HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:09 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Click on the name below to jump to the location on this page.

EA * EB * ED * EI * EL * EM * EN * EP * ES * ET * EV *


  • EATON, Grace May - Grace May Eaton

    Grace M. Eaton of the Extended Care Center in Steamboat Springs died March 31 at the center. She was 87.

    She was born May 1, 1911, in Eagle, the daughter of the late Archie J. and Chlorena (Hutsell) Edge. She married Melvin E. Eaton on Sept. 14, 1933, in Eagle and he preceded her in death on May 11, 1992. Grace was a registered nurse, and a general nurse practitioner in the Gilman and Eagle areas. She was Eagle County's first public health nurse, and was a private nurse in Glenwood Springs, before her retirement in the early 1960's.

    Grace loved the outdoors, traveling, camping, fishing, and nature, but especially loved her family, grandkids, and great grandchildren. She was a very classy lady.

    Survivors include her daughter, Deb Chilers, Steamboat Springs, and grandchildren, Robert (Terisa) Childers, Grand Junction, Denise (Jim) Pearson, Steamboat Springs, and Cindy (John) Faulkner, Fort Collins; great grandchildren, Jason and Tyler Childers, Christa and Jessica Pearson, and Ashlee, Brian and Jonathan Faulkner.

    She was preceded in death by a half-brother, Darcus Butler.

    Funeral services were held Saturday, April 3, 1999, at the Community United Methodist Church in Eagle. The Rev. Keith Hudiburgh officiated. Interment was in the Eagle Cemetery. Peterson Funeral Home of Steamboat was in charge of the arrangements.

    Memorials in Grace's name may be sent to the Extended Care Center Building Fund, 80 Park Ave., Steamboat Springs CO 80487.

    Eagle Valley Enterprise, Web posted Thursday, May 6, 1999

  • EATON, Lucille E. - People who moved into the Eagle area in the past decade probably won't recall Lucille Eaton, because in the last years of her life Alzheimer's disease pulled her away from her family and community.

    But long-time locals will remember Lucille as a hard working woman who raised a couple of families and operated her own business long before anybody ever heard of the feminist movement.

    She first came to Eagle County from her home in Kansas at the age of nine. Following the death of her father, Lucille came to beaver Creek to help a pregnant aunt with ranch chores. Lucille enjoyed telling the story of the first time she ever saw Denny EATON. He was just a three year old toddler, clinging to the back of his mother's saddle as she rode to the Quick Ranch on Beaver Creek to give a music lesson to Lucille's aunt. Lucille, who was about ten years old at the time, watched the pair ride down the gyp hill by what is now the Beaver Creek Road, not realizing she was watching a boy who would later become her husband for 34 years.

    Lucille repeated this story often, even in the years when her memory began to fail her. She attended grammar school in Avon, and attended Eagle Valley High School for three years before graduating in 1924, working as a local telephone operator while she completed her studies, Lucille's first marriage, to Floyd PING, ended in a divorce. Three children, Russel, Irene, and Jim, were born of that union.

    Always a hard worker, Lucille sold baked goods to local restaurants on a commission. she used money from the sale of pies to send her daughter to business school. In 1949, Lucille worked in the Eagle Cafe, located in the corner of the building on Broadway in Eagle that now houses the Adam's Rib offices. One of her customers at the cafe was Denny EATON, a man who had known her for most of her life.

    He describes the cafe as a little "hole in the wall' that could seat about 25 people and had a loyal local following for its home style meals. Denny remembers that frequent cafe customers included Thelma and Eldon WILSON, who operated a downtown business, and former Eagle County Sheriff Murray WILSON.

    When the owners of the cafe expressed a desire to sell their equipment and get out of the business, Lucille and EATON pooled their resources, and Lucille began operating the cafe herself. After nine years, Lucille grew weary of the long breakfast to dinner hours of the restaurant business. In 1957, when local business woman Fern DORNIK decided to sell her small clothing and dry goods store business, EATON, a divorced man with three young children of his own - Linda Lee, Brenda Jo, and Herb courted the pretty business woman.

    The pair worked hard to save enough money for a marriage. On March 6, 1958, Denny Anne Lucille "ran off to Las Vegas", and were married in the Little White Chapel. They even had a 78 rpm recording of their wedding ceremony. The record warped some time during their years together; but the marriage remained strong for 34 years, until Lucille's death last week.

    Throughout their marriage, Denny affectionately called his bride his "Princess". Lucille and Denny were business partners as well as marriage partners. They borrowed money together (as newlyweds. they once had to show the bank their marriage certificate when they were negotiating a loan) and worked to build up the store inventory. Denny handled the tax reports and the payroll; Lucille did the ordering, managed the accounts payable.

    The "serv-U-Shoppe" filled a niche in a small community, and kept Lucille busy for the next 20 years. In 1963, they acquired a piece of property on Broadway, and built a new building for the shop (the brick building that now houses the Kuttin' Korner and Allen Insurance Agency.) Lucille proved to have a knack for reading the needs of the community. She stocked her store with the basic items people wanted to purchase without leaving town; Hanes underwear, baby clothes, Wrangler jeans, cowboy shirts, knick knacks for special occasion gifts.

    She was sensitive to the fact that she was working with a small town clientele, and was careful to order dresses of varying patterns, so her local customers could avoid the pitfall of running into a friend wearing the same dress they had just purchased.

    Lucille enjoyed sewing, and took particular pride in her yard goods department. In her rare moments of free time, she often sewed for her grandchildren. She was also the member of the family who organized periodic dinners for gatherings of the large extended group of relatives. Sometimes her business sense was uncanny.

    Denny remembers with a laugh the time Lucille took a gamble and ordered a big shipment of sweatshirts with pictures of the new "Beatles" rock band. The first order sold like hot cakes, and Lucille quickly requested another big shipment. But somewhere in between that first and second shipment, the local demand ended. Denny speculates there were still a few Beatle's sweatshirts in the inventory when Lucille sold the business in 1977.

    Of course, the business had an occasional problem. One time, a couple of female shoplifters came into the store, then went back to the dressing room to try on bras and girdles. They spent some time in the dressing room, then walked out the door without making a purchase. Lucille quickly sized up the situation, realized the pair was absconding with some underwear, then followed them out the door with the empty boxes.

    "Here, you may as well take these too, you've got everything else," she advised.

    Lucille closed out her business in 1977, and she and Denny enjoyed several years of retirement. The symptoms of Alzheimer's started show up in about 1983. Lucille realized she was getting forgetful, and started to write notes to herself. She would forget her purse at the restaurant. Then, as the disease progressed, she would sometimes forget that she was Denny's wife. With the assistance of the county nursing staff, her family took care of her at home. By April of 1985, Lucille became disabled enough to require nursing home car. Except for one year and a half period when she returned to Eagle to be cared for by relatives, Lucille lived the remainder of her life at the nursing home in Carbondale.

    Denny continued to visit Lucille several times a week throughout her stay. Even on days when she couldn't remember how to talk, or exactly who he was, nursing home attendants commented that Lucille seemed to know Denny was there, and to take some comfort from his presence.

    She always remained the Princess to that man whom she first saw as a toddler hanging on the back of a horse

  • EATON, Melvin - Melvin EATON, who grew up on ranches at what are now Beaver Creek, Arrowhead, and Singletree, died on Monday, May 14, at the Heritage Park Nursing Home in Carbondale. He was 83.

    Born on Nov 22, 1908, to William and Nettie EATON in North Platte, Neb., he was the seventh of eight children. He had four brothers and two sisters.

    In 1915 the family leased land from man named OFFERSON at what is now Beaver Creek Village. An older brother remembered clearing what is now the Hay Meadow ski run for $15.00 an acre.

    In 1918 the family leased the ranch where Arrowhead is now located from John McCOY, the Buck dealer in Glenwood Springs. Two years of farming yielded success, but then the land was sold. They next leased the land where Singletree is now for two years, and in 1922 bought land up the right hand fork up Squaw Creek. The family remained there until 1925, when the father suffered a heart attack and was advised to leave the area to protect his health.

    During that time, Melvin had gone to grade school I Avon, seventh and eighth grade in Edwards, then graduating from eighth grade from the Squaw Creek School.

    The family relocated to the Los Angeles area, in the Huntington Park and Maywood neighborhoods, which then were composed of the sorts of homeless people described in the book Grapes of Wrath. Melvin divided his time between Eagle and California for several years, going to school in Eagle and then most of the 11th grade in California before quitting and getting a job.

    In Eagle, he worked primarily on ranches.

    He was 15 or 16 when he first saw his future wife, Grace while he was playing a violin at a community dance. She was two years his junior.

    They saw each other occasionally, and began attending dances together. The courtship continued after she left Eagle to take a three year nursing course in Denver.

    Returning to Eagle, they were married in 1933.

    He worked as custodian at the courthouse in 1933, then at Camp Hale at the start of World War II, followed by service with the Army Corp. in the Aleutians.

    After the war, he built homes for a while, then went to work for the Brush Creek school district, cleaning the school and driving a school bus. He continued that job with the consolidated school district in 1960, retiring in 1974 as supervisor of grounds and building maintenance.

    He was a long tome member of the Eagle fire department, and was fire chief for a year. He also served on the town board and was the town clerk.

    After retirement the couple generally spent their winters in Mesa, Ariz.

    Surviving in addition to Grace and Denny are a daughter and son-in-law, Sandy and Bob CHILDERS of Steamboat Springs; a sister-in-law; Violet EATON, of California; three grandchildren and spouses of Steamboat Springs; and many nieces and nephews.

    Funeral services were held Thursday at the Eagle Community United Methodist church; burial followed at the Sunset View Cemetery in Eagle.

    In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Eagle County Nursing Services, Box 65, Eagle, Co., 81631.

  • EATON, Melvin


    This column ran last week, but the type was scrambled, creating a curious chronology.

    Newspapers generally devote little fuss to obituaries. If they did, they would soon run out of room to print anything else. So they take the cold, clammy facts spit out by some funeral home – the date of birth, the survivors, and the general line of work the dead person had in his or her life – and assemble them into a cold, clammy and impersonal story.

    We learn about their deaths but not a lot about their lives.

    One advantage of a community newspaper, though, is that you can sometimes put together a person's life in retrospect, even if he or she wasn't well know, rich or somebody who had held a high position of authority.

    Such was my privilege this week. Melvin EATON died Monday at a nursing home in Carbondale, and the cold facts reported by the mortician indicated he had grown up on a ranch in Beaver Creek. I wanted to know more.

    I took a small risk and called his widow, Grace, who lives in Eagle.

    Sometimes families have little to say. Other times they might, but they are too shook up to say much.

    Grace was different. She could even laugh as she went on to tell me the story of her late husband's life, which was her life too. They were together 59 years.

    She could even remember the first time she saw him. She was at a dance at the old school-house up Brush Creek, south of Eagle, and he was behind the heater, playing the violin. He wasn't very good at the violin, she remembers. She also remembers that he wouldn't come out from behind the heater.

    Later, she found out why. He only had on knickers, as he couldn't afford long pants.

    He was working on local ranches at the time, even then at age 16 or 16 a very self-sufficient individual. He split his time between the Eagle area and Los Angeles, where his family had moved after his father suffered a heart attack while they lived up Squaw Creek

    Moving into a log cabin in Eagle, with a hand well outside, he watched her go across the school yard, her nose stuck way up in the air, he told her later.

    Maybe, maybe not. She watched for him at the community dances. Sometimes he had to walk, other times he borrowed his brother's horse. Finally, he asked her to a dance. These dances were sometimes held upstairs in the old theater building, where Dempsey's bar is now located.

    In 1929 she moved to Denver to take a three-year course in nursing. Working nights, she lost 10 pounds. “You don't look so good,” he told her on one of his visits before going to California. Se told her to pack her bags and go with him. She kind of wishes she had now; she loves California.

    She didn't go with him to California, thought. She was going to be a nurse. And when she was finished with her training, he went to pick her up and take her back to Eagle. But before leaving they went out to Elitch's for a dance. She still remembers how he looked: white pants, and a blue jacket. “All the nurses thought he was so handsome,” Grace remembers.

    They came back and soon after, under a full moon while parked in Glenwood Canyon, he proposed to her.

    They got married in 1933, at the low ebb of the Great Depression. Those were meager times for everybody, but especially newlyweds with a daughter on the way. She worked as a nurse, and in 1936 he got a job as a custodian at the courthouse. They raised chickens and grew whatever vegetables they needed. In late summer, Grace canned produce for 10 straight days.

    Then the war came, and Melvin went to help build Camp Hale for nine months. Afterward he joined the Army Engineers and spent a year of 12-hour days, seven-day weeks in the cold, blustery Aleutian Islands, helping fortify against Japanese attacks.

    After V-Day, he returned to Eagle and his wife and daughter. With a brother he began building houses. Illness beset him, though, and he collapsed in the basement of the home he had helped build at 135 Fourth Street in Eagle. Finally Dr. Tyler, with whom Grace delivered babies up and down the valley, sent him to an internist in Denver, who provided a cure. Altogether he was on his back for a year and a half.

    He joined the district for the Brush Creek valley, cleaning the school and driving the bus, and after consolidation of school districts in the Eagle area continued with that district from 1960 until he retired in 1974. He had a formal title; unofficially he was the guy who could fix anything.

    ”He always had a knack of coming up with a solution for anything he was doing that was the most efficient way in the world,” remembers his brother Dennie, also of Eagle, who go his name form Denver, which is where he was born. Although admitting to some spats, as brothers are wont to have, he allowed as to how Melvin had been one fine human being.

    ”He could do anything, and he did.” Remembers Grace. “He fixed our automobiles all of our married lives. We never put out a cent.”

    After retiring from the school district he worked in construction long enough to qualify for a Social Security pension. That, along with sound investment advice, which earned them up to 13.5 percent interest, allowed them to begin spending winters in Mesa, Ariz. They loved being snow birds.

    ”In their first winter Melvin bought her a three-wheel bicycle, which she rode all over Mesa. One winter they continued farther south, spending two and a half weeks in Mexico, Grace taking her bicycle along.

    Several years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Although that was not immediately debilitation, about the first of this year he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his pelvis. A few weeks later the coupled learned the cancer had spread to his longs and was growing fast.

    Grace and Dennie took care of him at home for a while before he had to go to the hospital. All agreed that they didn't want to do anything to prolong his misery. Finally they moved him to what Grace regards as a “marvelous nursing home” at Carbondale, and on Monday, their prayers were answered. He died, not in anguish, but in his sleep.

    They told this story, not with tears, although I'm sure there must have been some, but with joy.

    Melvins Eaton's life was a somewhat routine life, given the context of the time a place. He didn't make a big dent on the world. Probably few people knew him beyond Eagle. But it was more that just cold, clammy facts, don't you think? (The Vail Trail 22 May 1992)

    Return to Top


  • EBERT, Elizabeth - Mrs. Elizabeth EBERT, of Minturn, died at that town Tuesday. The cause of death was paralysis. Mrs. EBERT was 76 years of age and had lived in Minturn for many years. She leaves surviving her a husband and one son, John. Funeral services will be held at Minturn today. Mortician GRAHAM had charge of the remains.[17 June, 1909, Eagle County Blade, p1]



    A shocking accident occurred about nine o'clock Tuesday morning in the yards of the Denver & Rio Grande railroad at Minturn. Philip S. EBERT, the hostler at the round house, accidentally fell beneath an engine and received injuries from which he died a short time later.

    The particulars of the distressing accident appear to be as follows: The large locomotives of the company are turned on the turn table by compressed air furnished by themselves. These engines are so long that the pilot projects beyond the end of the turn table. While the engine was being turned, Mr. EBERT was on the ground and was in the act, with other men, of assisting the air to turn the engine by pushing on the lever with his back to the pilot, when he slipped and fell directly in the path of the pilot. He was caught and crushed between the under side of the pilot and the various tracks leading from the round house to the table.

    A special was immediately made up and the young man taken aboard with the hope of getting him to the hospital, but just after the train passed Red Cliff he died and the train returned to Minturn.

    The deceased was a single man twenty-seven years of age, a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and of the Woodmen of the World. He has practically grown up in Minturn and has been an employee of the company since a boy. He leaves an aged mother, one brother and several sister. The funeral will occur on Saturday with interment at Red Cliff. (14 Feb 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    Return to Top


  • EDGE, John A. - John EDGE Dies in California. Pioneer Stockman and Ranchman of Eagle County Passes Away Sunday Morning--Was One of Burns Hole's First Settlers.

    In the death of John A. EDGE at his home in California last Sunday morning passed another of the pioneers of Eagle county who devoted the best years of his life to carving out of a mountain wilderness the great garden spot known as Colorado.

    Locating among the earliest settlers of Burns Hole, in the northwest part of Eagle county, in 1884, going into that section before roads were built and it was a great task to get even a wagon into that county for 26 years he remained a resident on the big ranch he had acquired, and built up one of the biggest and most prosperous livestock businesses of the county.

    Honest and thrifty, respected by his neighbors, ably assisted by his wife, Mr. EDGE accumulated sufficient of this world's goods so that his declining years have been passed in peace from strife and in comfort.

    Born in England September 15, 1848, he came to the United States while a young man, first locating in Pennsylvania. In 1879 he came to Colorado, first stopping in Leadville, then in the heyday of its mining boom. A year or so later he came to Red Cliff where for several years he conducted a meat market and a livery stable. In 1881 he was married to miss Ann Kuehn, and three years later moved to Burns Hole. In 1910 he sold his large holdings there to the Benton Livestock and Land Company and retired from active business life. For two years he and his wife traveled in the United States, and visited his old home in England, on their return settling in Los Angeles, Calif. Many summers were later spent in Eagle county among his friends and old neighbors since leaving here.

    He has been in failing health for the past two years, and two weeks ago suffered a light stroke of paralysis which was not at first thought serious, but Sunday morning, February 3, death claimed him.

    He had been a member of the Masonic order since in January, 1911 when he joined Castle Lodge No. 122, A.F.& A.M. at Eagle He was laid to rest in Inglewood cemetery, at Los Angeles September 5, and the Masonic Relief Corps of Los Angeles conducted the services.

    Besides his wife, there survive to mourn his loss, two sisters, many nieces and nephews, and hundreds of friends. (8 Feb 1929 Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)


    Milo N. EDWARDS, formerly a well known business man and resident of Red Cliff, died at Glenwood Springs on last Saturday, March 14, 1908. Mr. EDWARDS has been in poor health for a number of years and his death was not unexpected. Mrs. Alice SMITHERUM, an old friend of Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS, was with him during the closing weeks of his life.

    In the early days and up to a few years ago, Mr. EDWARDS was engaged in the saw mill business in Red Cliff and was one of its most active citizens. Several years ago he closed out his interests here and removed to Glenwood Springs. Somewhat later, Mrs. EDWARDS, who also suffered ill health for several years, died at Glenwood Springs. The couple leave no family. Mr. EDWARDS was about [60] years of age at the time of his death.(19 March 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • EDWARDS, Mrs. M.N. - Mrs. M. N. EDWARDS died early Monday morning at her home in Glenwood Springs after a lingering illness. Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS were among the pioneers of Red Cliff, and resided here for many years where both have many friends. Mrs. EDWARDS was an especial favorite among all who knew her and her demise will be sincerely regretted by many friends throughout the state. Deceased was a native of New York state and was 54 years of age. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon with interment at Glenwood cemetery.(10 Mar 1904, Eagle County Blade, p.1)
    Return to Top


  • EISELE, John Stuart - John Stuart EISELE, well-known resident of Minturn, died Sunday, April 10, at the Red Cross hospital in Salida, where he had gone for medical treatment.

    Mr. EISELE was born in West Newton, Pa., May 6, 1869 and came west with his parents who were Colorado pioneers. He received his early education in the public schools of Denver. Not long after he attended the state school of mines in Golden. After this, he worked at different places, especially in Denver and Arizona, until his enlistment during the Spanish-American war, June 8, 1898, at Camp Merritt, San Francisco. He served actively in the 18th infantry in the Philippines. After the war he made an extended trip to the Dutch Guinea gold fields where he remained for two years.

    In 1915, Mr. EISELE found employment at the A. V. Smelter near Leadville. He moved to Minturn in 1918 and was employed for many years as a car inspector for the Denver & Rio Grande Western railroad company.

    In June 1926, Mr. EISELE was united in Marriage to Mrs. Mary SESSLER of Minturn. Since then he had retired as a property owner in order to regain his health. About three years ago he became water commissioner, marshal and justice of the peace, which offices he held to the time of his death.

    The body was taken to Denver and funeral services were held at the Olinger Mortuary Tuesday, April 12, with Dr. Loren EDWARDS of the Trinity Methodist church officiating. Interment was made in the Crown Hill cemetery after an impressive military ceremony. He leaves to mourn, his wife Mrs. Mary EISELE of Minturn: one son, Charles R. EISELE of Greeley; and two brothers, Wilbur and George EISELE of Edgewater and Broomfield, Colorado, respectively.[22 April 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p5]

  • EISWERTH, Anthony - Killed His Son Accidentally. Last Friday morning William EISWERTH and son Anthony, aged 15, left Basalt, going up Wheatley gulch to hunt. They separated and were each supposed to make a half circle meeting later. The boy drifted from his intended course and got in front of his father. Mr. EISWERTH seeing something moving in the brush ahead of him, believing it was some animal fired.

    The moving object was his son. The father was almost wild, but picked the boy up and carried him until exhausted. Mr. EISWERTH is a small man while his son, although but 15, is larger than he, and it was impossible for him to carry the limp figure very far. He notified a nearby ranchman, who telephoned Dr. KENNEDY at Basalt, who left immediately for the scene of the shooting. Upon arriving, which was two hours after the accident, the physician found the boy breathing his last.

    Where Mr. EISWERTH made the sad mistake was about three miles from Basalt. The accident happened at one o'clock. The father is distracted over the fatal error he made, which took from him a son.

    The remains were interned in the Basalt cemetery Sunday.-Carbondale Item.[27 De. 1912, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • ELLARD, W.D. - W. D. "Whitey" ELLARD died Jan. 6 at his Gypsum home. He was 75.

    Whitey was born Dec. 9, 1918 in Ladonia, Tex., the son of Willis and Willie (HERRINGTON) ELLARD. He was raised and educated in Texas and was the owner and operator of a restaurant there for several years. He later served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II.

    He moved to St. Paul, Minn., in 1961, where he continued in the restaurant business. He then moved to Gypsum in 1983. Whitey loved hunting and fishing. He hunted throughout Colorado with his many friends and fished in Minnesota and Canada. He was the last of eleven children. He was known for making friends wherever he went. He had a twin brother nicknamed "Blackie."

    Survivors include: his wife, Joanna; daughter and son-in-law Judy and Milam JOHNSON of Austin, Tex,; grandchildren Kimberly BRIDGES, Amy JOHNSON, and Jennifer JOHNSON, all of Austin; and also the Baker children and grandchildren.

    A memorial service was held Jan. 15 at 2 p.m. at Ellard's home in Gypsum. Memorials may be made to the W.D. WHITEY Memorial Fund, 8320 Colorado River Rd., Gypsum, CO 81637. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.(Eagle Valley Enterprise)


    D.B. Elliott has resided in Minturn for the past number of years and has made a friend of each man, woman and child who knew him by his kindly ways both in business and social life.

    He was promoted to engineer several months ago but when the set back came a short time since he was again reduced to fireman.

    He has been in business with Chas. Rush in a pool and billiard hall and ice cream parlor at Minturn for the past year besides running on the road and has made his business successful by his pleasant and courteous manner. He was strictly a home man and loving husband and father. He leaves a wife and two children a baby about six weeks old and a girl about 4 years old as well as a host of friends to mourn his untimly demise.

    Chas. Rush accompanied Mrs. Elliott and children to Salida last Monday from which place the remains were taken to his old house in Nebraska for interment, J.N. Wilson accompanied Mrs. Elliott and the children back to Nebraska.

    Mr. Elliott was a member of the Fireman lodge in which Order he was insured for $1,500.

    The Blade joins with a host of friends in extending to the widow and children of these men their heartfelt sympathy.
    Obituary includes photo - Eagle County Blade, Oct. 6, 1910, p.1 - Contributed by Pat McArthur

    Printed with "A Terrible Accident" concerning explosion which killed D.B. Elliott and Chas. Draper.

  • ELLIOTT, Jack - Jack ELLIOTT, 79, of Rifle died Wednesday, Nov 22, at the VA Nursing Home in Rifle.

    Mr. Elliott was born Jan. 18, 1916 to Joseph Patrick and Elsie (DALEE) ELLIOTT in Red Cliff, where he grew up and attended school. He was the great-grandson of the first settlers of Eagle County, who founded the town of Red Cliff. He was in the Army during World War II, from March 1941 to February 1943. He married Dolly WEBB on Feb. 2, 1943, in St. Louis, Mo. He moved to Rifle in 1959 and in the 1960s he was mayor of Rifle and a justice of the peace and deputy sheriff in Eagle County. He also worked as a miner.

    He was a member of the Masonic Lodge in Minturn. He also was the founder and president of the Battle Mountain Home Stake Historic Preservation District. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and mining, and was a timber man who enjoyed the mountains.

    Mr. Elliott is survived by sons and daughters-in-law Monnie ELLIOTT of Denver and Esther and Pat RAYMOND of Salt Lake City, Utah; and 10 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, Dolly ELLIOTT.

    A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Rifle Masonic Lodge. Cremation has taken place. A second memorial service is planned in Red Cliff at a late date. Funeral arrangements were handled by Sowder Funeral Home in Rifle. (Vail Daily 24 Nov 1995)

  • ELLIOTT, Joseph P. - Killed in Mine Explosion at Rifle. Joe ELLIOTT of Red Cliff Meets Tragic End in U. S. Vanadium Mine--Charges Explodes Prematurely Saturday Morning.

    Jospeh P. ELLIOTT, miner whose home was in Red Cliff, was killed in an explosion in the U. S. Vanadium mine northwest of Rifle last Saturday morning, April 28, shortly after midnight. Joe was alone in the mine when the explosion occurred. He was running the machine drill, and had completed loading his round of 29 holes, and had spitted more than half of them when a premature explosion, presumably from a defective fuse, caused the tragedy.

    When fellow workmen arrived on the scene a few minutes after the explosion his mangled body, life entirely extinct, was found about fifteen feet from the breast of the tunnel, where it had been hurled by the force of the explosion.

    Joe ELLIOTT lived most of his life at Red Cliff and Leadville, and grew up in the mines. He was an exceptionally good miner, careful and thorough in his work. He was universally respected and beloved by a great number of friends, and his untimely and tragic death is a great shock to them.

    A number of years ago he was united in marriage to Miss Elsie DaLEE, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth DaLEE and a niece of the late Dora GRIENER, county superintendent of Eagle county. To this union were born four sons, Lee, Jack, George, and Robert and one daughter, Babe, who, with the widow survive to mourn the loss of a beloved husband and father.

    Other near relatives surviving are: an aged mother, living in Denver; three brothers, Will, of Leadville; Emmett, of Denver; Charles, of California; two sisters, Mrs. Jennie BOHEN, LIVING IN Oregon; Miss Ann ELLIOTT, of Denver.

    Those attending the funeral from abroad were Mrs. Earl MARTS, a sister of the widow, of Chapman, Kan.; Mrs. BOHEN and daughter , Mrs. Paul BRINGHAM; Will ELLIOTT and Lawrence ELLIOTT of Leadville.

    Funeral services were held from the Catholic church in Red Cliff, Thursday morning, May 3, at 10 o'clock, the Rev. J. P. CARRIGAN of Glenwood Springs having charge of the services. The body was followed to the last resting place in Evergreen cemetery in Red Cliff by a large following of sorrowing friends and relatives.

    The deceased had planned to quit the mining job and go to work in the timber this week, having handed in his resignation to take effect May 5, when tragedy overtook him. His wife and young children have the heartfelt sympathy of friends in this great tragedy of their lives. Joe ELLIOTT was a man above the average. At the top of his profession, known in mining camps all over Colorado as one of the best miners in the state; an industrious man, loyal citizen, devoted to his family, his loss is a great one to the community.[4 May 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • EMEHISER, Winifred - Winifred EMEHISER, daughter of Eugene EMEHISER and niece of Mrs. F. L. DOLL, of Gypsum, died on December 26, of pneumonia, super-induced by influenza. She was in her twenty-second year, having been born at Leadville, Colo., June 13, 1897. The body was taken to Red Cliff and prepared for burial and shipment at the undertaking rooms of A. F. GRAHAM, and then taken to Telluride for interment, by her mother Mrs. Geo. WIRTH.[3 Jan. 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]
    Return to Top


  • ENCINIAS, Pablo - Member of Swimming Party of Railroad Laborers Loses Life in River Saturday---Body is Not Recovered. While bathing in the Colorado river near State Bridge last Saturday evening, Pablo ENCINIAS, a Mexican section had employed by the D. & S. L. railroad lost his life in an attempt to swim across the river and back.

    ENCINIAS, with a number of companions, was bathing in the river, when he expressed the intention of swimming to the opposite bank of the river and return. He was a good swimmer and easily made the trip across against the strong current of the river. But on the return he hit a whirlpool near the middle of the stream. He was immediately sucked beneath the water and was not again seen by his companions. A search of the river failed to recover the body.

    The dead man's home was in Trementina, N. M., and his parents were notified of the tragedy by Sheriff WILSON, who left for the scene of the accident on receipt of the news, to make an effort to recover the body.[22 July 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • ENGLISH, Louis Henley and Elliott Cooper - Two Children Drown.

    The saddest tragedy was the loss of the lives of Louis HENLEY, 6, and Elliott COOPER, 4, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Harley ENGLISH, of Watts; when the car which their father was driving plunged into the Eagle river near their home and the two children were drowned, and the body of Louis carried away by the flood and lost.

    Mr. English and his family five in a cabin at Watts switch, and works at Gilman. Monday afternoon he started to go to Minturn, taking the two younger children with him in the car. After crossing the railroad tracks, which are between his home and the river, is the old highway bridge, just a short distance above the mouth of Gore creek. For some reason English missed the bridge and drove straight into the river. The car was an old Nash, and it is said that the drag link in the steering apparatus broke, making it impossible to guide the car.

    ENGLISH and Louis were thrown from the car into the river, which was at flood stage. The father made several efforts to rescue the children, but the swift water rolled the car over against him two or three times, injuring him and thwarting his efforts. While he was injured he was able to get out of the river and summon aid. The body of Elliott was still in the car when it was raided out of the river. The other body disappeared in the flood and had not been recovered yet Wednesday, at our last report.

    Funeral services for Louis and memorial services for Elliott were held at Minturn yesterday afternoon with Rev. T. B. McDIVITT of Eagle in charge.[8 May 1936, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]


    From the Eagle Valley Enterprise

    Simon ENGSTROM, a pioneer of Eagle county, died at Gypsum last Wednesday, November 14the. Deceased was born in Finland, June 20the, 1818, and for the past twenty years has resided at Gypsum. He leaves a daughter living in Germany.

    Mr. ENGSTROM made his home at the time of his death with Henry HENDERSON and was dearly loved by all who knew him, for despite the fact that he had reached the age of 88 years, he never lost the cheerful smile from his face or forgot to speak a kind word to all he met.

    He was laid to rest in the Gypsum cemetery yesterday, Rev. F. H. ROSE conducting the funeral services.(22 Nov 1906, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

  • ENNEN, H. W. - News of the death of H. W. ENNEN at Glenwood Springs, Monday evening, May 31st, was received in Eagle Tuesday. Mr. ENNEN was well known here, having been interested in the Lucy mine at Fulford. The daily Avalanche gives the following account of his death.

    Death ended the suffering of H. W. ENNEN about half past five yesterday evening. About ten days ago he was attacked by pneumonia which soon developed typhoid symptoms and death resulted. Mr. ENNEN was so old citizen of Glenwood, coming here from his birthplace, Terre Haute, Indiana, nineteen years ago . Soon after locating here he married Miss Lena SYSE , who with two children, survives him. About that time he engaged in the business he followed until his death, conducting a restaurant. At the time of his death he owned and conducted the Delmonico on River Front street.

    His nature was very optimistic; he always saw a bright side to everything. His faith in Glenwood Springs never faltered for an instant and he was always expecting and predicting a great future for our city. His friends were all who know him. He was a little past fifty years of age at the time of his death.

    His funeral will be from the Episcopal church at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. George E. WHARTON will have charge of the ceremonies at the church. The burial will be conducted by the I.O.O.F., of which he was a member. The interment will be in Rosebud cemetery.[4 June 1909, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • EPPERSON, Donald 56

    Daily Staff Report

    May 31, 2000

    GYPSUM - Donald Terry Epperson died Monday at his home in Gypsum at the age of 56. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Friday, June 2, at Gypsum Community United Methodist Church with visitation preceeding at 1:30. Pastor Keith Hudiburgh will officiate.

    Epperson enjoyed hunting, fishing and watching Rockies baseball on TV. He was a member of the National Rifle Association, Amateur Trap Shooting Association and the Eagle Valley Trap Club. He was inducted into the Amateurs Trap Shooting Association Hall of Fame in 1998.

    He is preceded in death by his son Russell Epperson in 1983 and father, Orie Epperson, in 1991. He is survived by his mother, Margie Epperson, of Gypsum; sons James (and Joy) and Tyler Epperson of Gypsum; brother Darrel (and Jeannie) Epperson of Canon City; stepbrother Larry (and Velma) Epperson of Council Bluffs, Iowa; brother Ralph (and Pam) Epperson of Arvada; and stepsister Dolores (and Bill) Radebaugh of Grand Junction.

    Memorial contributions can be made to the Eagle Valley Trap Club, P.O. Box 319, Gypsum, CO 81637.


  • ESTES, Ronald Dale - Ronald Dale ESTES passed away on Oct. 23, quietly, just as he lived. He was born on Nov. 8, 1929, at his grandparent's home in Springfield, Colo. to Laban and Evelyn BINDLEY ESTES. Laban and Evelyn moved to "Uncle Jack" BINDLEY'S farm on upper Brush creek when Ron was a young child.

    Ron started school in the one room school house at the fork of upper Brush Creek Road. He also began to develop his love and respect for the area and its wildlife at this time of his life, particularly the Bighorn Sheep that claimed the road as their yearly butting ground. Ron would have to cross the creek and wade through deep snow on his way to and from school each day the sheep were at "play". Ron also attended grade school in Eagle and later in Gypsum. He graduated from Eagle County High School in Gypsum in 1947 where he enjoyed playing football and basketball. After high school, Ron attended Colorado A & M for one year, and then served in the U. S. Army for 2 years in an engineering battalion during the Korean War.

    After his stint in the Army, Ron returned to Gypsum to help with the family business, the ESTES Texaco and the ESTES Motel that he and his father had build while Ron was in high school. Ron was managing the Texaco station when he married Billie-Jean CALHOUN on Nov. 7, 1954. Ron continued to run the station for 35 years until his retirement.

    In his younger years, Ron and his friends had many adventures in the area while fishing and hunting, which he continued to enjoy throughout his life. Ron grew up living and working on many of the farms in the area and loved helping on the family farm with his son as long as he was able. Ron's lifetime spanned the best times of the valley.

    Ron was a member of the American Legion and served on the Gypsum Town Council for a number of years. Ron is survived by his wife, Billie-Jean, of Gypsum; his three sons, Randy of John Day, Ore., and Chris and Rusty of Gypsum; one grandson; and many friends. He will be sadly missed by all.[30 Oct. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

    Return to Top


  • ETHEL, Roberta - The community was made very sad Monday morning when the news was spread announcing the death of Roberta, daughter of County Judge and Mrs. A. K. ETHEL at a hospital in Salida.

    For nearly two months the dear child has laid in the hospital making as brave a fight for life as could be made, but Monday evening, February 8, 1932, at 10:30 o'clock the spark of life to which she had been clinging so tenaciously for so long went out and the fight was lost.

    Born in Eagle January 27, 1920, Roberta has spent her entire life here attending the local schools, taking her part in all the activities of the community in which the younger girls participated. She was of a sunny active and lovable disposition, and her friends were legion.

    Roberta was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. ETHEL, and her loss is extremely hard on them, and the community feel strongly with them in their great bereavement.

    The body was brought to Eagle Tuesday night and funeral services in charge of Rev. A. R. STOCKINGER, were held from the family residence in Eagle Wednesday afternoon, attended by a large concourse of friends of the loved girl, all business houses and the schools being closed during the funeral hour. Interment was made in Cedar Hill cemetery at Gypsum directly following the services here.[12 Feb. 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • EVANS, David - Word comes to Eagle county of the death of Dave EVANS, another of the pioneers of the county, at his home in Sweet, Idaho, on March 22. Dave EVANS spent most of his life on Battle mountain and Gore creek. For many years he lived on a ranch on the latter creek near Minturn, until 1919, when he sold his holdings here and moved to Idaho. He has living in this county a brother, Ora EVANS, on Piney, and a sister, Mrs. Thos. COLLINS, at Red Cliff.

    Many Friends of the deceased in the county will regret his passing.[4 Apr. 1924, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • EVANS, Orens C. - Another old timer of Eagle county has crossed the Great Divide - O. C. EVANS, well known in the McCoy district, passed away at the Porter hospital in Glenwood Springs on Saturday, November 5, 1938.

    Mr. EVANS was born on December 24, 1852, in Fulton, Calloway county, Missouri. When still a youth he crossed the plans by ox-cart with his parents Dr. and Mrs. T. N. EVANS, coming to Denver, and later moving to Monument, Colo. In 1878, he came with the family to Red Cliff and has since made his home continuously in Eagle county. He took up a homestead in the McCoy district in late years and [frork ____________trict] in later years, and for the past nine years has made his home at the Clyde SCHLEGEL ranch on Castle creek, near McCoy.

    Ora was an out door man, and spent many of his active years as a trapper, and for several years in the eighties lived in a cabin on Eby creek near Eagle and trapped for a living. The Piney creek country was a favorite stomping ground of Mr. EVANS, and until a very few years ago there remained a good cabin near the month of Bear gulch built by him nearly fifty years ago. The editor of the Enterprise has spent many a day on the tail with Ora with both rod and gun, and never a better camp companion lived than he.

    Of robust health until about two years ago, when a foot injury crippled him, and has caused him a great deal of suffering. Five weeks ago he was taken to the hospital at Glenwood for treatment, but his advance age made his recovery slow. Last week a turn for the worse indicated the amputation which the doctors had thought could possibly prolong and save his life, could not be performed, and he passed away on Saturday morning.

    His sister, Mrs. Fannie COLLINS, and niece, Mrs. Ethel BAYER, were with him at the end.

    Funeral services were in charge of the Farnum Mortuary, form its chapel in Glenwood. Interment was made at the Rosebud cemetery in Glenwood Springs. Rev. Mr. MASON of the Presbyterian church read the service.

    Return to Top

    EVANS, Sarah - On the afternoon of Friday, November 27th, Sarah EVANS passed from this life. In her death Red Cliff loses one of its oldest and most respected citizens. She was a faithful wife, a loving mother, and a kind and charitable neighbor. Mrs. EVANS was born in Boone county, Missouri, coming to Colorado twenty nine years ago. She had reached the ripe age of 76 years. She leaves surviving her four children, Mr. William LAW, of Red Cliff, David EVANS of Gilman, Oren C. EVANS and Robert E. EVANS of McCoy.

    Funeral services were held at the Congregational church on Sunday afternoon. Rev. GRIM, of Leadville, officiating, assisted by the choir. There were many beautiful floral offerings and the church was filled with sorrowing relatives and friends. The interment took place at Greenwood cemetery.(3 December 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    Return to Top

    EVANS, Thomas N. - Dr. T. N. EVANS died at the hospital at Glenwood Springs this morning. The deceased had been in failing health for about a year and last week was removed to the hospital in the hope of prolonging his life, but during the last few days he declined rapidly and a telegram received this morning announces his demise.

    Thomas N. EVANS was one of the pioneers of Eagle County and of the state of Colorado and was well known through out this section. He was county surveyor of Eagle county at the time of his death. The Blade has not space at this late hour for an extended obituary notice, but one will appear in the following issue. It is presumed that the funeral and interment will occur at Red Cliff, though no arrangements have been made at this writing. (26 Jan 1899 - Eagle County Blade, p.3)

    Thomas N. EVANS was born in Calloway County, Missouri on December 21, 1831, died at Glenwood Springs, Colorado , January 26, 1899.

    As announced in The Blade last week Dr. EVANS, as he was generally known, has finished life's coarse and departed a scene which was with him one of great activity. Bright's disease was the immediate cause of his demise.

    The deceased was a typical man of the West and possessed many characteristics which go to make up the thorough frontiersman. When a boy in 1849, Thomas N. EVANS left his home in Missouri and set out to the gold excitement in California to seek his fortune. He went overland and experienced all the hardships and privations incident to that journey. He remained in California several years, when he returned to Missouri and married and undertook to settle down. But the Pike's peak excitement aroused his venturesome spirit and in 1861 he bade good bye to his young wife and set out again across the plains to seek his fortune in the newly discovered gold fields of the Rocky mountains. On this occasion he was absent two or three years when he returned to Missouri and in 1867, with his family, again came to Colorado. At this time he located at Georgetown.

    Dr. EVANS was one of the first settlers of Red Cliff, arriving here in the fall of 1879. The family came on the next spring. In making the several trips across the plains and during the years spent on the frontier, the deceased met with many adventures and passed through many experiences that try the nerve and fortitude of man. While a peaceable and law abiding citizen, he was never known to shirk a duty no matter how great the personal risk involved. He was a dead shot and an expert hunter. During the early days of Red Cliff, when the camp was a typical tough town of the frontier, Thomas N. EVANS was city marshal and administered that office without fear or favor. He is credited with having gone out alone and disarmed and arrested Perry, the murderer, who was later lynched by the infuriated citizens of Battle mountain.

    The deceased was a civil engineer and practiced that profession to some extent, and had been for several successive terms county surveyor of Eagle county.

    When in middle life he took up the practice of medicine, and while never having taken a modern course in the science, he acquired considerable skill as a physician and in some branches of the practice was very successful.

    Dr. Evan's was generous to a fault, and beneath his rough exterior beat a heart that was extremely kind. He was so constituted that he could not ignore a call from the sick and he frequently left a comfortable fireside to face the bleakest weather in response to calls from those in distress, knowing at the time that the chances of pecuniary reward were very doubtful.

    To err is human, and this gray hair'd pioneer who blazed many a trail for a succeeding generation to follow, had his. But he never intentionally did injury to a fellow - he could receive injury and forget it almost instantly.

    The funeral was held on Saturday at the Congregational church in Red Cliff. Pastor N. H. HAWKINS delivering the address. The weather was exceedingly rough, which prevented a large attendance. Mrs. EVANS, three sons and a daughter survive, the deceased. Also a half brother in Missouri. (2 Feb 1899 The Eagle County Blade, p. 3)

    Return to Top

    EVANS, William H. - William H. EVANS died at his home in Leadville at noon Monday, December 4, 1899. Mr. EVANS had been ill about a week, the fatal decease being pneumonia. Sunday a week before his death he returned from a visit to his aged parents at Huntley, Illinois. He was about his affairs the next day, Monday, although not feeling well. Monday night he took to his bed from which he never arose in life.

    William H. EVANS was a member of the firm of FLEMING & EVANS of Red Cliff and of the Leadville Hardware company of Leadville. Of recent years he had resided in Leadville. He was prominent in the affairs of this county and town during his residence here. He had served as county commissioner and as mayor of Red Cliff, and was always on the progressive and public spirited side of every undertaking. With John F. FLEMING, deceased established a mercantile business in Red Cliff in 1885, and the firm has continued in business ever since.

    The funeral was held at Leadville on Wednesday with interment at Evergreen cemetery. The Masonic order conducted the service, assisted by Rev. J. H. FRANKLIN. A large number from Red Cliff attended, and the funeral was one of the largest seen in Leadville.

    Mr. EVANS was 41 years of age and in his death the community has lost a valuable citizen. He is survived by his wife but no children, and by his aged parents in Illinois.(7 Dec 1899, Eagle County Blade, p. 3)

    EVANS, William H.

    This article was found in the 9 December 1999 Leadville Herald Democrat

    100 Years Ago (Taken from The HeraldDemocrat)

    Died of Pneumonia

    After an illness of less than a week William H. Evans, president of the Leadville Hardware company, died at his residence at noon yesterday. Mr. Evans had been in robust health up to the time of his last illness, and Dr. Ballin, the attending physician, entertained strong hopes of his recovery. The disease, however, rapidly developed into a most serious type and in spite of every effort to rally the patient, on Sunday he began to sink, and passed away quietly at noon yesterday.

    The deceased was born Oct. 27, 1858, at Huntley, Illinois, and came to Leadville in 1880. He was not well blessed with this world's goods, but had ambition, perseverance, pluck and the qualifications essential to the good business man. He entered the hardware store of Charles Boettcher, and some years later went to Red Cliff with John Fleming, where they established a hardware store, and in four years Evans had accumulated a fortune. Some years ago Mr. Evans, Mr. Fleming, J.E. Foutz and Charles Boettcher established the Leadville Hardware company, of which the deceased was president. The business has been a very successful one, Messrs. Foutz and Evans looking after the firm's interests here.

    A quiet, unassuming man, he devoted a large share of his time to his business, but made many friends by his "liberality and kind heartedness.

    Return to Top

    EVERETT, Hilda EVERETT, Albert & Hilda - daughter and son of Mr. and Mrs. Harve EVERETT, of Avon, ISABELL, Mrs. G. D., son and daughter, wife and children of the lettuce grower of Minturn and Pando, PERSHBACKER, Mrs. Burleson, of Avon, RATHBUN, Mrs. H. C. Avon. - The tragedy of Sunday's Rio Grande wreck struck home sadly on local people. Seven of our neighbors and friends meeting death in this horrible affair.

    Mr. and Mrs. Harve EVERETT had put their two eldest children aboard the train at Minturn to go to Canon City where they have been attending school the past few years. Albert the son was killed outright, while Hilda was so badly injured that she died Monday evening in the hospital at Salida. The EVERETTS have been residents of the county for over a quarter of a century, living on a ranch near Avon most of that time. They were married in Eagle county and their three children were all born and raised here. The wreck leaves this family but one child, a daughter, about ten years old, who had remained at home with her parents.

    The funeral of the two EVERETT children was held at Canon City yesterday, Thursday, morning at 10 o'clock.

    Mrs. ISABELL had been at the Pando ranch with her husband, and she and the children had boarded the train that morning, also going to Canon City, where they make their winter home, for the opening of school this week. The death of these three wipes out Mr. ISABELL'S FAMILY.

    Mrs. PERSHBACKER and Mrs. RATHBUN were young women, recently married. The former, 18 years old, having been married about two weeks ago, and the latter, 22 year old, having been married but six months ago. Their husband's have been engaged in the lettuce industry at Avon, and Sunday the men traveled in their cars to Buena Vista while the women started for the same place by train, al intending to attend a lettuce growers' celebration at that place.

    Mrs. RATHBUN'S death was particularly horrible and painful. She was wedged in the wreckage so that a physician had to amputate both her legs to get her body from the car. She was alive and conscious when removed, but died a few minutes later. Mrs. PERSHBACKER'S head was crushed and death was probably instant.[10 Sept. 1926, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top

    EWING, Dean Ray 1921 – 1993

    Dean Ray EWING, former Eagle Valley High School vocational teacher from 1946 to 1963 and a long-time educator who was instrumental in developing The Golden Key School, died Jan. 2 at his Canon City home. He was 71.

    Mr. EWING was born March 11, 1921 in Sedgwick, Colo., to Howard Otis and Ruby (VERNON) EWING. He moved to Canon City in 1963 as Supervisor of Vocational Education for the Colorado Department of Corrections. He retired in 1977 at age 56. He served as a Captain in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1946, spending time in the Pacific theater in the Philippines and an assignment in Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped in Japan.

    He married Lynda Lee (CLARK) on Aug. 24, 1947 in Fowler, Colo.

    He had been a member of the Methodist Church since 1964 and was active in the Lions Club, Which he served as president in both Gypsum and Canon City. During his time in Eagle County, Mr. EWING was a baseball coach in Gypsum, where he built the town's baseball field,. He enjoyed following the sports accomplishments of his children, and during his retirement he enjoyed boating and built his own 25-ft. boat. He loved playing with his grandchildren, fishing, gardening, and photography.

    Survivors include; his wife, Lynda Lee (CLARK); son David EWING of Denver; Glen (Janet) EWING of Eagle; and Paul EWING of Colorado Springs; grandchildren Leslie EWING of Lakewood; Todd, Joan, James and Jill EWING of Eagle; and Brooke and Robin EWING of Lakewood; sister Velma LARSEN of Eagle; and Ester (Jim) BIRRELL of Denver; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by son Lynn Dale EWING in 1951, brother Vernon EWING, and his parents.

    Funeral services were held Jan. 5 at 2 p.m. at First Christian Church in Canon City; burial followed with full military honors at Lakeside Cemetery.

    Friends may send contributions to the First Christian Church Memorial Fund, 806 Macon St., Canon City, CO 81212, or to the St. Thomas More Hospice c/o of the Holt Family Funeral Home in Canon City. (Eagle Valley Enterprise [no date noted]

    Return to Top

    Return to Eagle County Main page

    Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb