HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:06 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Click on the name below to jump to the location on this page.

GA * GE * GI * GL * GO * GR * GU *


  • GALLIGHER, Barney - Barney GALLIGHER, a laborer, was killed here Tuesday night by being hit by a train.

    He undertook to cross the track just ahead of No. 19 about 11:15 and was hit just as he cleared the rails. The train was going about 35 miles an hour and as soon as the engineer saw the engine had struck Mr. GALLIGHER he put on the air brakes and stopped the train before it had passed the stricken man. Mr. GALLIGHER was picked up and taken into the depot, Dr. DAHL was immediately called, but he died at 12 o'clock, about 45 minutes after the accident, without regaining consciousness. The accident occurred right by the water tank in Eagle.

    Mr. GALLIGHER had been drinking and it is presumed that he mistook No. 19 for No. 5 and intended to cross the track so he could climb the train without being seen and get a ride to Glenwood and thinking the train would stop had miscalculated the speed and was caught.

    P. SUTHERLAND, a brother-in-law of GALLIGHER came up from Grand Junction Wednesday morning and took the remains to Glenwood for burial.

    Barney GALLIGHER was 29 years old, he was raised in Leadville and has for the past few years made his home in Glenwood, where he is well known.[23 July 1915, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • GARCIA, Robert "Bear" Louis 1953 - 1995

    Robert Louis GARCIA of Gypsum died Tuesday, Oct. 10 at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs. He was 42.

    He was born Aug. 22, 1953 in Denver, the son of Louis and Helen GARCIA. He was an avid gymnast and enjoyed skiing and rafting. He was also a professional skate boarder and enjoyed teaching children art and anything that had to do with athletics.

    He was an Eagle and Gypsum area resident for the past 20 years and also served as a volunteer firefighter with the Gypsum Fire Department. He is survived by his wife. Allyson GARCIA of Gypsum; his mother Helen GARCIA of Littleton; two children, Kylie Tai and Alana Rae GARCIA, both of Gypsum; a sister, Fae (Jim) BUSH of Colorado Springs; brother John (Debbie) GARCIA of Ft. Collins; and numerous nephews, nieces, aunts and uncles; and three great - nieces.

    He was preceded in death by his father, Louis, who died in 1972. A memorial service was held Oct. 14 in Eagle at St. Mary's Catholic Church. Father Ed POHLMAN officiated.

    In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made for a college fund for Robert's two daughters. Arrangements were by Farnum - Holt Funeral Home. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 19 Oct 1995)


    Albert GATES prominent Eagle County stockman and rancher, died in the Glenwood hospital, early this morning of a heart attack.

    Mr. GATES 50 years of age, entered the hospital two days before his death. He was well known in the county, as well in stockmen's circles. He had been the Republican's candidate for county commissioner from District 3 twice. He recently had gone into business with Fred SATTERFIELD, in operating the store at Derby Creek Junction on the Colorado River.

    Tentative arrangements are for services conducted by Reverend Daniel CLARK of Eagle, at Burdge Garden Chapel in Glenwood Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock.

    Mr. GATES is survived by his wife, Bettie; five children; Betty Jo MILLER, Berta Jean STEPHENS, Bill, Janice and Janet GATES. (August 31, 1927)

  • GATES, Bettie E. 1907 - 1996

    Bettie E. GATES, formerly of Eagle County, died May 30 at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction of natural causes. She was 88. A homemaker and teacher, she was born Aug. 6, 1907 in Beaver Creek, Colo., to Buron HIGHT and Etta WILSON. She spent her childhood in Gypsum, where she graduated from high school. She attended Western State in Gunnison and the University of Colorado in Greeley, earning a teaching certificate. She married Albert GATES on June 17, 1930 in Burns, Colo. Mr. GATES died in 1959.

    Mrs. GATES moved to Grand Junction from Burns 25 years ago and was a member there of the First Presbyterian Church and the Cattlewoman's Association. She enjoyed crocheting, ranching and was a rodeo grandma.

    Survivors include her son, Bill GATES of Grand Junction; daughters Betty Jo MILLER of Grand Junction, Jean STEPHENS of Gypsum, Janet MAYNE of Connifer, Colo., and Janice MULLER of Grand Junction; 17 grandchildren and three step-grandchildren. She was also preceded in death by her brother, Paul HIGHT.

    A service of remembrance was held June 3 at the First Presbyterian Church in Grand Junction. Dr. John BRUINGTON officiated. Burial was at Rosebud Cemetery in Glenwood Springs.

    Memorial contributions may be made to the First Presbyterian Church, 3940 27 1/2 Rd., Grand Junction, CO 81506; or the Hospice of the Grand Valley, P.O. Box 60307, Grand Junction, CO 81506. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 5 June 1996)

  • GATES, Clark L. - Clark L. GATES, one of the original pioneer settlers of the Derby Mesa, in the Burns neighborhood, died very unexpectedly at his ranch Saturday afternoon, December 29, 1934.

    Mr. GATES had eaten a very hearty dinner and was apparently in the best of health, when, accompanied by Marcus HIGHT, he went to the feed lots to finish the day's feeding of his cattle. One load of hay had been spread over the field when he remarked to Mr. HIGHT that they would have to hurry to complete the day's chore before dark and jumped onto the rear of the hay rack as HIGHT drove off. The latter looked back a few minutes later and saw something was wrong with his companion and going back to him found him unconscious. HIGHT hurried to the house with Mr. GATES, and Dr. HOTOPP was summoned from Eagle , but before the doctor arrived Mr. GATES was dead.

    Funeral services were conducted from the Methodist Episcopal church in Gypsum, Monday afternoon, by Rev T.B. McDIVITT, and a large concourse of sorrowing friends attended the body to the last resting place in Cedar Hill cemetery, in Gypsum.

    Clark Lemlay GATES was born in Hebron, Nebr., September 6, 1877. He lived with his parents in Nebraska until none years of age, when they moved to Denver and remained there for a few years. The family then moved to Rock creek in Routt county, where Clark helped his folks manage a tourist resort. When 21 years of age, he located a homestead on Derby mesa, near Burns, and has resided there since until his death a few days ago.

    In 1914, he married Grace McGLOCHLIN of Wolcott, Colo. To this happy union two daughter were born.

    During his many years as a pioneer resident of Burns he became one of the true neighbors and friends of the community. As one of the county's leading ranch and cowmen, he was respected by all.

    He leaves to mourn his death, his widow, Grace; two daughters, Martha and Eva; four nephews and five nieces, all of Burns.

  • GATES, James P. - J. P. GATES Dies in California and James DILTS Passes Away at the Home of Nephew in Wyoming.

    Word was received Thursday morning from California of the death of James P. GATES the veteran rancher of Burns Hole. Mr. GATES was stricken with paralysis while visiting a nephew in Los Angeles. His son Clark GATES was at his fathers bed side at the time of his death.

    Mr. GATES was buried Friday beside the body of his beloved wife who dies about two years ago and was buried in California. [18 Apr. 1924, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • GANNON, John William - John William GANNON of Sweetwater died Thursday, Feb 10, at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs. He was 90.

    John was born Jan 8, 1904 in Gypsum, the son of William David and Edla Helena Peterson GANNON. He was a life-long rancher in Sweetwater and graduated from Eagle County High School. He also attended the Colorado Agricultural College in Gypsum. John never married.

    His Kindness and love for his fellow man was typified by his willingness to take the time to "pick the rocks out of the road" in order to make the way smoother for others.

    John was a member of the Odd Fellows, and he also enjoyed fishing, hunting, gardening and play-pitch.

    Survivors include: nephews and their wives, Bill and Janet MARTIN of Sweetwater; Milton and Wanda PRICE of Azusa, Calif., and their children Will and John; nieces and their husbands, Lorna and David McILAY of Citrus Heights, Calif., and their children Kim and John; Vera SCROGGINS of Baldwin Park, Calif., and Children Derry, Dave, Judy and Jennie; and Prudy PRICE and children Chrissy and Jeri. He was preceded in death by two sisters, May PRICE and Ruth MARTIN.

    Graveside services will be Thursday, Feb 17, at 1p.m., at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Gypsum. Memorials may be made to either the John GANNON Memorial Fund, or the Myrti H. STEPHENS Scholarship Fund, c/o Adrienne BRINK, 1507 Sweetwater Route, Gypsum, CO, 81637. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

  • GARM, Louis - Louis GARM was born in Berlin, Germany, May 6, 1876. He came to this country as a child and at the age of 16 his father brought him to Cripple Creek, Colo., and later he came to Eagle county, where he has engaged in prospecting and mining until the time of his death, at the age of 54 years and 8 months.

    He leaves to mourn his death two brothers, Julius of Denver, Colo., and Paul, of San Francisco, Calif.; four sisters, Emma SCHMIDT, Amelia WEINHEIMER and Martha HORK of Los Angeles, Calif., and Lena E. HELFRICH of Buffalo, N. Y.

    Mr. GARM was killed Monday of last week on the state highway near the mouth of Squaw creek, when a truck in which he was riding turned over.

    Funeral services were held at Minturn Sunday afternoon, January 11, attended by a large number of the friends and relatives of the deceased, who mourn his death.[16 Jan. 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • GASH, Maida Elizabeth 1924-1997 - Maida Elizabeth "Betty" GASH of Gypsum died April 24 at Clagett Hospital in Rifle. She was 75.

    Mrs. GASH was born May 26, 1921 in Cripple Creek, Colo., to Claude E. and Mary BOBAY WALCOTT. She spent her childhood in Cripple Creek and Silverton and was also a resident of Leadville and Gilman. She was resident of Gypsum for 15 years.

    She married the late Joel C. GASH in Sept. 1949 in Raton, NM., and was employed as a waitress at the Vail Holiday Inn and as waitress at Arturo"s Restaurant in Gypsum. She enjoyed her work and also liked to bowl. She was also a loving mom and grandmother who will be greatly missed by her family and friends.

    She was preceded in death by her husband, Joel, who passed away June 17, 1989 and six brothers and one sister, and her parents.

    Survivors include sons Ronnie (Ellen) GREEN of Rockaway Beach, NY, Don GREEN of San Diego, Calif., and Ed (Charlotte) GASH of Gypsum; a daughter, Wanda (David) THOMPSON of Rifle; 13 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

    Funeral services were held April 29 at First Christian Church in Rifle with Pastor Dene JOHNSON officiating. Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of choice.[1 May 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

  • GAY, Alfred - A party of berry pickers made a ghastly discovery near Mitchell on Tuesday. The badly decomposed body of a man was found in a gulch on Taylor hill about 100 yards above the old railroad grade just this side of Mitchell. Coroner W. H. FARNUM was telegraphed for, and with County Judge TAGUE went to the scene yesterday.

    The body was identified as the remains of Alfred GAY, who was an old resident of Mitchell. On July 17 Mr. GAY bade his brother and friends at Mitchell good bye and left, say he was going to Wheeler to look for work. Since that date Mrs. Emil GAY, his sister-in-law, was informed while in Leadville, that Alfred was at Wheeler. The condition of the body would indicated that the man had been dead a number of weeks.

    Deceaseds coat lay further down the hill near the old railroad grade. The hat found near the body was badly torn and the top of the man's head was completely shattered. Indications were that it was a case of suicide, and that giant powder or a giant cap had been used to accomplish the deed. No money or papers were found on the body.

    Emil GAY, of Mitchell, is a brother of the deceased. Alfred GAY was 46 years of age and unmarried. The funeral will occur today with burial at Red Cliff.(7 September 1899 Eagle County Blade, p. 3)

  • GAY, William A. - William A. GAY, one of the pioneer miners of Red Cliff died at his home at this place early yesterday morning, December 9 [I think this might be a typo and the month should be January], of miners consumption, aged 58 years. Mr. GAY had been failing in health for about two years, but his ailment was not thought to be serious until quite recently. Up to a few weeks ago he was able to perform light work and only last week was able to be out. A recent sever cold hastened his death and during the last few day he was a great sufferer.

    The deceased with Prosper LATEM was interested in the Henriette and other mining claims on Battle mountain and leaves his family comfortably provided for. He was among the early settlers of Red Cliff. Mrs. GAY and seven children survive him. The time of the funeral has not bee announced, as it depends upon word received from deceased relatives in the east who have been communicated with.(10 Jan 1901, Eagle County Blade, p3)

    Return to Top


  • GERARD, Andrew Robert - Andrew GERARD Passed Away At Home In Gypsum Saturday--Was A Leading Citizen Of Eagle County For Forty-Four Years.

    Andrew Robert GERARD was born in Plymouth, Ind., February 11, 1862; died at his home in Gypsum, Colo., at 9:20 p. m., Saturday, March 21, 1931. He was 69 years old February last.

    Andrew GERARD was numbered among the old-timers or pioneers of Eagle county, coming here in 1887, during the time the railroad was under construction between Leadville and Dotsero.

    He was married in Leadville January 6, 1896, to Miss Fannie HANSON of South Carolina, and the couple returned to Gypsum Valley, where they have since made their home. Reticent and incommunicable Andrew GERARD was known to his friends and associates as a man of absolute dependability and sterling integrity. He had successfully served his county and state in various capacities during the intervening years. For many years he held a game wardens commission, and later was for nine years superintendent of the County Farm at Gypsum, from 1906 to 1914.

    After leaving the County Farm, Andy GERARD and his good wife and their sons settled a comfortable home on the outskirts of Gypsum.

    This spring, because f failing health he was unable to attend to his duties as patrolman for the state highway, which position he had held for three years, and he was forced to resign that position. He was recognized locally as the best road man in this section.

    Andrew GERARD leaves to mourn his loss his devoted wife, Fannie, three sons, Loyd, Kenneth and Gerald, all of Gypsum Valley; two sisters and one brother in Indiana, and other more distant relatives. The family has the heartfelt sympathy of the community.

    Services were conducted at the family home in Gypsum by the Rev. Bert a BESSIRE, Methodist minister of Glenwood Springs at 2 p. m., Tuesday, March 24. A male quartet, Messrs. W. H. LEA, E. E. LEA, H. J. HARGIS and A. L. MULNIX, with organ accompaniment by Mrs. HARGIS, rendered two vocal numbers at this service, "Does Jesus Care," and "Abide With Me."

    The body was followed to its last resting place in Cedar Hill cemetery by a large concourse of sorrowing friends, who had congregated from three counties to pay their last respects to the memory of one of the old timers, Andrew R. GERARD.[27 March 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]



    News of the death of Mrs. Fannie Henson GERARD, 81, widow of the late A. R. GERARD, in Grand Junction on Friday, Jan 22, was received with sorrow in the valley.

    Fannie GERARD was one of the hardy women who settled in the Gypsum valley in its early days and helped to build up there a modern community out of the wild wilderness of a mountain section, which is now a paradise of Western Colorado.

    Born in Morganton, NC, Aug 25, 1861, she migrated to Kansas when but a small girl. Later she came to Colorado and in the early '90s went to the Gypsum valley where she met Andrew R. GERARD, and in Jan 1896, they were married in Leadville, Colo., returning to Gypsum to make their home, and where they lived until death took her husband.

    In her active days, Mrs. GERARD was a leader in all affairs of the valley, and a neighbor whom everyone respected and admired and looked to when anyone was in need. Her husband preceded her in death a few years ago. For the past five or six years the deceased had been in poor health, and about four years ago, she and her son Jerry, moved to Grand Junction, hoping the lower altitude would be beneficial. For a time her health did improve, but for several months past she failed fast, and last Friday the end came.

    Mrs. GERARD is survived by two sons, Kenneth of Gypsum valley, and Jerry, who lived with his mother up to the time of her death; one step-son, Loyd GERARD, of Gypsum valley; three sisters - Mrs. Lola M. HIGH, Grand Junction, Colo; Mrs. Mary STAPP, DeBeque, Colo.; and third living in Morganton, NC.; three brothers, all living in Morganton.

    Funeral services were held at the Kinsey Funeral Home in Grand Junction Sunday afternoon at 2:00 o'clock, the Rev Warren S. BAINBRIDGE officiating, and the remains were laid to rest in the Orchard Mesa cemetery at Grand Junction.

    Songs of the rites were "In the Sweet Bye and Bye," and "In the Garden."

    Pallbearers were Jake STEIN, Clint KING, Foster EVANS, Chas. DUNN, George COLLEPS, and Moulton CHAMBERS. (29 Jan 1943, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

    Return to Top


  • GIBSON, George - Rio Grande Wreck - Monday Morning Delays Traffic - One Man Killed - Traffic of all description was tied up on the Rio Grande for about 10 hours last Sunday night and Monday morning.

    One of the engines on an east bound freight died about a mile and a half above Red Cliff and the train was divided; the other engine starting up the hill with the first section intending to return later for the other section of the train.

    The last car on the first section which was loaded with concentrates from the Smuggler mine at Aspen broke loose about 3 miles above the city and came down the canyon at a terrible speed . Conductor KILGORE, who was riding the car at the time it broke lose tried to set the brakes but was not able to do so as they would not take hold. When the car reached the other section of the train it was traveling about 75 miles per hour.

    Conductor KILGORE, after swinging his lantern to warn the rest of the crew who were on the second division made a wild leap for his life, and as the snow was very deep along the track he escaped injury beyond a severe shaking up.

    The car, which was a Rio Grande Western box car, crashed into the first car of the second section, which was also loaded with Smuggler ore, telescoping the two cars into the length of one.

    As the wreck happened just opposite town the cars were run into the Rio Grande yards on their trucks which had not left the track.

    When an examination of the cars was made later on the body of a man was found in the far end of the rear car. He had evidently been beating his way over the road and was in the forward end of one car when the other car ran into them. From the position of the body and the wounds on the head he must have been hurled the length of the car when the impact came striking on his head with such force as to cause instant death.

    A letter which was found on him addressed to George GIBSON, Brighton, Colo. He had checked his grips to that place as the checks were found on him.

    A telegram was received from the wife of the dead man from Vancouver, B. C. with instructions to bury the body here. He was a member of the Mason lodge in Calais, Maine, and the funeral will be held under the auspices of that lodge at Minturn.[11 Feb.. 1909, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • GILBERT, Thomas H. - Thomas H. GILBERT, well known in Eagle county, died at his home in Pueblo, on Saturday, December 21st. In years past Mr. GILBERT was engaged in mining in this district and in Leadville, in the latter district owning considerable valuable mining property at the time of his death. Last fall he visited friends here and also his relative, John Welsh, of Wolcott. En route home at this time he stopped in Leadville and it was while there that he was injured in a runaway accident which finally resulted in his death.

    The Pueblo Chieftain of December 25th has the following concerning the funeral:

    While many were making merry in the preparation for Christmas, sorrow reigned in the home of the late Thomas H. GILBERT, as impressive funeral services were held by Rev. J. Wallis OHL over the body of the well known citizen yesterday afternoon.

    The funeral was private and took place from the family residence, 919 east Evans at 2 o'clock. Interment was in Roselawn.

    The pall bearers were: Messrs. G. J. CRAWFORD, Lee GRAHAM, Frank HAWK, and George EBERNEZ. (26 Dec 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • GILPIN, Joseph Gideon - The death of no man in Eagle county has been more generally mourned than that of Dr. J. G. GILPIN, which occurred at his home in Red Cliff Wednesday, June 30, 1920. Coming to Eagle county with the earliest settlers of this region, he has practiced his profession among our people almost continuously for forty years, and during that time no man who knew him has been anything but his friend. He devoted his life to helping his neighbors, and there was never a night too dark or a day too stormy for Doctor GILPIN to respond to a call from a sick person, either rich or poor. He was the personification of honesty and charity, one of the most conscientious, straightforward men the writer ever knew.

    Joseph Gideon GILPIN was born in Rockville, Md., and received his medical education in the Medical College of Baltimore. He told no man or woman his age, but he was a man past eighty at the time of his death. He served with the Confederate army during the war of the rebellion, and, while in this, as in all other personal matters, he was very reticent, there is no doubt but that he served in the army with credit to himself.

    He came to Red Cliff in the spring of 1881, and practiced his profession for a short time, when he became interested in mining and prospecting and went over on East Lake creek where he prospected for a season or two. Returning to Red Cliff, he again took up his profession. September 20, 1904, he was married to Mrs. KESECKER, at Leadville, Colo., who, together with her children by a former marriage, lives to mourn his death,

    The funeral was held Sunday, July 4, and the remains laid to their last rest in Evergreen cemetery at Red Cliff. The services were conducted by Rev. L. G. HONNOLD, of Eagle, and were attended by one of the largest assemblages of people to attend a funeral in the history of the county, a tribute of the high esteem in which he was held by the people of the county.

    Doctor GILPIN'S death in not only a loss to his immediate family, but a community loss that will be long felt. The Enterprise joins the hundreds of intimate friends in extending sympathy to the family in its bereavement.[9 July 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p5]

  • GILMER, Charles - Word was received from Glenwood Springs Saturday of the death at his home in that city of Charles GILMER. Thus passes away another of the early day residents of Red Cliff and Battle Mountain. The GILMER family came to Bells Camp from Nebraska in the very early days of mining on Battle Mountain and for many years were all prominent in mining and other activities of the community. A younger brother of Charles' was taken in the flu epidemic in 1918, and the latter was the last of the family.

    For several years Mr. GILMER has lived with his family in Glenwood Springs, and for a number of years was connected with the fish and game department of the state, and at the time of his death was a member of the police force in Glenwood. He had been suffering with "miner's" consumption, but had not been confined to his bed but for a week or ten days before his death. He is survived by his wife and a daughter, and they have the sincere sympathy of all Eagle county in their loss of a kind and loving husband and father.[27 Dec. 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • GILMER, Elaine May - Elaine May GILMER was born in New Castle, Colorado, April 24, 1906 and died at the home of her mother, Mrs. George DUMPHY, in Red Cliff, Colo., August 29, 1929.

    When a small child she moved with her parents to Red Cliff, where she attended the public schools and grew to womanhood. In 1925 she was married to Charles GILMER and they continued to live in Red Cliff.

    The deceased was a member of the Neighbor's of Woodcraft at Red Cliff, and was a leader in the Sunday School work of the community.

    Funeral services, in charge of Mortician O. W. MEYER, were held from the GILMER home, August 27, and burial made in Evergreen cemetery in Red Cliff. Rev. A. R. DENNIS, pastor of the M. E. church of Eagle, preached a very touching funeral sermon, while Mesdames NORLANDER and CLEARY sang "The City Four Square" and "List to His Voice," during the services. The casket was banked with beautiful floral offerings sent by loving friends, in appreciation of their respect and admiration of the deceased woman.

    There remain to mourn the loss of the deceased the mother, Mrs. Geo. DUMPHY, two sisters, Mrs. Esther GLEIFORST and Nina BEALS, one brother, George BEALS of Delta, Colo., and the husband.[6 Sept., 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • GILMER, Joseph R. - Joseph R. GILMER died at the family home in Red Cliff last Saturday morning, December 14, 1918, after ten days sickness with influenza. Joe GILMER was one of the early settlers of Eagle county, having come with his parents into Eagle Park in the early eighties, as a mere boy, and has grown to manhood here. He was a native son of Colorado, having been born in Georgetown, we believe and lived practically all his life at Gilman and Red Cliff. He was married and leaves a widow and four children, three daughters and a son to mourn his loss.

    He had an extensive acquaintance over the county, especially among the older residents, and a very wide circle of friends will sincerely regret his death.[20 Dec. 1918, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p 1]

  • GILMER, Richard "Shorty" - A native of the Eagle Valley, Shorty was born in Minturn on Sept. 20, 1944. He attended Battle Mountain High School, and after high school he worked in the family logging business. During the early 1960's Shortly entered the U.S. Navy and was stationed in the Philippines where he worked as an aircraft mechanic.

    He married Sandra TRACY in 1965 upon discharge from the service and settled in Eagle. He was employed by Vail Associates from 1969 - 1985 as a lift mechanic and later as a maintenance supervisor.

    He was preceded in death by his wife, Sandra; his father, Chuck; and two brothers, George and Joe. Survivors include his mother, Helen of Eagle; son David, daughter Amy and Heidi, grandsons Ben and Zac, sisters Bonnie and Etta, brothers Chuck, Ted, Jim and Mitch; and several nieces and nephews.

    Shorty enjoyed being with his family and friends, hunting, and taking drives through the country. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the American Heart Association of Colorado, 1280 S. Parker Rd., Denver, CO

  • GINTHER, Henry - This community received a great shock last Friday when news was brought in that Henry GINTHER had been found dead that morning in the hunting field. From all of the circumstances it is presumed that heart failure caused the death.

    Henry was alone when death overtook him. Together with Harold RANDALL, and Earl YOST, he had gone onto Bellyache Mountain the first morning of the opening of the deer season, hunting. The three men drove the car as far as they could, going in from the Wolcott side of the mountain, and prepared to hunt. They separated, YOST going one way, and Henry and Harold starting out together, and separating farther on. Harold left his companion and from all indications Mr. GINTHER too sick. He had gone back to the car and placed his rifle in it, and apparently had started to walk in - being unable to drive the car I his condition. It was about six o'clock in the morning when the three men separated and at about 10 o'clock Mr. GINTHER's body was found by Johnny COWDEN, Jr., who rides that range for the Red Mountain ranch, a short distance from the car. GINTHER having failed to meet his companions at the appointed spot, they were worried about him and returned to the car about noon hoping to find him there. In the mean time COWDEN had gone for help to care for the body, which arrived from Eagle shortly after. Two hunters driving a car with a Lake county license, arrived on the scene right after COWDEN found the body, but did not offer their services, and drove away. They did not even offer to send help.

    Henry GINTHER had lived in Eagle since 1907 and was one of our most highly respected citizens. While 67 years of age, he was hearty and robust, able to do more work than many men half his age. He had not complained of ill health at any time, and that he had a weak heat was unknown to anyone so far as we can learn.

    Henry GINTHER, son of Henry and Eliza GINTHER, was born in Carroll county, Illinois, September 19, 1873, and passed away October 4, 1940, aged 67 years, 15 days.

    He spent his childhood in Illinois and at the age of 21 went to Minnesota. Here he spent three years, going from there to Iowa and later to Nebraska. He came to Colorado and Eagle county in 1907.

    He was married on December 22, 1909, to Alice Winefred HANSEN of Belvidere, Nebr. To this union were born twelve children, all of whom are living except one, a son, Lawrence Myron, who died as an infant on February 5, 1933. Two granddaughters have also preceded him in death, Alice Marie FAIR, on November 29, 1936, and Nancy Ruth FAIR, on July 17, 1939.

    There survive to mourn his passing the widow and children; Mr. and Mrs. Donald GINTHER and family, Mr. and Mrs. Leonard GINTHER, and family, Mr. and Mrs. Omar GINTHER, Mr. and Mrs. Lester POULSON, Bernard GINTHER, Ruth GINTHER, Julia GINTHER, Vera GINTHER; six grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Joseph HARRIS, of Eagle, and four brothers, George GINTHER of Rochford, Iowa; Charles GINTHER of Chadwick, Ill.; Conrad GINTHER, Thompson, Ill.; William GINTHER. Also several nephews and nieces.

    Funeral services were attended by a large concourse of sorrowing friends and relatives Sunday afternoon being held at the Methodist church, under direction of Funeral Director Paul ANDRE. A brief message was delivered by the pastor, Rev. W. F. CASSELMAN. A male quartet, consisting of E. E. LEA, Chas. STANLEY, Chester MAYER, and Harry ANDRE, sang "Life's Railroad to Heaven," and "It's Well With My Soul." Pall bearers were Harold RANDALL, Roland RANDALL, Earl YOST, James CLARDY, L. D. RANDALL, and Oliver DAVIS. The body was laid to rest in Valley View Cemetery at Eagle.

  • GILPIN, Joseph Gideon - The death of no man in Eagle county has been more generally mourned than that of Dr. J. G. GILPIN, which occurred at his home in Red Cliff Wednesday, June 30, 1920. Coming to Eagle county with the earliest settlers of this region, he has practiced his profession among our people almost continuously for forty years, and during that time no man who knew him has been anything but his friend. He devoted his life to helping his neighbors, and there was never a night too dark or a day too stormy for Doctor GILPIN to respond to a call from a sick person, either rich or poor. He was the personification of honesty and charity, one of the most conscientious, straightforward men the writer ever knew.

    Joseph Gideon GILPIN was born in Rockville, Md., and received his medical education in the Medical College of Baltimore. He told no man or woman his age, but he was a man past eighty at the time of his death. He served with the Confederate army during the war of the rebellion, and, while in this, as in all other personal matters, he was very reticent, there is no doubt but that he served in the army with credit to himself.

    He came to Red Cliff in the spring of 1881, and practiced his profession for a short time, when he became interested in mining and prospecting and went over on East Lake creek where he prospected for a season or two. Returning to Red Cliff, he again took up his profession. September 20, 1904, he was married to Mrs. KESECKER, at Leadville, Colo., who, together with her children by a former marriage, lives to mourn his death,

    The funeral was held Sunday, July 4, and the remains laid to their last rest in Evergreen cemetery at Red Cliff. The services were conducted by Rev. L. G. HONNOLD, of Eagle, and were attended by one of the largest assemblages of people to attend a funeral in the history of the county, a tribute of the high esteem in which he was held by the people of the county.

    Doctor GILPIN'S death in not only a loss to his immediate family, but a community loss that will be long felt. The Enterprise joins the hundreds of intimate friends in extending sympathy to the family in its bereavement.[9 July 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p5]

    Return to Top


      Death of H.W. Gladwin.

      Henry W. Gladwin, a highly respected citizen of Eagle county who resided at Red Cliff, died at Glenwood Springs on July 7th, 1905, of typhoid fever. The funeral was held last Monday at Red Cliff. Interment occurred at Greenwood cemetery.
      July 14, 1905 Eagle Valley Enterprise, p. 4 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

    • GLEASON, Frank - From the Eagle Valley Enterprise.

      Frank GLEASON died as the result of appendicitis on Thursday evening (last week.) He was born March 5the, 1882, thus making his age 20 years, 4 months and 25 days. He had been sick for some time and had suffered great pain with a bravery which won him the sympathy of all. Frank was a boy of great energy and perseverance, was a hard worker and was possessed of an honest, straight forward character which had made him respected by all who knew him.

      The deceased young man leaves a mother, Mrs. Barbara McGUIRE, of Eagle; a grandmother, Mrs. Mary QUIRK, Eagle; a brother, Thomas GLEASON, of Eagle, and other relatives at various places in Colorado.

      Funeral services were held at the Eagle M.E. church Friday afternoon at two o'clock, conducted by Rev. J. W. GORDON. Frank was a member of Eagle Camp, W. W., and the members of camp conducted services at the cemetery.(7 Aug 1902, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    Return to Top


    • GODFREY, Carrie - Mrs. Carrie GODFREY died at a Salida hospital on Friday, February 13, 1908, after suffering for some years with rheumatism.

      Mrs. GODFREY was the widow of the late John GODFREY, a former well known citizen of Red Cliff, who died several years ago. For a number of years Mrs. GODFREY had been in very poor health, much of the time nearly helpless. Only a few days before her death friends prevailed upon her to go the to hospital in the hope of securing relief. Her only known relative is a son residing some where in the east, and between whom and herself there appears to have been an estrangement.

      The funeral and interment occurred at Salida.(20 Feb 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    • GOLDMETZER, George - George GOLDMETZER died at his cabin near Gilman yesterday afternoon about 2 o'clock. Mr. GOLDMETZER was one of the old time miners of Battle mountain had been in ill heath for some time.

      About 2 years ago he became demented and was tried and convicted of insanity in the County court. His disorder was of a mild character and while harmless toward others he was utterly incapable of caring for himself. A few months ago he was released from the asylum and returned to Gilman. He was in feeble health, however, and failed steadily to the end.

      Yesterday D. D. ROBERTS and John CLEATOR went to the cabin for the purpose of bringing, GOLDMETZER to Red Cliff, the board of county commissioners having in contemplation sending him to the county poor farm. When Messrs. ROBERTS and CLEATOR arrived at the cabin they found the man on the floor unconscious. The case was reported at once and County Physician GREENE summoned but GODMETZER died before the physician arrived. County Undertaker GRAHAM took charge of the remains and burial will be at Greenwood Cemetery.

      Deceased was about fifty-five years of age, single, and a native of Germany.(15 Nov 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.8)

    • GOODALE, Olive L.. - Olive L.. GOODALE Minturn Mother of Byron G. (Alice) WALKER, Golden and Glenda (Harry) GARTSIDE, Ponce City, OK; survived by four grandchildren and six great-grandchildren; sister-in-law of Hazel DESCHANE, Tootie WALKER and John KOONS; preceded in death by her husbands, Lynn P WALKER and Harold GOODALE; also survived by many other relatives, friends and beloved students. Service, Chapel, Olinger, 29th at Wadsworth, Saturday 9 a.m. Interment, Glenwood Springs. Memorial Service, Sunday 1 p.m., Minturn Presbyterian Church. Memorials may be made to the Grand Chapter O.E.S. Esteral Education Scholarship or the Presbyterian Parish of Minturn and Red Cliff. Arrangements, Olinger, 29th At Wadsworth. (Rocky Mountain News, Feb. 11, 1994)

    • GOODALL, Louisa - Mrs. Louisa GOODALL died suddenly on Last Friday morning at her home, the Quartzite hotel, in Red Cliff. Up to the morning before her death Mrs. Goodall had been in her usual health. On Thursday morning she arose and at once complained of feeling very ill, and soon retired again. Shortly afterward she lost consciousness. Medical aid was at once summoned, and a consultation of the physicians agreed that there was no hope, the attack being paralysis of the heart. About 11 o'clock Friday morning Mrs. GOODALL expired. Her granddaughter, Miss Josie PLATT, and her niece, Mrs. Voss DISMANT, were with her during her last illness. Deceased was 71 years of age.

      Mrs. GOODALL was a native of Germany, coming to this country when 17 years of age. She resided in the South and in St. Louis until about 1880, when she came to Eagle county. She was twice married, but had been left a widow for over twenty years prior to her death. Only one of five children, Mrs. H. B. PIATT, of St. Louis, survive her.

      Mrs. GOODALL was a pioneer of Eagle county, having located at Holy Cross in the boom days and also at Gold Park, at both of which places she conducted hotels. About 1886 she became proprietress of the Quartzite hotel in Red Cliff, which business she continued to conduct at the time of her death. Notwithstanding her advanced years and almost constant affliction from rheumatism she successfully managed her own affairs and leaves a substantial property to her heirs. Her acquaintance outside of Red Cliff had a wide range and her death will be learned by many, none more so than by those whom she had befriended.

      On Sunday evening, her daughter, Mrs. PIATT, arrived from St. Louis. On Tuesday the remains were shipped to St Louis for interment, a large number of friends gathering at the late residence to pay their last respects and do honor to the passing away of another pioneer.(30 Jan 1902, Eagle County Blade, p. 4)

    • GOODRICH, Mrs. Frances B. - Mrs. Frances B. GOODRICH passed away Monday mourning, August 25, at about 4:30 o'clock. The deceased had been confined to her home by illness for several weeks, but she would not admit that she was seriously ill and had refused to go to a hospital for care. But Saturday neighbors insisted that she be taken to the hospital and was moved to Glenwood that day passing away only a few hours later.

      Mrs. GOODRICH had been a resident of Eagle for more than thirty years, coming here from Indiana for her health, and, when that was regained, remained here to make her home. During those years she has been prominent the social affairs of the community and numbered her friends by the hundred.

      She was a member of the Episcopalian church and Eastern Star chapter at Glenwood Springs, and was very prominent in the activities of both those organizations.

      Funeral services were held under auspices of the Glenwood Eastern Star chapter Wednesday morning at the Farnum Funeral Home.

      After the services at Glenwood the funeral cortege moved to Red Cliff where a brief service was held at the grave as the body was laid to rest beside that of her husband, who passed on many years ago. The deceased was about 71 years of age.

      The funeral services in Glenwood as well as the burial in Red Cliff, was attended by a considerable number of friends of the deceased from Eagle.

      The deceased is survived by her mother, Mrs. Mary BRIDGE, the only near relative living, and who has made her home with her daughter for the past few years. Mrs. BRIDGE is past 93 years of age.{29 August 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GOODRICH, H. W. - Eagle and a large share of Eagle county were shocked Tuesday evening by the news of the death of H. W. GOODRICH.

      Mr. & Mrs. GOODRICH attended the funeral of Mrs. Theo. ROSENBURG in Glenwood Springs, Saturday, April 1st, returning to their home the following day and Mr. GOODRICH immediately took to his bed with what was thought to be only a very bad cold. The following day he seemed much improved and was considered to be well on the road to recovery. On Tuesday afternoon he apparently suffered a relapse and from that time on fought a losing fight, suffering much pain the while. Dr. GREEN, who was in attendance from the first of his illness, pronounced the case typhoid fever, complicated with Grippe and at a consultation with Dr. GILPIN of Red Cliff this opinion was concurred in.

      H. W. GOODRICH was a native of New Hampshire, born Feb. 17, 1845 being sixty-six years of age an exceptionally well preserved man.

      Coming to Red Cliff in 1884, he engaged in mining and prospecting in the Holy Cross district, which, at that time was quite a camp. Later he was employed in the grocery business in Basalt and Red Cliff, remaining several years in each town, eventually moving to Eagle where he continued in the grocery business on up to the time of his death. In 1886, he married Rosa A. RUDD, who died in 1895 and in 1905 he married Francis B. REISTER who still survives him.

      Mr. GOODRICH was one of the early Masons of Eagle county and was a charter member of the Red Cliff lodge, A. F. and A. M., later being one of the organizers and Master of the Eagle lodge of that order during the first two years of its existence. He was an old soldier and a member of the G. A. R., the members of which are regarded with respect and honor throughout this who country.

      Eagle loses one of her foremost citizens, Mr. GOODRICH being a man who had the highest regard of all who knew him, straightforward in business affairs, courteous and kind. He was one of the first trustees after the town was incorporated and worked hard and faithfully in the effort to secure the present excellent system of water works in use in Eagle.

      In politics, Mr. GOODRICH was always a staunch republican being of that persuasion when there were but very few in the whole country.

      Interment was made in the cemetery at Red Cliff, the funeral cortege going up on No. 4 Thursday.

      lArchdeacon DOGGETT of Glenwood Springs delivered the funeral sermon while the services at the grave were in charge of the Masons, the Eagle lodge being assisted by members from other lodges of the county.

      The floral tributes were most profuse and beautiful showing the high esteem in which he was held throughout the community. Probably a larger number of people were in attendance from all over the county than at any funeral held in many years.

      The Blade joins with a host of friends in extending heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved wife and to the daughter, Mrs. F. V. BURBANK of Red Cliff.[14 Apr. 1911, Eagle County Blade, p1]



      Joseph H. GOODRICH who for several years has resided on a ranch a short distance above Minturn on Eagle river, but who was one of the old time miners of the district, died last Friday at the home of his sister at Coalville, near Spokane, Washington.

      Mr. GOODRICH had been in failing health for some time his ailment being the dread disease, miners' consumption. Only recently, however, did he give up his work entirely. Some time since he went to the hospital at Salida, hoping to get relief, but physicians said they could do nothing for him. He later went to Glenwood Springs, where he remained a short time, going from there to Washington. He had been in the latter state but a few days when he died.

      Mr. GOODRICH came to Eagle county nearly twenty five years ago, and was well known. For years he followed mining, but of late has followed ranching as the state of his health demanded out door employment. He was about fifty years of age at the time of his death. Mrs. GOODRICH and son James and a step-daughter, Mrs. Pearl McGOVERN, survive him.

      It is expected that the funeral and burial will occur at Red Cliff, and although the remains have been looked for several days, up to this morning they had not arrived.(27 Sept 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    • GORDON, Cleaburn James - Cleaburn James GORDON passed away peacefully at his home in Gypsum Nov. 13. He was 50.

      "Clebe" was born June 12, 1947 in Glenwood Springs to Celia and Arthur CLEABURN. He was raised in the Gypsum Valley, graduated from Eagle Valley High School in 1966, and served in the U. S. Army from 1967 to 1970.

      In Nov. 27, 1981, he married Suzane KUSEN (Arens).

      GORDON was a heavy equipment operator for many years with B&B excavating and also worked his family farm in Gypsum[sum Valley. He loved his family, the mountains and nature and enjoyed fishing, hunting and shooting sports. He had a great sense of humor and will be remembered for his wit and wisdom.

      A memorial service was held at the Gypsum VFW Hall Nov. 6, with Del DYKE officiating.

      Mr. GORDON is survived by his wife Suzie, son Clebe, mother Celia and many relatives and friends. In lieu of flowers the family would appreciate donations to the Roaring Fork Hospice, 410 20th St., Suite 203, Glenwood Springs, CO 81601.[27 Nov. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise}

    • GORDEN, C. G. - C. G. GORDEN Dies Suddenly. Last night about 8:20 Chas. GORDEN was taken suddenly ill and within a few minutes he was dead. It was at first thought that it was heart trouble; but when the doctor arrived he said death was caused by a broken artery in the brain.

      Mr. GORDEN has been a resident of Eagle county for twelve years and has a host of friends who are sorry to hear of his sudden demise.

      Charles G. GORDEN was born in Galesburg, Illinois, May 8, 1862, died in Eagle, Colorado, March 2, 1916.

      He was married to Miss Chadwick at Tecumseh, Kansas, in 1887 and moved to Leadville, Colorado in 1904, and came to Eagle two years later and has made this his home ever since.

      Besides his wife, Mr. GORDEN leaves one sister to mourn his loss.

      Funeral services will be held tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. and interment will be made in the Eagle cemetery.[3 March 1916, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GORDON, FRED - Fred GORDON was a Suicide - It will be surprising to man people in Eagle County to learn that Fred GORDON, ex-game warden for this district, is dead as a result of a gun-shot wound to the head inflicted by himself. He put his own .44 caliber revolver to his right temple and fired. The bullet passed through his head, taking a slightly upward course. He lived in an unconscious condition until Sunday afternoon, dying at Meeker in a hotel. It is said that he shot himself about three o'clock Friday afternoon.

      He was at Marvine lake in Rio Blanco county collecting fish spawn in company with Sam THOMPSON at the time the tragedy occurred.

      The rumor that he was not a suicide is not true, according to latest advises. He left a letter addressed to his wife in which he gave her all he possessed and requested that he be buried at Marvine lodge, and told of his intention to take his own life. This letter has been confirmed, but his motive in killing himself will always be a mystery. No possible reason for his act can be found.

      He recently lost his position as chief game warden on account of the change in the state administration last fall, Chas. GILMER of Red Cliff having been appointed to succeed him, but he had a position as assistant game warden.

      He was a member of the Elks and the funeral will be conducted by that order at Glenwood.[2 July 1909, Eagle County Enterprise, p1]

      GORDON, Fred - Ex-Game Warden suicides - Fred GORDON Suicides at Marvine Lodge---Cause Unknown - Fred GODSON, until recently Chief Deputy Game Warden, shot and killed himself at Marvine Lodge on Saturday last. He lived until he reached Meeker and expired there without regaining consciousness. A letter was found upon his person indication the intention to take his own life, and leaving his possessions to his wife. The funeral is being held today at Glenwood Springs.[1 July 1909, Eagle County Blade, p1]

    • GORDON, Ida Chadwick Gayhart - Ida CHADWICK was born in Jefferson county, Kansas, December 28, 1860, daughter of Esther and Porter B. CHADWICK, and died in Pueblo, Colo., July 27, 1924.

      The deceased was married to Chas. G. GORDON at Tecumesch, Kan., January 17, 1887. Coming to Colorado a quarter century ago, Mr. and Mrs. GORDON located in Eagle County, and for many years owned and lived on a ranch on West Brush creek, now owned by C. C. COULTER. The deceased was left a widow some eight years ago, and for a time was in business in Eagle, where she conducted a restaurant. She wen back to Kansas and in 1919 was married to Stanley GAYHART, who died a few weeks after the marriage. While living at the home of her sister, Mrs. Hattie A. RUSSELL, in Denver soon after the death of Mr. GAYHART, the deceased was stricken with a malady which afflicted her until her death.

      At the request of the deceased, made before death, the body was brought back to Eagle and laid to rest beside that of her husband, Chas. GORDON. The remains were accompanied on their last sad journey to Eagle by the sister, Mrs. RUSSELL, and were buried here Wednesday. A simple service for the deceased was held at the grave, Prof. E. W. JERRELL performing the last sad rites, and a number of former friends participated in the service.[1 Aug. 1924, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GORDON, Mrs. Al - Mrs. Al GORDON Killed in Auto Accident Sunday. Car Driven By Her Brother Turned Over On Highway Near Glenwood With Fatal Results--Other Occupants Escape Death.

      Mrs. Al GORDON received fatal injuries last Sunday afternoon when the car in which she was riding, driven by her brother, E. L. SMITH, turned over on the highway near the cemetery south of Glenwood Springs.

      SMITH, who is a half-brother of Mrs. GORDON, and Mr. and Mrs. and baby of Glenwood had been out for a Sunday afternoon ride, when the accident occurred on the return toward Glenwood. Mr. SMITH stated that he was driving at a speed of about 40 miles an hour when he met and passed another car. Just after passing the car, a man stepped from the tall grass at the side of the road directly in the path of his car. As he turned the car suddenly to miss hitting the pedestrian, the car skidded and the driver was unable to get it back into control before it turned over. Mr. SMITH was badly bruised and scratched in the smash, but was able to leave the hospital Monday. Mr. SHULTZ who is clerk of the district court of Garfield county, was the most severely injured of the others, but so far his injuries have not proved fatal.

      Mr. and Mrs. GORDON and Mr. SMITH owned and farmed the ranch east of Eagle now owned by Wayne T. JONES for many years. They sold it a few years ago, and Mrs. GORDON and her brother retired to Glenwood where they have since lived.

      Mrs. GORDON'S funeral was held in Glenwood Wednesday afternoon.[20 July 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


    • GRAHAM, Emma Curney - Emma Curney was born in Wisconsin, April 9, 1860; and she died suddenly at her home in Glenwood Springs, Colo., March 4, 1936.

      In 1875, she was united in marriage to Levi FENNO. They moved to Leadville, Colo., in 1883, where the family lived until several years after Mfr. FENNO'S death, which occurred Sept. 29, 1900.

      To Mr. and Mrs. FENNO were born eight children: Louis, Nell, Harris, Elizabeth, Charles, Cora, Bess and George. Bess died in 1919, but the others are all living.

      In 1910, Mrs. FENNO purchased a ranch on Squaw creek, in this county, where she lived until she sold it in 1924, and moved to Glenwood Springs, where she made her home until her death.

      December 3, 1914, the deceased was married to Thomas GRAHAM, who preceded her in death by one year.

      Mrs. GRAHAM leaves to mourn her death four sons, three daughters, numerous grand children, several great grand children, and a host of sorrowing friends.

      Funeral services were held at the Burdge mortuary in Glenwood at two o'clock Sunday afternoon. After the services the body was laid to rest in Rosebud cemetery beside that of her recently departed husband.[13 Mar. 1936, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GRAHAM, L. C. - A tragedy, which left the people of the town of Minturn and vicinity stunned, occurred Sunday evening when Claire GRAHAM was killed at his home in Minturn in what was thought at first to have been a suicide.

      Mr. GRAHAM, one of the oldest locomotive engineers in point of service working for the Rio Grande railroad out of Minturn, was called to pull a train on the Tennessee pass returned off the run at about seven o'clock in the evening. He had had his dinner, and his wife and stepdaughter left him at home while they went out for the evening.

      The daughter, Mrs. Dorothy MAHONEY, was the first to arrive home and when she entered the house discovered Mr. GRAHAM sitting in his favorite reading chair in the living room of the home, dead. A .22 caliber rifle was resting between his knees, and there was a bullet hole in his forehead.

      Mr. GRAHAM had not been in the best of health for some months and the conclusion was at once drawn that he had become despondent and ended his life rather than face a future of ill health. His finances were in splendid shape, he had a pleasant home life, and after more sober thought, the idea that Clair GRAAM took his own life does not make sense, and after much careful consideration of the circumstances, it has been decided that his death was an accident, rather than premeditated. He owned a number of fire arms of which he took great care, and it is presumed he had taken this gun from the rack and was caring for it, when it was in some manner never to be known discharged as he was peering down its muzzle.

      A coroner's inquest was held Tuesday afternoon, and the jury brought in the following finding, after a lengthy hearing; "We the undersigned jurors find that L.C. GRAHAM came to his death in his home in Minturn, Colo., by the accidental discharge of his .22 caliber rifle, in his own hands." Signed - R. S. COVALT, Ralph MEYER, R.A. COLLINS, O.J. TIPTON, James SMALICH, A.E. McDOLE.

      Mr. GRAHAM was between fifty and sixty years of age and had worked for the D. & R. G. W. railroad and lived in Minturn for over thirty years. He was one of Minturn's leading citizens, taking an active part in anything he though was for the town's good, and there is no resident of the town who had more friends or was more highly respected than Claire GRAHAM. He had served as mayor of the town, on the board of trustees, as a member of the school board, and was an active member of the Masonic lodge.

      funeral services in charge of Masonic lodge No. 43, will be held in Minturn today, Friday, at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

    • GRAHAM, Mary Emma - Mrs. A. F. GRAHAM, mother of County Superintendent of Schools Ollie G. MEYER, passed away at her home in Red Cliff last Saturday morning. While Mrs. GRAHAM had been in very poor health for some time; her death came very sudden and unexpectedly.

      The deceased was the wife of one of Red Cliff's earliest pioneers, who survives. She was a most estimable and lovable woman and her death is regretted by many close friends. The funeral services were held Wednesday.[2 Dec. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GRANT, Dale F. - Former Eagle County Commissioner, Dale F. GRANT 81, Died Feb 18, at Aspen Valley Hospital.

      GRANT, who served as commissioner from 1975 to 1982, was the only commissioner elected from the Basal-El Jebel area in the last 25 years.

      While GRANT was on the board, the county underwent a number of land use changes that transformed the county from a series of rural communities into a major resort center.

      GRANT was involved in the approval of the Beaver Creek and Arrowhead resorts as well as the initial hearings on the proposed Adam's Rib recreation area.

      A democrat, GRANT was known for his fiscal conservatism. He spent many extra hours working with county department heads and staff members to research and understand the issues. He was known for never wavering from his integrity.

      In the years after his retirement, GRANT continued to take an interest in county issues. He remained active in the Democratic party and continued to monitor growth issues in the Basalt-El Jabel area. He was a supporter of the proposed incorporation of El Jebel, arguing that people have a right to their own destiny. Grant was born in Grand Junction on Nov 15, 1912, to Earl and Hazel English GRANT, and he attended schools in Grand Junction and Basalt.

      On Sept. 8, 1932, he married Aloha M. BOGUE in Glenwood Springs. The GRANTS had lived in Basalt for more than 50 years at the time of his death.

      During World War II, GRANT helped construct runways in the Galapagos Islands, and served in the Marine Corps from 1941 to 1944.

      GRANT owned and operated several businesses in the Basalt and Aspen area, including Grant and Company Plumbing and Heating in Aspen.

      He was a member of the Aspen Branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints, where he served as a high priest group leader.

      He is survived by his wife; a son and daughter-in-law, Ray and Lennie GRANT of Lettleton; a daughter and son-in-law, Virginia and Lowell BAIR of Basalt; a brother, Edward GRANT of Gonvick, Minn.; nine grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.

      Services were held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Glenwood Springs. Burial was in Basalt.

    • GRANT, Earl - Death of Earl GRANT Had Been Investigated.

      Since the death of Earl GRANT of Basalt by drowning in the Frying Pan river on the evening of July 3, while on a holiday week-end fishing trip with his family and others there has appeared several intimations that he was murdered, in newspapers outside this county, and that no investigation of the death had been made by officials.

      In Tuesday's Leadville Herald Democrat, under a Grand Junction date line, appeared such a news story. This article says in part "Earl GRANT . . .When his body was found an injury on his forehead was examined and pronounced severe enough to have caused death ands there was no water in his lungs according to physician's and coroner's examinations.. . . He is believed to have been robbed and murdered, but thus far no steps have been taken to discover his murderer."

      The drowning occurred Sunday evening and the body was found sometime Monday forenoon. County commissioner SLOSS was one of the leaders in the search for the missing man and helped remove the body from the water, found some distance below the spot where GRANT was last seen sitting on a rock by Mrs. Fay EISWERTH, a member of the party. Sheriff WILSON or District Attorney LUBY knew nothing of the affair until Mr. SLOSS told Mr. WILSON Tuesday when he came to Eagle to attend the commissioners' meeting, although he had notified the coroner. The sheriff went to Basalt and made a thorough investigation of the death, and Mr. LUBY later questioned Mrs. GRANT and other members of the party. Mrs. GRANT and the others of the party did not think her husband had met with foul play. He carried his money--which she said could not have been more than $25 or $30, a considerable part of which was in checks--in a large bill fold in his hip pocket, and not in the front pocket which it is stated was turned wrong side out when the body was found. The coroner's investigation found water in the lungs, and careful examination of the reported abrasions on the head revealed that they could not have been fatal. Mortician W. H. FARNUM, who cared for body and prepared it for burial, made an examination of these head wounds and is positive in a statement that they were not serious. There is of course, a bare possibility that Mr. GRANT might have met with foul play, but the case had been investigated thoroughly, the quoted news item to the contrary notwithstanding, and no evidence of such can be found.[5 Aug. 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GRAVESTOCK, George - George GRAVESTOCK, one of the old time residents on Battle mountain, met death sometime Monday afternoon, when his Ford coupe, in which he was driving alone, went off the highway on the west end of Battle mountain and plunged nearly three hundred feet down the hill.

      No one was the accident, and as Mr. GRAVESTOCK was dead when discovered Tuesday, there is no one to tell how it occurred.

      Mr. GRAVESTOCK had recently purchased a new car, and was inexperienced in driving and was very nervous in handling it. Monday he drove down to Eagle to attend to some business at the bank. In a conversation with the reporter while in town, he stated that he had had quite a time driving to Eagle, and was so badly scared that he welcomed a chance passenger near Wolcott who drove the car the remainder of the way in. He left for home shortly after noon. No one remembers having seen him later, and the tragedy must have occurred between two and three o'clock that afternoon. The accident occurred about one and one-half miles west of Gilman, on a sharp curve a short distance above Tow Mack Gulch. The car landed in slide rock in a position where it was not readily seen from the highway above, and probably 100 cars passed the spot before it was seen. Frank THORP of Eagle, while riding over the hill with a companion driving, was looking down the mountain side when he discovered the wrecked car, at about 12:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. He reported the matter in Gilman, and a party of men headed by Ed LONG went to the scene to investigate. They found Mr. GRAVESTOCK'S body lying out of the car and in front of it. Apparently death had been instant. His scull was fractured and many bones of his body broken.

      Coroner and Mortician O. W. MEYER of Red Cliff was notified, and he took charge of the body. He notified a sister, Mrs. Jennie BAKER, of 1111 So. First Street , Canon City, who instructed Mr. MEYER to ship the body to that city for burial. The remains were shipped to Canon City Wednesday evening on train No. 16.

      George GRAVESTOCK had been a resident of Bell's Camp on Battle mountain for more than thirty years, was liked by everyone in that vicinity, and probably did not have an enemy in the world. For several years past he has been in the employ of the Empire Zinc company as a night watchman of the property at Bells Camp. He was sixty-one years of age.[29 Aug. 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GREEN, Arthur - Arthur GREEN, a young man well known in the lower part of the county, died at Albuquerque, New Mexico, last Thursday. The body was brought to Leadville, where relatives reside, for interment, and the funeral occurred on Tuesday.

      Arthur GREEN was a member of Company F, First Colorado Volunteer infantry, and served through a campaign in the Philippine Islands. While in the Philippines he suffered a sever attack of smallpox, but recovered and saw much service. His comrades in the army give him a good record as a soldier, and he served out his enlistment and was honorably discharged.

      His parents formerly resided on Sweetwater creek, in this county, but recently removed to Leadville. Deceased only left Leadville about a month ago. The Blade is not informed as to the nature of his illness, but he was sick only a few days and died suddenly.(19 Feb 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    • GREEN, Arthur Bertram - Wednesday evening shortly after nine o'clock little Bertram GREEN passed away.

      Arthur Bertram GREEN was born June 22, 1911 and died at his home in Eagle September 13, 1916 at the age of 5 years, 2 months and 21 days. He was a strong happy baby until the fall of 1911 when he was taken very ill. Everything was done for him that could be done but of no avail. In hopes that Dr. COCHEM of Salida might help him he was taken there and kept under that doctor's care for several weeks. Nothing could cure him and he was finally brought back to their home in Eagle where he has been surrounded with the best of care. Last Sunday evening his condition changed and he grew rapidly worse. Tuesday night he fell asleep and remained in that state until Wednesday evening, which without waking he peacefully passed on to the other world.

      Funeral services were held at their house by Rev. B. F. ROSS Thursday afternoon and the little body was laid to rest in the family lot in the Gypsum cemetery.

      The ones who will feel his loss the most are his grandmother, mother, father and brother. These are the ones who have been most closely associated with him.[15 Sept. 1916, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

    • GREEN, Ellery A. - From the Enterprise.

      This morning about ten o'clock Ellery A. GREEN of this place passed peacefully away at his home, after a lingering illness.

      Mr. GREEN came to this county with his family several years ago for the benefit of his health, but at no time in late years has he been well. The many friends of Mr. GREEN hoped for his recovery but their wish to was not to be granted. A bad case of tuberculosis had developed, finally resulting in his death.

      The deceased leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss besides a host of friends in the valley.

      The funeral will likely be held from the church Sunday afternoon. Interment will be made in Eagle Cemetery. (30 Jan 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    • GREEN, Ethel V. - Ethel V. GREEN died Feb. 16 at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs.

      She was born May 6, 1922 in Englewood, Colo., the daughter of Edward and Helen (GARDNER) HAYS.

      She was raised and educated in Weldona, Colo., and married Adam HAMBURG. The couple was later divorced. She married James F. GREEN in May 1955 in Rexburg, Idaho. He preceded her in death in 1978.

      She worked as head housekeeper at the East Morgan County Hospital until she retired in 1985. She moved to Gypsum in January to be with her daughter, Carol BERAN. Ethel enjoyed fishing and playing cards.

      Survivors include sons Richard HAMBURG of California, Ron HAMBURG of Rexburg, Idaho. Edwards HAMBURG of Ft. Morgan, Colo., her daughter, Carol BERAN of Gypsum, and the extended family of Barb and Tom FURRER, also of Gypsum; 14 grandchildren. She was preceded in death by an infant daughter.

      Memorial services were held Feb. 19 at the Edwards Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Rick REEVES officiated, and cremation has taken place. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements. (Eagle Valley Enterprise)

    • GREEN, Perie Hockett - The announcement Thursday morning of the death during the night of Mrs. John B. GREEN at her home in Gypsum, was a sad shock to the citizens of this community; very few of whom even knew that she was sick. Death was caused by heart disease with which the deceased had been afflicted for a number of years.

      The funeral services will be held at Gypsum today, Friday, at 2 o'clock p.m.[4 mar. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1

    • GREENE, Dr. J. L. - The news at the death of Dr. J. L. GREENE at the Red Cross hospital at Salida last Sunday spread a mantle of grief over the entire community and country.

      Dr. GREENE, accompanied by Mrs. GREENE, went to the hospital for a minor operation several weeks ago, having the operation performed after a two weeks rest. The operation itself was very successful, but his old trouble, bronchitis, induced pneumonia, after which he failed very rapidly, and Dr. GREENE, who was loved and revered by every family in Eagle and the vicinity, passed to his great reward at the advanced age of 83 years 8 months.

      No death has ever caused as universal grief in Eagle as has that of Dr. GREENE and Mrs. GREENE has the deepest sympathy of all of us.

      Interment was made in the Salida cemetery Tuesday afternoon, the Masonic lodge conducting the services. Mrs. GREENE has returned to Eagle and will continue to make her home here. We will publish an obituary in our next issue.[11 Aug. 1922, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GREINER, Dorothea - With the death of Dorothea GREINER at her home in Eagle Tuesday afternoon, February 21, passed one of the noblest souls of Colorado, one of the state's staunchest pioneers and Eagle county lost one of her most beloved and respected women.

      That her last days should have been passed in so much suffering is to be sadly regretted, but her noble spirit fought bravely against giving up its earthly mold to the last, never for one moment thinking but that she would recover her health again and resume her activities for the schools of the county, a work in which she took great delight.

      Dorothea McMILLEN was born of pioneer stock in Coolville, Athens county, Ohio, January 21, 1861. While a small child her parents moved to the state of Kansas, she accompanying them. While she was in the first blossom of womanhood, the family, drawn by the lure of the mines of the mountains, came to Colorado. In 1880 Dorothea first came to Red Cliff, young healthy and full of life, well educated, she fell at once into the life of the mining camp, then in the flush of excitement of its first year. This was then a part of Summit county, and schools or other civic organizations had not yet been formed. But that year, with the coming of many families with children, the first school was organized in what was to soon afterward become Eagle county, at Red Cliff, and the talented Miss MCMILLAN elected to teach it. Thus she started education in this county, and nearly fifty years later lied in the harness, as superintendent of our county school system.

      In 1881 the deceased was wooed and won in marriage by William GREINER, then a dashing young miner of the boom mining camp, and the couple was destined to become prominent in every phase of the growth of the new country in which they had cast their lot. William GREINER made one of the famous strikes of the early days of the camp on Horn Silver mountain--the mountain, if we mistake not, taking its name from the character of the silver ore that was discover there by GREINER. The strike was a famous one in the annals of the camp, and netted the owner a considerable fortune, which however, did not last long. During these days of prospecting through the mountains following his marriage, Mr. GREINER was constantly accompanied by his bride, no matter how rough the country penetrated or the hardships to be encountered. Mrs. GREINER was a pioneer from first to last and the romance of the life her husband led in those early days appealed strongly to her.

      Later he was elected sheriff of the county, being ably aided in his campaign for the election by his talented wife. In fact, during her husband's life she was always at his side, through stress of misfortune or strife, through happiness and fortune, a true help mate in every sense.

      While occupied with the more serious problems of life, the young couple found time to be the center of all social affairs of the early days of the thriving mining camp and no function was a success without their leadership and participation.<>p>One child, a daughter, was born to this couple, who died at the blossoming of womanhood, when but 18 years of age. Mrs. GREINERS husband also preceded her in death, having died in 1912, being at that time marshal of the town of Red Cliff.

      In 1924, Mrs. GREINER was nominated by the Republican party as its candidate for county superintendent of schools, and was elected by a large majority. Again in 1926, she was re-elected, and was serving in that position when death laid its claim.

      Several months ago she began to fail in health, and was stricken with a malady which gradually ate her life away, and finally conquered her indomitable spirit. During the past months, bedfast most of the time, she put up a brave fight against the grim reaper, and never gave up that the end was near and each day attended to the routine office duties of her position from her bed of suffering. With out question one of less determination and of weaker will power would have given up and passed on months before did this splendid woman.

      Of the immediate relatives there are left to mourn her death only the two sisters, Mrs. M. J. HENRY, residing in Kansas City, Mo., and Mrs. Elizabeth DaLEE. The latter was with her beloved sister constantly during her last illness, and, with her son, Richard, devotedly cared for her during the last hours and days of suffering.

      The history of Eagle county will not be complete without the life of Mrs. Dora GREINER between the covers for the two are one and inseparable over a period of nearly one-half century.

      The body was prepared for burial by Mortician O. W. MEYER of Red Cliff. Simple services were held in Eagle by Rev. A. R. DENNIS Wednesday afternoon, following which the remains were placed on train No. 16 to be taken to Red Cliff to be buried beside the bodies of her beloved husband and daughter.

      Funeral services will be held in Red Cliff this Friday afternoon.[24 February 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GREINER, Nellie -This community has been again saddened, and one of its prominent families plunged into unspeakable grief by the death, on March 27, of Miss Nellie GREINER, only child of Mr. and Mrs. William GREINER.

      Several times during recent years Nellie had suffered from attacks of inflammatory rheumatism in a very sever form. A few weeks ago she was prostrated by one of these attacks, and later contracted pneumonia as well. The best medical attendance was secured, and the devoted care her parents and relatives was bestowed, and for many days the young lady hovered very near to death, rallying at intervals. Finally it was evident she could not recover here and as a last resort she was removed to Glenwood Springs about one week before death. For a time there was an improvement in her condition and hope revived, but this was suddenly dashed from her devoted relatives and friends by her demise on the date mentioned.

      Nellie GEINER was born in Red Cliff on April 10, 1882, and had grown to womanhood in this community. Hers was a buoyant spirit and affectionate nature - the idol of her parents, yet dutiful and unspoiled, the light of the household has been extinguished and an entire community mourns with the bereaved. Generous, and thoughtful of others, she was light hearted and sympathetic, always bringing cheer to her associates, her loss will be keenly felt out of the home as well as in it. Mr. and Mrs. GREINER's grief cannot be realized, but a wide circle of friends extend to them their heartfelt condolence.

      Nellie was a valuable member of the Red Cliff Dramatic club, and members of the club took complete charge of some of the details of the funeral. The pallbearers were selected from the gentlemen members of the club, and the floral offering were arranged under the direction of the members. The services were held Sunday afternoon in the opera house, and was one of the most impressive scenes ever witnessed in Red Cliff. The building would not accommodate all who were there, many from long distances, to honor the memory of she who in life had won their admiration, and to extend evidence of sincere esteem for her relatives. The bier rested under a large arch decorated profusely with roses, lilies of the valley, and other delicate and beautiful flowers, strikingly emblematic of one who loved and cherished them in life.

      Rev. Owen OMSTED delivered the address, the entire assemblage sharing in the emotion which he plainly felt. The interment at Greenwood cemetery closed the grave over one whose memory will not be soon or easily effaced.(4 Apr 1901, Eagle County Blade, p. 3)

    • GREINER, Wm. - Death came to Wm. GREINER at his home in Red Cliff last Tuesday. He was about 60 years of age and came to Eagle county in 1880, being one of the first settlers at Red Cliff.

      The funeral was held at Red Cliff yesterday afternoon and was attended by many old friends of the deceased from various sections of the county. Interment was made in Red Cliff cemetery.[13 Sept. 1912, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GREVE, Lloyd A. - LLoyd A. Greve

      Lloyd A. Greve, 81, died July 28 in Grand Junction.

      He was born March 11, 1918 in Oak Creek, Colo. to John Adolph and Myrtle (Utter) Greve.

      He married Johnnie (Clark) Greve Sept. 15, 1946 in Eagle, Colo.

      He was a theater owner in Eagle, Minturn, Carbondale and Leadville until his retirement. He has lived in Grand Junction for the past ten years and enjoyed camping, bowling, bridge and pinochle.

      He was preceded in death by his parents.

      He is survived by his wife, Johnnie Greve, Grand Junction; daughters Connie Lynne Bunton, Lake George and Karen Sue Greve, Cripple Creek; and grandchildren Kristopher B. Doll, Denver; Billy J. Greve, Denver; and Callie Bunton, Lake George.

      Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of Grand Junction, Colorado P.O. Box 60307, Grand Junction, CO 81506.

      Arrangements were handled by Callahan-Edfast Mortuary in Grand Junction.


      Former Eagle Physician and Partner of Hadley Died Very Suddenly

      Through her sister, whose home is in Oakdale, Calif., Mrs. J. L. GREENE of this city this week learned of the death of Dr. Jesse A. GRIFFIN, formerly a practicing physician in Eagle and at one time a partner of Dr. W. A. HADLEY, executed two or three weeks ago in Richmond, Va., for the murder of his wife.

      At the time of his death, Dr. GRIFFIN was practicing his profession in Huntington Beach, Calif. He had been in comparatively good health, waiting on his patients the day before his death. He retired that night with no complaint of feeling anything but well and was discovered by his wife the next morning to be dead in bed, having apparently phased out quietly during the night.

      Dr. GRIFFIN was one of the first to volunteer his professional services to the county after the United States entered the World war, being stationed at a camp in Georgia a short time before going over seas. He was commissioned a captain and later a surgeon in the army medical service, for a year being in charge of one of the base hospitals in France. He served for a time with the American hospital at Cobienz. He remained with the army until about a year ago, being stationed in southern camps after returning to this county from France Death was caused by heart disease, super induced by an attack of influenza which the doctor suffered while in the army. On the ship that carried him to France, influenza in its most malignant form appeared and only seven survived the epidemic. Dr. GRIFFIN was among those taken ill, though he recovered sufficiently to go on with his duties.

      Doctor GRIFFIN was involved in the fictitious "confession" made by Doctor HADLEY when the latter was apprehended for the murder of his wife, and put on trial for his life in Richmond, Virginia. HADLEY purported to have shot and killed GRIFFIN just prior to murdering h9s wife, alleging that GRIFFIN was to blame for much of his domestic trouble. However, Dr. GRIFFIN was in France at the time the tragedy took place, and had not seen his former partner since the two parted company in Eagle in 1915.

      Dr. GRIFFIN and his wife have many friends in Eagle made during their comparatively short residence here, who will regret to learn of his death. (Eagle Valley Enterprise, 30 Dec 1921, p. 1)

    • GRITMAKER, Frank - Another of the old timers of Battle mountain has passed to his reward in the death of Frank GRITMAKER, who died at the home of his sister, Mrs. Emma MAUGHAN, in Golden, Colo., December 11. Mr. GRITMAKER was in charge of the Cheeseman and Clayton mining properties on Battle Mountain until the last of them were sold to the Empire Zinc interests, from 1883 to 1913, when he went to Golden to live. He lived in Bell's Camp most of the time while on Battle mountain.[21 Dec. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GROH, Frank - Western Colorado lost one of its earliest pioneers and, until his death, probably the oldest living pioneer of Eagle county, when Frank Groh died at a Glenwood hospital last Friday, April 17.

      Mr. Groh was born at Grosse Isle, Mich., August 22, 1858, and at the of 19, in 1877, came to Leadville. He became a teamster, hauling ore from the Tin Cup mine to the smelter in Leadville, and for a time was a freighter between Leadville and Aspen over Haggerman pass, before the railroad reached the later mining camp. He had a good memory and his tales of experiences of those days were most interesting. He made occasional trips to his old Michigan home, and then in 1879 he went into Routt county where he was employed for a time with a cattle company. Shortly afterward he came to Eagle county, taking land near McCoy and engaged in the cattle business on his own account. For many years he was one of the leading cowmen of northwestern Eagle county, until his retirement a few years ago. He made McCoy his home continuously from that time. For the past four years he has spent the winters in Eagle, but each summer returned to McCoy near the scene of the most active and happy years of his life. For the past two years he has been in failing health, and a few weeks ago it was decided best to remove him to a hospital in Glenwood, where he passed away from a heart stroke.

      November 29, 1890 he was united in marriage to Mary SHIDLER of McCoy. This was a very happy union, and the death of his beloved helpmate some twenty-odd years ago, was a severe blow to Mr. Groh. To this union three children were born. One daughter, Mrs. Olive BROOKS of Eagle; two sons, Harry Groh, a merchant at McCoy, and frank Groh, of Tucson, Ariz. Two grand daughters, Mrs. Winifred LEWIS and Helen BROOKS, of Eagle, two great grandchildren, Diane and Douglas LEWIS also survive the deceased.

      Funeral service were conducted from the McCoy Community church at 2:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon, with Dr. O. Franklin ARCHER, pastor of the Eagle Methodist church, delivering the funeral discourse. A large concourse gathered to pay their last respect to a beloved neighbor and friend. The body was laid to rest in the McCoy cemetery, beside the body of his beloved wife.

    • GRUBER, Jno R. - Jno. R. GRUBER, who had been staying at the home of Jos. TUYLS, at Burns, died last Wednesday afternoon while on route to Eagle in Albert NORMAN'S car.

      GRUBER who was only seventeen years old, was afflicted with tuberculosis, and, accompanied by his father, Robert M. GRUBER, of Frontenac, Kan., was spending the summer in Colorado for his health. They had been at Burns only a short time, when the young man's condition became so serious that his father decided to take him to the Sanitarium at Glenwood Springs for medical treatment, and they were on their way to Eagle to catch a train. He became worse on the road, and death overtook him seven miles from town.

      Undertaker Wm. H. FARNUM came up from Glenwood and prepared the body for burial and shipment, and Thursday mourning the father started back to their home in Kansas with the remains.[11 Oct. 1918, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

    • GRUNDEL, Fred - Pioneer of Leadville and Gypsum Passes Away Saturday Morning - Was a Picturesque Figure in Early Days of This Country.

      Following months of severe illness A. F. GRUNDEL, pioneer citizen of Leadville and Gypsum valley passed away at the home of his niece, Miss Hilma GRUNDEL, in Gypsum last Saturday morning, December 3. Mr. GRUNDEL would have been 73 years of age next March. For several years Mr. GRUNDEL had been a sufferer with a chronic aliment and last spring he was stricken with paralysis, and for weeks he hovered between life and death. He rallied a few weeks ago visited friends in Leadville and went from there to Denver for treatment. Later he returned home and was at once confined to his bed from which he never rose.

      A native of Sweden, Mr. GRUNDEL came to the United States when a youth and took up his residence in Leadville in 1878, where he became one of the leading and progressive citizens, being honored many times by positions of trust and honor by his fellow citizens. His brother, August came to Eagle county in the early day and in conjunction with the deceased owned one of the big ranches in Gypsum Valley. When Fred retired from business in Leadville about 17 years ago he came to the ranch which he and his brother conducted until they sold it some nine or ten years ago. At the time of the sale, it was the biggest single ranch deal ever made in the county.

      In speaking of Mr. GRUNDEL's death the Leadville Herald Democrat of last Sunday had the following character sketch:

      "The figure of Fed GRUNDEL has not often been seen on Leadville streets within the past few years, but when his old friends have greeted him when he occasionally came up from his home in Gypsum, they was a feeble man walking with halting gait, evidently suffering from deep-seated illness, but whose handshake was hearty and whose smile was a genial as ever.

      But in an earlier day, Fred GRUNDEL was a more familiar figure here. An active business man, a busy public official and an enterprising and public spirited citizen, he played a not inconspicuous part in the life of the community.

      "The record say that Fred GRUNDEL came to Leadville in 1878 and that he engaged in mining here. He grubstaked many a prospector and in several instances at least, these brought him fair financial returns.

      "The story of his life, however, is clustered about the old Pioneer, which had become almost a land mark in the early eighties, When fire destroyed the Pioneer and many other buildings, GRUNDEL built the new Pioneer, a famous resort and showplace for the tourists, over which Fred presided, and maintained it as one of the most orderly and well conducted business houses in the city. Fred saw no disgrace in being a saloonkeeper, so long as he was on the square and treated his patrons right.

      "He was so well thought of in his own ward that term after term he was elected a member of the city council and served the community faithfully.

      "Fred GRUNDEL possessed two excellent qualifications for getting on in this world--a clear head and a warm heart. During his terms in the city council he always was noted for the soundness of his views and the practical character of his efforts to serve the whole community.

      "When his brother, August GRUNDEL, in the early days established himself on his ranch at Gypsum, Fred also invested considerable money there in high-grade cattle, and in his later years the two brothers and their families lived on the ranch.

      "When he made his home there, seventeen years ago, old Leadville friends and acquaintances, stopping in Gypsum, often made it a point to visit Fred. 'If I'd know a man is from Leadville and he visits the ranch, there is always a room for him and a place at the table, and it will never cost him a cent.'

      When Fred was running the Pioneer, many instances are related which demonstrated the warmth and generosity of his heart. One winter Leadville suffered a severe depression in the mining industry and there were many men out of employment here. When down-and-out, the saloon is often the place where a man seeks warmth and shelter, and Fred made his place a 'poor man's club' indeed. He served what the old-timer knows as a free lunch, a far more generous free lunch, however than the little pickings of rye bread and cheese or a hot-dog which sometimes is referred to by that name. Fred had a cauldron of soup, great cuts of roast meet, with generous servings of bread and potatoes. A huge schooner of beer that cost a nickel was the 'Open Sesame' to the lunch counter, and all that winter this banquet was liberally patronized, and undoubtedly hundreds of men out of a job were enabled to keep body and soul together at Fred's open house, and at night, the rows of chairs in the big pool room were lined with 'sleepers'.

      "This was Fred's idea of charity, and he did it as a matter of course. 'The poor devils have got to eat,' he said.

      "After selling out his business here, GRUNDEL went to the ranch at Gypsum, where later his faithful and devoted wife died, and following her, his brother, August passed away leaving him alone-and lonely. He sold the old place and made a trip to the homeland, Sweden, returning, however, to Colorado, and again resuming his residence in Gypsum. He was elected mayor of that town, and just a few years ago was chosen as justice of the peace."

      Funeral services were held in Leadville Monday afternoon at 2 ;30 o'clock at the Moynahan-O'Malia mortuary, the Leadville lodge of Elks, of which he was a life member, being in charge of the services.

      Hymns sung by Mrs. R. H. McKENZIE and Mrs. Frank E. BROWN, accompanied by Mrs. Catherine DICE, were "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere," "One Fleeting Hour," and "The Vacant Chair."

      Pallbearers included Former Governor Jesse F. McDONALD, John W. MCMAHON, George CASEY, Joseph W. CLARKE, Arthur JONES and Jack DALTON. Interment was in the family plot in Evergreen cemetery in Leadville.

      He is survived by two nephews and tow nieces, all of whom live in Gypsum and all of whom were present at the funeral. They are, H. F. LARSON and will GRUNDEL and Miss Hilma A. GRUNDEL, with whom Mr. GRUNDEL made his home during the last years of his life, and Mrs. H. D. DAVENPORT, three sisters living in Sweden, Mr. GRUNDEL's native land, also survive.

      Well liked and respected by everyone, Fred GRUNDEL was a citizen who will be missed in the community where he made his home. Loyal to the core to his adopted country, to his home community; a man who never forgot his friends, charitable to a lavish extent, he has surely earned a reward in the life of the Great Beyond, where his kindly soul has gone.[ 9 Dec. 1927 Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GRUNDEL, A. W. - The communities of Gypsum and Eagle were shocked yesterday, Thursday, morning by the news of the death of A. W. GRUNDEL at his home in Gypsum at 3 o'clock that morning. Complication of a lung trouble was given as the cause of his death.

      The remains will be laid in their final rest in the Evergreen cemetery, the time of burial had not been announced yet at the time the Enterprise went to press.

      Mr. GRUNDEL was one of the earliest pioneers of Colorado and the Gypsum valley and at the time of his death was actively interested in business at Gypsum. He is survived by a brother, A. F. GRUNDEL, and his immediate family.[19 Jan. 1923, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    • GRUNDEL, Mrs. A. W. -Mrs. A. W. GRUNDEL, wife of A. W. GRUNDEL of Gypsum, died last Sunday evening at St. Anthony's hospital in Denver.

      Some time ago Mrs. GRUNDEL became ill with appendicitis and was taken to the hospital where she underwent an operation from which she did not recover.

      Mrs. GRUNDEL was held in high esteem at her home at Gypsum, and her husband and family have the sympathy of many friends. The funeral occurred yesterday at Leadville with interment also at that place.(22 Sep 1904, Eagle County Blade, p. 8)


      • GUENNON, George - George GUENNON, Long time resident of Bruce Creek near Eagle died in Colorado General Hospital in Denver Wednesday following a short illness.

        His great niece, Mrs. Pat SATTERFIELD of Avon took him to Denver Tuesday for medical attention, and his was hospitalized. Death came a few hours after. Funeral arrangements are pending.

      • GULDEN, Elias G. - On Sunday Sheriff Frank FARNUM received a telegram from Superintendent BUSSEY, of the state insane asylum, saying that Elias G. GULDEN had died at the institution. GULDEN was convicted of insanity in the County Court here on June 13the as recorded in these columns last week, and committed to the asylum on the same date.

        He was violently deranged, and when received at the asylum Superintendent BUSSEY predicted to Sheriff FARNUM that he would not live two weeks.

        Upon receiving information of his death Sheriff FARNUM notified relatives in Pennsylvania, as he also did at the time of deceased's commitment to the asylum, but nothing has been heard from them.(23 Jun 1904, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

      • GURULE, Laura Lee - Laura Lee Gurule

        Leadville Herald Democrate

        23 March 2000

        Laura Lee Gurule died Sunday, March l9 after being involved in a snowmobile accident. Laura was five years old. Born in Leadville on June 16, 1994, her parents are Maxine Avila and Albert Gurule, Jr.

        At the time of her death, Laura was attending kindergarten at Red Sandstone Elementary School in Vail.

        Her family will lovingly remember her as child who enjoyed reading, had a passion for chocolate, had fun drawing pictures of her family, and liked to play with her younger brothers. Laura loved the sun and gave the very best butterfly kisses.

        She is survived by her parents Maxine and Albert and her brothers Eric and Paul, all in Leadville; grandparents Albert Gurule and Juanita Gallegos, Leadville; Judy and Bob Sandoval, New Mexico; and Ida and Roger Avila, Leadville; great grandparents Sarah "Pepe" and Canuto Velasquez, Redcliff; and Johnny and Julia Romero, New Mexico; uncles Roger Avila, Leadville; and Philip Gurule, Pueblo; aunts Wanda "Nana" Gurule, Denver; Paula (Juan) Aldava and Stephanie Flores, both in Leadville; godparents, P-Wee Velasquez, who was her second "Mama", Redcliff; and Eddie Gurule, Eagle.

        Laura is also survived by a very special cousin, Felicia "Fala" Gurule, Denver and many other cousins and great aunts and uncles.

        The Rosary was recited on Wednesday, March 22 and Mass of Christian Burial on Thursday, March 23 at 10 a.m., both at Annunciation Catholic Church in Leadville. Father Tom Killeen officiated and musicians were Bobby Mascarenas, Joan Dawson and Jean Elliott.

        Pallbearers were Eddie Gurule, Sean Barraza, Ben Flores, Roger Avila, Jr., Augie Barraza and Victor Martinez. Honorary pallbearers were Eric Gurule, P.J. Gurule and Randy Flores, Jr.

        Laura was laid to rest at St. Joseph Cemetery in Leadville and her family received friends at a reception following the committal at the Eagles Lodge. Memorial contributions may be made to the Laura Lee Gurule memorial fund in care of Commercial Bank, P.O. Box 975, Leadville, CO 80461 . Arrangements were handled by Bailey Funeral Home.


        From the Eagle Valley Enterprise

        Mrs. Hanna GUSTAFSON died at Gypsum last Monday, September 10the, after a brief illness. She leaves a husband, Charles G. GUSTAFSON, and two children at Gypsum, besides a number of other relatives. Mrs. GUSTAFSON was born in Stockholm, Sweden, on October 2nd, 1877. Funeral services were conducted at Gypsum yesterday by Rev. F. H. ROSE. Interment was made in the Gypsum cemetery.(20 Sept 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.8)

      • GUSTAFSON, Howard Stanley "Swede" - Howard Stanley GUSTAFSON of Farmington, N. M., died Oct. 14 at his home. He was 76.

        GUSTAFSON was born in Avon to Gustaf William GUSTAFSON and Hilma Charlotte (Nelson) GUSTAFSON. He retired from PNM and APS in 1982. He was employed for five years with San Juan Gravel and did asphalt and paving.

        He is survived by two sons, Sam H. GUSTAFSON and wife from Arkansas and David L. GUSTAFSON of Farming; three daughters, Leslie SHAFER and husband John of Vernal, Utah; Hilma MILLS of Glendale, Ariz.; and Linda GUSTAFSON of Farmington; 13 grandchildren; and a nephew, Duane GUSTAFSON of Minturn.

        Graveside services were held Friday, Oct. 17, at 2 p. m. at Memory Gardens Cemetery in Farmington.[23 Oct. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

        Return to Top

        Return to Eagle County Main page

        Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb