HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:12 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

CAMPBELL, Esther Anna

Mrs. John L. CAMPBELL, who has been an invalid for many years, died at the family home in Denver on Tuesday morning. Mr. CAMPBELL was formerly treasurer of this county and the family resided here several years. Mr. CAMPBELL is now in business here, but for several weeks has been at the beside of his wife. The son, Will, went to Denver Tuesday to be present at the funeral. The other children are Mrs. James W. WOODS of Salida, and Miss Ella CAMPBELL.

The Denver Republican of Wednesday had the following interesting sketch of the deceased and her devoted husband:

In April of 1865 the Third New Jersey was stationed at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and all the men were under orders at the railroad depot waiting the arrival of the train bearing the remains of Abraham Lincoln to the banks of the Sangamon in Illinois. A drummer boy was standing with a soldier near the depot , and it was raining. The two noticed a couple of girls under a large umbrella, and joined them. The drummer boy was John L. CAMPBELL, a resident of this state from 1871, and one of the girls was Miss Esther Anna BROWN, who later became Mrs. CAMPBELL. The meeting of the two was not the only romantic experience of their intercourse. The acquaintance which sprung up at the chance meeting ripened, as many such acquaintances do, and when Mr. CAMPBELL established himself at Sweetwater, Wyoming, in 1869, he sent for the rosy faced Pennsylvania girl to join him in establishing a household. She had never been away from home before, but made the trip over the railways to Bryan, a station on the Union Pacific, and from there by stage through 100 miles of Indian country to Sweetwater. The stage was guarded all the way by soldiers, as traveling was unsafe. Arriving at Sweetwater, she found no minister was within 400 miles of the place. The pair were married by Judge James S. STILLMAN a famous jurist of the time, who had been a resident of Utah and who was said to have been at one time a member of that church. The wedding made the first legal marriage of the Sweetwater country.(8 Feb 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


Cruz CARBAJAL died Jan 4 15 Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs. He was 36.

Mr. CARBAJAL was born Jan 18, 1956 in Chihuahua, Mexico to Cruz and Hermelinda (Cvevas) CARBAJAL. He married Angela BRANCH 14 years ago, and the couple moved from Minturn to Gypsum 8 years ago.

He worked by W. Y. Construction in Eagle for the past 8 years as a heavy equipment operator and had been on the Gypsum Volunteer Fire Department since his arrival in the community.Surviors include: his wife, Angela CARBAJAL of Gypsum; mother and father, Hermelinda and Cruz CARBAJAL of Chihuahua, Mexico; son Cruz CARBAJAL, Jr., of Gypsum; step daughter Melissa BRANCH of Alabama; brothers Manual of Avon, Carlos and Armando, both of Mexico; sisters Elma Nidia CARBAJAL and Maribel CARBAJAL, both of Mexico.

Funeral mass will be held Thursday, Jan 7 at 2p.m. at St Mary's Catholic Church in Eagle. A Rosary was held at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan 6, also at the church. Father Ed POEHLMAN will officiate. Interment will be at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Gypsum. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home handled arrangements.

Return to Top

CAREY, Ella May Huffman

Ella May HUFFMAN was born near Franklin, Ind. March 2, 1861. Died at Boulder, Colo., February 20, 1920. She moved with her parents to Kansas when a small child and was united in marriage to John CAREY March 5, 1889. To this union were born eight children--two girls and six boys, all living. They are Mrs. John FAGAN, of Osage, Kan., Lorna P. CAREY, of Boulder, W. E. CAREY, of Covington, Okla., Clyde M. CAREY, of Eagle, J. Loyd CAREY, of Ranger, Tex.,., Leo H., Earl K. and Cecil V. CAREY, living in Boulder, and all being present at the funeral.

In addition to husband and children she leaves eight grandchildren. Three sisters, Mrs. Lillie ROBERTS, of Enid, Okla., Mrs. Mortie KINNEY, of Milford, Utah, both being present at the funeral, and Mrs. Josie EATON, of Tracy, Calif., who was unable to attend. She was a member of the Congregational church and lived a Christian all her life.

Mrs. CAREY with her husband and family moved to Oklahoma in 1891 where she resided the greater part of the time until 1909, when they came to Eagle and remained until three months ago, when they moved to Boulder, where they bought a home intending to make that their permanent residence. Death coming as it did was a severe shock to the family and friends, as it was thought that her illness was not serious, death coming as if she were going to sleep.

In the late war three of the sons were in the service, one going to France. During those trying times Mrs. CAREY, like most American mothers, did not complain and her expressions were "that she was willing and glad that she was able to help the county in this way."

Other members of the immediate family that came from a distance were Mrs. W. E. CAREY and her sister Miss Grace NIXON, of Covington and Enid, Okla., and Ed and Frank CAREY, of Reading Kans., brothers of Mr. CAREY.

The funeral was also attended by Mr. and Mrs. Jesse SHERMAN, George SHERMAN, W. H. SHRYACK, Miss Helen FLEMING and Miss Marion DICKINSON, Eagle county friends of the family.

The funeral was held from the family residence and the body laid to rest in the Green Mountain cemetery at Boulder at 11:30 o'clock Wednesday morning, February 25.[5 Mar. 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CARLSON, Mrs. Frank

Death calls home Red Cliff Pioneer Laid to Rest.
Last Saturday morning at 5:15 o'clock occurred the death of Mrs. Frank CARLSON, at her home on Water Street. Mrs. CARLSON was ill but a few days, death resulting from paralysis of the brain.

In this death Red Cliff loses one of its pioneers, Mr. and Mrs. CARLSON having resided here since 1881. Mrs. CARLSON was born in Almasnero, Jankoping, Sweden in 1833. Mrs. Carlson was 77 years, 1 month and 19 days old.

The funeral took place from the Congregational Church Monday afternoon at 2:30. Rev. BROOKS in his funeral sermon dwelt on the beautiful religious life lived by the deceased which has endeared her to all who knew her. The church was unable to hold the large number of friends, both from here and in the district who came to pay their last respects to the deceased. Mrs. NORTHRUP sang three solos, "Oh Dry Those Tears", "Lead Kindly light" and " Nearer My Goal to The". A large cortege accompanied the remains to their last resting place in Evergreen cemetery.

The pall bearers were F. V. BURBANK, G. E. BOWLAND, Jan SMITHERUM, A.S. LITTLE, Chas. MARSHAL, and John SMITH. Mortician GRAHAM had charge of the funeral.

The Blade joins with a host of friends in extending their sincere sympathy to Mr. CARLSON, who is one of our most respected citizens.[10 May 1910, Eagle County Blade, p1]

Return to Top


The body of Peter CARLYON, who disappeared from Red Cliff on May 31st, was found in Homestake creek last Monday. On that day Stewart COLLINS went fishing on Homestake and a short distance above the old slaughter house found the body of a man lodged on some driftwood in mid-stream. Young COLLINS postponed the fishing instantly and hastened to town and reported the discovery.

A party headed by Coroner GILPIN and Marshal COLLINS was immediately organized and directed to the scene. The body was recovered after considerable difficulty and brought to town, accompanied by W. V. CARTEEN, son-in-law of the deceased, who was a member of the party.

On May 31st, Mr. CARLYON, who for some time had been in a demented and irresponsible condition, wandered away from his relatives in Red Cliff. Mr. CARTEEN presumed he had returned to Leadville, his former home, and made a trip there in search of him. Soon afterward it was learned that the old man had been seen on the day he disappeared in the vicinity of the BOTTOLFSON ranch, on Homestake creek. A search of the locality was made, but it proved futile. Then rumors came that the old gentleman had been picked up at Glenwood, that the Saturday following his disappearance he had been seen at Bell's Camp, and even that he was seen as late as 8 o'clock on the evening of May 31st in Red Cliff. Investigation proved that the first two rumors at least were unfounded, and now it is evident that the latter one was wrong.

The deceased was over 80 years of age and in a feeble condition when he disappeared. Without doubt he wandered aimlessly about on the day of his disappearance and after nightfall fell into the swollen stream and was drowned.

Mr. CARLYON was an old resident of Leadville where he was well known. He was a native of Cornwall, England, and by avocation was a miner.

The funeral was held yesterday afternoon at A. F. GRAHAM's undertaking rooms. Rev. L. D. JARRARD of Minturn conducted the services and the interment was at Greenwood cemetery.(28 June 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


The death of Thomas CAROLIN at a hospital in Glenwood Springs Friday night, March 6, came as a shock and great surprise to friends in this community.

Mr. CAROLIN has been one of the foremost ranchmen on Brush creek for many years. Last fall he sold the ranch with the intention of retiring from active work, and a few weeks ago sold his personal property and gave possession of the ranch the first of this month. He remained in Eagle for a few days, settling up his business affairs here, intending to go to Denver to make his home with a sister. It was not known that he was ill, but a few days before his death he went to Glenwood to consult a doctor. He was afflicted with acute pneumonia, and death came quickly. A niece, Miss SMITH, of Denver , was with her uncle shortly before he died and arranged for the body to be shipped to Denver for burial beside his wife.[14 March 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CARR, Lula

Died Today - Mrs. Lula Carr, long time resident of Gypsum died at her home in Gypsum Thursday, following an illness of a few weeks. Mrs. Carr suffered a stroke earlier this spring and was a patient in a Glenwood hospital until last week, when she returned to her Gypsum home. Burdge Mortuary in Glenwood will be in charge of funeral arrangements which are pending. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise Newspaper June 2, 1955)

Return to Top

CARTER, Doris May

Services will be held Saturday, April 18, for Gypsum resident Doris May CARTER. Mrs. CARTER died April 13, 1992, at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs. She was 79.

A daughter of Otis and Elsa HAYES, she was born June 13, 1912, in Glenwood Springs. She was married to James David CARTER in May of 1931.

She lived her entire life in the Gypsum area. She loved horseback riding and anything to do with the outdoors.

She was preceded in death by her husband, who died in 1985, and a daughter, Dorothy BURNETT, who died in 1965. Survivors include her children, Tiny MOSHER of Eagle, and Kay GOODIN of Naches, Wash.; nine grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren.

Graveside services are slated for 10 a.m. on Saturday at Gypsum Hill Cemetery. Visitation was scheduled for 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday at Farnum-Holt Funeral Home in Glenwood Springs. Donations by be made to Mountain Hospice Inc., P.O. Box 4432, Vail 81658

Return to Top

CARTER, Russell S.

Russel S. CARTER, 75, of Wolcott, died March 23 at the Vail Valley Medical Center after a long illness.

Funeral services were held March 27, at the Eagle Methodist Church. He was buried at the Sunset Cemetery in Eagle, with military honors by the Eagle American Legion post.

CARTER, a long-time resident of the valley, worked at the sawmill on Squaw Creek and then worked at the Gilman Mine until his retirement in 1970.

He was born July 19, 1916 to Cora and Joe Carter in Leadville. As a child he moved with his parents to their homestead up Squaw Creek, where he lived the rest of his life.

He joined the Army in 1941 and served in World War II for four years. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and trapping until illness began to slow him down.

CARTER married Wanda J. TERRY in 1948 in Idaho Springs. He is survived by his wife, of Wolcott; four sons, Dan CARTER and Rick CARTER of Denver, Terry CARTER and Dave CARTER of Edwards; two daughter, Linda and Jerry HAYES of Eagle and Charlotte (Randy) HOBBS of Sweetwater; two brothers, Sam (Betty) CARTER of Edwards and Joe (Mary) CARTER of Arizona; two sisters, Alma CASE of Grand Junction and Theo TERRY of Oregon; and his mother-in-law, Nina TERRY of Gypsum.

He is also survived by 15 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and numerous cousins, nephews and nieces. He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers, Harry and Bob; and a sister, Buena CASE.

Return to Top


William H. (Bill) CARUTHERS, formerly of Eagle, died recently in Pueblo. He was 61

The eldest of seven children, he was born in Mack, Colo. to H.I. and Frances CARUTHERS on March 29, 1935. He was stricken with polio as a baby and spent his early years in Mack, Green River and West Water, Utah. At the age of 14 he moved with his family to Red Cliff, where his father worked as a section foreman on the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad. He graduated from Red Cliff Union High School at the age of 20; he was older than his classmates due to time spent in hospitals in Denver and Colorado Springs for surgeries related to his polio. As a young adult, in spite of being hampered with a severe limp, he enjoyed hunting, hiking into high lakes, fishing and similar outdoor activities.

He attended business college and in 1962 was appointed acting postmaster of Red Cliff. He married Jenny Jo "Jody" CHAMBERS in Eagle in 1963, and the couple had two daughters. During this period he served as a member of the Red Cliff Volunteer Fire Department.

Bill and his family made several moves during the next 10 years, first to Eagle, and to Aurora, then back again to Eagle, where he lived for 22 years. During these years he was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Rebekahs, the Encampment and the Patriarchs Militant/Canton. He served in several offices with Odd Fellows and Rebekahs in Gypsum, including Noble Grand of Odd Fellows and the Vice Grand of Rebekahs. He also became a charter member of the Rifle Encampment, serving as scribe and chief patriarch.

During his years in the Eagle Valley he was also appointed to the Royal George Manor Board, a senior citizen complex owned and operated by the IOOF, on which he also served as president. He joined the Eagle Lions Club, where he achieved 15 years of perfect attendance, received the 100 percent President's Award, served as zone chairman, worked with the Eye Bank and received a variety of other honors for serving on many community service projects. He also served for more that 15 years as secretary for the Greater Eagle Fire Protection District Board.

Bill's employer, PTI Communications, transferred him to La Junta in 1997. Despite suffering the loss of mobility because of his polio, he still continued to give his time to the community and the IOOF.

He was preceded in death by his father.

Survivors include his wife, Jody; daughters Suzette (Charles) SCHLUND of Littleton and Celeste (Bert) HAUSER of Avon; his mother; brothers Bruce (Joanne), Larry (Debbie), Tom (Dee), all of Tucson, Ariz., and Terry of Arvada; Sisters Carolyn CLARK of Tucson, and Eleanor BAUMBAUER of Denver; five grandchildren, Amy and Randy SCHLUND and Anthony, Andrew and Amamda HAUSER; and numerous nieces and aunts.

A memorial service was held Tuesday, Aug. 27 at the Odd Fellows Chapel in Canon City.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to The Grand Encampment, IOOF Campground c/o the Grand Lodge of Colorado, 1545 Phelps Ave., Canon City, CO 81212 or the charity of your choice. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 29 Aug 1996)

Return to Top

CARY, John

News of the death of John CARY at his home at 467 Filmore street, Denver, was carried in the Denver Post Monday. Mr. CARY was for years a resident of this community, owning the ranch just north of Eagle which he sold to James E. ULMANN six or eight years ago.

Mr. CARY had been ill and bed ridden for many months under the care of a physician and trained nurse constantly, the end coming last Friday, November 30. Burial was in Denver Tuesday of this week.

Two of his sons are living in Denver. Leo being employed as a salesman in the Denver Union Stockyards, and Clyde being employed elsewhere in the city.

Mr. CARY was a respected citizen of this community, where many friends and former neighbors regret his death.[7 Dec. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CASEY, James

James CASEY, late foreman of a Denver & Rio Grande section crew at Sherwood, was run over by passenger train No 5 last Thursday evening and instantly killed.

Coroner GRAHAM was sent for and on Friday investigated the affair and facts as follows were disclosed:

It appears that on Thursday the section crew had been engaged in repairing a piece of track about a mile and a half east of Wolcott which had been badly damaged by the derailing of an engine. The men were unable to complete the repairs at dark and it was necessary to leave a flagman at the place to warn trainmen of the unsafe condition of the track. CASEY remained at the place to perform these duties. He flagged one train, a freight train bound east, which later sidetracked at Allenton for No 5. No 5 is the fast west bound mail and passenger and on this run Engineer George GORDON was at the throttle. On rounding a curve the engineer saw the prostrate form of a man lying across the track, with his head on one rail and his feet on the other. There was no chance to stop, but Engineer GORDON whistled and applied the air. The engine and six cars passed over the man's body and it was horribly mutilated. No blame is attached to the railroad men and it will never be known whether the unfortunate victim purposely placed himself in the path of certain death or whether form some accident or sudden physical weakness he was prostrated there.

Deceaswed as about 24 years of age and is survived by his mother, Mrs. Mary NICHOLSON, of Sherwood, and two married sisters, living at Grand Junction. The funeral and interment occurred at Grand Junction last Sunday.(14 Nov 1901, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top

CASTLE, Elizabeth O'Neill

Mrs. Homer Castle, formerly Miss Elizabeth O'NEILL of Avon, Colo., was claimed by death at her home in Grand Junction, Thursday, November 17, after an illness with pneumonia of three weeks.

Before her marriage, Mrs. CASTLE was a resident of Eagle county, living at Avon with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. O'NEILL.

The deceased leaves to mourn her loss a husband, Mr. Homer CASTLE, five children. Billie, 14; Arlene, 13; Walter, 10; Vincent, 6; Geneieve, 4; and mother, Mrs. J. J. O'NEILL of Colorado Springs, four sisters, two of them whom live in Colorado Springs, and two living in Los Angeles, Calif.

The body was laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery in Grand Junction.[2 Dec. 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CAVE, Beulah Buchholz

Beulah Buchholz CAVE, one of the last members of one of Eagle County's pioneering families, died March 9 at Cherry hills Nursing Home in Englewood. She was 94.

Beulah was the granddaughter of Nicholas BUCHHOLZ, who settled in the Eagle area in 1882. She was born in Glenwood Springs on July 7, 1899 to Louise Warren BUCHHOLZ and John BUCHHOLZ. She lived in Eagle from her birth until 1974, when she moved to Englewood, while still maintaining her home here.

She attended the Barnes School of Business Denver and was Clerk and Deputy Assessor for Eagle County for many years. She was married to another long standing local, Orville CAVE, who preceded her in death in 1968. Her brother, Nicholas BUCHHOLZ, died in 1990.

Survivors include her sister-in-law, Jeannette Kiley BUCHHOLZ, and three nieces and one nephew; Mary Lynn Buchholz WINFREY, JoAnn Buchholz CRAMER, Jetty Buchholz STOCKEL, and John BUCHHOLZ.

A Mass and burial was celebrated at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Eagle, with interment in the family plot at Sunset View Cemetery on March 11, 1994.

Return to Top


The facts concerning the shooting at Basalt last week turn out to be quite different from the report received by THE BLADE the morning following the tragedy.

The Mexicans, who are American citizens, had been to the creek while their train lay in the yards. Hearing an engine bell ringing and seeing a train moving, they ran to the yards under the belief that their train was pulling out. They deny having molested Mrs. SHEPHERD in any way, but she ran into the house and reported to her husband that she had been attacked by the Mexicans. No children figured in the affair at all.

Mr. SHEPHERD, who was in bed, arose and dressed himself and seized a 22 caliber rifle, and Mrs. SHEPHERD also armed herself with a 38 caliber revolver. She fired once, but does not know whether she hit the Mexicans or not.

SHEPERD went to the caboose, found the Mexicans, demanded to know what they had been doing and at once began shooting into them, wounding two as stated last week.

Jose Y. CHACON, an old man 62 years of age, was mortally wounded and died on Friday. His son, wounded in the thigh, will recover.

SHEPERD and his wife and the Mexicans were arrested.

The latter were charged with way laying, but later the charge was withdrawn and the Mexicans discharged.

Coroner W. H. FARNUM held an inquest on the body of CHACON on Monday. The autopsy was performed by Dr. GILL. The following gentlemen constituted the jury: W. B. COLLINS, Richard GRIFFITH, E. G. MALLORY, Clinton GILLETT, S. P. SLOSS, T. G. McNEIL.

The verdict was substantially as follows: We, the jury, find that the said Jose Y. CHACON came to his death by a gunshot wound from a gun held in the hands of J. B. SHEPHERD or Mrs. Jennie SHEPHERD, and that said shooting was not with felonious intent.

Sheriff FARNUM arrived home last night. He reports that the SHEPHERDS had a preliminary hearing on Tuesday before Justice W. H. HARRIS, Judge T. A. RUCKER representing the defendants, the district attorney not being present. Both defendants were discharged.(5 November 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Louis SCHWARZ were pained to learn of the death of Mrs. CHADBOURNE, mother of Mrs. SCHWARZ, which occurred at the family residence in Eagle, Saturday, June 3, 1911.

Mrs. CHADBOURNE was a native of Ohio, being born in that state eighty-four years ago. She had lived in Colorado from 1880, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. SCHWARZ, for the past eighteen years. She leaves two sons, living in Montana, one daughter in California, and Mrs. SCHWARZ of Eagle to mourn her death.

Mrs. CHADBOURNE retained a keen mentality up until a short time before her death, when an attack of pneumonia weakened her and from the results of this sickness she finally succumbed.

Among a large number of relatives and friends from a distance who attended the funeral were the following: Ivy KIMBLE, a grandson, who came from Denver, Mrs. J. C. SCHWARZ, Mr. and Mrs. W. S. PARKISON, Mr. and Mrs. Ed S. HUGHES, Mr. Theodore ROSENBERG, Miss Helen ROSENBERG, Mrs. BERNHARDT, Miss WILLIAMS and Archdeacon DOGGETT, all of Glenwood.

Archdeacon DOGGETT conducted the Episcopal services at the church and Rev. COULTER officiated at the grave. The music by the choir and the solo by Rev. COULTER were especially effective. The quantity of floral tributes were banked about the casket and along the front and sides of the alter, presenting a beautiful and impressive effect.

Interment was made in Eagle cemetery.[9 June1911, Eagle County Blade, p1]

Return to Top

CHAMBERS, Charles W.

Chas. CHAMBERS died in Colorado Springs Sunday morning after a short illness with pneumonia.

Mr. CHAMBERS was taken ill at his ranch home on Brush creek about two weeks ago, and the first of last week Mrs. CHAMBERS took him to a hospital in Colorado Springs, where pneumonia developed. His condition rapidly became serious and very little hope for his recovery was had from the time he entered the hospital.

The deceased was one of the most highly respected ranchmen on Brush creek. He bought the old Frank LONG ranch in that neighborhood some four or five years ago, and during the short time he had lived there had made friends of all his neighbors, by his genial, kindly way, and neighborliness. Everyone liked Mr. CHAMBERS, and his death brings great sorrow among the many friends he has in the county.

Funeral services were held in Colorado Springs Tuesday, after which the body was taken to Denver for cremation. (19 April 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top


Glen CHAMBERS of Paonia died at his home Dec 20 following a lengthy illness. He was 81.

Mr. CHAMBERS was born March 9, 1914 in Littleton, Colo., the son of Elijah and Ina CHAMBERS. He spent his childhood in Littleton and Paonia. He married Iola PENFIELD June 26, 1938 in Hotchkiss, Colo.

Mr. CHAMBERS, with his two brothers, had managed the University Ranch in Littleton, then operated the diary in Eagle for three years. From 1944 until 1970 he was a bulk pant operator for Continental Oil Company. He then went into the logging business for seven years. He semi-retired and worked summers at Crooked Creek Ranch building lakes and roads.

He and his wife enjoyed many trips in their motor home. They moved to Paonia in 1983. Chambers built their log home in Eagle himself in the 1940's, now the location of Brenner's Restaurant. He loved the outdoors and enjoyed skiing with his son and daughter.

Survivors include his wife, Lola, son Melvin Chambers of Colorado Springs, and a daughter, Glenna STERACKI of Paonia, five grandchildren and seven great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents and three brothers, Joe, Ross and Bobby CHAMBERS.

He was a member of Castle Lodge No. 122 in Eagle and a 32nd degree member.

Funeral services were held Dec. 23 at Paonia United Methodist Church with Pastor Donna FORD officiating. Burial was in Cedar Hill cemetery in Paonia with the Masons conducting the graveside services. Memorial gifts may be made to Castle Lodge No. 122 or North Fork Ambulance Associates in Paonia or the Paonia United Methodist Church. Taylor Funeral Service, Inc. of Paonia was in charge of arrangements.

Return to Top



Tuesday last at 5:45 p.m., the spirit of Mrs. Mary Chandler winged its flight to the great beyond. Deceased had been a sufferer for 7 long years from that dread disease, consumption.
The climate changes of New Mexico, California and Colorado together with the skill of the best physicians failed to arrest the disease.
Monday of this week she was attacked with a hemorhage of the lungs which resulted in her death.
The deceased was born at Sheboygan Falls, Wis., 44-years ago. She leaves to mourn her death, a husband, two brothers and two sisters. Mrs. Owen Maylin one of the sisters was enroute from Seattle, Wash., to attend the funeral, but delayed on account of the storms, she did not reach here until after the funeral service. Funeral services were held from the M.E. church Friday at 1 p.m. Rev. Dearborn officiating. Interment at Basalt cemetery.

Card of Thanks

I wish to thank the friends and neighbors, for the many acts of kindness and sympathy shown during the sickness and burial of my beloved wife.
Basalt Journal, Basalt (Eagle County), Colorado, Feb. 18, 1899, page 1 - contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. C. S. CHATFIELD died Saturday night at the home of Mr. CHATFIELD's parents. It was buried Sunday afternoon, Rev. LELAND preaching the funeral sermon. Mr. and Mrs. CHATFIELD have the sympathy of the entire community. - Basalt Journal (7 May 1903, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

Return to Top


Willard Chatfield, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.S. Chatfield, passed away on Friday evening, after an illness of six days with pneumonia. The best medical skill proved unavailing. Willard was born February 1, 1880, and had lived at Basalt for many years, his father being connected with the firm of J.A. Smith & Co. He was possessed of many qualities of sterling worth which had endeared him to the entire community. The sincere sympathy of our people goes out to the bereaved parents in their hour of affliction.
BASALT JOURNAL, Eagle County, Colorado, May 05, 1900 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Ray W. CHATFIELD of Sunwoody, Ga., died Oct. 13. He was a graduate of Drexel University in 1966 with a degree in electrical engineering.

He was owner of Remote Control Systems Co. Inc. in Atlanta. Survivors include his wife, Diane; son, Scott CHATFIELD of Pittsburgh, Pa.; sister, Carol RUSS of Alanda, N. J.; and parents, Wayne and Grace CHATFIELD of Wayne, NJ

CHATFIELD spent his summers as a child with his grandparents, who were lifelong residents of the Eagle area and who donated a large portion of land to the city where the cemetery is today.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association.[23 Oct. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

Return to Top

CHAVEZ, Arthur A.

Services for Arthur A. CHAVEZ, a longtime Red Cliff local, will include a rosary to be held Friday, June 10, 15 7 p.m. and a mass at 10 a.m. Saturday, both at St. Patrick's in Minturn.

Internment will be at Greenwood Cemetery in Red Cliff. Services will be handled by Moynahan/O'Malia Mortuary.

Chavez, 84, passed away June 8, at Vail Valley Medical Center.

He was born Feb, 7, 1910, in Ojo Feliz, NM to Daniel and Rosenalda CHAVEZ.

On Oct 6, 1934, Chavez married Amalia MONTOYA and moved his family to Red Cliff in 1949. He worked at New Jersey Zinc Mine in Gilman for 40 years and retired with a Certificate of Honor for Safety in 1974. From then to 1990, he served on the Red Cliff Water and Sanitation Board and received an Outstanding Duty plaque for his contribution.

He is survived by his wife, Amalia; brothers, Eloy and Jesus of San Francisco; a sister, Piminia CHAVEZ of La Cueva, NM; sons and daughter-in-laws, Ernest and Hazel, Richard and Frieda of Minutrn, and Lawrence and Linda of Denver; daughters and son-in-laws, Janice and Walt, and Arlene and Anthony of Red Cliff, Rosella and Joe of Pueblo, Beverly and John of Edwards, and Alice of Pueblo; 22 grand children and six great grand children.

Pall bearers will be Darrel, Randy, Ernie, Arthur, Jarrod and Derrick.

Return to Top

CHESLEY, John William

John William CHESLEY was born at Georgetown, Ill., on May 22, 1919, being 14 years, 2 months and 11 days old when he met his unfortunate death August 3, 1933. Billy, as he was called by all who knew him, was a likable lad, with a sunny disposition that endeared him to all and made him a favorite among playmates. He was a great lover of flowers and of animals, always doing some little kind act for some poor dumb beast.

Those who mourn the lad's death are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. CHESLEY; one sister, Dorothy; three brothers, James, Thomas, jr., and Paul, and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Sam HOLLINGSWORTH; and a host of friends that will miss Billy and sympathize sincerely with the near relatives in their sorrow at Evergreen cemetery at Red Cliff.[11 Aug. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top



A letter has been received by the Herald Democrat from Tybo, Nevada, from Dall COLLINS asking the whereabouts of a former Miss Rose CLANCY, who was living in Leadville, and whom he thinks is still residing here but may now be married. At any rate Mr. COLLINS is anxious to hear from the lady as he desires to inform her of the death of her brother who was killed by a cave-in at the "25" mine at Tybo at 3:30 a.m. January 16, and was buried at Tybo on January 20. Mr. COLLINS writes that Mr. CLANCY was taken out of the mine alive but died soon afterward, and asked the writer of the letter to notify his sister in Leadville of his sudden death.

It is learned from friends of the CLANCYS at this place that the above refers to Hugh CLANCY, well known here. There were quite a family of the CLANCYS residing at Gilman a year ago - Will, Tom, Joe and Hugh, and two sisters, Alice and Rose. Some months ago the sisters went to Leadville, where Miss Alice soon afterward married, but we have been unable to learn the name of her husband.

The brothers also left this district some months ago, the last to have, Will, having departed about December 1st, it is believed two of the brothers, if not all three beside the one killed, were at Tybo. It is therefore difficult to understand, if this was the case at the time of the accident, why the stranger, instead of one of the brothers, was detailed to communicate with the sister in Leadville.(30 Jan 1902, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

Return to Top

CLARK, Jerome

According to the Leadville Herald Democrat word was received in Salida Saturday by Mrs. Joseph MCKENNA of the death in Long Beach, Calif., on March 20, of Jerome CLARK.

Jerome CLARK was one of the old-time miners in the Gilman and Leadville districts, and he and his wife were residents of Gilman for a great many years, where he was employed by Hicks & Hannington and later by the Empire Zinc company. Mrs. CLARK died a few years ago, and not long afterward her husband moved to California, occasionally visiting old friends here since his removal. Mrs. MCKENNA has gone to California to attend to the return of Mr. CLARK's body to Red Cliff, where it will be buried beside the grave of his wife.[27 Mar. 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


W. J. CLARK was born in Madison county, Ark., February 19, 1852 and died September 21, 1917. He was a member of the Missionary Baptist church for 32 years, and was a member of the I. O. O. F. at Spring Valley, Ark. for 32 years.

He was 64 years, 7 months, 2 days old when he passed away. He leaves a wife, four sons and one daughter and a host of other relatives to mourn his loss. The community at large, neighbors and friends, extend their heartfelt sympathy to Mrs. CLARK and children in this, their sad hour of sorrow.[28 Sept. 1917, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CLARON, 'baby'

A thrill of surprise, mingled with sincere regret and sympathy, pervaded many honmes in Basal Thursday morning, when it was announced that, Baby Claron, the only child of Mr. and Mrs. J.P. McMillen, had died of pneumonia. The little one had only been ill for two or three days, and his condition was not considered serious, until late in the afternoon Wednesday, when a change for the worse came, and about 9 o'clock Thursday morning, the spirit of the little sufferer winged its way into the presence of Him, who has said "suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not for of such is the kingdom of heaven."

Funeral services will be held from the church at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Interment at Basalt cemetery.

Funeral services will be in charge of Rev. Hollenback.

The bereaved parents have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in the loss they have sustained.
BASALT JOURNAL, Eagle County, Colorado, Jan. 20, 1900 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Jasper N. CLIFFORD died on Sunday, March 15, at the county hospital at Gypsum of miners' consumption.

Mr. CLIFFORD was one of the old timers of the county, having been one of the early settlers of Taylor hill and Battle mountain, and for years had followed the business of mining. He was a man of retiring disposition and exemplary habits who made many friends wherever known. About two years ago his health began to fail and during the past year he had been an invalid, fully realizing that his end was not far off.

The deceased was born at Chillicothe, Missouri, and was a member of the Knights of Pythias, which organization had charge of the funeral.(26 Mar 1903, Eagle County Blade, p. 4)

Return to Top

CLINE, Frank


Frank CLINE, 19 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. CLINE passed away at his home in Minturn Easter morning.

The young man died following an illness of pneumonia.

Born in Minturn Sept. 28, 1923, Frank was one of the most popular young people of that town. During his school life, he took an interest in music, and played the drums in the school orchestra. During the past six years, his health restricted his activities.

Pallbearers at the funeral services yesterday were six young men, all close friends and school mates of Frank's as follows: Arthur GUY, Robert COLLINS, Garth BAYER, Dempsey PERKINS, Mike McBREEN, Kenneth SULLIVAN.

Besides his parents, he leaves to mourn his passing, one sister, Mrs. Mary Dell McDOLE, of Salenas, Calif.; three brothers Harvey W., of Salida, Charles A. of Seattle, Wash., and Jimmie Benjamin of the home; his grandmother, Mrs. Mary E. EISLE of Minturn.

He will be mourned and missed by many friends and acquaintances who are sorrowful at the passing of life just coming into manhood.

Funeral services, conducted by Dr. O. F. ARCHER, pastor of the Eagle Methodist church, and in charge of Andre's Funeral Home, were held from the Presbyterian church in Minturn, with interment in the Mount View cemetery at Minturn.

Friends of the young man, who had known him throughout his life, paid their last tribute with the three beautiful songs, "The old Rugged Cross," "Sometime We'll Understand," and "God Be with You Until We Meet Again." Those composing the quartet were Mr. and Mrs. James COLLINS, Mrs. George BRYANT, and Howard BAYER, with Mrs. BAYER accompanying at the piano.(30 April 1943, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p. 1)

Return to Top

CLOW, David

Lays Head on Rail - Train Cuts it Off.
David CLOW of Wolcott, was killed by a Rio Grande train this morning at about four o'clock by having his head severed from his body, the head being found lying between the rails and the body on the outside of the rails.

Undertaker GRAHAM of Red Cliff was notified to come down and take charge of the body for the county. As there was no evidence of foul play of any find it is probable that the coroner will hold no inquest.

Apparently Mr. CLOW committed suicide by deliberately placing his neck upon the track so that the train would end his troubles, whatever they were.

David CLOW has been a resident of this county for the past twenty years and is well known by most of the old timers of the county. He has no relatives as far as we can ascertain at the present time, and it is thought that he will be buried by the county.

Mr. CLOW has recently been working for Mat KOPENWINKER of Wolcott and just came to Eagle a few days ago.[20 Aug. 1915, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

COBLE, Alberta M.

Alberta M. Coble, 75, died April 16 in Denver. She was born on May 5, 1923 in Redcliff. She was preceded in death by her husband, James Coble; daughter, Paula Jean; son, Robert Scott; and sister, Norma Harner.

She is survived by her children, Stephen (Nancy) Coble, Warren (Mary) Coble, James J. (Pat) Coble, Thomas W. (Diane) Coble, John A. Coble, Mark L. Coble, Terry Coble, Megan J. Coble, Annie M. Coble and Tricia K. (Jeff) Smith, all of Denver; her sister, Lucia Hyde, Aurora; and 14 grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

The family suggests memorial contributions may be made to Porter Hospice, 2465 S. Downing #202 Denver, CO 80210.

Interment was at Fort Logan National Cemetery.

(Leadville Herald Democrat, May 6, 1999, vol. 120, No. 18)

Return to Top

COBY, Charles Ray

Charles Ray COBY, of Gypsum, died March 18 at the Colorado State Veterans Nursing Home in Rifle. He was 74.

He was born April 18, 1920 in Sunlight, Colo., the son of Joe & Cathrine (GODEC) COBY. His family moved to Gilman when he was three months old. He attended grade school in Gilman and high school in Red Cliff.

Chuck worked as a mine shift foreman for the New Jersey Zinc Company from 1938 - 1982. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1945. He trained at Fort Leonard, Mo. and spent the remainder of his service time in Europe.

He moved to Gypsum in 1983. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, snowmobiles, and gardening. He leaves many friends, neighbors, and family who will miss him.

He is survived by a sister, Anna RONQUIST of Thousand Oaks, Calif., a niece, Betty EVANS and family of Newbury, CA.

Cremation has taken place. A memorial service will be held at Fall Creek this summer. Contributions in memory of Charles COBY may be made to: Valley View Hospital, Pulmonary Rehab Department, 1906 Blake Avenue, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601.

Farnum - Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 30 March 1995)

Return to Top

COCK, Dora

Funeral services were conducted in Eagle Wednesday, August 15 for Mrs. Dora COCK, pioneer Burns lady who died in Denver Saturday at the age of 76. Services were conducted by Rev. Allan JACKSON of the Eagle Methodist Church and burial was in the Eagle cemetery.

Dora Annabelle KING was born in Polk City, Polk County, Iowa, Dec 2, 1874 and came to Colorado and the Burns country when she was a young girl, in 1889. There she met Walter James COCK, and was married to him September 15, 1892. The ceremony was performed by the late John EDGE, prominent county stock grower.

The couple's ten children were all born in the Burns vicinity, with a daughter, Mary Jane preceding the mother in death. Mr. COCK passed away several years ago.

Mrs. COCK is survived by nine daughters and sons, 22 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren.

The children are Beatrice C. OWENS, Walter Brian, Joseph Hobson, Henry George, Harry Arminta, Charles Albert, Dorothy Nettie WELLS, Bertha Ello STULL and Earnest Lee.

Return to Top

COCK, Ernest Lee

Ernest Lee COCK of McCoy died at home July 27. He was 83.

Mr. COCK was born Sept. 13, 1913, in the mountains northwest of Burns, along Sunnyside Creek, the youngest of 10 children born to Walter COCK and Dora Annabelle KING COCK. He lived with his family in the Sunnyside Creek area, where he attended school. He married Doris Lucille ROMINE and they had three children. They moved to Colorado Springs, where Ernie worked for Aircraft Mechanics. He was also with the Auxiliary Military Police.

In the summer of 1943, he and his three children moved back to the Burns area, where he worked for the Benton Land and Cattle Co. for several years. In 1950, he began working for Eagle County as road overseer on the Burns Colorado River Road. He and his children lived at the upper Colorado River Maintenance housing. He worked for Eagle County for 33 years.

In 1964, he married Elmira Olive MELENDY HOPKINS and they continued living there until Ernie retired in 1983. They moved to McCoy, where the family still lives.

Ernie was a great outdoorsman, and he enjoyed all outdoor activities, including hunting and fishing. In his early years, he packed fish, by horseback, in milk can and stocked the upper Flat Tops Wilderness area lakes.

He was also an excellent mechanic and would never turn away a person who needed either a vehicle repaired or a flat tire fixed. He was a caring man and comfortable being home and helping anyone who stopped by. He touched the lives of many and was loved by all who knew him.

He is survived by his wife, Mira; his children, Virginia Lucille, Robert Lee and James Earl, all of Denver; three stepchildren, Myrtle MAE of Saratoga, Wyo., Richard LANE of Elko, Nev., and Wilen ERNEST of Salida; a brother Henry George of Denver; a sister, Dorothy of Grand Junction; 24 grandchildren; 42 great-grandchildren; two great-great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.[5 Aug. 1997, Vail Daily]

Return to Top

COCK, Walter J.

Walter B. COCK of Burns informs us of the death of his father, Walter J. COCK, who died at the Solandt hospital in Hayden on Feb 2, after an illness of several days. Walter COCK was born in London, England Feb 22, 1859.

When he was 16 years of age he worked his way to this country and in 1886 went to work on the Rio Grande railroad as it was being built through the Glenwood canyon. From then on he lived in Colorado, taking up a homestead near Burns, where he was married to Dora Anabell KING. Ten children were born to this union, only one child preceding him in death. In the fall of 1913 he moved to Ymapa, and was employed there by an agricultural implement firm, going with this firm to Craig two years later.

He leaves to mourn his death, five sons and four daughters, seven of whom were present at the funeral services. The daughters are Beatrice C. OWEN, Harriet A. BURROWS, Bertha STULL, all of Burns; Dorothy WELLS of Grand Junction. The five sons are Walter B., Joseph H., Henry G., all of Burns; Charles A. of Bond, and Ernest L. of Colorado Springs.

Return to Top


Lee A. COFER 74, died Dec. 8, 1993, in Edwards

Mr. COFER was born Dec. 28, 1918, in Chanute, Kan, to Bithel and Jane (TULLEY) COFER. Mr. COFER has lived in Edwards for the past 14 years.

He married Ann MCDONALD in Boulder on June 13, 1949. He worked as a business manager for Shapiro Construction Co. for five years before he retired. Before working for Shapiro Construction, he owned and operated the Mountaineer Gift Shop on Pearl Street in Boulder with his brother Lin. Mr. COFER enjoyed gardening and writing letters to the editor of local newspapers.

He has been a member of the Shriner's Organization since 1966

Survivor's include his wife Ann COFER of Edwards; his son , Jim COFER of Denver; his daughter, Jane NEWBILL of Boulder; his sister Elizabeth BILLS of Colorado Springs; his brother, Lin COFER of Boulder and three grandchildren

Memorial services were Tuesday, Dec. 14, 1993, at the Presbyterian Church of Boulder. The Rev. John HESS officiated

Donations may be sent to: Jim COFER, for Jim's Transplant Fund, 98 Wadsworth Blvd., Suite 127-259, Lakewood, CO 80226.

Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. (Vail Daily Saturday, December 18, 1993)

Return to Top

COLE, Patricia Ann Koonce

Patricia Ann COLE, formerly Patricia Ann KOONCE, age 50, passed away peacefully Wednesday, Sept. 10, at Montrose Memorial Hospital after a long and very courageous battle with cancer.

Pat was born May 15, 1947 in Madison, Wisc., to Norton M. and Vivian A. KROHN. She grew up in Madison and graduated from Madison West High School in 1965. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1969. She married Harold W. "Hal" KOONCE Jr. of Eagle on Sept. 7, 1968. The couple moved to Montrose in 1980, and Hal preceded Pat in death in 1983.

Pat married Nicholas COLE on Feb. 24, 1996 in Montrose, where they continued to live until her death. Besides COLE, she is survived by her three children: Nathan "Kacey" KOONCE of Denver; Ryan KOONCE of Seattle, Wash.; and Anna KOONCE of Montrose. She is survived by: Her mother, Vivian KROHN of Madison, Wisc.; sisters Nancy KROHN of Evansville, Wisc. and Martha BEROWSKI of St. Paul, Minn.; a brother, John KROHN of Green Bay, Wisc.; and numerous other relatives and friends. She was preceded in death by her father, Norton KROHN.

Services were held Sept. 11 and 12 at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Montrose. Memorial donations may be made in Pat's name to the Montrose Public Library, 434 South 1st, Montrose, Co 81401.

The family remarks: "Pat was the best wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. Even during her struggle with illness, she was a source of constant support, inspiration, and love to her family and friends. She will be loved and missed forever."[18 Sept. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

Return to Top


Young Man at McCoy Selects the Gun Route in Removing Self

The Denver Post of last Saturday printed the following dispatch from McCoy:

Daniel COLEMAN, aged 20 years, a miner at the Red Gorge copper camp, at the western terminus of the Moffat road, committed suicide at the McCoy hotel in McCoy, at 11 o'clock last night by sending a bullet from a rifle through his heart. COLEMAN came from Kansas, but his people now live at Spokane. COLEMAN had been despondent for the past few days because, it is understood, he had been jilted by the girl he was engaged to marry in Kansas.

COLEMAN occupied a room at the McCoy hotel with George ARLINGDALE. He came into the room at 11 o'clock last night after saluting his roommate, picked up the latter's rifle and said: "George, I am going to end it all now." He placed the muzzle of the rifle against his left breast directly over the heart, stooped over and released the trigger. He was dead before his body struck the floor.(5 December 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

COLLEPS, Geo., Sr.

Geo. COLLEPS, Sr., died at a hospital in Glenwood Springs Monday, March 5, after a long illness, and was buried in that city Tuesday, March 6.

The deceased was the father of Geo. COLLEPS, of Eagle, and came from his former home in Illinois some two years ago to make his home with his son on the ranch on Eby creek north of Eagle. Last summer he fell and broke his hip and has been confined to the hospital since that time, his extreme old age being against his recovery from the injury. He was about 83 years of age.[9 March 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

COLLETT, George Donald

George Donald COLLETT of Clifton, a retired maintenance supervisor for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad, died Oct. 14 at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction following a short illness. He was 79.

Mr. COLLETT was a Clifton resident since 1984. He was born Jan. 7, 1915 to George Donald and Lucille Theresa COOPER COLLETT in Glenwood Springs. He graduated from high school in Chanute, Kans. He married Dorothy Elsie LEA on Oct. 3, 1936 in Salida, Colo.

He was a member of St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Grand Junction, as well as the Elks Lodge of Glenwood Springs and the Brotherhood of the Rio Grande Western Railroad. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, repairing televisions and ushering at his church,

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy; a daughter and son-in-law, Sonya and Les BERTROCH of Delta; five brothers, Eugene and Jack of Ely, Nev., Bill of Washington, Fred of Grand Junction, and Donald of Little Rock, Ark.; two grandchildren Melody CLARK of Grand Junction, and Valerie ROSS of Eagle; and six great-grandchildren. A. son, George Edward and two brothers, Bob and Eddie, are deceased.

Memorial contributions may be made to the /St. Joseph's Catholic Church Building Fund, P.O. Box 246, Grand Junction. Co 81502.

A memorial service was held Oct. 16 at CALLAHAN-EDFAST Mortuary, with the Rev. George COSTANZO officiating.[3 Nov. 1994, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p13]

Return to Top


Ed Collins, another old gentleman from this county, died at Glenwood springs on Sunday morning. Deceased formerly worked in the mines on Battle mountain as well as among the ranchmen of the valley, and had been in ill health for some time with dropsy. He was about 60 years of age, and so far as known leaves no relatives in this vicinity. Interment occurred at Glenwood.
Eagle County Blade, Nov. 30, 1899 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Another Pioneer Called.
James COLLINS died at his home in Red Cliff last Tuesday, March 1. Mr. COLLINS had been a sufferer from miners' consumption for years, but had been unable to attend to his duties as town marshal of Red Cliff, but a short time prior to his death.

"Jim" COLLINS came to Eagle county as a young man in the early eighties, first locating in Eagle park and later going to Battle mountain and Red Cliff. He was a good, patriotic citizen during his whole life being active in community affairs, was a member of the Minturn Masonic lodge and was prominent in the councils of the Democratic party.

He is survived by the widow, one daughter, Mrs. Marie WARREN, and five sons, Stewart, Robert, Thomas, Philip, James and Harvey, all living in Red Cliff with the exception of the latter, who moved to California a few years ago.[4 Mar. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


DEATH CLAIMS MRS. LAURA COLLINS OF MINTURN, FRIDAY - The death of Mrs. Laura COLLINS, resident of Minturn, was revealed this morning, she died succeeding a major operation at Porter's hospital in this city. Mrs. Collins, who was well known by many in Glenwood Springs, had been a patient the past two weeks. At the time of her death she was 49 years, nine months and 17 day old, being born in Avon, Colo., in 1894. She owned and operated the confectionary store in Minturn the past several years preceeding her death.

Mrs. Collins is survived by her son Robert F. Collins, and two daughters. Final rites will be conducted at the Masonic Temple in Minturn, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock with burial in the Minturn cemetery. The J. I. Burdge Funeral Home of this city will be in charge of the services. (Contributed by Lana TROY)

Return to Top


Since 1887, Lottie COLLINS, the widow of James Collins, has been a well known citizen of Red Cliff and Minturn. Born near Stockholm, Sweden, March 18, 1865, she came to the United States in 1885, going directly to Red Cliff, Colo. Here she met James Collins, the a young Irish miner, to whom she was married May 24, 1887. This estimable lady readily took to the life of a frontier mining camp, and became one of the respected citizens of the then booming mining camp, taking an active part in its life, and raising a large family of good, loyal American citizens. For a time after their marriage the couple lived at what was then known as Cleveland, later Bells Camp, one and one-half miles above Red Cliff on Battle Mountain. Later moving to Red Cliff she lived there until Mr. Collins died, eighteen years ago, when she moved to Minturn to be near children living there. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Collins - seven sons and one daughter - Stewart, Harvey, Robert, Thomas, James L., James A., Phillip, and Tad, and Marie. James L. died in infancy, Stewart lost his life in an accident on Battle mountain a number of years ago, and Robert died within the past year. Harvey and Tom live in Red Cliff, Jas. and Tad in Minturn, Phillip in Summerfield, Kan., and Marie, Mrs. Ray WARREN, lives in Red Cliff. There are two brothers surviving - Axel MOORE of Boulder, Colo., and August DICKSON of Glenwood Springs.

She passed away in a hospital at Fairplay, Colo., November 3, as a result of injuries received in an automobile accident October 29.

Funeral services were held from the Presbyterian church in Minturn Sunday afternoon, attended by a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends, Rev. James McINNES delivering the discourse. The body was then taken to Red Cliff, and laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery beside those of her loved ones who had passed before.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star for fourteen years, from which she derived a great deal of comfort and enjoyment. She has been a loyal and faithful member of the Mountain Presbyterian church for many years.

Return to Top

COLLINS, Mary Ellen Murphy

Mrs. Mary COLLINS, mother of Thomas COLLINS died last Sunday morning at 4 o'clock after a short illness.

Mary Ellen MURPHY was born in Elgin, Illinois, in 1836, being 77 years old at the time of her death. She was married to Michal COLLINS in 1858, her husband dying in 1873. She came to Colorado in 1879 and to Eagle ten years ago, which has been her home since.

The remains were interred in Eagle cemetery Monday afternoon. The funeral services were performed by Rev. BASHAM.[19 Dec. 1913, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

COLLINS, Robert A.

Robert A. COLLINS, Minturn business man, native born citizen of Eagle county, died at a hospital in Pueble Wednesday afternoon, where he had been confined by illness for some time.

Mr. COLLINS had been in very poor health for some years. He had been treated in several hospitals during his illness, but has gradually been growing worse, no treatment having been discover by the best of physicians that could cure him.

"Bob" COLLINS was born in Red Cliff, and has lived his entire life in the county. He was associated with Frank V. BURBANK in the mercantile business for a number of years, and a few years ago purchased the e drug store at Minturn of G. D. ROBERTS. Shortly after going into this venture his health began to fail, and he has been under treatment and in hospitals most of the time since.

Of an attractive personality, Bob had many friends, and his death is leaned of with sadness by hundreds of residents of the county.

Return to Top

COLLINS, Stewart H.

Death in Battle Mts. Auto Accident. Car Plunges Into Eagle River Canyon--Stewart COLLINS Killed--Others Only Slightly Injured In Wreck.

Skiding from the high road around Battle Mountain, a car driven by Stewart H. COLLINS of Red Cliff plunged 500 feet down into the Eagle river canyon Tuesday afternoon, causing injuries to COLLINS which resulted in his death a short time later. Mrs. Nell COLLINS, wife of the dead man, Harvey COLLINS, his brother, a man named Townsley, and Jim TREJILLO, who was riding on the running board--all escaped with a few minor cuts and bruises.

The accident occurred at a point along the steep slope of Battle Mountain about 150 yards above what is known as "Lover's Leap," the car plunging heaps of scattered boulders and finally coming to rest against one of the large rocks before it had gone all of the way to the canyon floor. Passing motorists carried the injured persons to the Empire Zinc company hospital at Gilman. Because of the serious nature of COLLINS' injuries, it was decided to take him to Red Cliff and put him on a train for a Salida hospital. He died shortly before Red Cliff was reached.

The accident occurred when COLLINS attempted to turn out from another automobile and a team of horses which he met at the point where the accident occurred. Although he was driving slowly, it is said, the car skidded slightly and went over into the canyon. The fatal accident occurred about 5 o'clock Tuesday afternoon.

Stewart COLLINS was the eldest son of the late James COLLINS, and was born on Battle Mountain near Bells Camp about 38 years ago. For a number of years he was deputy county treasurer of Eagle county, under A. S. LITTLE. At the time of his death he was a bookkeeper for the Empire Zinc company at Gilman. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Nell COLLINS, and by two sons, Stewart, jr., age 8, and James, age 11.

His mother lives at Minturn; a sister, Mrs. Marie Warren, Red Cliff; two brothers, Harvey and Tom, Red Cliff; another, Robt. COLLINS, a merchant of Minturn; a brother Phil COLLINS, Kansas City, MO; and a brother Jim COLLINS, Greeley. The funeral will be conducted today at 2 p. m. at Red Cliff, under auspices of the Minturn lodge of Masons, of which he was a member. Rev. YOUNG of Leadville will preach the funeral sermon and interment will be made in the cemetery at Red Cliff. All members of the family are expected to be present for the funeral.[16 Nov. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CONERTY, Michael F.

Michael F. CONERTY was well known in Red Cliff, having a number of years ago been employed by Fleming & Evans as a tinner. Mr. CONERTY died in Leadville last Saturday and the funeral was held Tuesday of this week. The following from the Herald Democrat contains the particulars of his death:

Michael F. CONERTY, a well known tinner of Leadville, who has for a long time been connected with the Western Hardware company, died last evening (Saturday) at 8:30 o'clock at the home of his sister, Mrs. M. F. SWEENEY, 317 East Fifth street, as the result of injuries received on September 4. Mr. CONERTY was working on the roof of a building when, through the breaking of a ladder, he was thrown to the ground and seriously injured about the ribs, as well as breaking his left leg. He had been delirious over since the accident. Deceased was 40 years of age the day of the accident. He had been in Leadville for the past twenty years and had many friends who will lean with regret of his death.(15 October 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


Eagle County Pioneer Passes Away on Day Following Marriage.
The press dispatches of Monday morning announced the death at Liberty, Mo., on Sunday afternoon, of John L. CONGER, formerly a resident of Eagle county.

Mr. CONGER, who was 55 years old, was married at Liberty last Saturday to Miss Katherine Belle JOHNSTON, of Kansas City, and his death occurred the next day, following an acute attack of indigestion.

For many years Mr. CONGER was a prominent figure in ranching circles of the county, being one of the pioneer ranchers of the Piney country, where he amassed a fortune in the cattle business. H. O. BROWN now owns and lives on the place still known as the CONGER ranch.

A few years ago he closed out his interests in Eagle county, and purchased a cattle ranch in Garfield county, near Rifle. He disposed of this property and business two years ago, and had practically retired from active participation in the livestock business. Since disposing of his Garfield county holdings, and following his separation from his wife, Mr. CONGER called Glenwood Springs his home, though he spent much of his time elsewhere, spending several months the past two years in Eagle, where he enjoyed mixing with his friends and neighbors of earlier years.

A son and daughter of the deceased man now live at Rifle. Mr. CONGER was a member of the Rifle Masonic lodge.[21 Jan. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Mrs. L. E. COOLEY of Gypsum passed away at the Porter hospital in Glenwood Springs Wednesday evening at 5:00 o'clock, after a lingering illness of several months.

We have been unable to learn of the funeral arrangements at the time of going to press.(27 March 1936, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top

COOK, Rev. George

A telegram received by F. L. NEWCOMER Wednesday announced the death that morning of Rev. George COOK at a hospital in Denver.

The deceased was a resident of this community for many years. He came to Eagle as pastor of the Methodist church which position he filled for several years. Owing to poor health he resigned the ministry while here and took up ranching for a time in an effort to regain his health. He bought and farmed the Sweetwater ranch, now owned by the CUTTINGS, and he and Mrs. COOK lived there three or four years. Later he was on Bert WOLVERTON's Third Gulch ranch on Brush creek and then moved onto the KIRT's ranch in Yoeman Park.

Four or five years ago Mr. and Mrs. COOK moved to Denver, and his health has been failing steadily since, until recently he was removed to a hospital where the end came Wednesday morning.

Mr. COOK was a member of Castle lodge A. F. & A. M., of eagle, which received notice of the death with a request for a Masonic funeral, which was authorized, and the deceased will be buried in Denver today with the rites of that order.

Mr. and Mrs. COOK have many friends here who regret his death, and who extend the deepest sympathy to the bereaved widow in the loss of her beloved husband. (28 June 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top


Al COULTER, one of the oldest residents in this county of the Colorado river valley, died at his home ten miles north of Gypsum, Friday, November 9, 1934.

Mr. COULTER, who was nearing the 80 year mark in life, had not been in robust health for some time, but his condition at the time of his passing away was not such as to alarm those around him. A companion had came into the house to prepare the evening meal and as he went about the work, a sigh from Mr. COULTER attracted his attention and when he reached the former's side he was lying on the bed, dead.

Funeral services were to be held in Glenwood Sunday last. (16 Nov 1934, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top

COWDEN, Lewis S.

Former Eagle resident Lewis S. COWDEN died Jan. 17 at St. John's Hospice in Denver following a lengthy illness.

COWDEN, who worked as a state water commissioner for over 20 years, was responsible for checking agricultural and domestic headgates on the Eagle and Blue Rivers and all of their tributaries.

"He walked those rivers from one end to the other," remembers his wife, Mary Ellen.

Lewis COWDEN knew every inch of the Eagle River from its headwaters on Tennessee Pass to its confluence with the Colorado River at Dotsero.

He was born Jan 27, 1909 in a coal mining town in South Canyon (west of Glenwood Springs). His parents were Fred B. COWDEN and Grace G. Singleton COWDEN. The family moved to Eagle in 1915, where Lewis attended school. He graduated from Eagle High School in 1926, then spent two years at Colorado A & M where he studied surveying. COWDEN earned a Congressional appointment to the Naval Academy. He left the Academy and enlisted in the Navy in 1931. He served as a first-class aviation machine mate. On July 3, 1934, he married Mary Ellen COWDEN in Norfolk, VA.

From 1939 - 1941, the COWDENS owned and operated a gas station in Eagle where Dalco Realty is currently located. In 1941, the Navy hired COWDEN as a civil service employee. He spent a month in San Diego, then was sent to Pearl Harbor in June, 1941, and along with his family survived the attack on Pearl Harbor in Dec., 1941. He spent the remainder of the war as a Marine reservist on Ford Island. After the war, the COWDENS returned to Eagle. For six months, they raised cattle, wheat, and Red McClure potatoes on Bellyache.

In May, 1948, he accepted a position as State Water Commissioner. He retired in that position in January, 1975. He and Mary Ellen built a house that still stands on the corner of Sixth and Washington streets, across from the town park. The family shares many beautiful memories of the hose and family gatherings under the big weeping willow tree. Lewis COWDEN was a talented photographer. Friends remember that he always carried his camera with him. One of his best pictures was of the Mount of the Holy Cross. His children used that photo as the basis of a painting that they presented to Lewis and Mary Ellen on their 50the wedding anniversary.

His stop-sister, Lucille LIEBER of Eagle, remembers that he was fond of the Eagle Valley, and enjoyed being outdoors. He was well informed on county history. LIEBER remembers that as a young girl, when she worked at the Montgomery Hotel (located on the corner of Third and Wall Streets, where the Eagle Valley Telephone Company building was located) as a young girl. Lewis showed up at the end of her shift each evening and walked her home. Friends also remember him as a meticulous record-keeper, and an avid sports fan.

"He was a perfect husband for 59 years," says Mary Ellen COWDEN.

In addition to his wife, COWDEN is survived by his daughter, Mary Louise SULLIVAN and her husband Edwin of Denver; and a son, Lewis "Ike" COWDEN and his wife Patty of Big Piney, Wyo. Survivors also include a sister, Ethel FESSENDEN and her husband Leo of San Clemente, Calif.; step-sister Lucille LIEBER of Eagle; a brother, Wayne C. COWDEN and his wife Donnalyn of Pleasanton, Calif., six grandchildren and 10 great- grandchildren.(Eagle Valley Enterprise, 27 Jan 1994, p.13) And this from the Rocky Mt. News - COWDEN, Lewis S. - Lewis S. COWDEN, 84, of Denver died Jan 17 at Hospice of St. John in Lakewood. No services were held. The body was cremated. Mr. COWDEN was born Jan 27, 1909, in South Canon. He married Mary Ellen COWDEN July 3, 1934, in Norfolk, Va. He was a state water commissioner and Navy veteran. Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Mary SULLIVAN of Denver; a son, Lewis R. of Big Piney, Wyo.,, Two sisters, Ethel FESSENDEN of San Clemente, Calif., and Licilecq LIEBER of Eagle; a brother, Wayne of Pleasenton, Calif., six grandchildren; and ten great-grandchildren.[29 Jan. 1994, Rocky Mountain News]

Return to Top

COWDEN, Mary LaDoan

Mary LaDoan COWDEN of Brighton, Formerly of the Eagle Valley, died June 15 at Porter Hospital. She was 65.

Mrs. COWDEN was born April 9, 1929 in Denver to Ralph Jones and Irene Bratton. She spent her youth in Yampa and lived in Edwards and the Eagle Valley area. She married James D. COWDEN on Aug. 13, 1945 in Glenwood Springs. A homemaker, she enjoyed gardening, sewing and gambling. She moved to Brighton in 1991.

Survivors include: sons Jimmy Dean COWDEN of Meardin, Wyo.; Billy Ray COWDEN and Freddie Lee COWDEN both of Eagle; John Douglas of Ft. Worth, Tex.; Mike COWDEN of Glen Rock, Wyo.; Donald COWDEN of Brighton; daughters Bertha Irene DILBECK of Yucaipa, Calif.; Bonnie RANER of Brighton; Sandy McCARTHY of Colorado Springs; and Twilla COWDEN of Yucaipa; and 16 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.( 23 June 1994, Eagle Valley Enterprise)

Return to Top

COX, Ray W.

One of Minturn's most respected citizens died suddenly and without any previous sickness early Tuesday morning when Ray W. COX passed away at the Minturn hospital. We have not been able to learn when the funeral will be held. (20 July 1934, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top

COX, William Michael

William Michael Cox of Gypsum died Dec. 22 at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs, Colo. He was 24.

Mr. COX was a Gypsum resident for the past six years and worked as a self-employed general contractor. He enjoyed the outdoors, fishing and hunting

Survivors include his wife, Melissa; a son, Christopher, and daughter Brittany, both of Gypsum; his mother and father; sister Michelle COX of Glenwood Springs, Colo.; brother Marcus ROOF, also of Glenwood Springs, Colo.; and numerous other relatives in the valley

A memorial service for the family and friends was held Dec. 28 at the LDS Church in Gypsum. Cremation has taken place. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 1/2/97)

Return to Top

CRAM, Ernest LeLand

Ernest Leland CRAM, 65, of Phoenix died Feb. 16. Services were Feb. 19 in Phoenix. Mr. CRAM was born in Ione. He was truck driver and self employed handyman. Mr. CRAM served in the Navy as radioman. Survivors include his wife, Virginia; a daughter, Karen NORD; two sons, Dean and Danny; his father, K. W. WILLIAMS; a brother, Benjaman; and three sisters, Edith GRISHAM, Winnie PRICE, and Beverly SOUTHERLUND. Contributions; Elks Fund, American Legion Post 107 or American Cancer Society.[]8 March 1993, Rocky Mountain News]

Return to Top

CRAMP, Mrs. W.H.

Mrs. W. H. CRAMP passed away at a hospital in Glenwood Springs late Tuesday afternoon, following an illness of three weeks. Mrs. CRAMP's condition had given her friends no encouragement for her recovery since her removal to the hospital ten days ago. A diseased condition of the heart was the immediate cause of death.

Mrs. CRAMP and her husband are old residents of Garfield county, and had lived in Eagle but a few weeks, but during her short residence here, had made many dear friends.

Her husband and son, Erwin D. CRAMP, the latter for years bookkeeper of the First National Bank of this city, have the deepest sympathy of their friends and neighbors in Eagle.

Burial services were held in Glenwood at 3:30 p. m., Thursday afternoon.[16 Aug. 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CRANN, Nannie Dutton

The community was exceedingly shocked last Sunday evening to learn of the unexpected death of Mrs. Chas. CRANN that afternoon at her home on Bruce creek, seven miles south of Eagle. While not in the best of health for the past year, Mrs. CRANN was, apparently, in better health than usual Sunday morning, when she was seized with a hemorrhage from the lungs, which proved fatal within a short time.

Nannie DUTTON was born at Boulder, Colo., November 17, 1879, and passed from this life May 15, 1927. November 17, 1909, she was united in marriage to Chas. CRANN at Rifle, Colo. She leaves to mourn her death her husband; three children, Helen, aged 16, Richard, 12, and Alfred, 6; two sisters and a brother.

The funeral services were held from the Eagle Community Methodist church Monday afternoon the Rev. A. R. DENNIS, pastor of the church officiating.

Interment was made in the Eagle cemetery.[20 May 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Long-time El Jebel resident, Floyd B. CRAWFORD, died March 15. He was 76.

Floyd was born in Calexico, Calif. on Feb 7, 1920 and grew up in San Diego. He graduated with a degree in agronomy from the University of California at Davis and married June A. MILLER on June 28, 1941.

He was an active participant in community affairs and served on the Board of Education while living in Florida; he was also on the Board of Directors of the First Nation Bank of Glenwood Springs. He was a founder and director of the Basalt Water Conservancy District and served as its president for many years. Floyd exhibited his sense of civic duty as he contributed to the needs of the community throughout his years in El Jebel.

He was also an avid outdoorsman and traveled extensively, including an annual fall trip to Alaska with family and friends. He supported many conservation efforts and established a wildlife sanctuary on the CRAWFORD property in El Jebel.

Floyd was preceded in death by his wife June and children James, Melanie, Rhonda, Floyd and Schantzey. He is survived by children Adele E. HUBBELL, Bonnie M. WILLIAMS, Janet L. HOOPLE, Noel J. CRAWFORD, Tammy J. TUCKER and Tommy F. CRAWFORD and 14 grandchildren.(Eagle Valley Enterprise, 21 March 1996)

Return to Top



Later - A telephone message received in Red Cliff yesterday afternoon states that the body was recovered yesterday morning. Wires had been stretched from abutment to abutment at the Dotsero bridge and these caught the body.

The following particulars concerning the accidental drowning of Hayes CRAWFORD last week is furnished by our Gypsum correspondent:

Hayes CRAWFORD was drowned in the Grand river last Friday afternoon about 3 o'clock while driving some cattle across the river, about a mile and a half above the mouth of Deep creek.

CRAWFORD and his helper saw some cattle across the river that they wished to move onto a different range. He was riding a horse that was used to the water, and a good swimmer. He told his helper to remain where he was and he would drive the cattle over himself. He crossed on a fairly good ford without trouble, and started the cattle back, he following them. They crossed farther down the river where the channel is deeper and swifter. It seems that as the horse got into deep water Hayes got as far up on the saddle as possible, and for some reason the horse jumped, throwing his head up, probable striking Hayes on the forehead. His hat, which was found, shows blood stains at a position that would indicate this. He fell off the horse but apparently made no effort to rescue himself. His helper ran to the river and threw a rope to him, but he did not reach for it. Farther down the stream he called for help, but the young man could then render him none. He soon drifted out of sight and the young man started for help at Deep creek.

Searching parties have dragged and shot the river for two miles below where the unfortunate accident happened, but at this writing have not recovered the body.

Hayes CRAWFORD was the son of Mr. and Mrs. T. J. CRAWFORD, who resided here for fourteen years, recently removing to New Castle. Hayes was 27 years old and had spent most of his life in Gypsum valley. He was running the Doll herd of cattle at the time of his death. He was a member of both the Odd Fellows and Woodmen. The odd Fellows have the searching party in charge and will continue the search until the body is found. Deceased was a beneficiary member of the Woodmen.(30 July 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


James Craford Dead
James Crawford, a well known citizen of the county, died at the county poor farm on Wednesday morning, April 1st, 1908.

In the early days of Gilman, Mr. Crawford was a blacksmith at that place and later, when the town of Minturn was founded, engaged in work at his trade a that place, where he was a citizen at the time of his death. Although he had been in failing health for a number of years he had been an inmate at the county farm but a short time.

Mr. Crawford was something more than 70 years of age and was a pioneer of the county. During the years of his activity he was an industrious worker at his trade which he followed until incapacitated by age. Little is known of his history before coming to this county and his relatives, if there are any are unknown.
Eagle County Blade, April 2, 1908, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

CRAWFORD, June Adele Miller

June Adele MILLER CRAWFORD died Aug. 31. She was 75.

Mrs. CRAWFORD was born June 4, 1919 in San Diego, Calif. as the only child of Admiral and Mrs. John F.P. MILLER. She married Floyd B. CRAWFORD on June 28, 1940, and in 1960 the couple moved from Lake City, Fla. to a cattle ranch in the Roaring Fork Valley, now the site of the community of EL Jebel.

She enjoyed life to the fullest and her first priority was always her family. She was preceded in death by her children Shantzey, Melanie, Rhonda, James and Floyd.

Survivors include her husband, Floyd; children Adele HUBBELL, Bonnie M. WILLIAMS, Janet HOOPLE, Noel CRAWFORD, Tammy TUCKER, Tom CRAWFORD, and 15 grandchildren.

The family will hold a private service, as June requested. In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions to the June Crawford Memorial Fund at any Alpine Bank of the benefit of the American Cancer Society and the cyctic Fibrosis Foundation.

Arrangements were by Farnum- Holt Funeral Home. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 8 Sept. 1994)

Return to Top


T. J. CRAWFORD , of New Castle died on September 17, 1917, after suffering for many months from cancer.

Mr. CRAWFORD was well known in Eagle county. He came to Gypsum in 1886, engaged in farming and stock raising. He was a veteran of the Civil war and a staunch G. O. P. man and was well liked and respected by all of his neighbors. About 1896, he moved to the neighborhood of New Castle, where he resided until his death.

Mr. CRAWFORD is mourned by all who knew him.[28 Sept. 1917, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

CREEDON, Etta Curtin

Mrs. Etta Curtin CREEDON, wife of Mr. Mike CREEDON, died on Wednesday evening, February 20, at her home in Minturn, of hemorrhage and heart failure. Two infant sons, aged 4 and 2 1/2 years respectively, with their bereaved father survive her.

Mrs. Creedon was born at [Tullsy], New York, near Syracuse, in 1868, where her parents reside. She was married in Aspen in May, 1896. The family has resided at Minturn for several years, where the deceased lady was held in high esteem as an exemplary Christian woman.

In accordance with a last request, the burial occurred at Buena Vista, and the funeral was held there on Saturday. Many marks of esteem were shown the deceased and the bereaved husband by friends at Minturn. There was a profusion of flowers, and quite a number of people from Glenwood, Leadville, and other Rio Grande points attended the obsequies. the remains were followed to Buena vista by about twenty friends from this place.

On the morning of Mrs. CREEDON's death, Mr. CREEDON went to Woody to visit a sister who was ill, leaving his wife in her usual heath, and in the evening while at Glenwood Springs on his way home he received a telegram informing him of her death. Mr. CREEDON is an old and popular employee of the Denver & Rio Grande road, and has the sincere sympathy of many friends in his bereavement.(28 Feb 1901, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top


Mrs. I. J. CREIGHTON, for many years one of the leading business women of Eagle county, died last Friday night, July 13, of a stroke of paralysis in a hospital in Glenwood Springs, where she had been taken for medical care a few days before.

Mrs. CREIGHTON was one of the early pioneers of Leadville, to which place she moved from her home in the state of Maine when yet a very young woman. Later she moved to Red Cliff, where she conducted the Eagle hotel until the building was destroyed by a fire about twelve years ago. Since then she has been in the mercantile business, conducting general stores in Red Cliff and Gilman.

Mrs. CREIGHTON was a keen and successful business woman, a most devoted mother and was a leader I all social and business affairs of her home community. She leaves to mourn her death, two children, Mrs. Charles MAYER of Eagle, and Bert HALL of Red Cliff, besides many devoted friends.

Funeral services were held at Red Cliff Monday afternoon, attended by a large concourse of sorrowing friends.[20 July 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Ben L. CRESS, one of the earliest settlers and Eagle county's first mining and civil engineer, died at the Gilman hospital at 2:00 o'clock p.m., Wednesday, October 20, 1937. While in failing health for several years, Mr. CRESS had been in the hospital but two days when he died. Mr. CRESS would have been 87 years of age soon.

Mortician Oscar W. MEYER wired a brother of the deceased in California of the death and funeral arrangements are being delayed pending word from the brother.

Return to Top

CROSS, Charles

Charles CROSS, the well known merchant of Minturn, died yesterday morning, December 26, at his home in that place of Bright's disease. Mr. CROSS came to Minturn several months ago from Kansas, and engaged in the mercantile business. He was then in poor health and it was hoped the change of climate would prove beneficial. The stricken man grew gradually worse, however, until death came to his relief. Mr. CROSS was 44 years of age and leaves a wife, daughter and son. The funeral will occur today at Minturn, with interment at Greenwood cemetery, Red Cliff.(27 December 1900, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top


Mrs. Mary A. CROWELL, wife of John CROWELL, of Leadville, and mother of Mrs. Charles BALDAUF, of Gilman, died at the residence of her daughter at Gilman on Monday, June 5, after a brief illness.

Mrs. CROWELL was visiting the family of her daughter when she was taken ill with bronchia-pneumonia, from which she had recently recovered from a serious attack in Leadville. She was aged 58 years. Her husband arrived from Leadville before her death. The remains were conveyed yesterday to Danville, Pennsylvania, stopping in route at Leadville where funeral services were held.(8 June 1899, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top


A Man Killed at Minturn.
Raeffle CUPPELLI, an Italian, who has been in the employ of the D. & R. G. for several years, and who for the past few years has been coal chute Forman for the road at Minturn, met with a serious, and what later proved to be a fatal accident, while at his work on last Friday.

While crossing the track as Engine No. 1163 was backing into the round house he in some way fell and the engine passed over him, crushing his left leg below the knee. Owing to the absence of the company physician, Dr. C. B. WARREN, he was put on train No. 15, and sent to Glenwood Springs for treatment. Dr. GREEN, of Eagle , was called and met the train at that point, rendering the unfortunate man every assistance possible until he reached Glenwood Springs.

The attending physicians soon found that amputation was necessary. The severe chock and the fact that Mr. CUPPELLI was in his declining years was more than he could stand and he died at 3:30 Friday afternoon.

His remains were taken to Salida on No. 4 Saturday for burial. Mr. CUPPELLI had two sisters living in Salida and a wife and several children in Italy. Our deepest sympathy goes with the message across the water that will break the sad news to the loved ones that have looked with longing eyes for many years for the return of the husband and father who had sacrificed the pleasures of home and family in early like that he might enjoy the abundant life when he had secured the sufficient means over here.[8 Sept. 1910, Eagle County Blade, p1]

Return to Top

CURRY, Charlie

Charlie CURRY was taken to Salida to the hospital from Edwards died last Monday morning. He was taken sick about two weeks ago at his ranch about two miles below Gore Creek with a case of appendicitis and by the time he reached the hospital the case had reached a condition where an operation was of no avail. Mr. CURRY was a brother of Mrs. HOLSTADT and has resided in the eagle valley for the past sixteen years and was very highly respected by all who knew him. The remains were brought back Monday and the funeral took place at Edwards Tuesday.

Mr. CURRY was member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles and has a host of friends in this county who regret his early demise.[16 June 1910, Eagle County Blade p1]

Return to Top

CURRY, Elizabeth

On September 21st, 1908, at her home two miles east of Avon, Elizabeth, beloved wife of Charles CURRY, aged 46 years, 2 months and 24 days, passed to the great beyond. Mrs. CURRY had been in poor health for some time and her death was not unexpected. It resulted from a complication of diseases. She was taken to the Salida hospital in March and underwent an operation in an effort to regain her health. Upon her return in May her condition was somewhat improved and it was thought she would recover.

The relief proved to be of short duration. Her condition gradually became worse and she lingered until noon of the 21st instant when death ended her suffering. Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. JARRARD of Minturn at the home on the 22nd instant and the remains were followed to their last resting place in the cemetery on the CUNNINGHAM ranch by a large concourse of friends. Mrs. CURRY was a kind and loving wife and mother; a good neighbor and ever ready to administer to the wants and needs of the sick and afflicted and will be sadly missed by all. The family has the sympathy of all in their hour of trouble.(8 October 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


The Minturn community was saddened on learning of the death of Harry CUSTER which occurred at the Rio Grande hospital Saturday afternoon at 1 o'clock, November 25. He was taken ill the Sunday before, suffering from a blood clot in the main artery on the left side and Wednesday the left leg was amputated near the body, but the operation failed to relieve the trouble and he passed away Saturday afternoon. His sister, Miss Stella CUSTER, with whom he made his home, was with him in Salida during his illness.

Harry CUSTER was born in Ohio in 1876, one of a family of six children. At the age of 17 he went to Illinois where he was in the musical profession as a piano tuner and leader of a thirty piece band. It was several years later that he received an injury which resulted in his coming to Colorado for his health. His band was marching and playing in honor of Teddy ROOSEVELT, who was then making his presidential campaign, with Mr. CUSTER leading and playing lead cornet, when his horse became frightened and reared against the instrument, causing a lung injury. He came to Colorado soon after, which was about thirty-two years ago, and after entirely recovering from the injury, he had become so attached to the mountains that he decided to make Colorado his home, and returned to Ohio only on occasional visits.

For many years he made his home with Mr. and Mrs. Frank STEACY in Minturn and assisted Mr. STEACY in the mercantile business. It was his request to be buried beside Mr. STEACY in Riverside cemetery.

Mr. CUSTER was a great lover of the out-of-doors and his main recreation was hunting, fishing and camping. He build a cabin on the Piney where he spent much of his time. He was also interested in mining and trapping, being associated with Jim SMITH, a friend of many years. Several years ago his sister, Stella, came from Ohio and since that time the two have conducted the popular clothing and novelty store of Custer & Custer.

Harry CUSTER was a most kindly neighbor and friend and his sentiments were expressed in the words of Walter FOSS, "Let me live in a house by the side of the road, and be a friend to man."

Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, November 28, at the Presbyterian church with Rev. Lee SMITH in charge. A quartet composed of Mesdames BAYER and COX and Messrs. BURBANK and CLARK; sang "Abide With Me," "Jesus Pilot Me," and "Nearer My God to Thee" with Mrs. Martha TIPTON at the piano. Mrs. TIPTON was for many years his valued musical associate in orchestra work, and she gave a piano solo of one of the numbers which they had often played together.

Burial was in Riverside cemetery. A brother, T. J. CUSTER, arrived Monday evening from Chicago to attend the funeral services.

The community extends sympathy to Miss CUSTER and other relatives and close friends.[1 December 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise}

Return to Top

CUTTING, William

Sweetwater and Gypsum communities were extremely sad at the news received Thursday, November 20, of the death in Fitzsimmons hospital, Denver of one of their most beloved citizens, William CUTTING. Mr. CUTTING was a veteran of the world war, a member of Eagle River Valley Post No. 150, American Legion, and had lived with his parents on the Sweetwater ranch for the past five or six years. Since discharge from the army, the deceased has suffered terribly with an infection of the heart, and much of his time has been spent in Fitzsimmons hospital. During rare intervals he had been able to spend a few months at home with his parents and during these periods he made many very warm friends. He was brave and patient, never showing the constant suffering he endured, but always put up a "strong front," was smiling and genial in his personal contacts, regardless.

When the shocking news of the end came to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. L. CUTTING, preparations were at once made for funeral services to be held at Florence, Colo., and burial in the family plot in the New Hope cemetery at Wetmore. Will's old home and birthplace, and the services were held Sunday, Nov. 23. At Florence a beautiful service was held at the St. Albans Episcopal church in charge of Rev. L. A. CRITTENTON, pastor of the church. During the service Mrs. James FAIRCY sang two beautiful vocal solos, "Near to the Heart of God," and "One Sweetly Solemn Thought," while Mr. R. M. BOOTH and Mrs. Cecil YIESLEY sang "Saved by Grace." Accompaniments and the processional, "To Calvary," were beautiful played on the church organ by Mrs. Victor MCCANDLESS. It was a most beautiful and touching service, and a great tribute to the place the deceased young man held in the hearts of all who knew him.

A military funeral was accorded the veteran. The casket was decorated with the American flag, which had meant so much to the deceased during his life and great banks of beautiful flowers crowned the altar, especially attractive and beautiful being the floral gift of his ward mates of Fitzsimmons.

Color bearers were Chas. BERARDI, and Thos. GOW; color guards Elmer JOHNSON and Leslie LLOYD, while the casket bearers were Allen MCLONEY, Lee CARPENTER, Paul ROSS, Dr. PATTERSON, Harold KEMBLE and James SWEETEN. The firing squad was from members of the deceased's post of the Legion, being Chas. HEMBERGER, Herman STEIN, Lloyd BELL, James PHILLIPS, Oscar ANDERSON, Leslie MAXON, Arthur STREMME, Burr S. FULLER. As the body was lowered into the grave, taps were sounded by Robert PHILLIPS, answered by "The Echo" played by Geo. TERRIN.

Others who attended the funeral from here not mentioned above were Fred KEMBLE, Will SCHUMM, and Mrs. Margaret BELL, the latter from the local Auxiliary of the Legion Post.

The deceased was born in Wetmore, Colo., August 19, 1892, and is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. L. CUTTING, residing on the Sweetwater ranch northeast of Gypsum, and one brother, Major Geo. W. CUTTING of Denver, all of whom were present at the funeral services.

Heartfelt sympathy go out to the bereaved ones in this loss of their most beloved one from the entire community.[28 Nov. 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

Return to Eagle County Main page

Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb