HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:07 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Click on the name below to jump to the location on this page.

FA * FE * FI * FL * FO * FR * FU *


  • FAIRCHILD, Amy Sue

    Girl's car falls off side of Battle Mountain Pass

    By Elizabeth Mattern - Daily Staff Writer

    RED CLIFF - A 17-year-old Leadville resident is dead after driving her car off a notorious 700-foot embankment at Battle Mountain Pass near Red Cliff early Monday morning.

    Witnesses in the car behind Amy Sue Fairchild saw her vehicle weaving on U.S. Highway 24 as she drove from Leadville toward Minturn at 2:30 a.m., police said. When she reached a part of the highway that veers right, just north of the higher entrance to Red Cliff, she put on her left turn signal and turned her car off the cliff, according to Sgt. Ron Prater of the Colorado State Patrol.

    "It seems she intentionally went that direction," Prater said. "From the preliminary investigation, we feel that alcohol was a factor."

    Fairchild was not speeding, Prater said. She was wearing her seat belt and remained in the vehicle as it rolled numerous times and fell into the canyon, landing on the railroad tracks. She was found dead from the impact. Emergency crews reached her via the railroad and extracted her from the car.

    Fairchild had been working at her job at Leadville's Safeway before the accident, Prater said.

    Witnesses in the car behind Fairchild tried to call 911 from their cellular phone but could not get service, Prater said, so they flagged down another motorist who drove north until her phone worked.

    "The witnesses stopped, backed up, got out of the vehicle, and they could still hear the car crashing down the mountainside," Prater said.

    There was no evidence that any car had hit Fairchild's vehicle before she headed off the cliff, he said. The point where her car left the highway is a widened shoulder area just 15 feet from the spot where a guard rail begins.

    "Who knows - if she was intoxicated, she might have thought she was pulling into her driveway," Prater said.

    To Red Cliff Assistant Town Clerk Bob Slagle, Monday's accident sounds too familiar.

    Included in recent Highway 24 fatalities near the same spot on Battle Mountain was Gabriel Medina, 17, of Leadville, who died Jan. 4 while on his way to work in Vail. His vehicle plunged more than 200 feet from the snowy lanes of the highway to the bottom of the canyon.

    After Medina's death, there were several suggestions from our residents that we start pushing to get guard rails on Battle Mountain so we'd stop losing our citizens," Slagle said.

    Medina's family also petitioned the Colorado Department of Transportation to install more guard rails on the highway after his fatal accident.

    We have scoped some money for guard rails on Highway 24 between Minturn and Leadville," said Jim Nall, traffic and safety engineer for CDOT. "We're currently putting together some plans. These plans, of course, take a little while, but we're trying to get the project out to bid as soon as possible."

    CDOT is holding a meeting July 7 organized by the Lake County Commissioners to gather public comment from Leadville citizens on the upcoming highway improvement project, which could also include widening and installation of passing lanes. The gathering will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Mining Museum in Leadville.ict assisted the CSP in the response effort, which lasted several hours.

    The Vail Daily, 29 June 1999

    From the Leadville Herald Democrate, 8 July 1999.

    Amy Sue Fairchild was just 17 when she died in an auto accident on June 28 near Redcliff.

    Born on Nov. 25, 1981 in Denver to Peggy Rowe and Terry Fairchild weighing only 1 lb. 13 oz, she started her life as a fighter.

    Even though she was so tiny, it never stopped her from joining all activities. She would have been a junior at Lake County High School this fall. She loved playing T-ball and taking part in Girl Scouts and dance class. As she grew, she enjoyed playing softball in the summer and basketball in the winter. Amy loved cruising in her mother's car with her cousins, who will miss her everyday.

    She was a member of the Catholic Community and was an altar girl.

    She was preceded in death by two grandmothers, Helen Rowe and Pat Hardy and her aunt, Bonnie Fairchild. She is survived by her parents, Peggy Rowe, Leadville, and Terry Fairchild, Grand Junction; grandfather John Rowe, Canon City; grandparents Benny and Janis Fairchild, Grand Junction; greatgrandmother Mahamalea Fairchild, Salida; seven aunts, Theresa (Jeff) Rutkey, Leadville; Anna (David) Fear, Canon City; Shona (Wes) Thomas, Grand Junction; Maggie (Dan) Foster, W. Va.; Pam (Randy) Nygren, Gypsum; Susan (Jerry) Kissel, Ariz. and Sherry Hardy, Phoenix; and four uncles, George Rowe, Eagle Vail; Bob Rowe, Kansas; John (Brenda) Rowe, Mo.; and Billie Hardy, Phoenix.

    She is also survived by many cousins, great aunts and great uncles.

    Amy had a very special relationship with her great aunt Dot Marble, Salida. Amy loved her like a grandmother.

    The Rosary was recited July 1 and Mass of Christian Burial July 2, both at Annunciation Catholic Church. Father Tom Killeen officiated and Patti Smith sang accompanied by Jean Elliott.

    Pallbearers were George and Robert Rowe, Jeff Rutkey, David Fear, John Rowe, Jr. and John Lacey. Honorary pallbearers were Jerry and Stephen Rutkey, John Fear and David Fear, Jr., Jason Cerise and Jared O'Leary. Interment was in St. Joseph cemetery.

    The family received friends at a reception at La Cantina Restaurant.

    Arrangements were handled by Bailey Funeral Home.

    Those wishing may make memorial contributions to the Amy Sue Fairchild Memorial Fund c/o First Mountain Bank, 403 Harrison Ave. Leadville, CO 80461.


  • FEAR, Joe H. 1904-1995

    Joe H. FEAR died Nov. 12 at St. Vincent Hospital in Leadville. He was 91.

    Mr. Fear was born April 1, 1904 in Salida to Martin and Anna (GORSHE) FEAR, one of 10 children, most of whom preceded him in death.

    He met and married Johanna KOLENC in 1927 in Leadville, where Joe worked in the town's smelter operation. They moved a year later to Red Cliff, where Joe worked at the Gilman mine for the next 27 years.

    He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church and belonged to the KSKJ. He loved cars and doing jigsaw puzzles.

    He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Johanna, who died in 1972, son Lawrence, daughter Johanna, and grandson Michael BECK and a great grandson, Jimmy ROWEN.

    Survivors include: son Joe (Patricia) FEAR of Denver; daughters Angela (Buster) BECK of Red Cliff, Gloria HENNEN of Roanoke, Tex, and Christine FEAR of Dallas; his dear friend Julia BOURMAN; brother Henry (Pauline) FEAR of Salida; sisters Lillian WOLFE of Denver, Olga PROPNICK of Bloomington, Calif.; and numerous grandchildren, great grandchildren and one great-great grandchild.

    A memorial Rosary and Mass was held Nov. 16 at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Leadville, where the Father Tom KILLEN officiated and Joan DAWSON sang, accompanied by Neil V. REYNOLDS.

    Joe's ashes have been interred next to the grave of his wife at St. Joseph Cemetery.

    Memorial contributions may be made to St. Vincent General Hospital in Leadville or to a charity of choice. Arrangements were by Bailey Funeral Home in Leadville. (unknown paper)

  • FEDER, Harold - Denver lawyer, professor. Harold A. FEDER, a prominent Denver lawyer, loved a challenge.

    "He loved to take the hard cases," said a colleague. Stephen SCHUYLER. "He would take cases that others wouldn't take."

    Mr. FEDER died Oct. 25 at St. Anthony Hospital after he was injured in a car crash. He was 63.

    There were no services, at his request, although a tribute is being planned. His body was cremated.

    Born Aug. 22, 1932, in Denver, he graduated from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1954.

    He married Flora Sue DUNN in June 1954 in Kansas City, Mo.

    The same year, Mr. FEDER joined the Navy. He served on the USS Wasp for two years. It was the last years of the Korean War.

    He served in Naval Reserve until 1963, attaining the rank of lieutenant.

    Mr. FEDER earned his law degree from the University of Colorado in 1968, then followed his father's footsteps in joining the Denver law firm of FEDER, MORRIS, TAMBLYN and GOLDSTEIN.

    Mr. FEDER specialized in civil litigation and became an expert on law firm management.

    "He was one of the first to use paralegal," SCHUYLER said. "He liked to be innovative and on the cutting edge of things."

    He was also known for his work in the community.

    "He was a person who was incredibly generous with his time with others, " SCHUYLER. "He always had time for charities."

    He retired as senior partner last year but continued to work occasionally.

    Mr. FEDER was an adjunct professor at the University of Denver School of Law, an instructor at the Adult Education Opportunity School of Denver and a frequent lecturer and seminar participant with the University of Colorado Law School.

    He wrote articles for numerous legal publications. He also wrote a textbook, Succeeding as an Expert Witness--Increasing Your Impact and Income, published in 1991.

    Mr. FEDER served as president of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association from 1971 to 1972, a fellow of the International Society of Barristers, a fellow of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, and a fellow of the College of Law Practice Management.

    He was president of the Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders Association, Rocky Mountain Chapter from 1990 to 1992.

    Mr. FEDER IS SURVIVED BY HIS WIFE, Flora Sue FEDER of Eagle, one son, Harlan FEDER of Glenwood Springs, two daughters, Sharon FEDER and Janet FEDER, both of Denver and two grandsons.

    Contributions may be sent to: H. A. FEDER Fund, The Alzheimer's Association, Rocky Mountain Chapter, 825 Speer Blvd., Suite 1, Denver 80218.[31 Oct. 1995, Rocky Mountain. News, p45A]

  • FERNANDEZ, Art - Intoxicated Auto Driver Loses Life on Battle Mountain. Drives Car Off Road and Plunges More Than 1000 Feet in Bottom of Canon--Lives For Several Hours After Fatal Plunge--Funeral Held In Minturn Tuesday.

    Art FERNANDEZ, 24 a Mexican employed by the Rio Grande railroad at Minturn, died Monday morning in the hospital in Gilman Monday morning from injuries received when he drove his car, a Dodge coupe off the road one and one-half miles west of Gilman on the Battle Mountain road Sunday afternoon, at about 2 o'clock. The accident occurred near the point where George GRAVESTOCK lost his life about a year ago.

    The car plunged down the precipitous side of the canon 1600 feet, but FERNANDEZ was thrown out about 300 feet from the road; where he was discovered by George DaLEE. The man was unconscious. DaLEE noticed the car tracks leading abruptly over the cliff, and looking down saw the man lying near a clump of trees. In its last leap, the automobile went over a sheer drop of 200 feet and nothing was left but a pile of scraps.

    FERNANDEZ is survived by a father and two sisters living at Minturn. The body was turned over to Mortician O. W. MEYER of Red Cliff who prepared it for burial, services being held at Minturn Tuesday afternoon.

    People who saw FERNANDEZ just before he left Minturn shortly after noon Sunday state that he was in an advanced stage of intoxication.[17, April 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • FESSLER, J. H. - The sad news of the death of J. H. FESSLER reached us this morning and it brought sorrow to the hearts of many of us.

    J. H. FESSLER died at his home in Denver Wednesday evening of cancer of the threat, from which he had been suffering some time. Mr. FESSLER was interested in the banks at Red Cliff, Eagle and Glenwood Springs, and was president of the First National Banks at Eagle and Glenwood. He was a member of the Masonic lodge, the Chapter and the Commandery, and lived up to the divine temeta and teaching of these orders and guided his conduct to mankind by the emblems of his profession and the business he was in never transformed his heart into a lump of gold for he saw the human side of all business transactions. This Grand Master of the Temple shall examine his work and find it well done, but we shall miss you, Jack, may the flowers grow brightly above Thee.[18 Aug. 1916, Eagle [18 Aug. 1916, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • FIELDS, Lillie Jean 1930-1995

    Lillie Jean FIELD, former Eagle resident, died May 16 at Community Hospital in Grand Junction following an extended illness. She was 64. Services were held May 18 at Martin Mortuary with Pastor Larry CREEL officiating. Burial was a Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Grand Junction.

    She was born Sept. 20, 1930 in Eagle to John D. YORK and Lillie Ellen PINKERTON. She spent her childhood in Muskogee and Tahlequah, Okla., and later attended Eagle High School.

    She was a homemaker and during her 15 years in Eagle, was also known as a gook cook who worked in various local restaurants. She married Harold HELMS and later, Gary FIELDS. She had lived in Grand Junction since 1990 and also resided in Anchorage, Alaska and Astoria, Ore.

    She enjoyed football, hand-making dolls for Eskimo orphans and had a collection of Teddy bears.

    Survivors include daughters Billie KAHLING of Grand Junction, Janice STRAUSS of Northglenn, Colo, and Brenda ROBIDOUX of Wright, Wyo.; sisters Charlene CARLETON of Dallas, Marie STEPHENSON of Saginaw, Tex., and Peggy CURRIE of Plano, Tex; several nieces and nephews; grandchildren Stephen, Raymond, Chris, Jeri, James and Keri; and great-grandchildren Jessica, Anthony, and Wishawna.

    Memorial contributions may be made to the American Heart Association, Mesa County Division, P.P. Box 474, Grand Junction, CO 81502. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 8 June 1995)

  • FILSON, John D. - An Old Settler Dead. John D. FILSON, one of the early settlers of Eagle county, died at Red Cliff sometime Sunday, Aug. 21. Mr. FILSON lived alone and was found dead in his cabin by a neighbor Sunday at 1 ;00 o'clock in the afternoon. The remains were cared for by Mortician O. W. MEYER and laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery in Red Cliff Tuesday of this week.

    The deceased had lived in the county for many years, following mining most of his life. For a number of years he had lived on a small ranch on West Lake creek which he took up as a homestead, but a few years ago he abandoned ranch life and returned to the mines on Battle mountain. Little was known here of his early life or of his relatives. The writer and intimate acquaintance with Mr. FILSON extending over many years and found him to be a man of strict integrity, likable and a good neighbor.[26 Aug. 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • FITCH, Linnie Ann - Linnie Ann FITCH was born May 23, 1883, at Jamesport, Mo. and departed this life May 31, 1928, in St. Lukes hospital in Denver, Colo., following an appendicitis operation, at the age of 45 years and 8 days.

    On February 26, 1902 she was married to Jake L. HART, at Randall, Kan. To this union seven children were born--five girls and two boys. One boy, Lawrence died in infancy.

    She moved with her parents to Randall until in 1913, when she moved with her family to Eagle, Colo. In 1925 she moved to Englewood, Colo., and later to Hudson, Colo., where she resided at the time of her death.

    She united with the Randall Christian church in early girlhood. She was a faithful member and took an active part in church work wherever she lived. Mrs. Hart was a member of the Hudson Christian church when she was called to the Kingdom of God.

    She leaves to mourn her death, her husband, Jake L. HART, and six children , Mrs. C. S. ANDERSON, of Phoenix, Ariz.; Mrs. George HAMMERICH, of Glenwood Springs, Colo.; Alice M., Ruth T., Gerald R., and Jamis P. HART, all of Hudson, Colo. Her mother, Mrs. Alice FITCH, Randall, Kan., five sisters and two brothers--Mrs. Dora MATHES, Marion, Ill., Fred L FITCH, Freeport, Ill., Hazel FITCH, Kirksville, Mo., Mrs. D. R. DAWDY, Jewell, Kan., Cora E., Dolly V., and Elmer FITCH, all of Randall, Kan. Three granddaughters, a number of relatives and a host of friends.

    The funeral services were held in the Hudson church Saturday, June 2, 1928, at 2:30 p. m. and the body was laid to rest in the Mountain View cemetery at Hudson.

    Those from a distance attending the funeral were two daughters, Mrs. C. S. ANDERSON of Phoenix, Ariz., Mrs. George HAMMERICH of Glenwood Springs, Colo., one sister, Dolly V. FITCH, and one brother-in-law, Emby I. HART, all of Randall.

    The news of the death of Mrs. HART was received in Eagle with deep regret and sorrow. During her years of residence on Brush creek she made friends of everyone in this neighborhood and she was dearly beloved by all of her neighbors and friends. The bereaved family have the deepest sympathy of everyone here in their great bereavement.[8 June 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • FITZPATRICK, Margaret - Mrs. Margaret FITZPATRICK, long and familiarly known as "Aunt Maggie," died on last Monday morning. Mrs. FITZPATRICK had been in failing health for about a year and death was due to the natural result of old age accompanied by a dropsical affection. During the closing months of her life the deceased said she suffered no pain but was just getting weaker and weaker and often remarked that her time was about up.

    Mrs. FITZPATIRCK was a unique character. She was a native of Ireland and had long been a widow. She leaves two daughters, each with families, in Illinois. Her children had often pleaded with her to spend her declining years with them, but she stoutly refused to do so. Until her health failed she resolutely supported herself and independently maintained her humble home in Red Cliff, having meanwhile laid by sufficient means with which she maintained herself even after her health failed and was possessed of some property at the time of her death. She was devoutly attached to Red Cliff and preferred her humble home and __cluded life here to a home with her daughters who are in comfortable circumstances. One great desire was to die in Red Cliff and be buried here and her wish was realized in every detail. Her relatives were communicated with and telegraphed that some of them would come on the take charge of the remains. Meanwhile Mr. Proper LATEM, in whom Aunt Maggie had great confidence, took charge of her affairs and on yesterday, no relatives of the deceased having arrived, the funeral was held with the interment in Greenwood cemetery.(15 Aug 1901, Eagle County Blade,p.3)

    Return to Top


  • FLANNERY, Thomas - Thomas FLANNERY met his death Thursday, June 25, when he fell from a flume scaffolding at Rex and sustained fatal injuries which he survived but a few hours.

    Tom FLANNERY was one of the old-time residents of Gilman where he had followed mining for many years. For the past several years he has been an underground shift boss for the Empire Zinc company, but this spring he suffered a severe attack of pneumonia and when he was dismissed from the hospital recently, was given outside employment by the company, until he had fully recovered. At the time of his death he was acting as inspector of the long pipe line which conveys the refuse matter from the zinc mill three miles to the settling pond on the old BOLT ranch. His duties were to patrol the line each day. The pipe passes over a high trestle near Rex and it was at this point he met with mishap which brought about his death. The injured man was placed on Train No. 16 and taken to Salida, but died enroute to the hospital.

    We were unable to get any information of the funeral or burial. Mr. FLANNERY is survived by several children, his wife having preceded him in death.[3 July 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]


    Funeral services, which were held this morning for the late Thomas Flannery, former Leadville resident, were largely attended by local friends and a representation of Gilman citizens, as he had been living at Gilman for the past twenty-three years. The services were held at 9:30 this morning from the Church of the Annunciation, the funeral cortege leaving the Moynahan-O'Malia funeral chapel at 1 o'clock.

    Rev. Father E. L. Horgan officiated at mass. Two vocal solos, "Prayer for Happy Death" and "One Fleeting Hour" were sung by Mrs. Kate Forman, accompanied by Miss Mary Genry, organist.

    Interment was in St. Joseph's cemetery and the pallbearers, all citizens of Gilman, Colorado, were Pete Doyle, John Doyle, O.R. Abrahamsen, John Curran, Adam Houck, and Thomas Daviney.

    Born in New York City, February 1, 1872, he came to Colorado when he was about twelve years of age. After settling for a time in the San Luis valley, he later moved to Leadville when the town was in its boom.

    He engaged as a miner here for several years.

    He was married in Leadville when he was about twenty-one, to Catherine Barlow and twenty-three years ago he and his family moved to Gilman, Colorado, where he followed his occupation as a miner and shaft foreman.

    During the influenza epidemic in 1918 he lost his wife and two sons, who were buried in Leadville within a period of ten days.

    While he made his home at Gilman, he gained many friends as was evidenced by the number of floral tributes and the attendance at the funeral services. Numbered among the floral tributes were many large set pieces and a broken wheel from the Gilman community.

    He died in a Salida hospital last Friday morning from injuries incurred the previous morning, when he fell from a pile line at the tailings pond of the Empie Zinc company, where he had been employed for the past four or five years. Following the accident he was taken to the hospital at Salida via ambulance, and the death resulted from a punctured lung, caused by a fractured rib. For several years he had been employed as a shaft foreman but, recently, because of failing health, had been transferred to outdoor work; and it was while working on the pipe line that he fell to the ground, Thursday morning. He was rushed to the Gilman hospital and sent from there to Salida.

    The only surviving member of his family, a married daughter, Mrs. Leo Jones of Oakland, California, arrived here after being notified of her father's death. He is also survived by a son-in-law, Leo Jones and three grandchildren, Patricia, Barbara and Milford Jones.

    A sister-in-law, Mrs. Nellie Nolan of Lake City, Colorado and a niece Mrs. Hazel William's of Victor, Colorado together with Mr. Nolan and Mr. Williams were here for the funeral services.

    (A Leadville Paper (possibly the Leadville Herald Democrat)-dated July 2, 1931) [This obituary was kindly donated by Kathleen Minion 16 April 1999]

  • FLECK, Mack Gaylord 1856 - 1926

    From the Salida Newspaper

    PROMINENT PIONEER OF SALIDA DIES ON COAST - Word has been received in this city of the death of Mack FLECK, a pioneer resident of the state and of this community at Long Beach, California, Thursday February 4. Death resulted from flu-pneumonia and a complication of diseases.

    Mr. Fleck had gone to California last November for his health, and was deriving much benefit from the change of climate until this recent illness overtook him.

    With him at the time of his death were his wife, his son Roy, of Washington, his daughters, Mrs. J.H. MCMUELLEN, Mrs. Minnie RICHARDSON and Mrs. M.B. ALLEN, of Long Beach and Los Angeles, and a niece, Mrs. Lyman BANKS.

    Those in Salida to mourn Mr. Fleck's death are a daughter, Mrs. F. A. BEAUREGARD, a son, Lloyd Fleck, and a step-son Harry AULT. Other children surviving are Mrs. R.A. COLLINS of Minturn, Mrs. A.B. WALTERS, of Red Cliffe, and a son Ivan Fleck; also a brother, Charles in Pueblo, and other sisters and brothers in the east.

    Mack Fleck was born in Ohio, March 6, 1856, moving to Kansas when a mere child, and to Colorado in 1880, locating first at Leadville. At later intervals he resided at Red Cliffe and in the Holy Cross district, finally taking up a ranch at Avon, where he lived until coming to Salida six years ago.

    Mr. Fleck had held different positions of esteem and trust, having been sheriff of Eagle county for six years, a commissioner of that county for a like period of years, president of the school board, and serving in various other capacities in a satisfactory manner.

    Many pioneers of Chaffee Lake, Eagle, Garfield and Mesa counties will mourn the passing of one of their number, since Mr. Fleck was prominently interested in all activities in the communities in which he had resided for a number of years, and was held in the highest respect by his friends and acquaintances.

    Funeral services will be conducted in Long Beach Sunday afternoon, and li? and interment will be made there. (Contributed by Lana TROY)

  • FLECK, MACK - CALLED BY GRIM REAPER - Another Eagle County prioneer passes away - died in California last week - was leading citizen and public officer of county for forty years. Mack Gaylord FLECK was born March 6, 1856, near Upper Sandusky Ohio. He came with his parents Peter and Sarah Fleck, when five years old, to Auburn township, Shawnee county, Kansas, being the eldest of eight children who lived to manhood and womanhood. He was married at Auburn, Kansas, April 23, 1876 to Mary Bell STAHL. Ten children were born to them, his wife passing away November 7, 1898.

    He later married Maybelle AULT, January 1900.

    He first came to Colorado in 1875, to near this part in 1878, and was back and forth to Auburn Kansas until 1884 when he brought his family, a wife and four children to Red Cliff and Eagle county. He moved in what is now the Gustafson place in April, 1880, later moving to what is now Barlow ranch, both near Avon where he resided until six years ago, when he moved to Salida, Colorado.

    In September, he accompanied his daughter and son in law Mr. and Mrs. M.B. ALLEN, by auto to Long Beach, Calif where he passed away February 4, 1926, of complications of pneumonia and influenza, aggravated by asthma, after an illness of two weeks. His wife, three daughters, son and granddaughter, and their families were with him in Long Beach during his illness.

    He was town marshal of Red Cliff for years; sheriff and county commissioner of Eagle country for a number of terms each, and a member of the Eagle County High School board for years. He was 69 years, 10 months and 28 days old at the time of his death.

    Besides his wife, Maybelle Fleck, he is survived by nine children, Bertha E. WALTER of this city, Minnie RICHARDSON of Placentia, Calif.; Elmer L. Fleck of Boyds, Wash,: Florence MCMUELLEN of Compton, Calif.; Hazel BEAUREGARD of Salida, Colo.; Laura COLLINS of Minturn, Colo.; Lloyd Fleck of Salida, Colo.; Helen ALLEN of Long Beach, Calif.; four brothers, Charles of Pueblo, Colo.; Burdette of Auburn, Kan.; Louis of Maple Hill, Kan.; Maurice of near Topeka, Kan.; two sisters, Minnie YEAGER and Jennie BAKER of Auburn, Kan.; and fourteen grandchildren.

    In the death of Mack Fleck one of the very old time characters of Eagle county and Colorado passes on.

    Mack Fleck was one of Eagle county's most progressive citizens for nearly forty years. He made friends and some enemies. You never were in any doubt where Mack Fleck stood on any public question. In politics always a Republican. He was always foremost in any project for the betterment of the community, and he was known far and wide. He leaves a host of friends. So passeth the procession of old-timers. - Holy Cross Trail.

    The funeral was held in Long Beach, Calif. last Sunday afternoon and interment was made in a cemetery there. (Contributed by Lana TROY)

  • FLEMING, J. Rex - J. Rex FLEMING died May 27 in Denver. He was 88.

    He was born Feb 14, 1907 in Bushnell, Ill. and married Bernice M. EGGERT on March 25, 19032 at St. Elizabeth's Church in Denver. He was employed as vice president of administration for Henry Van Hemmel, Inc., and also served as a member of the National Association of Cost Accountants, for which he was past president. He was also past president of the Holy Name Society in Eagle and Denver.

    Survivors include sons Jerry of Lakewood, Bill of Englewood and Steve of Omaha, Neb.; nine grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, Bernice.

    A Memorial Mass will be held Thursday, June 1 at 7 p.m. at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Eagle.

    Bruial was in Denver at Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Donations may be made to the Eagle Senior Center, P.O. Box 927, Eagle, Co. 81631. (Do not know the date and name of newspaper)

  • FLYNN, Catherine - Death Claims Mrs. Catherine FLYNN--Settled in Eagle More Than Forty Years Ago--Buried Beside Her Husband in Eagle Tuesday.

    Another of the pioneers of Eagle passed away Saturday, December 31, when Mrs. Catherine FLYNN died at her home in Glenwood Springs after an illness of only a few days with pneumonia.

    The deceased was a native of Ireland, where she was born August 21, 1866. She came to the United States when only a young girl, and was married in this country. In 1889 or 1890 she and her husband came to Eagle, and their first child, their daughter, Nora, was the first child to be born in Eagle, in 1890. A son, William, was also born to them while residing in Eagle. Later the family moved to Kent where they resided a great many years, and it was while living there, Mrs. FLYNN reared her family, and, where Mr. FLYNN died many years ago. Surviving the deceased are two daughters, Mrs. Katie GILL of Los Angeles, Calif., and Nora FLYNN of Glenwood Springs, Colo.; four sons, William and Dan, employed by the D. & R. G. railroad at Minturn; John, living at Malta; and James of Glenwood Springs.

    Mrs. FLYNN was a most lovable woman, a devoted mother, and a good neighbor. During her years in this county, she was noted for her acts of charitable kindness, and among the railroad men on the Rio Grande in the earlier days she was looked upon almost as a mother to each and everyone of them. Left with her family of six young children to rear Mrs. FLYNN held the family together, saw that they received an education and prepared them to make their battle with life.

    About ten years ago the deceased moved to Glenwood Springs, where she has since made her home with her daughter, Nora.

    Mrs. FLYNN was a devout Catholic and a Rosary was held at the FARNUM funeral chapel in Glenwood Springs Monday evening at 8 o'clock by the Catholic Daughters and the Knights of Columbus. Father CARRIGAN conducted a 10 o'clock funeral mass Tuesday and the body was then brought to Eagle for burial beside her husband. The Circle lodge of Eagle of which she was a member, conducted the services at the grave at 2 o'clock.[6 Jan. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • FONDER, Madgie Mae - From the Glenwood Post

    Madgie Mae FONDER, the four year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John FONDER, died Monday afternoon at the family residence in this city. The little one had been suffering from an aggravating case of tonsillitis and was thought to be improving when heart failure cause her death. The remains were taken to the Glenwood cemetery Wednesday afternoon where Mr. MALLERY conducted the brief prayer service and all that was mortal of Little Madgie was laid away.

    The father lives at Red Cliff where he is interested in mining and this winter Mrs. FONDER and the children have resided in Glenwood. The family have the sympathy of the community.(11 April 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • FORSTER, Clint Ray - Clint Ray Forster of McCoy died Dec 3, in Yampa. He was 18.

    Cling was born Jan 29, 1978 in Craig and attended school at McCoy Elementary and Soroco. He was employed as a heavy equipment operator with Jimmy Brathan & Sons.

    Clint loved life and spending time with his friends and he had a fun living, happy-go-lucky type of personality. One of his sayings was:"...kicks and giggles." But he also showed a strong sense of love and loyalty to his family as well as all his many friends.

    Clint loved life, hunting, fishing and fast cars. Thought he was stubborn when he tried to be protected, in reality he was an individual and was his own man.

    It means much to his family, especially to his mom, that he had a very special relationship with God. He lived each day to the fullest, yet asked for God's guidance, gave thanks to God, and he had made his peace with God...and now has returned to the Father to "...God's peace which passeth all understanding."

    Survivors include his mother and father, Ruby and Frank FORSTER of McCoy; brother Marty FORSTER and family of Utah; and sister Frankie Lee F. SOLOMAN and children of McCoy.

    Services were held Dec 7 at 2 p.m. at the McCoy School, with Rod DREY officiating. Pallbearers were Travis KIRBY, Herson LUJON, Ryan REDMAN, Ryan SMITH, Frank HUGHES and Luke PENNINGTON. Honorary pallbearers were Jerry WHALEY, Charlie PORTINS, John MOGAN and James REDMOND. Burial was at the McCoy Community Cemetery.

  • FOREST, Fred - Fred FOREST, son of Mr. and Mrs. John FOREST, of Eagle died Wednesday evening, June 8, 1927, at 8:30 o'clock, in the sanitarium at Glenwood Springs, where he had been taken from his home in Eagle a few days before.

    The direct cause of his death was typhoid fever, but he was also affected with peritonitis. Fred had been in failing health for some weeks suffering from the injuries received several years ago in a mine accident on Battle mountain, so that his constitution was not in condition to withstand a serious attack of disease.

    His father and mother of Eagle, a brother, John, of Cheyenne, Wyo., and a sister, Mrs. Will Buckley, of Silver Plume, Colo.,, were at his bedside when death came.

    Funeral services will be held from the Catholic church in Eagle this, Friday, morning.[10 June 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • FORRESTER, Mary Jane - Mary Jane COCH was born at Burns, Colo., April 17, 1892, and died in a Glenwood Springs hospital August 24, 1936, after an illness of but a few days.

    Her entire life time was spent in the community where she was born, and in 1917 was married to Wm. R. Forrester. To this union were born four children, three of whom survive their mother.

    She leaves to mourn her death, her husband and children, Leonard, Annabelle, and Robert; the mother, Annabelle COCK, Burns; her father, W.J. COCK, Craig; five brothers and four sisters - H.G. COCK, W.B. COCK, C. A. COCK, and J. H. COCK, Mrs. B. C. OWEN, Mrs. H. A. BURROWS, Mrs. Dorothy WELLS, Mrs. Bertha STULL, all of Burns; Ernest Lee COCK, of Colorado Springs.

    Funeral services were held Wednesday from the Methodist church in Gypsum, with Rev. T. B. McDIVITT in charge, and the body was laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery in Gypsum. During the funeral services Mrs. Dorothy GERARD and Miss Albertine ZOLLNER sang "Rock of Ages" and "Abide with Me."

  • FOX, Frank - Frank FOX, one of the early residents of this community, passed away Thursday morning at the F.L. NEWCOMER home on Brush creek. Mr. FOX has been in the failing health of old age for some time, and had been staying on the NEWCOMER ranch for the past several months. Funeral arrangements had not been announced at this writing.

  • FOX, Geraldine S. 1909-1994

    Geraldine S. FOX, formerly of Eagle and Gypsum, died Aug. 6 of natural causes at the E. Dene Moore Memorial Home in Rifle. She was 85.

    Mrs. FOX was born Jan. 22, 1909 in Greenview, Ill. to H. Newton STONE and Bertie Lee STONE. She spent her childhood in Illinois, where she attended high school in Middletown. She married Russell M. FOX on Feb. 17, 1946, was a homemaker and also the owner of the Fox Ski Shop in Minturn. She moved to Rifle in 1992 and previously lived in Eagle and Gypsum, as well as Denver.

    She was a member of the Eagle County Senior Citizens organization and the Neighbors of Woodcraft, and was well-known for her knitting skills. In her earlier years she loved to hunt and fish.

    Survivors include step-daughters Norella HAUN of Exeter, Calif., and Merceda SERVATIUS of Weiser, Idaho; sister Nelle NICHOLS of Middletown, Ill.; Nephews Russell FOX of Rifle, Walter FOX of Red Cliff, Richard FOX of Aurora, Colo., and Charles FOX (location unknown); and nieces Esta COVALT of Edwards, and Donna BERGGREN of Wauneta, Neb. She was preceded in death by her husband Russell M. FOX.(Eagle Valley Enterprise 11 Aug 1994)

  • FOX, Joseph - Joseph FOX, a man about sixty years of age, died at the residence of Mr. Alfred HANSCOME, near Eagle, on Tuesday, July 25.

    A number of years ago the deceased was a miner on Battle Mountain and quite well known. He has been in failing health for some years and had made his home among the ranchmen of the valley. So far as known deceased had no family. Undertaker FARNUM of Red Cliff took charge of the remains.(27 July 1899 Eagle county Blade, p. 3)

  • FOX, Mable Fern - was born at Aspen, Colo., June 13, 1905. She later removed to Marble, this state, with her parents, and then to Eagle, where she first entered the public school. She departed this life February 16, 1920, after suffering for more than a year with an affliction that slowly ate her young life away.

    She was a most lovable child, a great favorite with her companions and schoolmates, and her untimely calling from this life and her lingering death was more than usually sad. Knowing for months that her death was unavoidable and her life but short, she bore the ordeal with unusual fortitude for one of her years, passing to her eternal reward trusting in the loving care and mercy of her Savior. Her last days were made as pleasant as it was possible for loving hearts to do, and her sick room was made bright by almost daily gifts of beautiful flowers from the hands of her girl friends and former school mates. She is survived by her parents and two brothers, Marion and Woodrow, and a large circle of loving friends.

    The funeral services were held at the residence of her mother Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. L. G. HONNOLD, pastor of the Methodist church, officiating, and the remains were followed to their last resting place in the Eagle cemetery by a large number of sorrowing friends.[20 Feb. 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


    • FRAZIER, Milby J. - Funeral services will be conducted Tuesday for son of pioneer Colorado family who died Saturday after short illness.

      Milby J. FRAZIER, 74, a pioneer state brand inspector, died late Saturday at his home at 3229 Columbine St., in Denver, following a 10 day illness. Funeral services will be conducted at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Olinger mortuary

      Born in 1864, at the ranch home of his father , Reuben FRAZIER, on the site of what now is Florence, Colo., Milby FRAZIER grew up on the ranch and attended the old State Military academy oat Canon City. On completing his education, he went to work for the Reynolds Cattle company at Canon City, in which his father was a partner.

      For 20 years he followed cattle trains which led him from Wyoming to Old Mexico. At one time he operated a stage line between Steamboat Springs and State Bridge, Colo., before the advent of the railroad.

      The FRAZIER river and the town of the same name were named after his father. Originally the spelling was the same as the family name, but it was changed when the post office was established in Frazier.

      FRAZIER received his first appointment as brand inspector from the old Cattlemen's association, before the state made provisions for the office. For the past 31 years, he made his headquarters at the Denver stock yards.

      Folling the last Denver stock show, FRAZIER was stricken seriously ill. He served as an official of the National Western Stock Show, and as secretary of the Cowboy's Reunion association, an organization of early day cattlemen.

      He was in charge of arrangements at the annual banquet held by that group at the last stock show.

      Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Mamie FRAZIER, whom he married in Denver in 1903; and two sons, Pierce S. and Milby H. FRAZIER, both of Denver. Funeral services will be followed by cremation at Riverside cemetery.

      (from another obituary)

      Milby J. FRAZIER, 75, of 3229 Columbine street, brand inspector for the state board of stock inspection commissioners in Denver for thirty years, died of a heat ailment in his home Saturday after a brief illness.

      He was born in 1864 on a ranch where Florence, Colo., is now located. Later the family moved to Canon City, where, as a young man, he helped his father, a blacksmith, shoe oxen which pulled the long freight wagon trains coming thru that region. After his father, with others, organized the Reynolds Cattle company in 1880, one of the big outfits of the state, FRAZIER punched cattle for nine years in the Cripple Creek area, in southern Colorado and other sections. From 1889 to 1893 he homesteaded in Egeria park in northwest Colorado.

      Later he became state brand inspector in the Egeria Park region and in Wolcott. In the early 1900's he came to Denver to inspect cattle that came in over the newly-built Denver & Salt Lake railroad. Since that time until the close of the recent stock show he worked at the Denver Stockyards.

      Surviving him are his wife, Mamie S. FRAZIER, and two sons, Pierce S and Milby Howard FRAZIER, both of Denver.

      Funeral services will be held in the Olinger mortuary, Sixteenth and Boulder streets, at 2:30 pm Tuesday. Cremation will take place at Riverside cemetery.

    • FREDERICHSEN, O. E. - A ghastly find was made between Wolcott and Sherwood on Sunday by J. H. CHASE and wife who reside near Sherwood. While taking a stroll along the canon Mr. and Mrs. CHASE discovered the decomposed remains of a man. The case was reported to Coroner W. H. FARNUM on Monday and on Tuesday he went to investigate.

      The remains are undoubtedly those of O.E. FREDERICHSEN, formerly a resident of Red Cliff.

      The body lay in the cedars on the north side of Eagle river about 200 feet above the railroad tack and nearly opposite the north end of the wagon bridge across Eagle river just above Sherwood.

      Coroner FARNUM and party met with a ghastly sight. The head was entirely gone from the trunk and could not be found and the body otherwise mutilated, apparently by wild animals or birds. From appearances the man may have been dead several months - at least sometime.

      The right hand pants pocket was turned wrong side out, but it is impossible to say what was the cause of death - whether foul play or not. The following effects were found in the clothing:

      A razor wrapped in a cloth; eight bone collar buttons; stamp box and three stamps; lather brush; soap; tobacco and tooth brush, besides several letters.

      The writing on these papers was partly defaced by the elements, but one as follows was quite distinct:

      First National Bank

      Ogalalla, Neb., Aug. 9, 1890.

      To whom it May Concern:

      I have been acquainted with the bearer, Mr. O. E. FREDERICHSEN, for the past four years, during which time he has been a customer of ours and I have had occasion to do a great deal of business with him.

      I have always found him prompt and reliable in all of his dealings and a man of marked ability and a "rustler." He leaves this place in the search of employment, and I take pleasure in recommending him to anyone in need of the services of a good and reliable man.

      F. G. HOXIE, Cashier

      Two other letters of similar nature, one from M. HELLMAN & Co., wholesale clothing, 1301 and 1303 Farnham Street, Omaha, dated May 30, 1883, and signed Hellman & Co., per A. C. W., and the other by H. A. Jandt & C9o., clothier's, Iowa City, and dated September 12, 1879, were among those found.

      These, together with the short stature of the deceased and other circumstances known to the officials positively identify the gruesome remains as those of O. E. FREDERICHSEN.

      Deceased came to Red Cliff with his family in 1898, and for some time conducted a clothing store for Mr. PELTON of The Famous of Leadville. The family resided here two of three years and then Mrs. FREDERICHSEN and the children went to her former home at Dalton, Georgia.

      FREDERICHSEN was a competent man in his line when sober but was a victim of strong drink. Since separating from his family he had been wandering about the state, having been at Salida some time.

      About two weeks ago Sheriff Frank FARNUM received a letter from deceased's oldest son, Walter B. FREDERICHSEN. The letter is dated at Dalton, Georgia, January 13, 1904, and requests the co-operation of the sheriff in locating his father; that the family had not heard from the father in about six months, although previous to that time he had written regularly every week. The family has been notified of the finding of the body by telegraph by the coroner.

      The following incident, brought out by the coroner in his investigation, may be in some manner responsible for FREDERICHSEN's death and the sudden termination of communications with his family:

      The section men say that some time last summer, about July or August, a huge sandstone boulder came down from the side of the canon and struck the railroad track almost directly underneath where the body was found. The boulder, damaged the tack and two passenger trains were delayed there while the section crew repaired it. The boulder started from a point above where the body was found, and the body was not exactly in its path. Yet might not the larger boulder have started smaller ones, one of which may have bounded from a direct course down the hill and killed FREDERICHSEN. The body lay on its back with the coat drawn up under the shoulders as though it had slid feet foremost.(4 Feb 1904, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)


      The body of O. E. FREDERICHSEN, which was found near Wolcott last week, was buried at Wolcott by Coroner FARNUM last Friday. Word from the deceased's family to that effect was received.

      The coroner's jury was empanneled and investigated the case, but nothing further concerning the circumstances of the man's death than were stated in these columns last week was learned.

      From papers just received by County Judge P. TAGUE from the recorder of the lodge, it appears that deceased was a member in good standing of Ogallala Lodge No. 62, A.O.U.W., and held veneficiary certificate No. 2080.(11 Feb 1904, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

    • FRENCH, Mrs. Henry - Pioneer Sheephorn Lady Dies in Iowa.

      Mrs. C. B. RUNDELL of Sheephorn recently received news of the death of her mother, Mrs. Henry FRENCH, January 10. Mrs. FRENCH was making her home with another daughter, Mrs. Mary YATES, at the time of her death.

      Mrs. FRENCH, with her husband was one of the pioneers of the Sheephorn valley, and was about 96 years of age when death called her. She is survived by four children, the two daughters, Mrs. YATES and Mrs. RUNDELL; two sons, Chas. FRENCH, of Glenwood Springs, and Harry FRENCH, now supervisor of the San Isabel National Forest in Colorado. For many years the latter was supervisor of the Holy Cross Forest with headquarters at Glenwood Springs.[20 Jan 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • FRIEND, Harry CORDING, Henry - Two Men Killed By Railroad Train in Minturn Yards. Harry FRIEND and Henry CORDING Struck by Passenger Train No. 1 Friday Evening--No Witnesses To Accident--Coroner's Inquest Pronounces It Unavoidable Accident.

      The Coroner's Verdict. Inquest held Dec. 12, 1931--Henry W. CORDING and Harry FRIEND. That from the evidence submitted the above named Henry CORDING and Harry FRIEND, came to their deaths by being killed by Denver & Rio Grande Western train No. 1 in the railroad years at Minturn on the evening of Dec. 11th, 1931, death being purely accidental.--Signed: O. W. RANDALL, G. D. ROBERTS, J. E. BERRY, H. G. BAYER, Harry CUSTER, R. D. PRICE, Jurors.

      Harry FRIEND, 43 and Henry CORDING, 49, were struck by the locomotive of Rio Grande passenger train No. 1, as the train was entering the railroad years in Minturn at approximately 6:20 Friday evening and instantly killed.

      The accident occurred at the east end of the yards 200 or 300 feet west of the road crossing near the Y. M. C. A. building and just how these two men, used to being around the yards, and aware that No. 1 was due to come in, got in the way of the train will always be a mystery.

      They had left the Y. M. C. A. building but a few minutes before for the depot, to mail a letter on train No. 16, shortly due to arrive. They went toward the road crossing located some 300 feet from the north entrance to the "Y" building to walk sown the track from that point to the depot.

      An engine, in charge of hotelier Hughie YOUNG and his helper Albert BURNETT, was just taking the siding to the sand house. As CORDING and FRIEND passed the engine they hailed the engine men and Mr. YOUNG called to them to be careful and not get hit by No. 1, which was due. As they reached the crossing, they met Elmer HUFF, coming from the depot in his truck, and stepped aside to permit him to pass, the three recognizing and greeting one another. This was the last seen of either CORDING or FRIEND until after the horrible accident.

      Engineer Earl Z. VICTOR and Fireman W. G. SCHNEIDER on No. 1's locomotive testified that they were approaching the station at a speed of from 12 to 15 miles an hour, and that the engine's whistle was sounded for the crossing. Messes YOUNG and BURNETT each testified that hey heard the whistle just as they were in the act of taking sand, and HUFF heard it after he had stopped his truck near the pool hall. Fireman SCHNEIDER testified that owing to a curve in the main west bound track just west of the road crossing his view of the track was obstructed, so that he could not see the track in front of the locomotive. Mr. VICTOR stated that he had his eyes strictly on the line ahead and that he had a clear and unobstructed view through the yards to the depot. But he never saw the men and neither he r his fireman knew of striking anyone or anything. But as the brakes were set for the stop each noticed a smell which they from experience recognized as that of burning flesh as it between the brake shoes and the engine wheels. So when they got off the engine at the depot they walked around it to see if they could find evidence of having run over an animal or person. A close inspection discovered blood on the coupling bar, and then a hat was discovered on top of the pilot. This was the first intimation that probably a man had been hit. The hat was taken to the yard office, where it was at once identified as that worn by FRIEND. Parties at once went up the track to see what they could fine. Their discovery was a gruesome one. The body of FRIEND was found lying in the middle of the track, head cut off and nearly every bone in the body broken. His shoes, with overshoes on had been jerked from his feet intact. CORDING was found about 100 feet east of the body of FRIEND lying just outside the right had rail. When found he was struggling to set up, and said, "Harry and I were trying to et to the depot." and then expired, before he could give any explanation of how the accident occurred.

      Coroner DYMENBERG was notified at once, and Mortician O. W. MEYER of Red Cliff called, as was District Attorney W. H. LUBY at Eagle. A coroner's inquest was held Saturday and a thorough investigation made of every detail leading up to the accident, but nothing was brought out to attach any blame upon anyone connected with the railroad. The only explanation that seems plausible is that these two men perfectly familiar with the danger of walking in the yards among the maze of railroad tracks, became confused as to which track they were on, and confident they were not on the west-bound main line, gave the approaching train no heed.

      FRIEND was a brother-in-law of Pat WHITMORE owner of the pool hall in Minturn, and for the past year had been employed as day man at the pool hall. His home was in Denver where his wife and two daughters lived. They were at once notified of the tragedy and arrived in Minturn Saturday evening. FRIEND'S body was taken to Red Cliff by Mortician MEYER and prepared for burial, funeral services being held at Minturn Monday, and the remains laid to rest in the cemetery at that place.

      CORDING was employed as house man at the Y. M. C. A. building, his home being in Grand Junction. Relatives there were notified of his death, and a brother-in-law, Will MURPHY, came to Minturn at once to attend the coroners inquest, and take charge of the body, which was shipped to Grand Junction for burial Saturday evening.[18 Dec. 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • FRITZ, Wilbur - Buried at Salida - Wilbur FRITZ, who has been confined in the hospital of Dr. COCHEM at Salida for several months and who was operated on several times for appendicitis died Friday. He was buried from the Salida undertaking parlors Monday. Johnnie FLEMING of this place attended the funeral, returning Tuesday.

      Wilbur FRITZ was well and favorably known here, as he worked here and in this vicinity for several years in the employ of Mr. FLEMING. He was a man who was well liked by all who were acquainted with him, making friends wherever he went.

      His brother, J. Thomas FRITZ of Wolcott, was at Salida when the death occurred.[9 Sept. 1909, Eagle County Blade, p1]

    • FROST, W. E. - W. E. FROST Answers The Call of The Master. With the death of W. E. FROST last Friday, November 19, passed away one, if not the very earliest actual settlers on Brush creek, in this county. Mr. FROST came into the valley in the spring of 1880, and located a homestead three or four miles from the present town site of Eagle. He returned to Middle Park that summer and sent his cattle in here that fall to winter, in charge of George S. WILKINSON. Two years later he was married to Abigail A. BORDEN and brought his bride to his new home, who shared his pioneer life until 1910, when she died.

      Mr. Frost was a true pioneer, loving the solitude of the unbeaten trail, and as neighbors began to cluster around him he moved farther back into the hills, settling on a homestead on East Brush creek, not far from the mining camp of Fulford. He remained there until 1918, when at the age of 62 years, he sold out all his holdings, loaded into a wagon and started west to seek a new country to conquer. But after crossing the Utah desert, a longing for the hills in which he had spent most of his life became too strong to resist and he was back on his old and familiar stomping ground within a few months after his departure. He then purchased an unimproved ranch near the head of West Brush creek, and it was, undoubtedly, the hard toil incident to the life of building up a home on new land in the high altitude that brought on his sudden death.

      "Webb" FROST was what the world calls a "squareman." Honest to the core, respected and beloved by his neighbors who trusted him in all matters with implicit faith, he will be sadly missed in this community.

      In 1914 he remarried to Mary E. MORELAND, who survives her husband. His first marriage was blessed with four children, of whom three are living; Eugene, of Eagle, Mrs. W. F. THORP, of Idaho Falls, Ida., and Mrs. A. J. SMITH, of Grand Junction, all of whom were present at his bedside at the time of his death. The funeral services were held Saturday afternoon from the family home in Eagle and the body laid to rest in the little cemetery on the Newcomer ranch, where it was his request to be buried.[26 Nov. 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • FRYER, H. H. - Killed by a Falling Log. While working in the timber for the Red Cliff Lumber Company last Saturday morning, H. H. FRYER was crushed by a falling log and very seriously injured. It was at first feared that his injuries would prove fatal, but he now appears to be getting along very nicely.

      He was handling logs on the skidway in the timber on Girard mountain, when a large log which he had just put on top of the pile started to roll over to the roadway below. FRYER grabbed the log with his hook , but instead of stopping the big timber was thrown ahead of it and to the ground clear of the skidway. The log rolled over his body and when help arrived directly, was lying across his head.

      The injured man was brought to Red Cliff by Malcom McLEOD, manager of the lumber company, and in the care of Dr. J. G. GILPIN, and Sunday morning was taken to the Red Cross hospital at Salida. One collar bone was broken in two places and his body badly bruised in many places. But no fatal internal injuries seem to have been inflicted, as was at first feared.

      FRYER had been working in the Willow creek logging camp for the Fleming lumber company all winter, and had gone to work for the Red Cliff company only the Wednesday previous to the accident. His home is in Iowa and he does not have many acquaintances. Red Cliff News.[3 March 1916, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]


    • FUGAT, E. T. - E. T. Fugat, after a ten days illness died Thursday morning at 2:15o'clock. He was buried in the Hayden cemetery. But little is known of his past where abouts. He came here last winter from Steamboat Springs.

      The above item is from the Hayden, Routt county, correspondence to the Steamboat Pilot. It no doubt refers to E. T. FUGAT, who for several years resided at Minturn, the only discrepancy being a very natural one in the spelling of the name. The date of the death would be December 5.

      "Judge" FUGAT, as he was familiarly known in this vicinity, was for years car inspector and foreman of the Denver & Rio Grande wrecking crew at Minturn, where he also at various times held the offices of justice of the peace.

      His eccentricities made him a conspicuous charter in the community. He was decidedly negligent of his personal appearance except on occasions where his services as justice of the peace were required. Let him have an engagement to perform a marriage ceremony, or let a petty litigant or a suit of any kind come before him, and he would don his silk hat and black frock coat and assume as much dignity as the bishop of a whole diocese. In his best raiment he would appear on the street, and everybody knew when "Judge" FUGAT had a case coming up by this preliminary parade of "his honor" in his stately wardrobe.

      The deceased was a native of Virginia or Tennessee, and often spoke of the daughter residing in some of the Southern states. He was between 60 and 70 years of age and had at some time been a Mason, though it is not known whether in good standing at the time of his death, or the location of the lodge the which he belonged.(19 Dec 1901, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

    • FULFORD, Edward J. - On January 16th, at his home at Eagle, occurred the death of Edward J. FULFORD, better known as "Grandpa" FULFORD. The deceased was but a few weeks less than 78 years of age, and had resided in this county for several years.

      "Grandpa" FULFORD was well known to travelers from Eagle to Fulford, as the family for many years conducted the half way stopping place on the stage route between these two points. For many years he has been a sufferer from paralysis, and his patience under his affliction has been the admiration of all acquaintances.

      Mr. FULFORD was a native of Canada, and early in life united with the Methodist church. During his active manhood and until incapacitated by his affliction he was a minister of this church.

      The funeral services were held at the Eagle Methodist Episcopal church, and many friends of the deceased and his family were present to pay their last respects to a good man and a devout Christian gentleman. (25 Jan 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    • FULFORD, Laura Ann - Another of the earliest settlers of Eagle county has passed away, Mrs. Albert Fulford dying at a hospital in Glenwood Springs Sunday morning, May 4, 1941.

      Laura Ann PHILLABAUM was born at Chili, Miami county, Indian, December 21, 1859, died May 4, 1941, at the age of 81 years, 4 months, 13 days. She is survived by her husband, Albert Fulford, who is in a hospital in Glenwood Springs, and was unable to attend the funeral in consequence; two daughters (by former marriages), Mrs. Alice LEA of Eagle, Colo., and Mrs. Emily LOTT of Buffalo, Wyo.; two granddaughters, Mrs. Alvin WEBB, Minturn, Colo., and Mrs. George COLLETT of Eagle; also two great grand daughters, Leota Webb and Sonya Collett.

      Two sisters survive, one, Mrs. Cora MATHENY of Argos, Ind., and Mrs. Rhoda HUEY, Tulsa, Okla.

      It may be said that she was a true pioneer of the West, having come to Eagle county in the spring of 1883. At the time transportation facilities in this section were limited to trails and very unsecured wagon roads, the railroad having only been built to Red Cliff at that time. She and her oldest daughter walked from the rail head at Red Cliff, over Battle Mountain to the Gypsum valley.

      She was united in marriage to Albert L. Fulford on September 14, 1924, and lived in Eagle until a year ago, when her health became so poor she was taken to a hospital in Glenwood Springs where she passed away.

      Funeral services were conducted from the Methodist church in Eagle Tuesday afternoon of this week, the Rev. F. W. CASSELMAN pastor of the church, having charge of the services. The remains were laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery in Gypsum. During the funeral services Mrs. Casselman and her two daughters sang "Shall We Gather at the River," by request.

      Pall bearers were George W. GRANT, Herman A. STEIN, B.F. LONG, W.H. MORGAN, Harold KOONCE, and Ralph BELDING.

    • FULFORD, Marshall - Saturday morning last Al FULFORD received a telegram from his nephew, Tod FULFORD, announcing the death of his brother, Marshall FULFORD, at his home in Los Angeles, Calif. Mr. FULFORD's death, evidently came suddenly as Alfred had no knowledge of his illness until notified of the death.

      "Mont" FULFORD was one of the pioneer builders of Eagle county and more particularly of Eagle valley. He came to Red Cliff in 1885 - fifty one years ago. He moved to the Eagle valley in 1887, and for a number of years he and his brother, Arthur, were identified with the mining development of New York mountain, the new camp being named Fulford, after them.

      For many years the FULFORD brothers were prominent in the affairs of this community, and to their endeavors, probably, is due the fact that this section of Eagle and Brush creek valleys were settled up as early in the county's history as they were.

      A carpenter by trade, Mont FULFORD built most of the pioneer buildings in Eagle that are now standing.

      He built that part of the Woodman hall now occupied by the Enterprise office, the present Billy MEEHAN residence, that owned by Mrs. Mae COX, the Forest HOTEL, Mrs. WOOD's residence, the residence occupied by H. R. BERGER, CRAMP's store building, the McGINLEY building occupied by Howard McCAIN, the CALVICK Cafe building, that occupied by Mrs. MORGAN's Serv-U Shop, Dr. BELDEN's residence, and others which have escaped us.

      He left Eagle for the Pacific coast some twenty years ago, but by older residents he was still talked of as one of them and they never spoke of him but as a citizen of Eagle still. The results of his work remain as a monument to his endeavor and his personality was such that his memory is fresh in the minds of those who knew him first half a century ago.

      Of the family of brothers and sisters only two are now left, Albert, of Eagle, and Mrs. Hattie PETERSON now living in Pueblo.

    • FULLER, Burt C. - Death Claims Pioneer Colorado Citizen and Trusted Public Officer of Eagle County.

      Burt C. FULLER passed away at his home in Eagle last Wednesday shortly after noon. Mr. FULLER had been suffering from an incurable chronic trouble for several years, and for the past few months had lived only on his sheer nerve and determination not to give up. He had attended to his duties a county assessor right up to the last, being compelled to take to his bed only a few days before his death. Wednesday morning it was evident that the end was near and friends and relatives recognized that he could not live out the day.

      The deceased was born in Vermont June 4, 1852. He received a college education, being a graduate of Cornell University. He early heeded the admonition of Horace Greeley and came West. His first venture was in Nebraska, where he was very successful in business. Closing out his interests in that state, he decided to return to the land of his birth, but after a few months in the east he could not resist the hold the West had on him and he came to Colorado. In 1880 he went to Leadville and from there to Aspen, then in the heyday of its mining prosperity. He was a resident of that camp for many years, and there met and married his wife. To this union there were born four children, of whom three, Burr S., Anna and Harry are now living. Later he moved to Eagle county, taking up his residence in Basalt, and in June 1911, he and his family became citizens of Eagle.

      In 1918, Mr. FULLER was elected to the office of county assessor of Eagle county on the democratic ticket, was re-elected in 1920 and had been selected by his party as a candidate for re-election to that office again this year. As assessor, Mr. FULLER made an enviable record as a public official. Being peculiarly fitted for the work both by reason of his educational qualifications and his natural ability, he had made the best assessor the county had ever had.

      A man of strong character and many sterling qualities he had made many warm friendships in his lifetime and he will be sadly missed by a great many friends through out Eagle and Pitkin counties. His widow and children all have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community in their sad bereavement.

      The funeral services will be conducted from the home in Eagle this Friday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in the Eagle cemetery.[1 Sept. 1922, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p10]

    • FULLER, Frank - Monday morning of this week, at Glenwood, occurred the death of Frank F. FULLER, an Eagle boy, who had been taken to a hospital in Glenwood Saturday night for an operation for appendicitis from which owing to the headway of the disease he was unable to rally. The funeral services, was held in Eagle Tuesday morning. Interment was made in the local cemetery.

      Frank F. FULLER, who would have been twenty years old the day of his burial, was born in Aspen, Colo., July 1st, 1893. He was the son of Bert FULLER of this place. He came to Eagle with his parents three years ago and residing here since was known, as a young man of praiseworthy habits, industrious and a great help to his mother. Two weeks ago he was taken ill with appendicitis; he seemed to improve for a while but the latter part of last week he grew much worse, till an operation was necessary, which was performed Saturday night, June 28, and from which he succumbed Monday morning at six o'clock. He leaves a father and mother, several brothers and sisters and a host of friends who sorrow at his early death and extend sympathy and condolence to the bereaved family.[4 July, 1913, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • FULLER, Mrs. Nellie E. - Mrs. Nellie E. FULLER, mother of Mrs. John D. NIMS, of Red Cliff, and Mrs. Carrie KNIGHT and Ed G. FULLER, of Buena Vista, died at her home in Buena Vista on Jun2, aged 63 years.

      The death of this excellent lady is another personal bereavement to the editor and his family, and is a subject upon which we cannot dwell. Mrs. FULLER was well known, and we may say very highly esteemed in Red Cliff, where she resided some time with her daughter. She had been an invalid and great sufferer for nearly a year, and for several months has awaited the inevitable and with admirable Christian fortitude.

      The deceased lady was a noble and self sacrificing mother and exemplary Christian woman. The funeral services were held at the late residence on last Saturday, the Rev. Mr. ROOT, an old friend of the family conducting them. The remains, accompanied by the deceased's eldest daughter were conveyed to Chicago, Illinois, where other relatives reside, and where interment occurred in the family plot at Graceland cemetery on Monday morning.(8 June 1899, Eagle County Blade, p.3) Return to Top

      Return to Eagle County Main page

      Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb