer and 1st Ave.

Uncle John met a divorcee Annie Owen while he worked in the mine in Gilman and she ran a boarding house. Being that John was Catholic and Annie ???????, they went to Salt Lake City, Utah on the train and were married July 6, 1915. John raised her two children Florence, who went by Polly and Walter as his own. Her eldest son John C. was taken by her ex-husband Tom, who settled in Grass Valley, CA where he put the boy to work in the mines. Before John married Annie it seemed a Viola Dumas(born about 1900)didn't like Annie, as Florence can remember that she was given a package by Viola to deliver to Annie. Inside was a dead mouse.

Around 1917 the Empire Zinc Company was bought out. The new company built more houses for their workers and the town began to boom. Thomas made a visit to New York City in 1917. Julia came to Colorado were she worked in the company hotel, which was run by John Barlow. She left in the fall of 1918. She stayed with her brother's family. She was a widow. After loosing her daughter of just under 11 months to bronchitis in 1884 and then her husband, she never married again.

Florence remembers two treasured pets. One was her dog Rover. One day he came home foaming at the mouth. Someone had poisoned him. The family knew who it was. There was a lady who was running for the County Superintendent that had passed their way and learned about the loss. She later came across a family whose dog had just had pups. Due to her visit and sharing the story, the owner rode his horse to the Flannery residence with a puppy for Florence. This was her dog Snookums. She enjoyed his company for many years. He would meet her for lunch and after school. She says when she was away from home that her Uncle John took him to his farm in Avon. One day he left and never came back. It was believed that he went off and died somewhere. She had been heartbroken over Rover and sure did love her Snookums.

About this time Kate and Florence lived in Kokomo. It appears that Thomas and Edward came home by train, or possibly they now had a car, as they were still working in Gilman. Florence found a friend in Freda Swanson, who had siblings Lillie, Roy and Gus. It seems that she had spilled some milk on Francis Tobin.

A teacher could not be found to teach school in Kokomo, so Florence was taken to Uncle Joe and Aunt Nell's to attend school with Hazel. Piano lessons were provided at the Borah's. Before she had left, Kate had made her a yellow dress with thin green ribbon trim for her birthday. During the depression one of her daughter's needed some material and the dress was given to her, a decision that was later regretted. However a picture was taken at Aunt Nell's which has been treasured. Stanley, now grown and after a short time working in the mines from February 1918 in Victor(Miners card # 9411), listed as unemployed in Telluride September 12, 1918 on his WWI draft registration card, left on the train from Kokomo for Montrose, where he worked on a farm.

While working in Montrose, the flu epidemic hit and Stanley got it. He was hospitalized, but quickly went into pneumonia. The family was called, being warned that he was gravely ill. Kate and Edward were able to catch the evening train to Montrose, but Thomas was not able to leave until the morning. Kate and Edward arrived at the hospital to see Stanley before he died. By the time Thomas arrived the next morning, his son was deceased.

Arrangements were made for him to be buried in the family plot in Leadville. While there, Thomas, Kate and Edward also caught the flu. Thomas refused to sleep in order to care for his wife and son. He was seen on Harrison Avenue by his brother-in-law John staggering all over the sidewalk. John thought he was drunk, but he was just sick and trying to care for his wife and son. Kate died November 7th and Edward November 9th. Thomas survived to join his daughter in Victor beginning to work in the mines about mid-May 1919(Miners Card # 9884).

There he met a Mrs. Mary Chisham and they were married. On the January 2, 1920 census, the census taker assumed that Mary was Florence's mother, giving Missouri(Mary's birth state)as Florence's mother's place of birth. Their residence was at 227 South First Street. Around the corner at 101 Spieer Avenue were the Borah family.

Florence made a lasting friendship with Agnez Melz, who married a Mr. Russell. They stayed in contact with each other until Agnes died September 10, 1984 while on a vacation cruise in Mexico.

Thomas wanted Florence to have advanced schooling and she was sent to Schlastica Catholic boarding school in Canon City. Here more music lessons were provided. She says of this school:

"I liked this school, but I would cry at night after going to bed, as I missed my mother so very much. Some times one of the nuns would sneak some candy to me. I guess she felt sorry for me.

One night one of my friends and me decided we would crawl out the bathroom window and go in the orchard and get some apples. This was in the days when we wore black satin bloomers. So, we loaded our bloomers with apples. On our return we heard a noise, started to run and of course I had to fall down and down came my bloomers, loosing most of my harvest. I grabbed my bloomers, retrieved some of my apples and took off, crawling back into the bathroom. So our friends had apples right off the tree.

Then one night, I just had something to tell my friend that was down about four beds. In our dorm there was a bed, night stand, bed, night stand, etc. down the entire room. Each was curtained for privacy. Open them all during the day. So I rolled under the beds and on my return trip a couple girls on the other side of the aisle said my feet kept popping out on my return trip. They thought for sure the nun who was assigned to our dorm was going to catch me, but I made it back just in time.

I get a chuckle when I think of my face loaded with freckles and two big braids, one over each shoulder."

When Thomas came to get Florence that summer, he asked, "Pet (he always called her Pet),do you want to come back next year"? She replied, "No Papa, I want to stay with you". Florence was very homesick.

Upon returning to Gilman where she completed her education in the 1920/21 school year, she was pleasantly surprised to see her childhood friends Anna and Ida Miller. Their father had been able to get his daughters back and brought them home to Gilman.

Florence had many fun times with them and kept in touch over later years. One of these times was when they wanted to get a peak at the Tabor legend, as had Aunt Nell. When Nell was a girl, a friend called to her and asked it she wanted to see Baby Doe. Down the street on the warm summer day was a woman dressed in a fur coat and wore burlap on her feet. She was now a broken old woman. Later she was found frozen to death in her cabin. Florence and the Miller girls decided to see her home. They peeked into the cabin and saw a stove, table and chairs. Florence often wondered if Baby Doe might have had relatives somewhere in Colorado or her native state. They also built snowmen together and dressed up for Halloween. Anna as a clown, Florence and Ida as witches.

Anna married Lincoln Blakey and Florence visited them in later years when she would vacation in Colorado. On one of those trips on August 9th, 1969 Ida, who was now living out-of-state, was visiting with her sister in Pueblo. Florence had not seen her in almost 49 years. After Anna passed away, Florence mentioned sadly that she was the last to remain of her childhood friends.

Hazel says that the family moved to Colorado Springs in January 1919. However, since they were still in Victor January 2, 1920 (evidenced by the census previously mentioned) it must have been in January of 1920. Florence again lived with the family from September 1921 through May 1922 on Arcadia in Colorado Springs while attending Blair's Business College. She also worked at Woolworth's. She dated Lloyd Fender and made a friendship with Ida Cox. Florence also dated a Jimmy Wright when she visited with Aunt Nell and Hazel when they were living in another house in Colorado Springs. One of these young men tried to get her to elope.

While in Colorado Springs, she and her father went to The Cave of the Winds in the summer when she was 16 years old. He took a picture of her standing at the edge of the river on a rock. Knickers were new to her and she felt uncomfortable in them.

At the end of the school year she went home with her father to Gilman. It is not known when he and Mrs. Chisham parted company, only that the marriage did not last long. Thomas didn't marry again. Florence enjoyed herself by attending dances and socials in Gilman, Red Cliff, Minturn and Leadville. There was a dance in Gilman that her father was involved in helping. At one point when there wasn't anyone on the floor, the music started and hopping, skipping and jumping, he went down to dance with Florence. In the beginning she felt uncomfortable on the dance floor with her father, as no one else came out to dance, but soon realized that she was with her dear father and she forgot about her uneasiness.

She had met several young men, but had become very fond of Dave Holden when she was 18 years old. One of her favorite pastimes was to dance, and he danced well. She also found him to be a good conversationalist. However, a layoff came to the mine. The first men to go were the single. He decided to leave town to find work. Florence remembers crying when she said good-bye. Through her tears she watched him as he walked down to the corner and then watched between the houses as he walked up the other street. In 1935 she saw his sister on Harrison Avenue in Leadville and asked how Dave was doing. She was told that when Dave found out that she had married that he was heart broken. He went into the mountains to pan gold, never marrying, got sick and died.

Uncle John and Annie had bought a ranch in Avon. Thomas and Florence went there for awhile, helping to pack lettuce.

Top of Page

John Franklin FLEMING

"Portrait and Biographical Record of the State of Colorado, Containing Portraits and Biographies of many well know Citizens of the Past and Present"
Chapman Publishing Company, Chicago, 1899
Page 1073

An influential position among the business men of Red Cliff is held by Mr. Fleming, who is one of the successful merchants of the town. In spite of the fact that he came here with only a few dollars, he has built up a business that is worth thousands. He brings to the details of his business a thorough experience, united with pride in the quality of goods kept at his stores, and the consequence is that he has built up an excellent trade in Eagle County.

The paternal grandfather of our subject, Timothy Fleming, was a soldier in the war of 1812 and was taken prisoner by the British at Quebec. The maternal grandfather, John W. Saviers, was a farmer and a member of a pioneer family of Ohio. He had a son, George W. Saviers, who was for years a leader of the Democracy in Columbus, Ohio. Our subject's father, Benjamin Franklin Fleming, was born in Tippecanoe, Ohio, and in early life engaged in the shoe business, but afterward turned his attention to farming and merchandising. He continues to reside in Ohio. In early manhood he voted the Democratic ticket, but during the past twenty years has been allied with the Prohibitionists. In religion he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. By his marriage to Elizabeth Saviers he had six children: John Franklin; George M., a business man of Mount Vernon, Ohio; Nannie E., Mrs. Henry Bayless, of Ross County, Ohio; Maggie T., wife of George Allshouse, a fruit dealer in Ross County, Ohio; Emma, Mrs. George Bayfield, of Ohio; and Eugenia, wife of W. F. Johnston, of Cumberland Ohio.

The early years of our subject's life were passed in Cambridge, Ohio, where he attended the public schools. At eighteen years of age he started out for himself. In 1882 he came to Colorado, without money or friends. For a time he worked on a Democratic paper in Leadville, and later was assistant cashier in the dry-goods house owned by Joel W. Smith. He came to Red Cliff in 1885, and started a grocery and men's furnishing business, in partnership with E. M. Borg, with whom he continued until February, 1886, and then purchased his partner's interest. Soon afterward he formed a partnership with W. H. Evans, president of the Leadville Hardware Company, with which organization he is also connected, owning one-quarter of the capital stock, and which he assisted in starting. He is now the owner of one-half interest in two stores in Red Cliff, one being a grocery, and the other a hardware and general store. He also assisted in starting a bank in Red Cliff, but the venture did not prove a success. In national politics he has always favored the Democratic party, but in local affairs votes for the man whom he deems best qualified to represent the people. Twice he has been elected mayor of Red Cliff, whose interests he has assisted materially.

In 1891 Mr. Fleming married Anna McLeod, of Quebec, Canada, daughter of John C. McLeod, who owned a farm near Quebec and assisted in building the first railroad to that city. Mr. and Mrs. Fleming have three children, Burnis, Edna and Pearl.
Contributed in 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

Return to Eagle County Main page

Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb