HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:10 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

DaLEE, 'baby'


To Mr. and Mrs. G. J. DaLEE, of Red Cliff, on last Saturday, January 31st, a son.
The baby was apparently healthy and was doing well up to this morning when it suddenly died.
Eagle County Blade, Feb. 5, 1905, p.3 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Orin W. Daggett, oldest pioneer in Red Cliff, passed away April 16, 1942, at the age of 81. He was born at Monitor, Ind., January 4, 1861, and was educated in the Lafayette public school. Mr. Daggett came to Colorado in 1882, and was one of the first to homestead land in the Eagle river valley. He owned and operated the Red Rock ranch and the Daggett store in Gypsum until 1897, when he went to Fulford, as postmaster and store operator. On November 4, 1903, he was united in marriage to Miss Harriet D. PATTERSON of Pittsburgh, Pa., in Gypsum. Three years later he and his family moved to Red Cliff. For a time he operated the Red Rock Store, and later was employed in the Eagle river canon. In 1921 started publication of the Holy Cross Trail, and continued the publication of that paper until 1940.

Mr. Daggett was an outstanding western slope leader in promotion of highways over Loveland and Shrine routes. It was he, with his untiring effort, who took up the first subscription list that made the all year maintenance of Tennessee Pass possible. He was an authority on water diversion, conservation and wild life; a former owner of mining property on Battle Mountain; author of a work on Pioneer Men of Western Colorado; also treatises on universe and ore despots, and was a leader in the establishment of Eagle County High School at Gypsum. He was a member of the Sons of American Revolution, Colorado Mountain Club, and the Massachusetts Bay Colony of Boston.

Surviving are four daughter - Mrs. Elizabeth CORREY of Mansfield, Conn., Mrs. Eleanor NESBITT of Questa, N.M., Mrs. Emma Lou PALMER of Denver, Miss Harriett DAGGETT of Red Cliff.

Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Sunday from the Red Cliff Community Church with interment at the Cedar Hill cemetery in Gypsum. Friends of the community and county extend sympathy to the bereaved family.
[unknown newspaper, unknown date]

Return to Top


The community will regret to learn of the death of Mrs. O. W. Daggett which occurred at Gillett, Colorado, on Saturday, February 24. Few of the friends in the county knew of the lady's illness until informed of her death. It is not stated what caused her demise, but it is presumed to have been pneumonia. Quite recently Mr. Daggett was very dangerously ill with pneumonia, his life for a time being dispaired of. It is presumed that Mrs. Daggett, by faithfully nursing her husband through the illness, contracted the disease.

A few weeks ago Mr. and Mrs. Daggett left Fulford and were in Red Cliff a few days, finally locating in Gillett. Mrs. Daggett resided a number of years in Eagle county and had a wide circle of acquaintances who held her in great esteem. She was especially well known for her intellectual qualities, and was a candidate a few years ago for superintendent of schools of this county. Her untimely demise is sincerely regretted. The funeral and interment occurred at Gypsum on Tuesday afternoon and was very largely attended.
Eagle County Blade, March 1, 1900, p.3 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

DALEY, Frank M.

Frank M. Daley, a former worker at Gilman as well as lift operator at Vail, died May 9, 1992, at Carbondale Heritage Park Car Center. He was 82.

Born on July 16, 1909, in Payson, Utah, to Frank and Myrtle DALEY. They moved to a farm and ranch, and he grew up in that area. He graduated from eighth grade.

When he was 20, he moved to the Eagle Valley. He was involved with a great variety of enterprises in his life. Early on, he worked in ranching in either the Gypsum or Brush Creek valleys, or perhaps both. Memories have faded.

During World War II, and on into the 1950's, he worked underground in the Eagle Mine, located at Gilman. Because the production of ore from the Eagle mine was considered essential, he was exempted from serving in the war. However, it is thought that his work at the mine resulted in him developing emphysema. He worked there about a decade.

After leaving Gilman, he worked at the lime quarry in Glenwood Springs for a few years.

Beginning in the 1950's and continuing into the 1960's he worked on the Piney River drainage for Phillips Lumber in logging operations. He also worked for a time at Dotsero, operating a crane to load pulpwood extracted from Coffeepot Divide and other areas on the Flat Tops onto railroad cars.

Sometimes in the early to mid- 1960's he went to work for Vail Associates, operating the Poma lift near the ski school. He worked there nine or 10 years, retiring in the early 1970's.

In his spare time he trapped animals. He had a trap line up Gypsum Creek and around Elephant Rock. He sometimes trapped up the Colorado River from Dotsero up to the Sweetwater region.

He also tended very large gardens, giving away the extra fruit and vegetables to those who needed the produce. In addition, he was very active in the Church of Latter Day Saints.

He lived in Eagle with his first wife, Edith Campbell DALEY. He later married Louise Alene DUELL on Jun 7, 1950, in Dotsero. Living in Gypsum, she survives him.

Other survivors are two sons; George (and spouse Linda) DALEY of Durango; Frank O'Dell (and spouse Audrey) DALEY of Craig; two daughters; Janice (and spouse Ed)TUNE of Durango, and Mary (and spouse Loren) WATSON of Florida; stepchildren; Mark L. JONES of Ava, MO, and Margo L. JONES of Tyler, Texas; as well as four sisters; two brothers; numerous nieces and nephews, and 10 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at the Church of Latter Day Saints chapel in Gypsum, with Dan LISTER officiating. Burial was at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum.
[unknown newspaper, unknown date]

Return to Top

DANCY, Frances Elvira

Editor's Baby Dead.
Frances Elvira DANCY; infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. DANCY died at 10:15 Sunday morning; aged four days. Interment was made in Eagle cemetery Monday morning.
[10 March 1916, Eagle Valley Enterprise p.1]

Return to Top

DANIELS, Clayton

Clayton Daniels Instantly Killed by a Freight Train.

A particularly sad and distressing accident occurred about 10 o'clock last Sunday morning at Red Creek in the Eagle River canyon. Clayton Daniels, a miner residing at Gilman, lost his life by being instantly killed by a Denver & Rio Grande freight train which he attempted to board while the train was moving.

The deceased and C. E. Coleman started out on a fishing trip. As an east bound freight train came along Daniels changed his mind and decided to come to Red Cliff. Mr. Coleman declined to attempt to board the train and cautioned his companion. With a smile for a reply Daniels caught at the side of the passing train, missed in some way and fell underneath, his body being horribly mutilated. Although a witness to the accident Mr. Coleman can not say just how it happened. He saw Daniels start to carry out his intentions and next saw him beneath the wheels. Mr. Coleman was almost overcome and had barely strength enough to summon aid.

Coroner Gilpin was called and with the assistance of the dead man's friends removed the remains to Red Cliff.

The trainmen knew nothing of the accident and did not see Mr. Coleman's efforts to flag them.

Mr. Daniels leaves a widow and baby daughter. Also other relatives, including his mother, Mrs. George Brown, of McCoy. He was a member of Battle Mountain Lodge No. 63, of Gilman, and was but 22 years of age.

The funeral occurred at Red Cliff on Tuesday under the auspices of the lodge of which deceased was a member. Rev. L. D. Jarrard, of Minturn conducted the religious services and the interment was a t Greenwood cemetery.
Eagle County Blade, July 5, 1906, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

DAVIS, (unknown)

One Man Loses Life in Colorado River When Bridge Collapses at State Bridge. Six Men Thrown into Raging River When it Breaks Under Strain of Crossing Truck--Young Mexican Laborer Displays Heroism in Saving Life of Road Worker.

One man lost his life and another was painfully injured last Thursday afternoon when a 100 foot span of the old wooden bridge collapsed while a truck was being driven across the structure. The four occupants of the truck and two highway employees, who were working on the bridge, went down with it and into the raging waters of the river, which is now at flood stage with the waters from the melting snows of the mountains.

The truck belonged to and was driven by Amos MOBERLY of Hayden, Colo. Moberly was returning home from Ealida where he had been to deliver a lost of furniture which he was hauling for a family moving to that place. The truck was on the south span, which was under repair, when it gave away, falling into the water and floating upright lake a big raft down the river with the truck and its occupants riding it down the stream. Road overseer Howard P. VAN HORN and his assistant, Ernest BOYD, were on top of the truss tightening it up at the time. Mr. VAN HORN was thrown to the floor of the bridge and rode the big bridge into the river together with the occupants of the truck. It was probably when he hit the floor of the bridge, that he received his injuries. Mr. BOYD was thrown into the water.

BOYD owes his life to the heroic action of a Moffat railroad track worker--a young Mexican, named J. M. MONTOYA, who gives his home address at Walsenburg, Colo. BOYD had seized upon a rotten log which was floating down the raging stream, and which helped him keep his head above water. After fighting for his life in the icy cold raging torrent of the river for more than a mile, he was sucked into a whirlpool of the river. MONTOYA who, with other laborers, was working on the railroad track a short distance above Orestod, saw BOYD'S plight and plunged into the water to save him. MONTOYA and BOYD were in the water for a quarter mile, fighting the swift and whirling current, disappearing beneath the flood time and again, but finally the young man here reached land with BOYD. It was an act of unselfish heroism that should receive recognition. MONTOYA displayed unusual nerve and coolness throughout the whole affair, offering his own life, if need be, to save that of another.

On the truck with Mr. MOBERLY were three men to whom he was giving a life. Two were brothers named Austin and Vernon DAVIS, bound for State Bridge, where they hoped to find employment. They were riding in the rear, while on the seat with the driver was P. D. WILLIAMS, a traveling sign painter on his way to Steamboat Springs. The weight of the truck caused the floor of the bridge to break in the middle, but it hung together until it had floated down the river for over a mile.

The DAVIS brothers said that they were from near Grand Junction where another brother lives. Their mother resides in Canada, the father being dead.

The five men on the floating structure were in fear that it would go to pieces, and at a moment when one end of it swung against the north shore, MOBERLY jumped to land, to make their escape in this manner, but as the raft drifted out into the stream again the two DAVIS brothers jumped, when 20 feet from the shore. The river was running like a mill race and one of them was unable to keep his head above water. The men on the castaway bridge saw him go down, not to come again to the surface. The other DAVIS was more successful in keeping afloat, and was able to make the land.

VAN HORN and WILLIAMS were then the only ones lift on the floating wreckage of the bridge. Soon their craft broke in two, the truck remaining on one portion, while they were on the other. About opposite Orestod, two miles west of State Bridge, their section drifted into an eddy and touched the shore at the base of a steep cliff of rock on the south side of the river.

Mr. VAN HORN was so badly injured that he was able to help himself but little, but WILLIAMS, who is 74 years of age, succeeded in placing him up on a narrow ledge. Then, with difficulty, he began an attempt to move the patient to a place where he might repose in more comfort. It was necessary to dig steps in the cliff. The wreck of the bridge took place at 3:30 p. m., and it was not until 6:40 that they reached a little sage brush flat. In the meantime WILLIAMS had attracted the attention of men on the other side of the river who were searching for the victims of the accident; and they got word to the Earl BROOKS ranch on the south side of the river, and Mr. BROOKS, with a saddle animal and a companion went to the rescue of the party.

It was not until 11:30 p. m. that Mr. VAN HORN was gotten to the ranch on the back of the animal. From there a private bridge spans the river and the injured man was carried to his home near McCoy.

At this time Mr. VAN HORN is reported to be recovering from his injuries and exposure, but for a time it was thought his injury was very serious.

The bridge was one of the oldest in the county, having been built by the state some thirty-five years ago, at a time when all the supplies for the Bear river country were transported by wagon train from the railroad at Wolcott across country by way of State Bridge. The highway which it serves is an important artery of the State highway system, connecting the Victory highway along the Bear river with the Ocean-to-Ocean highway along the Eagle river. Since it has gone out travel to and from the northeast part of the Eagle county and Grand and Routt counties has been by detour through McCoy and Burns to Gypsum.

The telephone line to the State Bridge hotel, which is on the north side of the river, went out with the bridge, and it was 5 o'clock in the evening before Ralph MCGLOCHLIN succeeded in getting a telegram relayed through Denver to Eagle reporting the trouble to County Attorney WHITE and the county commissioners. The county and state highway commission commenced at once preparations to put in a temporary bridge so that traffic could be resumed.

Within forty-eight hours after the bridge had collapsed the highway commission had made arrangements with Contractor Chas. SWITZER, who happened to be on the ground, to get to work on the bridge, and Sunday morning part of the material was on the ground and work started on the job. The river is from 12 to 16 feet deep under the bridge, and a swift current running there, so that the work will be very hazardous. The north span of the bridge, which was left standing, will be reinforced and a new temporary span thrown across from the south side of the river. Road officials estimate that if no unforeseen trouble occurs travel will be resumed across the bridge within two weeks.
[17 June 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

DAVIS, Carol Jean Miller

Former Eagle resident Carol Jean (MILLER) DAVIS died July 31. She was 51.

Carol was born Jan. 24, 1944 in Orlando, Fla., and spent her early years in Wray, Colo. She moved to Eagle with her parents when she was 10 years old and spent her childhood on the family ranch in Edwards. She graduated from Eagle Valley High School in 1962 and married George Sharp in 1963. The couple spent a few years in Nebraska.

Following a divorce, Carol then moved to the North Platte area where she was employed as a saddlemaker. She later married Don DAVIS and moved to Toponas in 1980. She met bud WILLIAMS in 1989 and spent her remaining years with him.

Survivors include sons Roger and Brad SHARP, both of Denver, and Ken SHARP of Sterling; her parents Ray and Ruth MILLER of Silt; brothers Gary of Eagle, Steve of Edwards, and Marty of Silt; sisters Shelley LOHRMAN of Edwards, Marilyn POPE of Wray and Laura MILLER of Silt; and two grandchildren and nine nieces and nephews.

Arrangements were by Shearon Funeral Home of Steamboat Springs.
[Eagle Valley Enterprise 17 Aug 1995]

Return to Top

DAY, Emma Sophia

Mrs. Emma Sophia DAY was born in Rudd, Iowa, September 6, 1855. She came to Colorado at the age of 25, locating in Leadville, later moving to Gypsum and then to Glenwood Springs. There she met and married Martin L. DAY in 1892. After making their home in Meeker, later in Salida, Minturn, and Buena Vista, the couple finally selected Wolcott in 1912. There Mrs. DAY made her home until her death on November 7, 1931

The body was laid to rest in the Edwards community cemetery Sunday afternoon.

Rev. C. R. STOCKINGER of Eagle delivered the funeral sermon, and vocal music was furnished by Mesdames Harry DICKERSON and E. P. COLLBURN of Eagle.
[13 Nov. 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

Return to Top

DAY, Nellie

Nellie DAY, a longtime resident of the Gypsum area, died Oct 6 at the Palisade Care Center. She was 87.

She was born Jun 28, 1908, at Lake Creek in Eagle County to Thomas and Ella PALLISTER. On April 22, 1926, she married James T. DAY in Glenwood Springs. Her Husband preceded her in death.

She is survived by two children, Eva PIERCE of Denver, and James DAY of Grand Junction, and one brother, Glen PALLISTER of Springfield, M(O. She is also survived by seven grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.

Burial has taken place at Cedar Hill cemetery in Gypsum.

Memorial contributions can be made to the Eagle Senior Center, 915 Broadway, Eagle, Co 81631.
[unknown newspaper, unknown date]

Return to Top


Death of Mrs. Deering
Mrs. Alma Deering, wife of Tallman Deering, of Avon, died on September 8th at her home of blood poisoning. Mrs. Deering was 31 years of age and was born in the town of Alma, this state, after which she was named. The funeral occurred on Tuesday at the late home, Rev. L. D. Jarrad conducting the services, with interment at the Edwards cemetery.
Eagle County Blade, Sept. 13, 1906, p.8 - Contributed by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Joseph Deering died at the home of Wm. Aughern Monday afternoon, Sept. 10th, after an illness of several months.

Mr. Deering was twenty eight years old, and a native of Switzerland. He had been in this country for about three years. He was a sober industrious young man, and his brother Antone has the sympathy of the whole community.
Eagle County Blade, Oct. 6, 1910, p.4 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

DEGRAW, Ruby Elizabeth

Ruby Elizabeth DEGRAW died Aug. 31 in Colorado Springs, She was 88.

Mrs. DEGRAW, a life-long resident of Eagle until she moved to Colorado Springs six years ago, was born Feb. 24, 1907 in Eagle to Otis and Minnie Mae (WEDMORE) PING. She married C.J. DEGRAW on April 9, 1941 in Leadville. Mr. DEGRAW preceded her in death.

She worked for several years on a ranch in Eagle, and she enjoyed cooking and was a wonderful homemaker and mother to her four children.

She was also preceded in death by two brothers, Floyd PING in 1985 and Lenard PING in 1988, and grandsons Corey CONDOR in 1986 and Scott COVALT in 1988.

Survivors include her children Claude (and Vieva) DEGRAW of Gypsum, Betty (and Ray) DORNICK of Colorado Springs, Beverly (and Harold) FESSLER of Eagle, and Carol (and Jerry) CONDOR of Eagle; her sister, Garnet PING of Ealge; cousin Barb PEARCH; 14 grandchildren, 26 great grandchildren, and four great-great grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Sept. 6 at the Eagle United Methodist Church. Burial followed at Sunset View Cemetery in Eagle, with the Rev. David BUTLER officiating. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, c/o Beth Overaker, 0043 County Rd. 110, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
[Eagle Valley Enterprise 7 Sept 1995]

Return to Top

DEGROOT, Pearl (nee May)

DEGROOT, Mrs. Dan W. - News reached Glenwood last Sunday morning of the sudden death of Mrs. Dan W. DEGROOT at Albuquerque, N. M. The lady had undergone an operation for goiter a few weeks ago, but had recovered so that her condition was not considered dangerous.

Mrs. DEGROOT was formerly Miss Pearl MAY, only daughter of the late john MAY of Basalt and Cardiff. She is survived by her husband, Dan DEGROOT of Basalt, two daughters, Helen and Edna, who were with their mother at the end, one brother, Floyde E. MAY of Basalt, and her step-mother, Mrs. Vestella MAY of this city. -Glenwood Post.
[24 Dec. 1926, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top



A. E. Dewey Loses His Life In the Black Iron Mine.
There was a fatal accident at the Black Iron mine last Saturday afternoon in which A. E. Dewey was the victim. Dewey was caught by a cave of ore and was so badly injured that he lived but a short time after being hurt.

The unfortunate miner was breaking ore in a stope of the mine when there was a cave from the roof that caught him. He was putting in a "lifter" hole in the floor of the stope, being in a kneeling position, when the cave occurred, catching him across the back. Fellow workmen were near at hand and they went immediately to his rescue. He was taken from underneath the ore and to the surface while yet conscious, but expired soon afterward.

The ore in the Black Iron is broked by contract for the Colorado Fuel and Iron company, which is operating the mine under lease. From all accounts Dewey knew the roof of the stope in which he was working was in a dangerous condition. One report is that some time before the accident he had remarked to fellow workmen that when he got that round of holes in he would send on top for a stull with which to support it. Another is that he remarked when he finished drilling the preceding hole that as he had got that hole in without being killed he would try another.

The deceased was a very quiet man, about 30 years of age, who attended so well to his own business and affairs that even men who have worked with him for months know very little concerning him.

Mr. Dewey was a charter member of the recently instituted lodge of the Fraternal Order of Eagles of Minturn, President C. A. Rossiter, of the lodge, learned that deceased was a widower with a young daughter who is living with a sister, Mrs. J. C. Gilmore, of Springfield, Massachusetts. A twin brother, Albert C. Dewey, was also located at Eaton, this state. Neither the sister or brother were able to be present at the funeral.

The lodge took charge of the funeral and it was held at the Red Cliff opera house on Tuesday afternoon. The impressive funeral service of the order was conducted by the proper officers, interspersed with appropriated [sic] music by the local choir. A large audience was present to pay respects to the departed miner, and the lodge to which he belonged exemplified its devotion to a worthy member by attending in a body, many members from Minturn and out of town being present. Brothers of the lodge and fellow miners as follows acted as pallbearers: Charles McLean, A. E. Mikizek, James Law, Harry Dickerson, John Buchanan, Morris Boyle, Fred Daniels and Frank Dumas. The services were concluded at the Greenwood cemetery, where the interment was made.
May 30, 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1 - contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

DIAL, Joyce Hart

Joyce HART DIAL, the daughter of a miner who settled in Eagle County during the turn-of-the-century mining boom, died Feb. 15 at St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver. She was 90 years old.

She was born to Benjamin A. and Jenny May HART on Oct. 20, 1902, in Manitou Springs, Colo. Her father, Benjamin and her grandfather, James T. HART, came to the Battle Mountain area to mine precious metals. The men extracted gold, silver, copper, and zinc from the mines located in the Poverty Flats area, below Bell's Camp. Her mother taught school in the mining town of Mitchell near Tennessee Pass.

Joyce HART DIAL spent her childhood in Red Cliff, but completed her secondary education at East High School in Denver.

She married David L. DIAL, who preceded her in death.

As an adult, DIAL left Eagle County to live in the East. She eventually returned to Denver and worked in health care at Presbyterian Hospital. She was also associated with St. Ann's Convent.

Her sister, former Eagle resident Helen HART ALLEN preceded her in death.

DIAL is survived by three nieces, Jean JOHNSON of Eagle, and Judith BURFORD and Joyce CUNNINGHAM of Grand Junction; and a nephew, J. Richard ALLEN of Denver.

Graveside services were scheduled to be held today at Fairmont Cemetery in Denver.
[Vail Trail 26 Feb 1993]

Return to Top

DICE, Harvey B.


With the death of Harvey B. DICE the last of the pioneer builders of Eagle passed away. Mr. DICE came to Eagle when the town was in its infancy, and played a most important part in the community's progressive history for 25 years following his arrival. The most substantial business buildings in town were built by he and his brother, Tom. The bank building, Lewis' bros. store, the post office, the Bindley building, the telephone office, were all built by Dice Brothers; as were many of the residences of the town. Harve had faith in the community he helped build and all during his active years was willing to back it with hard cash.

Born in Warsaw, MO, December 23, 1849, he was a cattle trader on the Kansas City stockyards when yet but a boy. He was a young man of 30 years when in 1879 he came to Colorado, and into the Sheephorn valley in Eagle county, where he embarked in the cattle business. About 1900 he moved to Eagle where he became one of the leading citizens from the start, and remained such until the years commenced to demand their toll and slowed down his activities. But he was tireless and never really quit, until within the past few months his health kept him to the house. He had been steadily declining for several weeks, when Thursday morning, February 17, the Death Angel appeared at his bedside and beckoned and Harvey silently nodded his head and quietly followed the Messenger into that other world, where all is mystery and darkness.

In accordance with wishes of the deceased, there were no church services for the funeral, and his body was taken to Glenwood Springs to be laid to rest beside that of his brother, Tom. Nearly fifty people from this community braved the inclement weather and went to Glenwood Sunday morning for the burial services, and to view for the last time the body lying in state at the Farnum funeral home. For many years Mr. DICE had been a loyal member of Castle Lodge, A.F. & A.M., No. 122, and his body was laid to rest by his brother Masons, with their solemn but beautiful burial service.

The deceased is survived by one brother, J. A. DICE of Eagle; two sisters, Mrs. John F. McCOY of Glenwood Springs, and Mrs. Dora HUNTER of Canon City; besides a number of nephews and nieces, among the former being Cyrus and Fred DICE of Eagle.
[unknown newspaper, unknown date]

Return to Top

DICE, Lula May

Mrs. T. J. DICE Dies Suddenly in Denver. Her End Came Very Suddenly After Short Siege of Bronchial Pneumonia. The news of the death of Mrs. T. J. DICE in Denver last Saturday afternoon was received in Eagle with surprise and great sorrow. It was generally known here that she was sick at her apartments in Denver, but that her condition was in the least serious was not known here, and, from what we learn, her illness did not take a critical turn until a few hours before death's claim was made.

Together with her husband, Mrs. DICE went to Denver about the first of the year to remain for the remainder of the winter. During the week of the stock show she was taken sick, but her condition was not alarming and had so improved that Mr. DICE was enabled to leave her bedside for a business trip to Eagle county the first of this month. The first intimation friends here had that her illness had become alarming was the message of her death at St. Luke's hospital in Denver, where she had been removed only a few hours previous. Bronchial pneumonia was the direct cause of her demise.

Lula May GOFFIN was born in Ohio, November 3, 1874, moving to Colorado with her parents when a very small child, and to Eagle county in 1888, settling on Lake creek. She grew to womanhood in that neighborhood, and in 1893, June 28, was married to T. J. DICE. Since their marriage she and her husband have made Eagle their home, where both had been prominent in the affairs of the growing community during a period of nearly thirty year. Besides her husband her death is mourned by her mother and stepfather, now living near Sacramento, Calif., one brother, -- GOFFIN, living at Minturn, and two sisters, Mrs. A. W. BURNISON of Denver, and one living in Ft. Lupton.

The funeral was held from the Olinger undertaking chapel in Denver, Monday afternoon, and the remains laid to rest in the Fairmount cemetery. The services were attended by twenty-five or thirty Eagle county people, some of whom now live in Denver, and the pall bearers were all former friends from Eagle, being Milby FRAISER, Grover LIKES, Fred MARTINEZ, Ben M. WHITE, Peter THOBORG, and Ed SLAUGHTER. James L. NORVELL, of Steamboat Springs, and an old friend of Mr. and Mrs. DICE, conducted the burial service at the graveside.

During almost a life time spent in Eagle county the deceased had made many lasting friendships and the news of her death will leave a shadow of sadness in every corner of the county, while the bereaved husband has the heartfelt sympathy of all in his sudden great loss. Mr. DICE himself, prostrated by grief is sick in Denver and was not permitted by his physician to follow the remains of his beloved wife to their last resting place in the cemetery.
[18 Feb. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

DICE, Thomas Jefferson

Tom J. DICE Was One Of Eagle County's Foremost Builders--Always Active in Forwarding Interests of Community.

It has been the sad, duty of this writer this past week to record the death of men, who not only were outstanding citizens of the county who had spent their lives in up building the community, but were also close personal friends of the editor---an unwelcome task and one we would gladly delegate to others.

In the death of Tom DICE passes one of the men who for nearly fifty years had been one of the most constructive citizens Eagle county has ever had, for Mr. DICE was a builder. Of far seeing business acumen, he was one of the first men to see the possibilities in the town of Eagle, and soon after he came to this valley he and his brother, Harve, commenced to build up a town here at the confluence of Eagle river and Brush creek, and over a period of Twenty years the brothers did more to make the town a permanent fixture in the county than any other two men. They not only invested their own money but encouraged and helped others to follow their own example. As mayor of the town and a business leader of the community, Mr. DICE did much to make the village a pleasant place in which to live.

The deceased was a lovable man, making friends of all classes and ages and children especially looked up to and loved him. Tom DICE loved children and young people and hundreds of children in Eagle and Garfield counties called him "Uncle Tom" and these children will miss their friend and be sad at his death.

Thomas Jefferson DICE, SON OF Abner Hugh dice and Mary Ann HASTAIN DICE, was born in Warsaw, Mo., April 18, 1862, and died at Glenwood Springs, Colo., July 7, 1929.

He first came to Colorado in 1881, spending a year on the eastern slope, and then in 1882, he joined his older brother, Harvey, who had located on the Blue river in Grand county. The following year the brothers located in Eagle county on Sheephorn creek where they engaged in the cattle business and prospered. Here Mr. DICE lived for nearly twenty years, and in 1901 he sold his holdings and came to the Eagle river valley, finally locating at Eagle in 1903. The town was just commencing to grow, and Tom DICE, in the full vigor of his prime, immediately became the leading sprit of improvement. The first permanent building of the town bears the legend on the building plate, "DICE Brothers, 1904," the building occupied by the Eagle Pharmacy and the Silver Eagle barber shop. Latter the present bank building and the Lewis & Kluge store building were built by DICE Brothers and are still owned by Harve DICE. Many other buildings were erected or financed by them as the needs of the town grew.

As mayor Eagle and commissioner of the county, his constructive work in building up the community will live forever in the history of the county for his life work came in that formative period of the community when his ability and progressive spirit counted greatly in forming the future of the county's growth,

While he intended to retire from active business affairs when he moved his home to Glenwood Springs in 1922, his restless spirit would not permit him to live in idleness and he was active in business affairs up to the time his health commenced to fail a few months ago.

In testimony of the wide scope of his acquaintance and sphere of influence the funeral held at Glenwood Springs Tuesday afternoon, July 9, was attended by people from four surrounding counties, and flowers and words of condolence were received by the family from all over the state. The funeral services were held from the home in Glenwood, and he was laid to rest with the impressive ceremonies of the Masonic lodge of which he was a life long member. Active pall bearers at the funeral were David McPHEE of Sheephorn, A. B. KOONCE, and T. E. LEWIS of Eagle, Churchill SHUMATE, Fred MEIER and Raymond REISLER of Glenwood.

He is survived by his widow, Katherine B. DICE; two brothers, Harve B. of Eagle and Joseph A. DICE of Warsaw, Mo.; three sisters, Mrs. John F. McCoy of Glenwood Springs, Mrs. John HARTLE of Lincoln, Mo., and Mrs. Smith HUNTER of Canon City, Colo.
[12 July 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

DICKERSON, Harry Stevens

"I've Finished the Fight," was the theme of Rev. C.E. COPLEY's discourse at the funeral of County Treasurer Harry S. DICKERSON, Thursday afternoon at the graveside when the body of the deceased official was laid to rest in Minturn. It was a very fitting subject, for if ever a man made a brave and courageous fight against the relentless Angel of Death, Harry DICKERSON did. Suffering for months with a malady against which there was little hope of victory, Harry fought a determined battle until the last moment, when, following an attack of great agony, he lay back and said, "This is the end," and was dead, at 10:30 o'clock Monday evening, October 24.

The death of Mr. DICKERSON, although it was expected by those close to him, was a distinct shock to the people of the county generally, and is deeply regretted.

Harry Stevens DICKERSON was past 59 years of age, having been born in Ness county, Kansas, April 5, 1879. He came to Colorado and Red Cliff in the year 1900 and for thirty eight years, without intermission, had been a resident of Eagle county. He was employed in the mines on Battle mountain and by the Fleming Lumber Company at Red Cliff for many years after going to Red Cliff.

In 1908, he was united in marriage to Miss Ida KOLNIG of Minturn. To this marriage no children were born.

He entered the Forest Service as a range, and in 1917 was appointed to the Eagle district as ranger, and he and his wife moved here, and have made this their home since.

In 1920, he resigned from the Forest Service , and with Thos. E. PHARO established the Eagle Garage, and for twelve years this partnership prevailed, the cement garage building now occupied by the Koonce Chevrolet company having been erected for their occupancy.

In 1918, he bacame a member of the Eagle lodge of Masons, and the work of that order and that of the Eastern Star were dear to him, he devoting much time to Masonic activities. The funeral services held in the Masonic hall in Eagle Thursday afternoon were in charge of that body attended by Masons from various parts of the county.

Burial services were at the Minturn cemetery in charge of Mortician Paul ANDRE of Eagle, with Rev. Claude COPLEY delivering a short address on the theme quoted above, and with the impressive burial service of the Mason lodge, conducted by E. J. BINDLEY of the Eagle lodge. Mrs. Frank BROWN and Mrs. PHILLIPS of Leadville sang "Life's Sunset, " and Mrs. Dorothy GERARD, Miss Marion STANLEY and Mrs. Elmer LUNDGREN of Gypsum sang "Sunrise Tomorrow," and "Whispering Hope."

Only near relatives serviving are his beloved wife, Ida, and one brother, Fred, now living in Kansas.

Mr. Dickerson was a good neighbor, loyal citizen, faithful to any trust, private or public, placed on him, and his demise will make a strongly felt vacancy in the community.
[unknown newspaper, c 1938]

Return to Top

DICKSON, William H.

Pioneer Citizen and Venteran of the Civil War Passes Away.

William H. Dickson died at his residence in Red Cliff early Monday morning, March 21st, after a long illness. Mr. Dickson had been in ill health for a number of years. Asthma at times made life almost unbearable, and lately symptoms of dropsy were manifest with other complications. He had been confined to his bed but little, and death finally came suddenly while he was sitting in his chair.

William H. Dickson was born in York county, Pennsylvania, 63 years ago the 2nd of last September. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having been a member of Company K, 87th volunteer infantry of Pennsylvania. Very soon after the war Mr. Dickson came west and was among the sturdy and fearless pioneers who first settled Kansas, having been on the frontier in that part of the country during the stirring period following the close of the Rebellion. Later he pushed on into New Mexico and when the mining excitement broke out in Leadville he was in the first rush to that place.

In 1881 deceased was among the pioneers of Red Cliff and has resided here ever since. He engaged in the retail coal and transfer business and has always been actively identified with the town. He had served in various local official positions, among them as mayor of Red Cliff.

Deceased leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs. Malcolm Macaulay, and a host of personal friends to mourn his demise.

The funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon at the opera house and was largely attended. Rev. H. E. Heyse, of Leadville, conducted the services, with interment at Greenwood cemetery.
Eagle County Blade, March 24, 1904, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Mrs. W.M. Dickinson Dead.
The very sad intelligence of the death of Mrs. Wm. Dickinson in Denver Tuesday of this week was received in Eagle by friends of the family Wednesday morning.

The death was a very great surprise to friends here, as Mrs. Dickinson was a very strong, healthy woman, and appeared to be in the very best of health when seen in Denver by friends from here last week. Last Friday she was stricken with the influenza, and Sunday her condition was such that Mr. Dickinson, who is manager of the Dickinson-Allison Lumber Co., hurried to Denver to her bedside, arriving there only a few hours before her death.

Mr. Dickinson and his daughter, Marion, have the heartfelt sympathy of their friends here in their great bereavement.

The funeral was held in Denver Wednesday, where the body was laid to rest beside that of Mrs. Dickinson's sister, who was also stricken down with the influenza last fall.
Feb. 7, 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Wm. M. DICKINSON died unexpectedly Friday morning at 8:30 o'clock.

Mr. DICKINSON was one of the pioneer lumbermen of Colorado. For the past twenty odd years he has been a resident of Eagle, as manager and president of the Dickinson-Allison Lumber Company.

Bill DICKINSON was a man, a splendid citizen and businessman; a friend, without comparison to those whom he liked.

For the past year Mr. DICKINSON has not been in good health, but that he was near the end was not thought of by those close to him. He returned home from Denver last week where he had been for medical treatment and was presumed to be recovering, so that the announcement of his death came as a great surprise.
Aug. 31, 1934, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1

Return to Top


Oscar F. Diemoz, 84, a lifetime resident of the Basalt area, died May 18 in Carbondale, following a brief illness.

The youngest child of Clemente M. and Marie Adeloide Diemoz of Aosta, Italy, Oscar was born at their Emma ranch home on Oct. 14, 1914.

He spent his life on the family's ranch in partnership with his brother Aime. His childhood was spent in the Emma area, and he graduated from Basalt Union High in 1932.

Throughout his life he was active in community boards, a member of the Basalt Community United Methodist Church, lifetime member of the Odd Fellows and Rebekah lodges, the local Co-op and El Jebel senior group.

He was married to Vivian Hutchinson on Dec. 10, 1947, in Denver. After retirement, he and Vivian enjoyed numerous sightseeing trips and cruises.

He enjoyed gardening, caring for his livestock and his ranch land, and participated in sports and became an avid sports fan.

He is survived by his wife, Vivian; his daughter Janice and husband Leroy Duroux of Basalt, and his son Stephen and wife Dianne of Kimball, Neb.; grandchildren Anna and Christopher Diemoz, and Amy and Darren Duroux; brother Adolph of Glenwood Springs; and numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.Oscar was preceded in death by his parents; a daughter, Judy Diemoz; brothers Aime and Stephen; and a sister, Mary.
[21 May 1999 Aspen Times]

Return to Top

DILTS, James

Friday morning E. E. GLENN received a letter from the nephew of James DILTS with whom the latter had made his home in Wyoming for the past two years, stating that the old gentleman had died Wednesday of this week.
[18 Apr. 1924, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

----DILTS, James - One of Eagle County's Foremost Citizens --Was a Leader in Carving County Out of Wilderness. In the death of James DILTS at LaBonte, Wyo., at the home of his nephew, Fred DILTS, last week Eagle county lost one of its real pioneers and builders.

James DILTS was born in Ohio over seventy-five years ago and after securing his education, which included the degree of Bachelor of Law, he came West first locating at Leadville, then in its first boom, about 1880. He became acquainted with Sam DOLL, then located in Leadville, and through the later was interested in coming to the Eagle river valley, then a part of Summit county. He located for a time at Dotsero, then promising to become a boom camp by reason of a reported discovery of gold ore in that vicinity. He was the original locator of the Deep creek ranch, now owned by Frank DOLL, near the mouth of that creek on the Colorado river, where he lived for a number of years.

Being a man of unusual mental ability, he soon became a leader in the activities of the county and had a hand in most projects for the up building of the county. As there was a scarcity of school teachers in this country in the early days, Mr. DILT was easily persuaded to teach school for a number of years, and he soon became a leader of the educational affairs of the then new county. He was elected one of the first county superintendents of school and served in that capacity for several terms. Soon after the town of Eagle was founded he became one of its foremost citizens. He remained a citizen of the town through all of its ups and downs, his counsel being always sought when matters of importance to the community were under ---------and wise and heeded by those who were working for the up building of the community. After coming to Eagle, he resumed his law practice, neglected in the other activities incident to the building of a new community out of the wilderness, and served the county in the capacity of county attorney for many years, He was twice elected to the legislature from Eagle county, the last time being in 1920. Soon after his last election to the legislature his health began to fail, and before his term expired he had become practically helpless, during the last two years his once active and brilliant mind failing and during the last months of his illness was completely helpless, requiring constant care which was given him by loving hands in the home of his nephew.

Jim DILTS never acquired much of this world's goods. His opportunities for wealth were many, but beyond his immediate needs he cared not for money or what it stood for. Liberal to a fault, he gave of his time and means to his neighbors without stint. He could not bring himself to charge a neighbor for legal advice, with the result that at times he was grossly imposed upon. The strings of his purse were always loose to the needy and he was liberal to every public cause to the limit of his means.

When the history of Eagle county is written, no man will play a bigger part in its pages than James DILTS if it is honestly written. His body was laid to rest at Douglas, Wyo., Friday, April 18.

His death is deeply regretted by hundreds of friends all over Colorado, for his acquaintance was wide in the state.
Return to Top


Another pioneer of Eagle county passed away the past week when J. M. DIMANT died at the Los Angels hospital last Saturday morning, following a long illness. The direct cause of his death was stated to be a kidney trouble.

Merrit DISMANT spent most of his life in Eagle county, and for nearly fifty years he and his brother, Voss, were among the leading mining men of the county, nearly all of their operations being on Battle mountain. They operated some of the largest properties in the Battle Mountain mining district at various times, and were responsible for the recovery of hundreds of thousands of dollars of ore. Making some notable strikes on the properties he operated, Mr. DISMANT put most of it back into the round in search of further mineral riches. His last and most notable venture was the Liberty property on Turkey creek above Red Cliff. He, in association with others, spent more than three quarters of a million dollars. His judgment on the ore bearing bodies on this property proved to be good. But the great flow of water encountered at the depth ore was located precluded profitable operations, and the development was finally abandoned and the property finally passed into the hands of the Empire Zinc company.

Broken in health, some two years ago he and Mrs. DISMANT moved to California, where he was associated with Jack TEETS, a former resident of Red Cliff, in the conduct of the first automobile hotel on the Pacific coast at Santa Monica, Calif. The business has been successful and Mr. DISMANT at first enjoyed better health and both he and Mrs. DISMANT were pleased and happy in their new home and business. The past year, however, health again began to fail him, and the end came Saturday.

Merrit DISMANT will long be remembered by the older residents of the county as a good citizen, progressive and loyal to his home and family, and will regret that disease called him before his time.

He is survived by his widow and three sons. Merrit V. still lives in Red Cliff and the place of his nativity and is in business there. Carl, the second son, is a mining engineer in charge of operations for a large mining company in the Philippines Islands. The younger son, John, is this year attending the Colorado School of Mines in Golden from where he expects to graduate this spring with his engineer's degree. Carl was unable to reach his father during his last illness, but the remainder of the family were at his bedside during the last hours of his life.

Funeral services were held Monday and burial was made at Pomona. (17 March 1939, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top

DISMANT, Robert Vosburg

R. V. DISMANT Dies At Home In Red Cliff Monday. Was one of Pioneer Mining Men Of Battle Mountain--Had Been Active in Mining Affairs, There For More Than Thirty Years--Was Sick For Several Weeks.

A large concourse of sorrowing friends of the late Voss DISMANT filled the Presbyterian church at Red Cliff Wednesday afternoon to pay their last respects to the deceased man.

Mr. DISMANT had been seriously ill since about the first of the month being afflicted with influenza, which developed into pneumonia. Monday morning, January 23, 1933, at 9:30 o'clock the end came, and a devoted husband and father and a staunch friend, and good citizen, passed to his reward in that land of unknown.

Robert Vosburg DISMANT was born January 7, 1878, at Council Bluffs, Iowa. When only nine years of age his family moved to Colorado, bringing him with them. Here Voss grew to manhood and spent the greater part of his life in Red Cliff, although he lived two years in Indian Territory and a short time at Victor, Colo. He mined at Victor a short time, but the lure of the wealth in the mountains of his boyhood always called him back to further development in their depths, and his efforts at times were crowned with considerable success. On Christmas day, 1901, he was united in marriage to Rose STOFFER. The young couple first made their home at Bells Camp and then at Red Cliff. To this union was born three daughters, Mrs. Ethel MILLER, now living at Hotchkiss, Colo.; Lucille and Margaret, living at home. Other than the daughters, those left to mourn his passing are his widow, Rose DISMANT, two grand daughters and one grandson; his twin brother, Merritt, and several nephews of Red Cliff; three sisters, Mrs. Grace WARTON of Red Cliff; Mrs. Irene BRYANT of Ardmore, Okla., and Mrs. Elizabeth GULICK of Pheonixville, Pa.; and a brother, William, living in California.

Mortician O. W. MEYER conducted the funeral services at the church, and Rev. M. Lee SMITH, pastor of the local Presbyterian church delivered a splendid discourse at the church. Mrs. NORLANDER and Mrs. Jas. CLEARLY sang three vocal duets at the church, during the services--"Sometime We'll Understand," "Love Devine," "Lead Kindly Light"--with Mrs. Ollie MEYER accompanying them at the piano. Following the church services the body was borne to Evergreen cemetery and laid to rest, with the rites of the Masonic order, the deceased having been a member of the Minturn lodge of that order. Pall bearers were, Thos. COLLINS, William BRADY, Ira MCILLNAY, M. H. McLEOD, Wm. HEATH, and James ROSE.

Voss DISMANT was recognized as one of the best and most competent mining men of the Battle Mountain district. Associated with his brother, Merritt, he had managed some of the most successful operations of that region of the past thirty years. While he had, over the course of these years, taken wealth in gold and silver from the mountains which would amount to a considerable fortune, his venturesome nature also impelled him to return his gains in further development, so that his life was full of the ups and downs natural to the instinct of a miner.

With his death has passed another of the pioneers of the Battle Mountain mining district, one whom will be sadly missed, and as the years go by, and his deeds of development are recounted by those who knew him at the height of his successful career, his usefulness to the community will be more and more recognized.

The Enterprise family joins many other friends in extending sympathy to the sorrowing family.
[27 June 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


John DIVINEY died at the home of his mother, Mr. DIVINEY is survived by his mother, Mrs. LANGTON, and his brother, Thomas DIVINEY.

The funeral was held at Gypsum Wednesday afternoon.
[20 Dec. 1918, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Outdoorsman killed in horse accident

By Randy Wyrick, Vail Daily, 8 June 2001

Memorial Service
A memorial service for Dick Dixon is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday at the Lazy J Ranch in Wolcott. It's a wild game feed, and everyone should bring something for a pot luck. The event will include a 21-shotgun salute. Donations should be made to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Ducks Unlimited.

How do you remember the heroes of your youth the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, John Wayne?

The picture firmly etched in your memory is a bold man on a spirited horse, in command of both his animal and his world.

And that's how Dick Dixon's friends want you to remember him.

He's my hero, said longtime friend Jan Johnson. He was everyone's hero, and heroes are not supposed to die.

But all things do.

Dixon died this week from injuries suffered in a horseback riding accident.

He was 65.

Born March 20, 1936, in Elkhart Lake, Wis., Dixon served in the U.S.

Army four years and attended college in Wisconsin before landing in Colorado in the early 1960s. He migrated to Vail from Breckenridge, working as a trail crew member for Vail Associates before joining the ski patrol for 10 years. He married Annetta in 1965 and their sons Eric and Troy were born in Glenwood Springs during the decade he served on ski patrol.

In those early hardscrabble days of Vail, one of the primary forms of entertainment was storytelling, and Dixon was a master.

He loved to talk and tell stories, and he'd act them out with the gestures that went with the stories, said longtime friend Jack Carnie. You could see him hook a fish. It could be a story that you had heard before, but you'd stand there and listen to it again because he was telling it so well.

As an ambulance driver, he frequently made emergency runs to Denver before Vail's hospital was built. Dixon helped initiate the area's first search and rescue group, and began the original hostess program on the mountain. He worked with a maintenance program for VA before leaving Vail in 1979 for Grand Cayman, where he co-owned and ran a SCUBA dive shop. After marrying Patti in 1981 and moving back to Vail, he and Hemmie Westbye started the West Slope Surplus Store, which became Dixon Outfitters when Dixon bought out his partner. Dixon retired after closing the store a year and a half ago.

During his years in Vail, Dixon was a bartender at the Red Lion, and spent a couple of summers in Alaska fishing for salmon with his business partner and friend Westbye. He also was a licensed trapper, avid hunter and fisherman. He loved to be in the backcountry, whether it was for hiking, camping, snowshoeing, hunting or fishing. He was an extraordinary storyteller, a naturalist and historian.

He hunted for the love of the outdoors and nature, as much as for the hunt itself, said Susie Johnson. He was a mentor to all the children who grew up in this valley. In addition to his wife, Patti, Dixon is survived by his sons, Eric (Lynn) Dixon and Troy (Tanya) Dixon of Eagle; his mother Kay Dixon of Elkhart Lake, Wis. and a sister Kathleen Skarvin of Cedarburg, Wis

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Dick Dixon's name be sent to Ducks Unlimited or the Rocky Mountain Elk RMEF, Eagle County Chapter, Box 3803, Minturn, Colo. 81645.

Return to Top

DIXON, John L.

John L. DIXON, a resident of McCoy, Colo., since 1927, passed away Sunday, August 5, 1933. He had been in poor health for some time.

Mr. DIXON was born in North Carolina, October 26, 1873. In 1913 his wife passed away, leaving four children. One daughter, Mrs. Eary JOHNSON was with him when he died. He had been a member of the Baptist church seventeen years and served as a deacon in that church for a number of years.

Funeral services were conducted at McCoy August 6, with Mr. C. F. PETERSON officiating, and burial was made in the McCoy cemetery.

The deceased will be greatly missed by his seven brothers and sisters, one of whom is our own, J. B.(Jim) JONES, with whom he made his home. Also by his daughter. Mrs. JOHNSON, and one other daughter and two sons living in Georgia, his nephew, Wymer DIXON, of McCoy; and other relatives, together with a host of friends.--Contributed by C. F. P.
[11 Aug. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, P1]

Return to Top

DOBSON, Catherine

Catherine "Cissy" DOBSON will be remembered during a memorial service today at 11 a.m. at the Vail Interfaith Chapel. Episcopalian priest Bruce P. MONCREIEFF will officiate.

DOBSON died New Year's Day after succumbing to lung cancer. She was 71 years old.

Cissy and John DOBSON moved to Vail from Burlington, Vt., in 1965. They designed and built the Covered Bridge Store and operated it for 20 years. The couple initially lived in an apartment above the store.

John, who had served as a mayor of Vail, Died in 1984(05/18/17).

Cissy was known for her love of music and generous involvement with the Vail community. She is credited with fund-raising efforts to construct the Vail Interfaith Chapel, where she played the organ until she became ill. DOBSON also served on the boards of Bravo! Colorado Music Festival and the Vail Alpine Garden.

DOBSON is survived by her three children, Lee MONRO of Burlington, Vt., Willie McDONALD of Fort Collins and Johnny McDONALD of Denver; two step-daughters, Pam ALLEN and Elizabeth BROWN; four grandchildren, Allison MONRO, Catherine MONRO, Toby McDONALD and Jill McDONALD; son-in-law Elvin KAPLAN; and two sisters, Allan McILVAINE and Peggy McILVAINE.

In lieu of flowers, friends may make donations to the Vail Valley Home Health Care program, in care of the Vail Valley Medical Center or to the Catherine M. DOBSON Hymnal Fund, in care of the Episcopalian Church of the Transfiguration, 19 Vail Road.

An arts scholarship with the Vail Valley Arts Council and a music scholarship with Bravo! Colorado Music Festival will be established in DOBSON's name.

A second memorial service is planned for May in Burlington. (Vail Daily 01/04/93)

Return to Top

DOBSON, Catherine M.

Catherine M. (Cissy) DOBSON portrayed an exuberance of life, and provided happiness and joy to everyone she encountered, and at her funeral ceremony on Jan. 4, approximately 400 friends and loved ones joined in a celebration of her life. Music filled Cissy's soul during her life and afterwards. A Vail resident for 29 years, she was dedicated to filling the Vail Interfaith Chapel with her exuberant and heartfelt melodies which flowed out of the chapel's organ and piano. She received her training at Julliard's School of Music. But at the ceremony people heard the music knowing that for the first time this was not coming from Cissy. Her last request was that people not mourn her death, but celebrate her life with music.

"Let's sing some great old hymns," Cissy told Rev. Bruce MONCRIEFT when they were making funeral arrangements several months before she died.

And sing they did. The ceremony began with a rendition of "Greensleeves." continued with hymns, after which MONCRIEFT spoke in Cissy's behalf, and the church was filled with still another hymn. Cissy never wanted a eulogy, she wanted love and remembrance. She didn't want tears, she wanted joy. She wanted laughter. She told her friends and family that if they have anything to say about her, "write a letter to the editor."

Music filled the room for more than an hour. People did cry, but they also filled with wonder at the beauty of the ceremony.

"The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. Rev. MONCRIEFT gave the most incredible sermon I've ever heard. Cissy would have absolutely loved it," said Marge BURDICK, Cissy's best friend. Throughout the ceremony, whispers in the background pronounced, "This is great. This is beautiful."

Cissy's death came on New Year's Day after she was diagnosed just a few days before Thanksgiving with lung cancer, but she faced her cancer with courage.

"Cissy's approached her death with absolute courage and faith. She wasn't afraid to die. It was her faith (in God) that gave her peace," BURDICK said.

Cissy was an instrumental part of the church community. She was involved in the ground-breaking ceremony with the Vail interfaith Chapel, and she was the treasurer for the Vail Religious Foundation.

"She contributed greatly with her music, and she really contributed a lot to the community," said Christie HOCHT who worked closely with Cissy at the Vail Religious Foundation. Her faith was her inspiration to get involved with the church.

Cissy and her late husband John Dobson, who was the mayor of Vail from 1968-77, came to Vail in 1965. Both John and Cissy were involved in practically every aspect of the community, and were instrumental in the building of the Interfaith Chapel.

"The contribution she was most interested in was the Interfaith chapel. She never stopped working for it. She had an enormous, wonderful faith in God," BURDICK said. The goodness she derived from her faith inspired her friends, but they loved her for her sense of humor as well. "She had a fantastic sense of humor. She was full of mischievousness which was wonderful. People cared about her because she was truly a good person and because she was always fun," BURDICK remembered. Cissy and John opened the Covered Bridge store in 1965, and owned and operated it for nearly 20 years. For the first three years they lived in an apartment above the store.

Their dedication to the beautification of Vail was demonstrated by their involvement with the community. Cissy volunteered her time to help with the Betty Ford Alpine Garden. One of John's greatest contributions when he was mayor was the purchase of Ford Park. He also initiated the constriction of Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater. During the last months of Cissy's life, her family's love and devotion really shined through. Cissy's family expressed their love for her and was there for her all her life, but especially while she was ill.

"She was surrounded by her family which couldn't have been more loving, supportive, and caring." BURDICK said. "She was surrounded by people who loved her when she was ill and when she died." (Vail Trail Jan. 7, 1994)

Return to Top


This community was shocked on Sunday last to learn of the sudden death of John Scott Doddridge, which occurred on Saturday, March 21st, 1908, at Rawhide, Nevada.

Mr. Dodddridge was one of the pioneer mining men of this district and up to but very recently was actively interested in local mining. Mr. Doddridge was a native of Ohio and was about 60 years of age at the time of his death. His health has not been robust for a couple of years, he having suffered two attacks of pneumonia. Notwithstanding, he had largely recovered, and was in fair health when he went to Nevada, his death apparently, being quite sudden from causes not learned at this writing. Mrs. Dodddridge was at their home in Leadville at the time of her husband's death. Upon her instructions, which were in compliance with the expressed wish of Mr. Doddridge, the remains were shipped to Glenwood Springs, this state, where the funeral and interment occurred today at 2 o'clock.

Mr. Doddridge was a pioneer of Colorado, having been one of the '79ers of Leadville. Soon after that date he came to Battle mountain and ever since had followed mining both here and at Leadville. A few years ago, in partnership with J. B. Dowd, of Red Cliff, he operated quite heavily on the Ground Hog mine on Battle mountain, and was successful in his various mining ventures, being possessed of a comfortable competence at the time of his death. Mr. Doddridge was a conservative man of quiet habits and enjoyed the confidence and respect of a large circle of acquaintances who will learn of his death with very sincere regret.
Eagle County Blade, March 26, 1908, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Funeral of John S. Doddridge

From the Glenwood Avalanche
The funeral of John Doddridge was held this afternoon (last Thursday) at 2 o'clock from the Episcopal church, Rev DuBois having charge of the services. A host of the deceased's friends came from the surrounding towns and paid their last earthly tribute to the memory of their departed friend. The remains were interred in Rosebud cemetery.

The following acted as pall bearers: Fred Ewing and Senator E. T. Taylor of this city, W. W. Huntington, Denver; Robert B. Estey, Leadville; C. B. Stope/Stone, Avon; and M. A. Walsh, of Red Cliff. The choir of the Episcopal church furnished the music.
Eagle County Blade, April 2, 1908, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Robert Donahue, a section man about 45 years of age, died suddenly of heart disease at M. B. HAAS' place at Minturn yesterday afternoon. Coroner FARNUM was notified and took charge of the remains. The burial will occur at Red Cliff tomorrow.(23 Jun 1904, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

DONNELLY, Patricia Irene

Patricia Irene DONNELLY died Jan 18, in Glenwood Springs. She was 67.

The daughter of John and Ethal MERTZ, DONNELLY was born Feb 18, 1929 in Joliet, Ill. She was a Vail resident for 19 years, and loved traveling, her cats and reading.

She is survived by her husband, Gerald DONNELLY of Vail; a brother, Jack MERTZ of Ft. Collins, Colo.; a sister, Florence ENGLELS of Chicago, Ill.; sons Patrick DONNELLY of Mrganhill, Calif., Robert DONNELLY of Shorewood, Ill., and Jeffrey DONNELLY of Mesa, Ariz.; daughters Susan GAVRYS of Sewell, NJ, and Jill KANAKIS of Vail; and seven grandchildren.

A graveside service was held Jan 20 at Sunset View Cemetery in Eagle. The Rev Thomas BRADTKE officiated.

Return to Top

DOLL, Frank

With the passing of Franklin DOLL at his home in gypsum valley last Friday morning, June 7, 1940, marks the approximate end of an epoch in the history of Eagle County, a period filled with romance attended by all of the rough, interesting life incident to the claiming of a rough, raw country for civilization and culture. No man of the past generation had a greater part in this work than did Frank DOLL. For the preceding generation the name of Mr. DOLL was one to conjure with when affairs of the community or the entire western slope for that matter, were in consideration.

Born in Orsaneberg, Ohio, August 10, 1865, he was the youngest of a family of four boys. His father and older brothers were engaged in the coal business in Stark County, Ohio, and Frank grew to manhood helping in the business, but at the same time developing in the interest which intrigued him all of his life - pure bred horses and livestock. While engaged in the business of the family, he was early developing a stable of fine horses of his own.

On January 5, 1882, he was married to Miss Lucy Ellen SLUSSER of Louisville, Ohio. This union was a happy one and lasted until the death of his wife a year ago and to them were born five children - Samuel and Susan being born in Ohio, and Gretchen, Frank, jr., and Dorothy came to Colorado.

In 1886, he and his brother, Samuel came to Colorado, landing at Dotsero, and purchased the Gypsum valley ranch which soon became famous as the DOLL Brothers and CONDON ranch all over this part of the state. It was a year later, in 1887, that Frank DOLL brought his family to their new home.

Horse flesh was Mr. DOLL's passion and the DOLL ranch soon became known throughout the west as the breeding place of both standard and thoroughbred horses, and later the draft horses. During the boom years of the mining the logging camps of the mountain sections, before the day of automobiles tractors and trucks, Frank DOLL furnished hundreds of the best draft horses used by the freighters and ore hailers of these camps. The ranch was not only the first breeding place of purebred horses in this section, but Mr DOLL was always proud of the fact that the ranch developed the first herd of purebred Hereford cattle on the western slope.

In the midst of the great range country, cattle soon took the attention of Mr. DOLL and his partners. A great cattle ranch was developed and for years the DOLL herd ranged from Cottonwood creek to Coffee Pot and the range north of Deep creek. A far - sighted man, Frank DOLL early foresaw that there would sooner or later be but little open range for the cowman, and he commenced to acquire pasture land on the range north of Deep creek. By preemption and purchase, before his retirement from active life he had developed what is possibly the finest privately owned cattle range in western Colorado.

Frank DOLL was proud of his work for the community development, and was foremost in all its advancement. He was a partner in the first general merchandise store in Gypsum, and the firm built a flour mill on Gypsum creek. the mill, which stood on the present site of the Eagle River Electric company's power plant below gypsum, later burned down.

In 1910, the partnership of DOLL Brothers was dissolved, and Mr. and Mrs. DOLL built the beautiful ranch home near the mouth of Gypsum creek canyon, where they spent the remainder of their life together. Advancing years and Mrs. DOLL's ill health, gradually curbed Mr. DOLL's varied outside interests, until during the five years previous to his death he devoted time to the home and care of his wife. Since her death, June 22, 1939, his health had rapidly failed until the end came last Friday morning.

Mr. Doll was a life long Mason, and when Castle Lodge No. 122 of Eagle was organized in 1906, he transferred from Canton, Ohio, and became a charter member of the local lodge. With one exception, he was the last of the charter members remaining alive. The other member, David WEDMORE, OF Prescott, ariz., who was present Sunday to assist in the funeral services conducted by the order.

Funeral services conducted at the home in Gypsum creek valley at 10:00 o'clock Sunday morning, were under the auspices of the Masonic lodge of Eagle, and were attended by a large number of former acquaintances, friends, and neighbors. Rev. Charles RAMMEY of Trinidad, Colo., delivered the funeral discourse, and during the service Mrs. RAMMEY sang two solos. The body of the rugged old pioneer was then laid away in the family burial plot in Cedar Hill cemetery at Gypsum in the shadow of the hills and forest which he had known so intimately for more than half a century.

The oldest son, Samuel, passed away at the age of 13; Gretchen, married to Robert DeFOOR, died in 1924. The three other children, Susan, Barthell, Carbondale, Colo.; Frank jr., and Dorothy GERARD, Gypsum, survive. There are also seven grand children and three great grandchildren living.

Return to Top

DOLL, Lucy Ellen

Death has claimed another of the pioneer women of Eagle county, Mrs. Frank Doll having passed away at the home in Gypsum valley where she had lived for more than 50 years, on last Thursday, June 22, 1939.

Lucy Ellen SLUSSER was born at Louisvill, Ohio, October 22, 1859, where she passed her girlhood and early womanhood. January 5, 1882, she was married to Franklin Doll, to which union were born five children - Samuel Doll, deceased; Susan Doll BARTHELL, Meeker, Colo.; Gretchen Doll DeFOOR, deceased; Frank Doll, Jr., and Dorothy Doll GERARD, both of Gypsum valley. There are also seven grand children surviving - Sam, Rachel, Eva and Ellinore Barhell, Gretchen DeFoor, and Frank and Morton Doll.

In 1888 Mr. and Mrs. Doll came to the Gypsum valley, where Mr. Doll embarked in the cattle and horse raising business, and for 51 years the family has been dominate in the business and social affairs of the county. Mrs. Doll was a good neighbor, and until ill health overtook her, prominent in all the affairs of Gypsum and the community; well beloved by hundreds of friends all over the county. For five or six years past Mrs. Doll has been in failing health, confined to her home continuously for many months past, and her death at this time was not unexpected.

Besides her husband and immediate family, the deceased is survived by a brother, Luik Slusser, and two sisters, Ada Slusser and Mrs. Cora OYSTER, all of Louisville, Ohio.

Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Doll ranch home in upper Gypsum valley, attended by a large concourse of sorrowing friends. A devote and faithful member of the Christian Science church, the services for the deceased were read by Mrs. Kenneth KING, a member of that church from Glenwood Springs. During the services, Mrs. Lamar IKELER, also of Glenwood Springs, sang a number of songs.

The body was laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery in Gypsum, pall bearers being members of the Masonic lodge, as follows; J.D. ALLEN, E. J. BINDLEY, B.F LONG, Wm. H. LUBY, Thos. E. PHARO, Wm. H. LEA.

Return to Top

DOLL, Samuel

Death Of A Grand Old Gentleman. "Uncle Sam" DOLL answers The Last Roll Call.

When the death of "Uncle Sam DOLL was announced shortly afternoon last Saturday every man, woman and child in Gypsum bowed their head in sorrow. Mr. DOLL was one of the most beloved citizens of Gypsum valley and everyone feels his loss. He had been one of the leading citizens of the county for nearly 50 years, and it he had made an enemy during that time, no one knows who it is.

Funeral services for Mr. DOLL were held from the American Legion hall, which was packed to overflowing by sorrowing friends, who had come to pay their last respects to a man whom they loved and respected during his life time.

It had been one of his last requests that he be buried with military honors, and accordingly the entire service was in charge of Eagle Valley Post No. 150 American Legion, of which he was an honorary member. The Post carried out the ceremony in splendid manner.

During the services at the hall a male quartet--J. D. ALLEN, Chester MAYER, H. K. BROOKS and W. S. BROWN--sang Rock of Ages, Nearer My God to Thee and Tenting Tonight. The quartet was accompanied on the piano by Mrs. Alvin RULE and on the violin by Gene K. LUBY.

The pall bearers, all from the Legion Post were H. A. STEIN, F. W. CAVE, E. P. COLBURN, Arthur STREMME, Jesse MAXSON, Lester MAXSON.

The funeral discourse delivered by Rev. C. STOCKINGER, a Legion member and local pastor of the Methodist church, was one of the most masterly and appropriate funeral orations ever delivered in this community .

Samuel DOLL was born in Osnaburg, Stark county, Ohio on February 7, 1846, and died at the home of his nephew, John FRY , in Gypsum, Colo., Saturday, April 16, 1932, at the age of 86 years, 2 months and 9 days.

His boyhood days were spent in Osnaburg along with his parents and three brothers and one sister. When the Civil war broke out, he, like all other boys was anxious to get into the fray, so though only a lad of 15, he along with his brother , Hiram enlisted in the Army of the Cumberland 19 regiment, Ohio infantry. This was in the fall of 1861.

He took active part in the battles of Shilo, Nashville, and other battles. Many were the hardships endured many were the times he escaped being captured narrowly, for being an adventurous and daring lad, he was often sent to forage for food for the company. It was such adventures that made him into the bold brave pioneer that he was. by Miss Anna ANDERSON.

At the close of the war, not being content with the quiet life at home, he ventured forth to Logansport, Ind. From this time on his enterprises and business adventures were many; he was not afraid to try anything and nearly all his attempts turned out successfully. He remained in Logansport just a short time and from there he went to Chicago, where his interests and works were many and varied.

He first came to Colorado in 1883, but he did not remain here permanently, as he went back and forth to Chicago from time to time. He took up land at Dotsero and in Gypsum valley, property which he held at the time of his death, thus making the beginning of a big ending.

He was one of Eagle county's faithful pioneers. He had a big part in the up building of every worthy enterprise and took an active part in affairs until about sixteen years ago, when, after a severe sick spell, he was forced to retire from active life.

He was a friend to all; he was known to every one as Uncle Sam. Especially did he love little children, and, having none of his own, he bestowed his kindness upon the children of the community. How he loved to walk down the street and talk to every little child he met, and never did he fail to have for them a piece of candy. He called them all his "little customers."

Little by little he has been growing more feeble for the past year and a half, being practically confined to his home since that time, and the visits from the children meant so much to him.

He was able however, to conduct his personal business affairs until the very last. About six weeks ago he seemed to contract a cold from which he could not recover. He remained in his chair until Tuesday of last week, when he was forced to his bed.

The end came swiftly and quietly, and the last spark of life went out at noon on last Saturday.

Being a member of the McKinley Post G. A. R. and an honorary member of Eagle River Post No.150, American Legion, always supporting their enterprises, and being interested in their work, it is fitting and proper that they accord to him the respect they bestow upon him today.

So has passed another Civil war veteran and a brave pioneer of the West. Each day the ranks of these men grows smaller, and fade into history as he has--Uncle Sam DOLL. Surviving him is one brother, Frank DOLL of Gypsum, as well as many nieces and nephews, even unto the forth generation, and hosts of friends, who will miss him sadly.

Following the services in the Post quarters, the body was escorted to Cedar Hill cemetery by the Legion, where it was laid to rest with full military honors.
[17 April 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Results in the Death of Bart DONALDSON at Copper Camp

Last Friday morning Coroner GILPIN was called to a small place by the name of Copper Camp on the Denver & North western Railroad above the Yarmany station to investigate the death of Bart DONALDSON from a pistol shot would.

Upon investigation the Dr. discovered that death resulted from an accident with a Lughert automatic revolver which DONALDSON was handling and which was accidentally discharged.

DONALDSON, who was a soldier in the Philippines, had been going through the gun drill exercise with a twenty-two caliber rifle for the benefit of three companions who were in the cabin at the time.

After putting the rifle back on the rack he took down the revolver and was examining it when the gun went off, the bullet striking him just below the right breast, passing completely through the body and severing the spinal cord which caused instant death.

When his companions, who were not looking at him, at the time heard the explosion and seen him fall they thought he was fooling but on examining him it was found the shot had killed him instantly.

The body was taken to Yarmany to await the arrival of relatives from the east.(11 Feb 1909, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


On September 17, 1917 Miss Sarah DOUGHERTY, passed away at her home below Gypsum at the age of 74 years 11 months a 7 days.

Miss DOUGHERTY is a sister of Mrs. J. P. QUINLAN, who passed on at McCoy some years ago, and aunt of Agnes QUINLAN and her sisters, one of her sisters is in Ireland and two in Boston. She came to Leadville forty-five years ago and located on a ranch on lower eagle river in 1886, where she engaged in stock raising up to this time, though always active and in good health. Miss DOUGHERTY began failing 3 months ago.

Miss Sarah DOUGHERTY was born Oct. 9, 1843 in Donegal county, Ireland, her loss brings sorrow and pain to her many friends, who respected and loved her for her many sterling qualities.

The funeral will be held at Gypsum Thursday, September 26th under the auspices of Father CARRIGAN of the Catholic church of Glenwood.
[21 Sept. 1917, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

DOWNEY, Mrs. Albert

A Sad Death

Died - At her home near Peachblow, Colo., Wednesday, May 29, 1907, at 1 o'clock p.m., Mrs. Albert Downey, aged about 24 years.
Seldom has it been our duty to record so sudden a death. A dark gloom spread over the whole community when it was whispered from one to another that the young wife of Albert Downey, who is well and favorable known to a great many of our people, had passed away.
She was of an affectionate disposition, bright and winning in her ways, so that friendship's circle was to her a large one. Indeed, it may be said of her, that "none knew her but to love her."
Only a few short years ago she was married to Albert Downey, who she leaves with one little baby boy, born Mary 21st, to mourn her loss. Her sickness was of but brief duration, little over a week. Seemingly with us today, active in life's round of duty and love, but gone tomorrow.
The casket containing the body was brought to Basalt Friday morning and carried tenderly to the M.E. church where Rev. W.E. Bennett preached a most touching and lovable sermon, after which the remains were conducted to Fairview cemetery and laid at rest.
The entire community heartily sympathize with Mr. Downey in his great sorrow.
Basalt Journal, Basalt (Eagle County), Colorado, Jun. 1, 1907, page 1 - contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

DRAPER, Chas. E.

C.E. Draper, who for the past year and a half has made his home at Minturn, was one of the best known and most popular men on the road. He came to the Rio Grande from the Santa Fe and during his residence in the midwest town he has endeared himself to everyone who knew him.

He leaves a wife and a baby daughter 4 years old to mourn his untimely call to the great beyond.

In speaking of Chas. Draper we may say: He always answered his call, was not afraid and met his death with his hand on the throttle of his engine.

He belonged to the Brotherhood of Engineers and was insured in that order for $[illegible]. He also carried an accident policy for $2,000.
Obituary includes photo: Eagle County Blade, Oct. 6, 1910, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Printed with "A Terrible Accident" concerning explosion which killed D.B. Elliott and Chas. Draper.

Return to Top


After an illness of several months, John DUBACH died at the home of Thos. COLLINS in Eagle Wednesday morning, April 28, death being the result of a cancerous growth on the face, brought on by an attack of Spanish influenza which Mr. DUBACH suffered a year ago. The past few weeks his suffering has been intense, and since his return from a hospital in Salida a week ago, it was plain that the end was near.

John DUBACH was born of German parentage seventy-one years ago, and was a pioneer of the Western Slope of Colorado. He was attracted to the placer fields Hahn's Peak during the first excitement attending the gold discovery in that region. In 1884 he settled on a homestead on the Bear river, eighteen miles from Steamboat Springs, taking up a tract of land, which has since become valuable. But the lure of the prospector was in his blood, and he abandoned the homestead and went to Alaska during the first Klondyke rush. He returned from that country with a small stake and settled on a piece of land near Fulford, and was married here a short time later. He is survived by the widow and one son.

Thefuneral was held from the COLLINS home in Eagle Thursday morning and the body laid to rest in the Eagle cemetery.
[30 April 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

DUKE, H. Benjamin, Jr.

H. Benjamin DUKE Jr., 74, an original investor in Vail ski resort, died in a car accident Monday, Jan. 22, 1996 in Denver.

The first non-family member and chief executive officer of the Gates Corporation of Denver, Mr. DUKE, was president and CEO of Gates, built an international manufacturing and sales network that led the company specializing in industrial belting, to the industry's forefront.

DUKE first served on the board of directors for Vail Associates in 1966 and remained in that role for nearly 20 years, serving as chairman in the years prior to George GILLETT's ownership tenure, which began in 1985. DUKE and his family have long standing ties in the Vail Valley and he was extremely active in the Vail Valley Foundation as a board member, member of the executive committee, philanthropist and overall supporter.

Bob PARKER, former senior vice president of Vail Associates, and a contemporary of DUKE's in the 10the Mountain Division, spoke highly of his friend and of DUKE's association with Vail.

"Ben DUKE's role on our board was always a voice of logic and reason. He was financially conservative and his advice was constructive and careful. He was, of course, extremely well thought of in the ski community," PARKER said. "With respect to Ben's character, everyone looked up to him. He was a very quiet, not particularly public, man - but was extremely effective as a businessman and in matters connected with the 10the Mountain Division. He was sort of retiring to the point one didn't see him until one needed his sound advice; at which point he was invaluable. For a man in his position, he was low-key and unassuming with tremendous integrity.

"Summing him up, he was the quiet man of Vail and Colorado skiing and yet he played an extremely important role with Vail Associates, the Vail Valley Foundation, on the Masters ski racing circuit and on the 105h Mountain Trail Board. His accomplishments far out-weighed his visibility," Parker said.

DUKE served in the 10the Mountain Division as a Third Platoon Sergeant in Company L, 86the Regiment, under the command of long-time Vail Mountain Operations Director Bill BROWN. "He was one of the best people I've ever known," BROWN said. "Ben was an outstanding individual who never asked for favors, was always on time and had a tremendous amount of judgment and character. He was one of the first to prompt us to go for the 1989 World Alpine Ski Championships because he knew how much good it would do for all of Vail."

John GARNSEY, President of the Vail valley Foundation, had recently spoken with Ben about his heading the finance committee for the 1999 World Alpine Ski Championships, a position he had assumed for the 1989 event. "Ben had such a wonderful common sense approach to business," GARNSEY said. "He was the very best sounding board for us and was an incredibly special person. He will be missed terribly by all of us at the Foundation and within the Vail community."

Joe MACY, Manager of Governmental Affairs for Vail Associates, concurred. "He was the kind of person who best represented how Vail started and what it stood for. He was also an avid hunter and fisherman and a great , great skier."

DUKE conceptualized and funded the 10the Mountain Room in the Denver Public Library and was one of the founders of the 10the Mountain Resource Center.

DUKE is survived by his mother, Nordica W. DUKE of Denver, his wife, Maud, and four sons; James L., H. Benjamin III, Lester P. and Charles B. A fifth son, Peter, preceded him in death.

Services were held Jan 25 at St. John's Episcopal Cathedral in Denver. In lieu of flowers, donation can be sent to the Friends Foundation of the Denver Public Library or the 10the Mountain Division Foundation.(The Vail Trail - Jan 26, 1996)

Return to Top

DUMAS, Frank

A telephone message to The Enterprise from Mortician O.W. MEYER of Red Cliff Wednesday informed us of the death at 8:30 o'clock that morning of Frank Dumas at his home in Gilman. At this time arrangements for the funeral and burial had not been made but will be announced later.

Frank Dumas was one of the earliest business men of Bells Camp and Gilman, having retired from active business twelve or fifteen years ago. With the exception of a short period following his retirement. Mr. Dumas had been a citizen of the Battle Mountain district for more than fifty years.

DUMAS, Frank - Born in Canada, January 15, 1870, Frank E. Dumas migrated to the United States in 1887, at the age of 17. He came almost directly to Gilman, Colo., where he settled and soon went into business for himself. On July 5, 1896, he was united in marriage to Miss Minnie SMITH of Red Cliff, and to this union were born two daughters, Iris and Viola.

Mr. DUMAS remained on Battle Mountain through all the ups and downs that follow any mining camp, prospering when it prospered and taking the tough times as they came with a smile and a good nature. Several years ago he retired from business, and with his wife traveled for a few years. But the lure of the old home was too strong and the couple returned there to pass the remainder of their lives, death overtaking him on July 27, 1936. Mr. Dumas was a loyal citizen of the country of his adoption, was a good neighbor and held in high esteem by his business associates.

He is survived by his widow, Minnie DUMAS; two daughter, Mrs. Iris HAYBALL of Butte, Mont., and Mrs. Viola RUSSELL of Billings, Mont.; two grandson, Keith and Allen RUSSELL; and one sister, Mrs. Emma CREITIEN of Minneapolis, Minn.

Funeral services, attended by a large following of old friends and neighbors, were held from the Presbyterian church in Red Cliff Sunday afternoon, where Rev. T.B. McDIVITT of Eagle delivered the funeral discourse. During the church services Mrs. Alice ANDERSON and Miss Katherine BARLOW sang, "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere," "Someday We'll Understand," and "The City Four Square."

Pall bearers were: John DOYLE, Pete DOYLE, Edward DUFFY, Oscar NELSON, Ephraim SAPPENFIELD, Henry MARTIN. Burial was made in Evergreen cemetery at Red Cliff, under direction of Mortician O.W. Meyer.

Return to Top

DUNCAN, Carrie Watson

Word has been received of the death of Mrs. Carrie Watson DUNCAN, who passed away at Columbus, Boone county , Missouri, on the 10th day of January, 1941.

Mrs. DUNCAN and her husband, Dave DUNCAN, were two of the early pioneers of Eagle. They became residents of Eagle in about 1890, and for many years Mr. DUNCAN's place of business was the meeting place in the lower Eagle valley. It was before the days of banks and it was there that checks were cashed, there that the ranch man and cattle growers applied for person seeking employment and where one could gather most of the news of the valley. David C. DUNCAN, the husband, passed away some thirty-two years ago in Eagle, but his good wife, Carrie, remained here until about eight years ago, when she returned to her old Missouri home at Columbia and there made her home with a niece, Mrs. Lillian N. TORBET, until the date of her death. The cause of Mrs. Duncan's death was the infirmities of age and paralysis. Mrs. DUNCAN was a member of the new Providence Baptist church at Columbia, Mo., and funeral services were conducted at the Parker Funeral Home in Columbia by the Rev. W. C. PITNEY, a former pastor of the New Providence church and a friend of Mrs. DUNCAN during her life. The burial was in the New Providence cemetery, in a lot beside that of her deceased husband.

It will be remembered that Mrs. DUNCAN was a woman of outstanding courage and strength of character and during her many years of residence in Eagle county, she had a host of friends. She had a very kind heart and helped a number of our older residents in getting a start in life. Though her last years were spent in Missouri, she never forgot her Colorado home and often expressed the desire of returning and visiting with her old friends and neighbors, but age takes its toll and in the alter years she did not feel that she had the strength to return. had she lived until the 29th day of September, this year, she would have reached the age of ninety.

Return to Top

DUNN, Margi Lee

Margi Lee DUNN of Grover Beach, Calif. died September 4, 1997 at an arroyo Grande hospital at age 68.

A private family memorial service is planned. Cremation will take place at Lady Family Mortuary and Crematory in Arroyo Grande with internment in Colorado at a later date.

Margi was born December 23, 1928 in Denver, CO and had lived in Grover Beach since 1986 coming from Edwards and Grand Junction, CO. where she lived for many years. She had worked in the restaurant business for over 30 years and enjoyed sewing and crafts. She was an avid reader and loved birds. She particularly enjoyed taking road trips.

Margi is survived by sons, David ALITZ and wife Terri of Littleton, CO, Buster BRESHEARS of Los Angeles, Tim BRESHEARS and wife Kassie of Grand Junction, CO; daughters, Jan THOMPSON and husband Bud of Clifton, CO, Linda HATTON and husband Dale of Gypsum, CO, Anita OSBURN of Grand Junction, CO, Nancy CALHOON of Seattle WA; step -father, Champ SCOTT of Grover Beach; brothers Tom WEEMS of Littleton, CO, Bert WEEMS of Oceano, CA; 13 grand and 5 great grandchildren; many nieces and nephews, including Tracy LAGROW of Nipomo. Margi was preceded in death by son Rick ALITZ.

Arrangements under the direction of Lady Family Mortuary of Arroyo Grande.
[5 Sept. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p7]

Return to Top

DYER, Isaac

Isaac DYER, aged 93 years, died on November 23rd, at the residence of Matthew CAVANAUGH, near Gypsum.

The death of the old gentleman is of more than passing interest. He was a veteran of the Seminole, Mexican and Civil Wars, and was the hero of many adventures and varied experiences. He was born at Bennington, Vermont.

For many years he had made his home with Mr. Cavanaugh. It is said that at the time of his death application had been made for his admittance to the county poor farm, and that had he survived a few days longer he would have died there. In fact, Superintendent McGLOCHLIN, of the poor farm, notified County Undertaker FARNUM of the death and that deceased was a county charge.

Mr. W. H. GASKILL, of Red Cliff, learned of the circumstances and also that deceased was an old soldier, and called the attention of the authorities to the fact that old soldiers were not county charges, and that burial of indigent ones was provided for by the state. Hence this hero of three wars will not be buried in the potter's field, but will receive the burial accorded old soldiers.

It is not known why DYER did not go to a soldier's home, as he certainly had a right, if as reported, he was a veteran of the army. (1 Dec 1904, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


Dr. DYMENBERG Meets Death Under Wheels of Engine. Stepped in Front of Locomotive in Minturn Yards And Was Killed--His Tragic Death Cause of Much Sorrow in Minturn--Buried in Denver Wednesday.

The Minturn community was greatly shocked and saddened Saturday morning, December 24, when news spread that our local physician, Dr. Noah DYMENBERG, had been accidentally struck by a railroad locomotive and fatally injured. The accident occurred at 9:30 o'clock as he was returning from his regular morning visit to several patients residing across the tracks, north of the depot. Dr. DYMENBERG was crossing the tracks near the clerk's office and failed to see an engine on the side track backing from the ash pit.

When the accident was discovered it was evident that he was fatally injured, although he was still breathing. He was immediately carried to the hospital room at the Y. M. C. A., and Dr. NUTTING of Gilman was summoned. He never regained consciousness and passed away at 9:50 o'clock.

Dr. DYMENBERG'S death has cast a shadow of sorrow over the residents of the community, as he has been the local physician here for fifteen years, and had won for himself a warm spot in the hearts of his friends, who were many. Dr. DYMENBERG had a great personality---a way all of his own, which can be described in only one way, "Dr. DYMENBERG."

He was especially beloved by his children patients, to whom he showed great kindness, always addressing them in endearing terms. He was very conscientious and faithful in the performance of his professional duties, often sitting beside the bedside of a patient throughout the hours of day and night. His absence will be keenly felt and his memory fondly cherished.

Noah DYMENBERG was born in Austria. He received medical training at the universities of Bucharest and Vienna. He cam to America alone when still a young man, going first to Canada for a short time, then to St. Paul, Minn., where he entered a medical college, graduating in 1886. He made his way through college by tutoring pupils in French, Greek and Latin.

In 1886 he located in Omaha for the practice of Medicine. There he met, and, in 1887, was married to MDr. DYMENBERG practiced medicine in Chicago for two years and came to Colorado in 1898, locating at Rifle, where he built a hospital and practiced his profession for a number of years. In 1917 he came to Minturn where he has since resided, being the D. & R. G. W. railroad physician at this place.

At different times Dr. DYMENBERG went east to take additional work in his profession. He took a post-graduate course at the lying-in hospital and the Polyclinic hospital in New York City.

He is survived by his widow and daughter, son-in-law, five grand children and a niece and a nephew in Chicago.

Private funeral services were held at the Masonic hall Monday at 5 o'clock. The Eastern Star conducted a short service, after which the members of Eagle Lodge A. F. & A. M., of which he was a past master, escorted the body to the train. Services and burial took place in Denver from the MEYERS Funeral Home Wednesday, December 28.
[30 Dec. 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

Return to Eagle County Main page

Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb