HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:01 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

KAHO, Marguerite Elizabeth

Death Claims Young Bride. Mrs. Marguerite Elizabeth KAHO, daughter of F. B. COWDEN, passed away at the Emergency hospital in Grand Junction on the night of December 12. She was born in Osage City, Kan., on August 27 1900, and came to Eagle when two years of age, residing here or in Gypsum the greater part of her life.

On the 17th of last September, she was united in marriage with Clair J. KAHO, well known Denver and Rio Grande brakeman running between Grand Junction and Minturn. She became lightly ill two weeks ago and four days before her death was removed to the hospital. Pneumonia developed and Thursday evening her condition became alarming. She passed away before either her husband or parents could reach her bedside.

The young husband brought the body to Eagle Saturday morning and she was laid to rest in the Eagle cemetery at 10 a.m. Saturday. The pallbearers, schoolmates and old friends were Paul SCHUTZ, Ralph BELDING, Albin LUNDSTRUM, Wesley and Clyde STAYTEN and Wayne KUTZ.

She leaves besides her husband and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. F. B. COWDEN, three brothers, John, Lewis, and Burl, three sisters, Lucile, Alice and Ethel, Her grandparents Mr. and Mrs. G. W. COWDEN of Gypsum, other relatives and a wide circle of friends to mourn her loss.[20 Dec. 1918, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


The very sudden and unexpected death of Isaac KALBAUGH occurred in Eagle on Saturday, March 23, 1912. He dropped dead within five minutes after he had talked with friends, seeming to be in good health and in the best of spirits.

Mr. KALBAUGH was spending a dew days in town. On Saturday morning he was seated in a chair and without saying a word his head fell to his chest and he was dead. Death was instantaneous. Heart failure is given as the cause.

Mr. KALBAUGH came to Colorado forty-three years ago, engaging in mining at Georgetown. Eighteen years later, he came to Eagle county and prospected at Red Cliff and Fulford. He took up a desert claim on upper Brush creek in the early days, but later disposed of it. He just recently made final proof on a homestead on Brush creek. Of recent years Mr. KALBAUGH made his home with Mr. and Mrs. Ole PETERSON.

Isaac KALBAUGH was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., April 24, 1833. He enlisted in Company 3, Third Maryland Infantry, in which he served up to the close of the Civil War. One less in number must now be recorded of the veterans who sacrificed the best years of their lives to their country's service.

He is survived by two daughters and three sons. One son resides at Salmon, Idaho.

The funeral was held Monday, March 25th, interment being made in Eagle cemetery. Dr. HOPKINS conducted the funeral services on account of the illness of Rev. COULTER.[29 Mar. 1912, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


After two Weeks of Acute Suffering
Death Brings Relief

Mrs. J. W. Kalfus of Basalt, Col., died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Julia Hughes, 240 Vermont Ave., Sunday morning, after two weeks of acute suffering. Her husband had been summoned to her bedside only a few days before her death, so strong and full of life did she appear, and up to the last day hope was entertained for her recover.

Mrs. Kalfus was a most estimable woman, a model wife and mother, and the scores of friends who knew her in her girlhood and knew of her happy life and home in Colorado, will be shocked to hear of her death. She came a few weeks ago to visit her mother, sisters and brother, and was soon attacked by an illness which could but terminate in death. Every effort was made to save her, but without avail.

The funeral services were conducted at the Hughes home, 240 Vermont, Monday afternoon. Rev. Dr. Fuller saying the last words.

There were a number of floral tributes, some ordered by wire from Colorado, where Mr. Kalfus has a position as a locomotive engineer and has many friends, and the attendance of friends was large considering that no notice had been given of the death through the newspaper, it having occurred on a day on which no newspaper is issued in Sedalia.

Mrs. Kalfus was about 30 years of age and was the mother of two children - aged 12 and 8.

For the bereaved husband and for Mrs. Hughes, the mother, and for the sisters and brother, the community will feel a deep sympathy - Sedalia Daily Capital.

News of the death of Mrs. Kalfus came like a thunderbolt, to her scores of friends in Basalt, even now we hardly realize that she is indeed dead.

Her friends were numbered by her acquaintances, a devoted wife, a fond mother and an estimable lady, her loss will be deeply felt.

The entire community extend to the bereaved husband and little boys, their most sincere sympathy.
The Basalt Journal, June 10, 1899 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


After a short illness, Andrew J. KALLQUIST passed away at his home in Gypsum February 19, 1942, at the age of 87 years and 10 days.

The deceased was born in Oeland Island, Sweden, February 9, 1855. A man of unusual talents and learning, Mr. KALLQUIST was graduated from Lund University in the year of 1878, at the age of 23, taking his Ph. D. degree in that year. At the time of his graduation he received the only naval commission issued by the Swedish government in that year.

He had also completed courses in medicine and theology. He served as a physician in Sweden and he served one year as a state preacher in the Lutheran church of Sweden.

While serving the one year in the navy, required by the Swedish government in order to hold the commission issued t him, he invented and had patented an important submarine ballast which is still l in use on the Swedish submarines.

Due to failing health he as then compelled so seek a change of climate . His travels brought him to the United States and Denver in the year of 1882. He lived in Denver for a short time only, moving from there to Greeley, Colo. From there he went to Cheyenne, Wyo., where he obtained a license to practice medicine and entered active practice there. In the year of 1883, he obtained his final citizenship papers.

In 1887, he gave up his medical practice in Wyoming and settled in Gypsum valley. In 1892, he accepted a position as a chemist with the Arkansas Valley Smelting and Refining Co. in Leadville. He held this position until in 1894 when he was appointed water commissioner in Gypsum. He held this position for about fifteen or sixteen years. He made and proportioned all dividing boxes in the Gypsum valley irrigation system of that day.

Mr. KALLQUIST spoke several languages, among them German, French, Spanish, and of course, English and Swedish. He is best remembered in the field of languages as a scholar of Greek and Hebrew.

In the earlier days of Gypsum valley his talents were of inestimable value. He gave freely of his medical knowledge, and frequently settled legal problems The gypsum community and Eagle county has lost one of its grand old gentlemen in the death of Andrew KALLQUIST.

Return to Top

KELLY, Annabelle

Infant Daughter of R. E. KELLY Dies at Carbondale.

Annabelle KELLY, 5-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. E. KELLY, formerly residents of Gypsum and now living in Carbondale, died Saturday evening at a Glenwood Hospital. The little girl was taken suddenly ill with pneumonia Saturday morning and was rushed to the hospital, but died within a few minutes after reaching the hospital. Funeral services were held in Glenwood Monday afternoon for the child and she was buried in Rosebud cemetery in Glenwood.

The deceased child's father, R. E. KELLY, and her small brother, Bobby, three years old, were also stricken with pneumonia, and have been very seriously ill in their home at Carbondale for the past few days and were unable to attend the funeral of their daughter and sister.[8 May 1936, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KELLY, James


Last Thursday about 11:30 o'clock, James KELLY, employed on the grade for the Denver & Rio Grande's double tack through the Eagle River canyon, met with an accident that resulted in his death about an hour later. The unfortunate man was at work on what is known as the Kelly cut opposite the Black Iron mine spur, when a large rock, without any warning, fell from the top of a perpendicular cliff made by the cut in the granite and struck him. KELLY was struck on the back and badly injured. He was conveyed to the contractors' headquarters as quickly as possible where Dr. SIBERTS attended him, but it was evident from the first that he was fatally hurt. While not fully unconscious he was unable to tell anything of his relatives or himself, and his identification was made possible only by a time book in which his name appeared. He had been employed on the grade but a few days.

A. F. GRAHAM, the undertaker, took charge of the remains, and a lot in Greenwood cemetery was purchased by Contractor O'GARA in which interment was made. Deceased was about 50 years of age.(23 May 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top



The dead body of John KELLY was found floating in the water of the Eagle river just above Eagle Tuesday morning by residents who live in the river settlement along the state highway on the east outskirts of town. Mr. KELLY was seen going up the river with his fishing pole Monday afternoon, and it is presumed that he was fishing in the river and fell into the water and was drowned sometime that evening, as examination made of the body under direction of Coroner YOUNG determined that he had been dead about twelve hours when the body was found.

John KELLY had been a resident of this county for nearly sixty years. Just when he came to Colorado is not known. But in 1882 he was living in the mining camps on the Blue river around Dillon and Breckenridge. When the rush to Camp Defiance was started by gold discovery on the head of Grizzly creek above Dotsero, he was attracted to that camp. But he never reached it, according to the story he told the writer years ago. Many of the prospectors from the Blue who went to Defiance followed the Ute trail across the Gore range, down the Colorado river and up Red Dirt creek below Burns Hole and out onto the Flat Tops and to the mining camp by way of Deep Lake on the Old Glenwood trail.

KELLY stopped on Red Dirt. He thought there would be a well established travel over that route. He squatted on the creek, built a cabin and intended to run a place for the accommodation and entertainment of travelers over the route. But the excitement died out as quickly as it started, and KELLY was alone in his cabin. However, he remained there and filed on the land which was later owned by Herman SHOLTZ and recently sold by him.

KELLY came to the Eagle neighborhood about the time of the Lady Belle discovery on Horse Mountain and lived on Salt Creek, eventually taking up a homestead on that creek just below Bill TAYLOR's present home. He lived here until a few years ago when he sold the land to C.F. LLOYD.

Nothing of his early life or family was known here. According to the meager records of his life in the Welfare at the courthouse he was born in Pennsylvania December 12, 1847, which would place his age at past 90 years. When he purchased a fishing license a few weeks ago Mr. KELLY gave his age as 88 years but the former age is probably correct. He has been on the old age pension list for some time and making his home in Eagle. (17 June 1938, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top


W.B. Kelly, one of the first settlers of Eagle county, died suddenly at Glenwood Springs on last Friday. Mr. Kelly had been in failing health for some time, but was able to be about up to the moment of his death, as he dropped dead from his chair. The deceased claimed to be 72 years of age, though many old acquaintance can scarcely realize that he had reached that age, he having been active and hearty up to the past year.

Deceased was well known as one of the early prospectors on Battle mountain. He was one of the scouts and Indian fighters of the early days on the plains and in this country, and was in many ways a remarkable character. He was a single man and nothing is known of his relatives. He left a little property consisting of cattle and horses and some improvements on public land situated between Red Cliff and Minturn.
Eagle County Blade, Nov. 30, 1899 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Dr. Erlo E. Kennedy, secretary of the state board of health, died last Tuesday at his home in Denver, of pnuemonia superinduced by a light attack of influenza, after an illness of less than a week.

He came to Eagle county in 1907, locating at Basalt with his wife and son. He was one of the leading citizens of that part of the county during his residence there, having been mayor of Basalt, and was twice elected to the state legislature, representing the county in the nineteenth and Twentieth legislatures. He was chief clerk of the Twenty-first.

Dr. Kennedy was apointed secretary of the state board of health by Governor Gunter soon after the last legislature adjourned and has since lived in Denver. He instituted many reforms in health work over the state, and was responsible for much of the constructive legislation before the legislature.

He took hold of the task of combatting the spread of the influenza epidemic last fall when the plague broke out in this state. Many lives were saved thru his efforts in establishing community hospitals and the care given by doctors sent long distances to relieve communities.

Surviving him are his widow and Charles kennedy, 14 years old.

He was 38 years old, and was born in Lost Creek, W. Va., where the body was shipped for burial.
Feb. 7, 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthurx

Return to Top

KENNEDY, Walter S.

Operator Of Illicit Still Burned To Death In Cabin. Badly Charred Body Discovered By Two Prospective Customers Saturday At Hideout On Deep Creek---Cause Of Fire Unknown.

The body of Walter S. KENNEDY, a middle aged man, who had been operating a still in Deep creek canon, was discovered by two young men Saturday morning when they visited KENNEDY'S cabin in quest of liquor.

The cabin where KENNEDY lived and had his still is located about one and one-half miles from the mouth of the creek. The young men had walked up to the place, and after failing to find KENNEDY, tried the door. Discovering that it was fastened on the inside with a "button," were satisfied that he must be on the inside. Getting no response from him they worked the button fastener loose and opened the door, to be confronted with a gruesome sight. KENNEDY'S body lay near the door, to the left, the lower half burned to a crisp. Both feet were burned off to the knees, both hands burned to a crisp and the rest of his body badly cooked by the flames which and snuffed out his life.

The men closed the door and returned to Dotsero from where they telephoned Sheriff WILSON. The latter, together with District Attorney MEEHAN and Coroner CONWAY, immediately went to the scene and made a thorough investigation. No evidence could be found of foul play. A barrel of mash and a crude still were in the cabin. But, apparently, the still had not been working for several days, and the catastrophe was not caused from it.

Thyrsday KENNEDY was down to Dotsero and Gypsum and when he left Dotsero to return home he was highly intoxicated, according to men who saw him there. A man named BARNES went home with him and helped him up the trail to the cabin. At the cabin the two men sat and drank liquor, according to BARNES story. When the latter was ready to leave, KENNEDY, who said he had a three gallon jug with whisky in it cashed, went to it and got a pint for BARNES to take with him. When the latter left, so he told the sheriff, KENNEDY was very drunk.

When the sheriff's party arrived to investigate, the jug which KENNEDY had referred to was found in the cabin near the body, cracked and broken by the heat of the fire, and, of course empty. BARNES stated that when he was in the cabin the jug was not in sight in the cabin. The theory is that KENNEDY had brought the cache of whisky into the cabin fastened the door and proceeded to "tank up" by his lonesome. While lying on the bed he probably tried to light a pipe or cigarette and threw the lighted match where he started the conflagration. By that time he probably was too far gone in liquor to get out of the burning cabin. BARNES stated insofar as he could see there was no fire in the crude fireplace while he was there.

KENNEDY was ostensibly prospecting for coal, and letters and receipts from the Denver land office, found in a box in the cabin, indicated that he had applied for a permit for that purpose. In a code letter, which he had written to a friend and not mailed, and which the sheriff and his under sheriff, Eldon WILSON, decoded Saturday night, revealed KENNEDY'S plans, associates and business. The names discovered in the letter were not made public by Sheriff WILSON, but aided him in making a thorough investigation of the affair. Among other plans KENNEDY'S letter disclosed that he figured on doing a good business in peddling both whiskey and beer to fishing parties on Deep creek the coming season.

The body was brought to Gypsum Saturday evening and buried by County Mortician O. W. MEYER Sunday at Gypsum.

A sister, Mrs. C. BOTHWELL, was located in Coldwater, Kan., and a telegram received from her asked the authorities to bury the body here.

Coroner CONWAY and District Attorney MEEHAN decided that the expense of a coroner's inquest was unnecessary, as there was no evidence that there had been foul play of any kind. The cabin was built into the side of the hill, three or four feet from the ground up the walls were of dirt and stone, with the upper part of heavy green logs, which accounts for the fact that the cabin did not burn.[April 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise p. 1]

Return to Top

KERN, Sarah

KERN, Mrs. Sarah - Died at Gilman. Mrs. Sarah KERN, of Leadville died at the home of Mrs. Jane COSE at Gilman last Tuesday. Death was caused from paralysis. Mrs. KERN was native of England and was 71 years old.

The funeral will be held here Friday from the undertaking parlors of Mortician GRAHAM.[14 April 1910, Eagle County Blade, p1]

Return to Top


Friends in Gypsum were deeply shocked and genuinely grieved to learn Friday, August 9, of the death of Mrs. Helen KILGALLON, which occurred at 1:40 p. m. that day, in Salida, following an emergency operation for an incurable disease. While Mrs. KILGALLON had not been in robust health since undergoing a major operation about two years ago, still neither she or her family or friends considered her condition as critical and she had gone alone to the hospital, where physicians, learning of the seriousness of her illness, immediately notified her family.

HelenWARD was born in Lengotal, Ind., September 26, 1868. She came from an old colonial family that had migrated to Maryland with the second Lord Baltimore.

She was joined in hold wedlock to Patrick J. KILGALLON July 31, 1885, in Vernon, Ind., and to that most happy union four daughters were born, of whom two, Margaret, the eldest, Sister Vincintia of Ursland Convent, St. Lewis, and Olive, the youngest, have preceded their mother to their final reward.

The KILGALLONS came to Gypsum twenty-three years ago from Colorado City. Mr. KILGALLON is section foreman for the D. & R. G. W. railroad here, and since their arrival they have entered vitally into the life of the community. No affair has been complete without Helen KILGALLON, keenly enthusiastic on any subject in which her interest was aroused, kindly, considerate, visiting the sick, cheering the lonely, a wonderful pal to her husband and children, a true, loyal friend. Her place in the community cannot be filled by any other, and Gypsum sincerely mourns her passing.

Mr. and Mrs. KILGALLON celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on July 31, 1935. Fifty years of ideally happy wedded life.

Blessed with ample means financially to gratify their desires, the couple, a year ago, purchased an attractively located tract of land, which together they had made into a garden spot, called "Pleasant View." Here they build their permanent home, a cozy modern residence, surrounded by growing flowers and shrubs, which they had happily sown and planted. A home built in anticipation of the time, a little more than a year hence, when "Pat" would retire on a pension from active duty with the railroad company. Then they planned to share that home and spend their sunset years contentedly among friends of a lifetime. But their dream was never realized--"It takes a heap of livin' in a place to make it home"--Helen KILGALLON did not live to reign over that temporal home. The Divine plan ruled otherwise and her bereaved ones are left with wounds which only time can heal.

Funeral services were held under the direction of the Burdge Mortuary of Glenwood Springs, in the First Evangelical Lutheran church of Gypsum, by the Rev. Father O'NEIL of Glenwood Sprigs, assisted by members of the Alter Society. Musical numbers were a solo by Miss Albertine ZOELLNER, "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere" and "It is Well With My Soul," by a ladies quartet Mrs. LeRoy BORAH, Mrs. Wyon E. BONAR, Misses Anna ANDERSON and Albertine ZOELLNER, with Miss Alice LUNDBERG accompanist. Pall bearers: C. N. KINNEY, W. E. BONAR, Interment was in Cedar Hill cemetery, Gypsum.[16 Aug. 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KILTON, Melvin

Frozen Body Found on Grouse Creek--Head Partly Devoured by Coyotes - Last Saturday the body of a man was found by Commissioner Frank SMITH and Marion HENRY on Grouse Creek near Minturn. The body was froze hard when found and had evidently been there for sometime, as the coyotes had partly devoured the face and the clothing was badly torn by these animals.

The body had evidently been there since sometime in November as it was lying on the ground and the snow had drifted over it. The animals had pulled the clothing up through the snow which lead to the finding of the body.

Identification by the features was impossible but a letter was found on the body addressed to Melvin KILTON, also a ticket to San Francisco. Sheriff FARNUM was deputized to bring the body here and from here it was taken to Glenwood Springs and placed in the morgue. Communication were had with a son of the dead man in Manchester, New Hampshire, also with J. C. LIVINGSTON, who was at the Oxford Hotel in Denver and who has been looking for KILTON for some time. KILTON was a man of about sixty years of age.[23 dec. 1909, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KING, Vivian Lavona

Vivian Lavona KING died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lew KING at Minturn one day last week, after a short illness with the influenza. She was born in Minturn May 12, 1920. There survives to mourn the little one's departure, besides the loving and devoted father and mother, two brothers and three sisters.

Rev. J. F. GAITHER, pastor of the Eagle Methodist church, conducted the funeral services at Minturn Wednesday of last week.[24 Mar. 1922, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KING, William

William KING died at San Diego, California, on last Tuesday morning, May 21. Mr. King was a well known miner of the Battle mountain district, and some two years ago experienced a breaking down in health from lung trouble. He quit work and took a course of treatment and received benefit. He was warned, however, not to again engage in mining. But with returning strength he again went to work in the mines and was soon again forced to quit on account of his health.Mr. KING was 42 years of age and unmarried. He leaves relatives at Hannibal, Missouri. W. J. HENRY, his friend of many years, was with him at his death. The deceased had resided in Eagle county about twelve years following the avocation of a miner, mostly in operating leases. He was conspicuously industrious and persevering in his chosen employment, an open hearted, generous nature, and his untimely taking off will be learned with regret.(23 May 1901, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top

KINNETT, Dale Eugene

Dale Eugene KINNETT died at his home in Montrose on July 23, following a lengthy battle with emphysema and cancer.

The youngest of three children, he was born in Tamora, Neb. on Nov. 4, 1916 to Ernest and Addie KINNETT. He graduated from Fairmont High School in 1934 and helped on the family farm until the "dust bowl" drove them to Colorado in 1937. It was there that he met Vera MARSHALL, whom he wed in Rawlin, Wyo. on Dec. 18, 1940.

The couple, who had seven children, worked on ranches in the Yampa and Steamboat Springs area except for a short time during World War Two, when Dale drove a gas transport from Craig to Gunnison, Camp Hale and Norwood.

In 1948 the KINNETTS purchased their own ranch near Oak Creek, where they lived until moving to the Eagle area in 1955. There, Dale continued ranching for a short time until going into the trucking business; first for himself, and later as manager of the Eagle Truck Line for several years.

After the truck line was sold in 1965. Dale went to work for W>R> HALL driving a gas tanker from Denver to Aspen, He later drove a dump truck for B&B Construction until he retired in 1981 and moved with his wife to Montrose.

Dale always enjoyed the outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping, telling stories and spending time with his family.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Vera, their five sons and spouses: Keith and Bonnie KINNETT of Montrose; Dwight and Ruthie KINNETT of Grand Junction; Dwaine KINNETT and Margaret NEFF of Eagle; Kevin KINNETT of Eagle; Denny and Kristie KENNETT of Grand Junction, their two daughters and spouses, Charlotte and Lynn NEAL of Delta and Kristie KENNETT and LeRoy TODD of Montrose; nine grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren, and one sister, Myrtle PRIEFERT of Corvallis, Oregon; along with three nieces and two nephews, also on Oregon. He was preceded in death by his parents and one sister, Lois PERKINS.

Graveside services were held Tuesday, July 26 at Valley Lawns Cemetery in Montrose. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 28 July 1994)

Return to Top


Funeral services were conducted at the Farnum Chapel Tuesday, July 26t at 2:00 p.m. for Mr. Clark Nicholas Kinney, age 83, of Glenwood Springs.

Mr. Kinney, who had been living with Mr. and Mrs. Alvin Sloss for the past year, died at 9:40 a.m., Saturday, July 22nd at the Valley View Hospital after an illness of two years.

Born December 23, 1877 at Chicago, Illinois, Mr. Kinney came to Colorado at the age of 17 and married Estella Bogue February 22nd, 1905 at Arkansas Junction, Colo. Mrs. Kinney died September 8, 1959, in Glenwood Springs.

The Kinneys lived in Gypsum, Colo. for 37 years, but then moved on to Basalt, Pando and Glenwood Springs, Colorado.

Mr. Kinney was a member of the Masonic Lodge of Minturn, Colo. He will be buried at the Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum, Colorado.

Return to Top

KINNEY, Paul Francis

From the CARBONATE WEEKLY CHRONICLE, Leadville, CO September 20, 1915

"The infant son, Paul Francis, of Mr. and Mrs. Clark N Kinney, who died Sunday, was buried in Evergreen cemetery at 11 o'clock at the chapel of the Moynahan and O'Malia Undertaking company. At the chapel the small casket was concealed from sight by the mass of beautiful flowers which covered it and which came as tokens from sympathizing friends. The Rev. David McMartin,pastor of the First Presbyterian church, officiated at the services.

Mr. Kinney is one of the D and R G telegraph operators at Matla."

See also Necrology File at the Lake County Public Library, Leadville, CO which lists its source as the HERALD DEMOCRAT, JAN. 1, 1916

Return to Top

KIRK, Henry Wellington

Henry KIRK, well known resident of Redstone, and former early day resident of Eagle and Fulford, passed away the Crystal Springs ranch at 3 o'clock Monday morning after suffering from a heart attack. Mr. KIRK has always been in the best of health and news of his death was in form of a shock to his many friends in Marble, Garfield and Eagle counties.

Henry Wellington KIRK was born in Los Angeles, Calif., January 8, 1872, and moved to Colorado in 1890, the greater part of which time he has lived in Marble, going to that place after having lived for a time at Eagle and driving the stage line from this point to Fulford, then a booming mining camp. He was united in marriage with Miss Elsie DOWNING of Marble who died September 11, 1921. Three daughters, Esther, Cleo and June, are left to mourn their passing. June had made her home with Mrs. John CROOK if Fort Collins since her mother's death.

Funeral services were held from the Farnum Home mortuary Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. W. S. YOUNG officiating. Interment was in the Glenwood cemetery.[18 July 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Greeks In Fatal Quarrel At Orestod. Resulting in One's Death, Murderer Escapes Into The Hills.

It was a case of Greek meeting Greek at State Bridge last Tuesday morning, when a quarrel between two section hands on the D. & S. L. railroad resulted in the death of Paul KIRKILIS, young Greek 24 years old, at the hands of John ATHANASOPULOS or STATHOS, who shot KIRKILIS through the head with a .38 caliber revolver. STATHOS, who is 63 years old, escaped into the hills directly after the shooting and had not been apprehended as this is written.

The quarrel resulting in the tragedy occurred at Orestod, two miles west of State Bridge, at the camp of the section crew, at seven o'clock Tuesday morning, just as the men were preparing to go to work. The younger man was writing a letter in his cabin, when his assailant entered and picked a quarrel over a very trivial matter. The men engaged in a fist fight which took them out of the cabin and down to the railroad tracks about thirty feet from the cabin. At this point others interfered and separated the men. STRATHOS rushing to the cabin, where it was known that he had a gun, with the statement that he would "fix KIRKILIS pretty quick." When he entered the cabin, those outside closed and fastened the door, locking the old man on the inside, where they left him for a few minutes until they supposed he had cooled off. In the meantime, KIRKILIS had picked up a small piece of wood evidently to use as a club and followed to the door. When the cabin door was opened by those who had closed it, STATHOS rushed out and grabbed his younger opponent around the neck with his left arm and stuck a gun in the latter's face and pulled the trigger. The bullet entered KIRKILIS forehead near the center and passed through his brain coming out back of the right ear.

The murderer passed into the cabin and changed his clothes, walked out onto the track and started toward State Bridge. But he evidently soon struck into the hills after leaving the sight of the others and has not been seen since. No effort was made to detain STATHOS from leaving by any of those present at the tragedy.

The wounded man was placed on a passing freight train and started for the hospital at Oak Creek, but died within a few minutes, and the body transferred to the east bound passenger train on the Moffat road and brought back to State Bridge. Sheriff WILSON and Coroner Dr. Frank DUNKLE were notified and went to the scene of the murder. The sheriff organized a posse and searched the hills until two o'clock Wednesday morning. Dr. DUNKLE called an inquest and the jury found that the deceased had come to his death from a gunshot wound delivered by John STATHOS with felonious intent. Those serving on the jury were Ralph MCGLOCHLIN, R. C. KELLEY, James RICHCREEK, Harry DICKERSON, H. D. HUDSON and Adrian REYNOLDS, jr.

Mortician W. H. FARNUM of Glenwood took charge of the body of the dead man Wednesday mourning and prepared it for shipment to Denver, where the deceased had relatives. In his possessions was a life insurance policy made payable to a brother who, is supposed to live in Denver.[14 Sept. 1923, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Mari Jo KLEIBER, formerly of Eagle, died April 13 at the Eben Lutheran Care Center in Brush. She was 45.

Mari Jo was born Nov. 1, 1950 in Denver to Jerry and Joan BJORK. She married Larry KLEIBER on Dec. 20, 1970 in Denver. She lived in Eagle for 18 years prior to moving to Brush in August 1995

She was a member of the Eagle Valley Evangelical Free Church and the Gypsum United Methodist Church during her years as an Eagle resident and most recently was active in the New Hope Community Church in Brush, as well as Beta Sigma Phi. She had a special love for her children, as well as all children, and enjoyed working with horsed, gardening , quilting, ceramics and teaching Sunday School.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Larry KLEIBER of Brush; one daughter, Rachael Anne KLEIBER of Brush; sons Bejamin, David, James and John, all of Brush; her parents, Jerry and Joan BJORK of Denver; sister Mardi ANDERUD of Beaumont, Tex.; grandparents Gladys GLEASON and Beryl BJORK; and parents-in-law Richard and Marie KLEIBER of Denver, and a host of friends.

Funeral services were held Wednesday, April 17 at the New Hope Community Chruch in Brush. Interment followed at Ft. Logan National Cemetery in Denver. Friends who wish to make a memorial donation can do so c/o the Heer Mortuary, 222 Cameron St., Brush. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 18 April 1996)

Return to Top


Howard KLEIMER, a 20 year full time resident of Vail, died March 24 in his sleep.

Howard was born in 1919 in Brooklyn, NY. He married Margaret LINET in 1939. He was a newspaper compositor for 48 years with Perth Amboy Evening News in New Jersey.

Services will be held a 2 p.m. today at the Vail Interfaith Chapel. Burial will follow at the Minturn Cemetery. Friends and family will gather at the home of Margaret KLEIMER following the services.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Margaret KLEIMER of Vail; son Art (Anna) KLEIMER of Vail; daughter Sue (Larry) AST of Vail; sisters Mildred WEINFELD of Bound Brook, NJ, Clara EFFERSTEIN of King's Point, Fla., and Toby KLEIMER of New York City; and six grandchildren: Ben KLEIMER of Boulder, Rachael (Brad) COHEN of Vail; Robert, Stephen and Debi AST, all of Denver, and Naomi KLEIMER of Vail.

Howard was active in charitable work his entire life. He was a past master of the Raritan Americus Tefiloh Synagogue in New Jersey and a charter member of Congregation B'Nai Vail. He was a volunteer at the Roosevelt Hospital for the Aged in Edison, NJ, and with the Vail Police Department and the Vail Valley Rummage Sale and Auction.

The family has requested that gifts in lieu of flowers be made to B'Nai Vail Children's Education Fund, Box 2244, Vail, Co, 81678

Return to Top

KLEIMER, Margaret

Margaret KLEIMER, a 20 year full-time resident of Vail, died Thursday, Oct. 16.

Born in Perth Amboy, N.J., in 1912, KLEIMER married Howard KLEIMER in 1939, and they celebrated 57 blissful years together, until his passing on March 24.

Services will be held Sunday at 1:30 p.m. at the Vail Interfaith Chapel. Burial will follow at the Minturn Cemetery. Friends and family will gather at the home of Art and Anna KLEIMER following the services.

KLEIMER is survived by her son Art KLEIMER and his wife Anna of Vail; her daughter Sue AST and her husband Larry of Vail; six grandchildren; Ben KLEIMER of Boulder, Rachael COHEN and her husband Brad of Vail; Robert, Stephen and Debi AST, all of Denver; and Naomi KLEIMER of Vail.

KLEIMER devoted her life to teaching and helping others. She was an honors graduate of Perth Amboy High School in New Jersey and an honors graduate of Douglas College, The New Jersey College for Women, Rutgers University. She taught English, French and German for nearly 40 years in the Perth Amboy school system. She guided the lives of many into teaching careers, including her daughter Sue and granddaughters Rachael and Naomi.

She was president of many civic charitable organizations: The Hadassah Charity for the nondenominational Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem, the Mizrachi organization for promoting health in refugee children, the Parent Teacher Association, the Women's Division of Congregation Shaarey Tefiloh Congregation in Perth Amboy and the Menorah Link Golden Chain. She was also a volunteer at the Roosevelt Hospital and the Perth Amboy Hospitals in New Jersey.

She treasured her participation in the Vail Valley Rummage Sale and Auction in its formative years. Her most special delight in contributing to the community was the Minturn Senior Citizens, in which she and Howard served in many capacities. She was a founding member of B'nai Vail Congregation.

KLEIMER'S wish was that in lieu of flowers, gifts be made to the B'nai Vail Children's Educational Fund, Box 2244, Vail, Colo., 81658.[18 Oct. 1997, Vail Daily --b. 11-01-12]

Return to Top

KLUGE, Herman W.

Herman W. KLUGE, pioneer merchant of the Western Slope of Colorado, died in Denver, Friday, December 8, 1933.

Mr. KLUGE was for years one of the merchant princes of Colorado. He built up a modest fortune in the general mercantile business at Palisade, but a few years ago retired from active participation in business, selling his Palisade store and moving to Denver.

He was a partner with T. E. LEWIS in the business of Lewis & Kluge at Eagle, and together with Mr. LEWIS and Robert McHATTON owned the Gypsum Mercantile Co. store at Gypsum. He was interested in these two stores at the time of his death.

He is survived by his widow and one son, William KLUGE, both living in Denver.

Funeral and burial services were held in Denver Monday.

His partners in Business here, Mr. LEWIS and Mr. McHATTON, attended the funeral services.[15 Dec. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KNAPP, William B.

Another one of the real pioneers of Colorado and Eagle county passed away Sunday, January 23, when Wm. B. (Bill) Knapp died at his home in Gypsum, after a short illness of pneumonia.

Born at Belfast, Allegheny county, New York, October 14, 1852, William Bingham Knapp, heeding Horace Greeley's advice of "go West young man, go West," came to Colorado in 1880, having first lived a year in Kansas City on his way west. He entered into the spirit of the pioneer days of the state from his arrival, and was very instrumental in weaning this rugged country from the crude state in which Nature had left it.

He first came to this valley in 1883, living for a time on the ranch now owned by Mrs. Ruth Nogal. Following this he went to Leadville and for a number of years drove a freighting outfit between that town and the then booming mining camp of Aspen over Independence pass.

In 1896 he returned to Gypsum and has since lived here, taking part in various ways in the development of the valley and town. Bill Knapp was a most courteous gentleman, whose friends were numbered by the score.

Surviving relatives are a nephew, William A. Knapp of Chevy Chase, Md., a niece, Irene E. DARNELL, of Washington, D.C., and a number of grand nieces and nephews.

Funeral services were held from the Lutheran church at Gypsum Wednesday afternoon, with Mortician Paul ANDRE in charge, and the discourse was delivered by Rev. George ELLER, pastor of the Lutheran church. Burial was made in Cedar Hill cemetery at Gypsum, the remains being followed to their last resting place by a large number of sorrowing people who had been his friends during lifetime. Pall bearers were; Sheriff W. M. WILSON, Judge William H. LUBY, Edw. McHATTON, H.D. DAVENPORT, J.N. STEIN, and Fritz BORAH. (28 Jan 1938, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top


In a letter from Mrs. H. A. KNAPPENBERG, written from her home in Santa Barbara, Calif., we learn of the death of her son, Fred L. KNAPPENBERG, on October 4.

Fred and a companion were traveling in an automobile near Goldfield, Nev., when he met his death. The accident, so the letter stated, was attributed to poor brakes on the car, and when an attempt was made to check the speed of the car, the front wheels locked and the car turned over. Mr. KNAPPENBERG was killed instantly and his companion is in a hospital with serious injuries. Fred's body was returned to Santa Barbara where burial took place on the 8th. The deceased was raised in Eagle county, growing to manhood at Burns, where he was married a few years ago. His father and mother were old time residents of Burns, where they conducted a store and the post office for many years.

He is survived by his wife and sixteen months old daughter, Corlys May; and mother, Harriet A. KNAPPENBERG all living in Santa Barbara.

Old friends of the KNAPPENBERG family in Eagle county will learn of the tragedy with sorrow and the grief stricken mother and other relatives have the sympathy of former neighbors here.[21 Oct. 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KOCH, Gustav

Gustav KOCH, for twenty-seven years a resident of Minturn, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. B. D. PRICE in Minturn last Friday, November 29, at the age of 78 years.

Born in Bedlin, Germany, in 1857, he migrated with his parents to the United States when seven years of age, the family locating in Buffalo, N. Y. When 27 years of age he married Augusta GARM, the couple making their home in Blossom, N. Y. To this union there were born eleven children, of whom eight survive--Frederick and Norman KOCH, Minturn, Colo.; Louis KOCH, Salinas, Calif.; Mrs. Byron PRICE, Mrs. Clare GRAHAM, Mrs. George BRYANT, Minturn, Colo.; Mrs. Elmer BELL, Los Angeles, Calif.; Mrs. Bert WITHERSPOON, Owensboro, Ky. He is also survived by six Grandchildren and one great grandchild.

The family came to Colorado in 1908 and located at Minturn, where he made his home until death called.

Funeral services were held from the Presbyterian church in Minturn, Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. Mr. MACGINNIS of Rifle delivering the discourse. A vocal duet, Mrs. NORLANDER and Mrs. Rice PALMER, of Red Cliff, sang during the service, and his granddaughter, Dorothy MAHONEY also sang "O, Dry Those Tears."

Burial was made in the cemetery at Minturn.[6 Dec. 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


he funeral services of the late Jacob KOEHLER, justice of the peace, of Minturn, Colo., who died March 3, was held at the Minturn Presbyterian church. Wednesday, March 6, 1929, at 2:00 o'clock p. m., Reverend ANDERSON, Lutheran minister of Leadville conducting the services. He was buried at Minturn in the Riverside cemetery.

Mr. KOEHLER was born in Gimmeldingen, Bavaria, Germany, October 1, 1856. When he was but a child of seven years of age, and while the Civil war was going on, his parents immigrated to the United States and settled near Lincoln, Ill.

About 1877 or 1878 he came to Leadville, Colo., and for many years he burned charcoal near Tennessee Pass for the smelters at Leadville and spent much of his time in prospecting in Lake and Eagle counties. He first came to Minturn about 1895, and since then he has considered Minturn his home, although part of the time since, he has done some mining around Pando.

In 1902 he was united in marriage at Leadville to Anna M. BOLLS of Crystal Springs, Miss. To this union there was born one son, Wesley, who at the present time is principal of the Deerfield, Kansas, high school.

Mr. KOEHLER had been in poor health for many years, but it was not until a year ago that he was taken seriously ill. Although his condition was serious, he was able to perform the duties of justice of the peace and attend to his property until a few months ago.

Besides his son in Kansas, he is also survived by his widow and a sister, the latter living in Peoria, Ill. Not only his relatives, but also many friends in the community and in Eagle county mourn his passing.[15 March, 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KOLLNIG, Alma Elsie

Alma Elsie KOLLNIG was born on the fifth day of July, 1917 at Glenwood Springs, Colo. In the fall of that same year her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur KOLLNIG, moved to Minturn where they reside at the present time.

Alma quickly found ample place in the love of all her relatives; and a strong and abiding attachment between her and her Uncle Harry and Aunt Ida DICKERSON soon showed itself. Therefore, Alma at a very early age, in fact while still a baby, practically became a member of the DICKERSON family. Although frequently with her parents, for longer or shorter periods, she has lived with her uncle and aunt most of the time.

Alma attended the public school in Eagle. She was an industrious student. That her indomitable will remained to the end is seen from the fact that, despite the handicap of ill health, she recently represented her school in a county declamation contest. Her fine spirit brought her many friends and she was a favorite among her schoolmates and companions.

During the ministry of the Rev. A. R. DENNIE, Alma was given Christian baptism and became a member of the Eagle Community church. She was an active member of the church and a faithful and loyal worker.

For some time Alma had not been in good health. Her illness became constantly worse. In spite of all that love and medical skill could do her brave soul at last ceased to struggle. Death came as a relief from great physical distress. She passed away at the Denver & Rio Grande railroad hospital in Salida on Sunday evening March 22.

Those who remain to bid her the last loving farewell are: her parents and younger brother, Harry Robert, her grandmother KOLLNIG, several uncles and aunts, including Mr. and Mrs. Harry DICKERSON of Eagle, a number of cousins, her schoolmates and teacher, Miss Irma TWIGGS, and many other friends both in Eagle and in Minturn.

"The fruit struck to the earth before its ripeness; the glowing life and goodly purpose dissolved away in sudden death; the words half spoken choked upon the lips with clay forever; these are the heaviest mysteries of this strange world."

These words of RUSKIN give utterance to the current perplexity of two communities. But for love and faith the mystery has meaning. After all, it is the young and tender plant that is best suited for transplanting. If earth's garden has lost a sweet flower, heaven has gained one.

"If earth another grave must bear, Yet heaven hath won a sweeter strain, And something whispers my despair, That, from an orient chamber there Floats down---Auf Wiedersehen."

Funeral services were held in Eagle Thursday morning, the public schools being dismissed for the hour of the service, and Alma's school mates attended in a body. Members of the Junior Choir of the Methodist church, of which Alma was one in her life sang at the funeral, and the pall bearers were of her school mates and companions. Following the service here the body was taken to Minturn for burial, another service being held there.

Rev. C. R. STOCKINGER, pastor of the local Methodist church had charge of both services.[27 Mar. 1931, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KOLLNIG, Karoline

Mrs. Karoline KOLLNIG passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry S. DICKERSON, in Eagle last Thursday afternoon, February 27, after suffering a stroke of paralysis Monday evening previous.

Mrs. KOLLNIG was a wonderful little lady. Past 80 years of age she had been active in social activities and the enjoyment of life up to the hour she was stricken. Having worked and toiled hard all her younger years, raising her family and in her housewifery duties, she was able to sensibly enjoy her old age, and did it to the fullest extent. When her time came, she went out peacefully, without suffering, quickly. A full and most satisfactory life.

Karoline FOULHAVER was born in Munich, Germany, November 11, 1855, and was called to her final rest, February 27, 1936, at the age of 80 years, 3 months and 15 days. On September 12, 1880, she was united in marriage to John KOLLNIG and almost immediately following this they came to America, going first to St. Louis at which place they lived for about seven years. Then to Leadville, where Mr. KOLLNIG worked in the mines for a number of years. In 1898 they moved to Minturn, which place has been her home since.

To Mr. ad Mrs. KOLLNIG were born three children: Antone, who lost his life in a mine accident in Cripple Creek in 1898; a daughter, Mrs. Ida DICKERSON f Eagle; and Arthur J. KOLLNIG of Minturn.

When Holy Cross Circle No. 135 was organized in Minturn in 1898, she became a charter member, which membership she retained to the end.

She was preceded in death by her husband, her son, Antone, her granddaughter, Alma KOLLNIG, and leaves to mourn her loss her daughter, Mrs. DICKERSON and her husband of Eagle; her son, Arthur J. KOLLNIG and wife of Minturn; and a grandson, Harry KOLLNIG, and a host of sorrowing friends.

Short funeral services held at the DICKERSON home in Eagle Sunday morning were largely attended by loving but sorrowing friends. Rev. T. B. McDIVITT conducted a short service, Mesdames R. R. CRIE and E. P. COLBURN, accompanied by Mrs. Alvin RULE at the Piano, singing two vocal duets, "Somebody Cares," and "Some Day He'll Make it Plain To Me."

The funeral cortege then proceeded to Minturn where the Circle of the Neighbors of Woodcraft held its funeral service in the Presbyterian church for their sister, who had been one of its charter members. At this service Dorothy MAHONEY sang a solo, "Face to Face," and Miss ELLIS and Miss CLINE sang, "He Knows It All," and Mr. BAYER and Mrs. ROLLINGS sang "Whispering Hope," Mrs. BAYER being the accompanist.

Pall bearers were: Ora TIPTON, Hugh YOUNG and Elmer HUFF, of Minturn; Forrest W. CAVE, G. G. RICE, and Thomas E. PHARO of Eagle.

After the church services at Minturn the body was laid to rest in the cemetery at Minturn, beside that of her departed husband.

We loved her so much, God loved her more; And silently took her home. No one hears the door that opens, When they pass beyond our call, Soft as the loosened leaves of the roses, One by one, our loved ones fall.[6 Mar. 1936, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

KOONCE, Emma Louisa

Mrs. Emma Louisa KOONCE, of Eagle, died on Monday, March 5th of heart disease, aged 52 years. Mrs. KOONCE, with her two sons, Arthur and Ed, had resided in the county about a year on one of the Oleson ranches on Brush creek, having removed here from Trinidad. The remains were taken to Trinidad for burial. (8 March 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


Just before press time Thursday morning we received word from Avon of the death on Wednesday afternoon of our good old friend, P. F. KROELLING, one of the pioneers of Lake and Eagle counties. Interment will be made at his early home in Leadville, but funeral arrangements had not yet been made at the time of our going to press.(Eagle Valley Enterprise 13 July 1938)

Return to Top

KUTZ, Shirley

Shirley KUTZ, 6, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lisle KUTZ of Gypsum, died in the Hopkins hospital at 1 o'clock this morning from injuries received when struck by an automobile on the state highway one mile east of Gypsum Thursday evening.

The KUTZ family live one and one-half miles east of Gypsum and the children attend the grade school in town. Shirley and her older sister were returning home from school and had just got out of the school bus, near the J. P. OLESON home. The older girl had crossed the road and Shirley was following her when a car bearing a Pueblo county license coming from the east hit the child. The car stopped and picked her up and brought her into Dr. CONWAY, and later took she and her parents on to the Glenwood hospital when it was found her injuries were so serious that she would probably die. Her head was crushed, limbs broken and death came a few hours later.

Robt. McHATTON was the accident, and says that it was unavoidable in so far as the driver of the death car was concerned.[3 Mar. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

Return to Eagle County Main page

Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb