HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:48:00 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Click on the name below to jump to the location on this page.

LA * LE * LI * LL * LO * LU * LY *


  • LANDRY, Carrie Marion - Another of Eagle county's pioneers answered the last summons when Mrs. Carrie LANDRY passed away at the D. & R. G. Hospital at Salida, Sunday, September 24, with carcinoma of the liver.

    Carrie MARION was born in Duluth, Iowa, January 19, 1866. She moved with her parents when but a child to Colorado and in 1896 she was married to Harry LANDRY. Residing in Leadville a short period, they moved to Gilman and later on made Minturn their home, at which place her husband died six years ago.

    Mrs. LANDRY was a whole-souled, genial mother, neighbor and friend, always striving to find the bright side of life and smoothing out the rough places, never turning a deaf ear to any one in need, the mother heart looming large in befriending the homeless and orphans.

    Those nearest to her to mourn her passing on at the age of 56 years are her foster daughter, Mrs. Gertrude STEVENS of Haley, Idaho, two brothers, Abe and Ed MARION of Boise, Idaho, and four nieces of Red Cliff.

    The funeral services were held from the Presbyterian Church. Red Cliff Wednesday afternoon. The Reverend GAITHER of Eagle spoke largely and lovingly of the life of the deceased who was laid to rest by the side of her husband in Evergreen cemetery.-Eagle County News.[6 Oct. 1922, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LAFORCE, John B. - Ranchman Falls Dead In Saddle. John B. LAFORCE, Prominent Citizen Near McCoy, Died Three Days After Kick From Horse.

    As result of what was considered an unimportant injury at the time, when he was kicked by a horse three days before, John B. LAFORCE, one of the most prominent ranchmen in the McCoy section, died suddenly Friday, December 3, while riding horseback. On Tuesday he had been engaged in highway work and when one of his horses fell he was struck in the chest by one of its hoofs, while he was attempting to assist it to its feet. For a day or two he felt too ill to work, but Friday, when one of his neighbors, Thomas WOHLER, needed help in driving some cattle to McCoy to be shipped, Mr. LAFORCE decided to assist him. The party of men were riding together when Mr. LAFORCE leaned over and fell from his saddle. When the others alighted and went to him, he was dead. It is believed that a blood vessel was broken when he was kicked by the horse, and that the exertion while the cattle were being gathered caused internal hemorrhage.

    John B. LAFORCE was born January 19, 1881, in Jasper, Mo., and he had been a resident of Colorado since 1900, when he located near Eagle. The following year he came to Routt county, first being with a brother, Leslie M. LAFORCE, at a ranch on Red Dirt Pass, between Toponas and McCoy. Later he resided at Yampa for a time, and in recent years he had been in the McCoy neighborhood. He was formerly interested in the McCoy store, but for several years prior to his death had been located on the former STIFLE ranch, a few miles down the Colorado river from that point. On March 1, 1918, Mr. LAFORCE was united in marriage with Miss Emma SCHRUPP, and to this union were born five children; Stella, Wilma, John, jr., Marjorie and Walter. In addition to his wife and children, he is also survived by two sisters and eight brothers, Leslie M. LAFORCE, of near Glenwood Springs, Colo.; Mrs. Griselda FERRELL of Nashville, Mo.; Arthur LAFORCE of Knowles, Okla.; Mrs. Hudah HADLEY of Yampa; James of Clinton, Mo.; Charles of Los Angeles; Edward, who is in Wyoming; Dr. Herman LAFORCE of Carthage, Mo.; Walter of Kansas City, and Rane, who is at Frisco, Utah.

    The funeral was held Sunday, being very largely attended, as deceased was one of the most highly regarded citizens in the northern Eagle county and southern Routt county neighborhood. Earl BROOKS was in charge of the service, which was at McCoy, and Rev. Mark D. BOYD of Oak Creek preached a funeral sermon. A quartet sang, "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere," and "Some Day We'll Understand." The body was laid to rest in the McCoy cemetery.--Route County Sentinel.[17 Dec. 1926, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LANDEROS, Maria Elena -

    Community reaches out to family of traffic victim

    By Kathy Heicher

    Family and friends of Maria Elena Landeros, a 30-year-old single mom killed Friday in a traffic accident, are pulling together to help the four young children she left behind. Landeros died after her Ford Probe was struck by a pickup driven by Edwards resident Randall Stantione, 42. Stantione has been charged with DUI and vehicular homicide.

    "Maria was a very shy, quiet person, yet she was always helping other people," recalls her sister, Shelly Landeros of Gypsum. The Landeros family are longtime residents of the valley. Maria's father, Manuel, works for Adam's Rib Ranch in Eagle.

    "This has been really rough. It's really hard on the kids," remarked Shelly on Tuesday as her family prepared for memorial services.

    Maria was on her way home from a job interview at the time of the accident. Although she worked as a waitress, she was hoping to find work that would offer insurance benefits for her children: Romero, 10; Monica, 9; Claudia, 4; and Oscar, 18 months.

    "She was a hard worker. She was just getting her American citizenship and was planning getting married to a real nice fellow," says Suzy LeVangie, who worked with Landeros at Jackie's Old West Restaurant in Eagle. Maria earned similar praise from Deb Marquez, co-owner of Fiesta's Restaurant in Edwards, where Maria had recently begun waitressing.

    "She was well liked, and highly praised by co-workers," said Marquez. Shelly Landeros recalls a sister who was determined to provide a good life for her children. Maria attended Eagle Valley High School, and later completed her GED through Colorado Mountain College.

    Maria Landeros supported her four children by herself, with support from her family, including her parents, five sisters and two brothers. In addition to waitressing, she had recently worked a temporary job at Eagle County Social Services, where she used her typing and writing skills.

    Maria had an appointment to get her American citizenship in July.

    Her sister recalls that Maria loved gardening and watching movies. Recently, although she was not a particularly accomplished cook, she had taken up baking. Her banana nut bread was requested by family members.

    Maria's parents, Juan Manuel and Maria Guadalupe Landeros, will seek full custody of the four children. Family members strongly believe the children should stay together.

    Shelly Landeros says the family is having a hard time with the fact that the accused drunk driver has been released on a bond.

    "That is hard to accept. We feel like my sister's life is worth only $7,500 (the amount of the bond). She left four kids behind that have nothing," she observed. Several days after the accident, the family learned Maria had been offered the new job she was seeking. Maria Landeros' former co-workers at Jackie's Olde West restaurant in Eagle are collecting donations for the Landeros children. Friends may drop off donations at the restaurant.

    Similarly, the Fiesta's staff is gathering money for a car seat for the Landeros baby, and money for health insurance for the all of the children. Fiestas will host a benefit on Tuesday, June 29. Fiestas will make a donation to the children based on sales that day. Funeral services are scheduled for 3 p.m. today at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Eagle. Interment will follow at Sunset View Cemetery in Eagle. In addition to her four children, her parents and her sister Shelly, Maria is survived by sisters Tina Munoz of Silt, Rosie and Sheila Landeros of Gypsum, Lupe Landeros of Eagle, and brothers Luis of Brush Creek and Lindo of Mexico. Other survivors include nine nieces and nephews.

    (The Daily Trail, 22 June 1999)

  • LANE, Beverly June - The one month old child of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph LANE was burned to death Wednesday evening when their home on the Colorado river, north of Gypsum was destroyed by fire. Mrs. LANE had gone on an errand to her mother's a short distance away, leaving the three children, the oldest of whom, a boy, is three years old. The latter had the presence of mind to get the second child from the burning building, but was unable to save the youngest baby. No one knows how the fire was started. Buried at Cedar Hill.{26 Oct. 1934, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LANE, Richard 1936 - 1996

    Richard Darwin Lane of Grand Junction died of cancer April 28 at his home. He was 59.

    Formerly of Gypsum, Rifle and Carbondale, Mr. LANE had moved to Grand Junction seven years ago.

    He was born Dec. 14, 1936 to Ralph and Mildred (SCHULTZ) LANE near Fruita. He spent his childhood in Oregon and Colorado and attended school in the Sweetwater area. He married Linda Louise LANE on May 5, 1981 in Las Vegas, Nev.

    He served with the U.S. Marine Corps for three years and enjoyed horses, cars, hunting, panning for gold and cave exploration.

    Survivors include his wife, Linda; stepson Shane WATSON and his family, or Vacaville, Calif.; step-daughters Sheila STEVENS and family of Gilman Springs, Nev., and Kim KIVETT and family of Fruita; brothers Ralph LANE of Sheridan, Mont., and Larry LANE of Vancouver, Wash.; sisters Donna WINK of Los Lunas, N.M., Phyllis MANZANERAS of Albuquerque, N.M., and Norma KENNEDY of The Dalles, Ore.; and 13 grandchildren.

    He was preceded in death by step-son Anthony Wayne WATSON and two brothers, Bob and Paul LANE.

    Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of the Grand Valley, P.O. Box 6037, Grand Junction, CO 81506.

    An informal gathering in memory of Mr. LANE is scheduled for 1 p.m., today, May 2 at the family home, 1123-22 Rd., Grand Junction.

    McLean Funeral Home in Fruita was in charge of arrangements.(Eagle Valley Enterprise 02 May 1996)

  • LANGTON, John - John LANGTON died at his home at Dotsero last Monday evening, December 9. The deceased was a pioneer of Leadville, where he followed mining for many years, but some years ago he moved to Eagle county and took up a homestead where he lived until his death. He had been an invalid for a number of years, but his death came very sudden and unexpectedly, While out in the yard on the evening of his death, some exertion brought on a hemorrhage of the lungs, and by the time Mrs. LANGTON reached his side, which was within less than five minutes, he was dead. The body was laid to rest in the Gypsum cemetery Thursday. He is survived by his widow and two sons.[13 Dec. 1918, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LANGTON, Mary J. - One of the real pioneer women of Eagle county passed away last Sunday when Mary J. LANGTON died at her home near Dotsero. Mrs. LANGTON was nearing her 90th birthday. For the past year her health has been declining and her death was not entirely unexpected.


    Mrs. Richard LAUTERBACH, of Mitchell, Slain, and Husband Badly Injured

    At about ten o'clock Tuesday night the house of Richard LAUTERBACH at Mitchell caught fire and the conflagration caused the explosion of a large quantity of dynamite which was stored in the rear room of the house. Mrs. LAUTERBACH was on the outside of the house near the room containing the powder trying to extinguish the flames, when the explosion occurred. The force of the explosion threw the whole side of the house on Mrs. LAUTERBACH, killing her instantly. Mr. LAUTERBACH was badly burned on the arm, while Miss SHUSTER, a niece of the unfortunate woman, was so badly dazed that she wandered about in the snow in her bare feet until her feet were frozen. Mr. LAUTERBACH is well known in Eagle county and has the sympathy of many friends in his misfortune.(14 January 1909, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • LAW, James - James LAW died in Prove, Utah, December 17, so we learn. Jim LAW was one of the early settlers of Eagle county, he and his brothers and father having lived on Battle Mountain for many years. Recently he has been living in Mesa county near Grand Junction, in the Gateway neighborhood. He was taken ill at Grand Junction some weeks ago, and taken to Salt Lake City by his brother, John, who lives in Utah. On the 16th , he was seized with a stroke of paralysis, from which he died the following day.[13 Jan. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LAW, Robert - Death O Robert LAW - One of Eagle County's Oldest Residents Passes Away. At 7:30 o'clock last evening there passed to the Great Beyond another of Eagle County's pioneers, Robert LAW. Coming to this country in 1897 he has resided here continuously and taken an active part in the development of the county. Mr. LAW was one of those rugged characters who feared no hardship or danger and during the early days carried mail afoot over a route sometimes almost impassable. For many years past he has resided at Gold Park, a place of which he was very fond. Mr. LAW was born in Scotland in 1836 and was 73 years old at the time of death.

    He leaves surviving him a widow and three sons, William, James and John, all residents of Red Cliff. The date for the funeral has not yet been fixed.[8 June 1909, Eagle County Blade, p1]

  • LAYTON, Ella - Mrs. Jack LAYTON, passed away at her home in Eagle Wednesday morning, June 15, after a short illness following what appeared to be a slight stroke of paralysis.

    Born in Iowa, May 8, 1859, she moved to Missouri with her parents when a small child and grew to womanhood in that state. In 1884 she moved to Gypsum, Colo., and in 1891 was married to Jack LAYTON in Gypsum. Since that time she and her husband have made this community their home continuously with short excursions abroad, but always calling this home.

    Mrs. LAYTON was a true pioneer woman, during the earlier years of her marriage accompanying her husband on his frequent prospecting trips in the mountains and being a true pal to him on their excursions. She was a good woman, a splendid neighbor, a faithful wife, and a lady highly respected by her neighbors.

    Funeral services were held from the Methodist church in Eagle Thursday afternoon, in charge of Mortician O. W. MEYER, and the funeral sermon was delivered by Miss HOLVERSON, minister of the Four Square church of which the deceased was an adherent. A large crowd of old friends of earlier days and neighbors attended the funeral to pay their last respects to another of the pioneer women of Colorado, whose ranks are fast thinning. The body was laid to rest in the cemetery at Eagle following the services at the church.

    During the services at the church two duets, "Sometime, Somehow We'll Understand," and "He Knows It All," were sang by Mrs. R. R. CRIE and Alvin WEBB, and Mr. WEBB sang a solo, "No Night There." They were accompanied at the piano by Mrs. Vernon MANN.

    The pall bearers were Jos. HARRIS, A. L. FULFORD, Frank BROWN, A. B. KOONCE, H. A. STEIN and Adrian REYNOLDS, jr.

    Mrs. LAYTON is survived by only one known near relative, her husband.[17 June 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LAYTON, Jack - With the death of Jack LAYTON in Eagle last week there passed another of the pioneers of the west, one of those who knew the west of the mining and cow camps from Alaska to the Mexican border.

    Jack LAYTON was born at San Bernadino, Calif., February 21, 1848, coming into life at a time when his native state had started on the boom which drew into its borders one of the greatest influxes of adventurers the world has ever known. Born and reared under this influence Mr. LAYTON started on a quest of adventure in early life. A quest that led him into every mining camp in the country. Prospecting for precious metals was a hobby which lured him to the very last of his active life, and he could talk intelligently by the hour of every mining camp and rich strike of the last century, for he was in the midst of all of them at one time or the other.

    He had been a guest of Eagle county of upward of fifty years, just how long we do not know, but during that time he had prospected every nook and cranny of the county, and could take tirelessly of different sections of the county where ore should exist, and where he was confident it did and eventually would be found.

    Jack LAYTON was the type of the true prospector. Happiest when, with his jack packed with a grub stake, pick and shovel, little else, leading him over un-blazed mountain or desert trials, he sought the lead which would mean fortune overnight. But true to his type, however hopeful a prospect might appear, rarely staying to work it seriously, but moving on to greener fields. Such was the prospector of the eighties and nineties of the last century - practically now extinct - who blazed the way for the rich mining companies that followed in his foot tracks.

    For the past number of years Jack was sorely afflicted. First with an infection of one knee which crippled him, and then the greatest blow of all - his eyesight completely failed him. But through the years of suffering he was patient and uncomplaining, and was always cheerful with friends who would drop in for a visit. Ten days ago he was taken to a hospital for better care, but after a few days there he had a pre - admonition of approaching death and asked to be brought home - there was where he wanted to die. His foresight was true - for Mr. LAYTON passed away suddenly and with little or no pain a few hours after returning to his home in Eagle, on Thursday, November 14, 1940.

    Simple funeral services, under direction of the Andre Funeral Home, were held for the old pioneer at the Methodist church on Sunday afternoon, Rev. F. W. CASSELMAN delivering the funeral discourse. A choir, consisting of Chester MAYER, Charles STANELY, E. E. LEA, and Harry ANDRE, sang "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder," and "In the Sweet Bye and Bye," accompanied at the piano by Mrs. Cora COOK.

    The body was laid to rest beside that of his good wife, who passed on a few years ago, in Valley View cemetery. Pall bearers were A. B. KOONCE, Fred COWDEN, George GRANT, Wm. J. RANDALL, W. R. WOLVERTON and Thos. GLEASON, all friends who had known and respected Jack LAYTON during most of his years in the county.

    Return to Top


  • LEARY, John M. - John M. Leary, an old time resident of Eagle county, died at a hospital in Boston on December 30, from a complication of ailments.

    Deceased and resided in Eagle county for many years, locating on the Piney with his wife in the latter '80's, where by close attention to the ranch and cattle business they soon prospered and were recognized as being among our most substantial citizens.

    During the early days Mr. LEARY was engaged in the freighting business in Summit county with headquarters at Kokomo, then a thriving mining town.

    Mr. and Mrs. LEARY left the homestead last fall, expecting a change of climate might prove beneficial to both, and especially to Mr. LEARY, who had been a sufferer for a number of years with stomach trouble.[9 Jan 1914, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LEE, Mrs. Charles B. - In the early days of this place, Charles B. LEE resided in Red Cliff. On January 15 th Mrs. LEE died at her home in Aspen and the following account of the funeral is from the Aspen Times:

    The funeral of the late Mrs. C. B. LEE who died last Monday, took place yesterday afternoon from the residence of Mrs. Silas BURRILL, on South Mill street. It was very largely attended.

    Rev Sylvanus HAUPERT officiated and in his address paid a great tribute to the life of the deceased. He was preceded by the Rathbone Sisters, whose service was very beautiful.

    A choir consisting of Mesdames CHAMBERS, BURRILL, OBEY and the Rev HAUPERT sang tow appropriate selection, "Nearer, My God to Thee," and "Jesus, Lover of My Soul."

    The solemn procession then escorted the body to Red Butte cemetery, where the Pyramid lodge took charge and gave their impressive service for departed members.

    Those who acted as pallbearers were Messrs. HEAVNER, ODELL, GRANT, SHERBUNDY, SISTIG and MEYERS.

    Numerous handsome floral designs were presented by loving friends.(25 Jan 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • LEISCH, Edward - Mortician Farnum was called to Gypsum Sunday morning to prepare the body of Edward LEISCH, who committed suicide by taking strychnine.

    Deceased was 31 years of age and had been employed on the LANGSTON ranch two miles below Gypsum. He had intimated to fellow workers that he was discouraged with life and was about to end it all, but they did not take him seriously.

    The body was shipped to Chicago, Illinois, for burial. - Glenwood Post. (Eagle Valley Enterprise, 19 May 1922, p.1)

  • LELAND, Herbert - Herb LELAND was born March 12, 1862, at South Berwick, Maine, and passed away in the Empire Zinc Co. Hospital, Gilman, Colo., on Monday, March 18, 1935.

    Herb came to Colorado in 1890 and went to work in a saw mill at Schaeffer's Crossing. Then after a few years he went to Leadville, Colo., and worked for the Williams Lumber Co. In 1902 he came to Red Cliff to work for the Owens Lumber Co., and in 1907 went to work for the Fleming Lumber & Mercantile Co., where he was employed continuously until three years ago, when he retired.

    Mr. LELAND'S friends will miss the familiar face that was so long among them. His closer associates will feel the absence of his kindly counsel and helping hand that was ever extended to aid a fellowman. His was a life of ruggedness blended with a wit that characterized the typical successful pioneer. The deceased is survived by Mrs. Dan MCINTIER, and a sister; a half brother, Fred MCINTIER, and a sister-in-law, Mrs. Fred MCINTIER, all of South Bedwick, Me., as well as a host of local friends. Buried at Red Cliff.{29 Mar. 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LEMON, Edna Stewart - Mrs. Edna LEMON, 86, life-long resident of the Gypsum area, died April 26 at the E. Dene Moore Nursing Home in Rifle after a lengthy illness.

    She was born Edna STEWART on December 1, 1886 at Dotsero. She attended school there, and was married in Eagle to Samuel S. LEMON. Her husband, a rancher and businessman, died April 23, 1961 in Gypsum.

    Mrs. LEMON lived and worked in community affairs in Gypsum for many years. She was a member of the Jehovah Witness Church of Glenwood Springs, and a charter member of the Crater Rebekah Lodge No. 105 at Gypsum. She was preceded in death by two daughters.

    Mrs. LEMON is survived by a brother, Carl L. STEWART of Gypsum; two sisters, Audrey PICKETT of Gypsum and Maude MUSICK of Chatsworth, Calif. and several nieces and nephews.

    Funeral services were held Sunday, April 29. Burial was at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum.(3 May 1973, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.6)

    Fred Lemmon, of Eagle, Killed by Another Reo Grande Train.

    Last night about 11 o'clock, Fred Lemmon, of Eagle, met a violent death on the railroad track about a mile and a half east of Eagle. As passenger train No. 1 was approaching that station the engineer observed under the gleam of the headlight what appeared to be a man lying between the rails. At the same instant the man partly raised himself and before the train could be stopped he was run over.

    The train was stopped and the mutilated remains taken on to Eagle by the train crew. The identify of the man was possibly only from the closthing worn and articles found on the body.

    Ben Lemmon, a brother, and Sam Lemmon, a cousin, identified the remains as those of their relative.

    This is another particularly sad and lamentable ending of a very popular young man. Fred Lemmon had resided in and about Eagle for several years. He was single and about 26 years old and was known as a quiet, industrious and temperate young man, respected by everybody. There is no doubt, however, that last night, he over-indulged and was intoxicated at the time he was killed. The last persons who saw him alive so testify, and it is likely that in the enthusiasm of the Fourth and the meeting with many friends, he found himself intoxicated and made an effort to reach his home alone and was overcome.

    The deceased was employed on the Sherman Bros. ranch for which place he was evidently en route on foot.

    Eagle County Blade, July 5, 1906, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur


    Sam LEMON husband of Edna Steward LEMON, shot and killed himself about noon Sunday, April 23. Sam had been confined to his home the past three years by illness and the past two weeks had been in very serious condition.

    Mr. LEMON came to the Gypsum community in about 1901. In 1905 he was married to Edna STEWARD and this union were born two daughters. One daughter died at birth and Madaline was born in 1921.

    Sam was a rider and rancher for a number of years and after retiring from ranching he worked on construction and later bought the Gypsum Pool Hall which he ran for a number of years. He has been retired for about the past 15 years.

    Survivors in addition to his wife, Edna, are; one daughter, one sister and a host of nieces and nephews.

    Funeral services were held Thursday, April 27, at 2:00 p.m. at the Methodist Church in Gypsum. The Rev. H. C. MOORHEAD officiated and interment was in the Cedar Hill cemetery at Gypsum. The Bowman-Miller Mortuary had charge of the arrangements.(No newspaper name given)


    Last night about 11 o'clock, Fred LEMMON, of Eagle met a violent death on the railroad track about a mile and a half east of Eagle. As passenger train No. 1 was approaching that station the engineer observed under the gleam of the headlight what appeared to be a man lying between the rails. At the same instant the man partly raised himself and before the train could be stopped he was run over.

    The train was stopped and the mutilated remains taken on to Eagle by the train crew. The identity of the man was possible only from the clothing worn and articles found on the body.

    Ben LEMMON, a brother , and Sam LEMMON, a cousin, identified the remains as those of their relative.

    This is another particularly sad and lamentable ending of a very popular young man. Fred LEMMON had resided in and about Eagle for several years. He was single and about 26 years old and was known as a quiet, industrious and temperate young man, respected by everybody. There is no doubt, however, that last night, he over indulged and was intoxicated at the time he was killed. The last persons who saw him alive so testify, and it is likely that in the enthusiasm of the Fourth and the meeting with many friends, he found himself intoxicated and made an effort to reach his home alone and was over come.

    The deceased was employed on the Sherman Bros. ranch for which place he was evidently en route on foot.(5 July 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • LETENDER, A. - Died On the Way

    A. LETENDER, who has been staying at the DEERING ranch near Minturn for some time past, while going from the ranch to Minturn yesterday died before reaching his destination. Mr. LETENDER had been suffering from miner's consumption and wanted to go home in Cripple Creek yesterday morning. Mr. DEERING started to take him to Minturn where he could take a train home. Just before reaching the town LETENDER became very ill and died in the wagon. An undertaker from Cripple creek came today to take charge of the body.(2 July 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • LEWIS, Clarence W. 1903 - 1996

    Clarence William LEWIS of Grand Junction died March 20 at the Palisade Living Center in Palisade. He was 93.

    A graveside service was held March 24 at Gypsum's Cedar Hill Cemetery, with the Rev. Dan BOHALL officiating.

    Mr. LEWIS was a self-employed entrepreneur and Grand Junction resident for the past three years. He was born Feb. 14, 1903 to Henry and Jennie STEPHENS LEWIS in Ridgeway, Wisc., where he spent his childhood and attended school.

    He married Georgia ANDERSON Dec. 1, 1930 in Grand Junction.

    He came to Gypsum in 1925 to work for his uncle, Henry STEPHENS, on a ranch in the Sweetwater area. He lived in Gypsum from 1936 to 1992, when he moved to the Fruitvale area near Grand Junction.

    Survivors include his wife, Georgia; son Glenn W. LEWIS of Lincoln City, Ore.; daughter Barbara JOHNSON of Denver; sister Emma HIMSEL of Verona, Wisc.; grandsons Todd PROCTER, Bradley PROCTOR, Robert PROCTOR and his wife Mary Ann, and William WEIFFENBAUCH; six grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews.

    McLean Funeral Home in Palisade was in charge of arrangements. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 28 March 1996)

  • LEWIS, Glenn William - Glenn William Lewis

    Glenn William Lewis of Black Hawk, Colo,. died Wednesday May 12 at his home. He was 64.

    He was born in Glenwood Springs to Clarence and Georgia Anderson Lewis. He spent his childhood in Gypsum and graduated from Eagle County High School. He moved from Lincoln City, Oregon to Grand Junction two and-a-half years ago. Upon his marriage to Linda Lewis on Jan. 23, 1999, he moved to Black Hawk. He was retired and enjoyed fishing and hunting.

    He is survived by his wife Linda, son Glenn William Jr. of Old Forge Penn., mother Georgia Lewis of Grand Junction, sister Barbara Johnson of Grand Junction, aunts Thelma Wilson of Eagle and Emma Himsel of Verona Wisc., two granddaughters, one great-grandson, three nephews, several cousins and many friends.

    He was preceded in death by his father, Clarence, in 1996 and his son, Steven, in 1987.

    Memorial contributions may be made to the First Lutheran Church in Gypsum or to the AA of your choice.

    Eagle Valley Enterprise - Web posted Sunday, May 30, 1999


    J. Ben LEWIS was one of the early mining men of this district and in the early day was prominent in the organization of the county. The following concerning his death, which occurred on Monday, is from the Denver Republican of Tuesday.

    J. Ben LEWIS, one of the pioneer mining men of the state and a brother-in-law of Attorney T. J. O'DONNELL of this city, died yesterday at the Race sanitarium at Boulder, aged 57 years. Mr. LEWIS was one of the pioneers of the Black Hills country, at Leadville and later resided at Red Cliff, where he engaged in mining and from which district he was elected a member of the Fifth State legislature. He was born in Missouri and was a descendant of General LEWIS, of the LEWIS and CLARKE expedition. He had always been active in mining operations until the exposure consequent to a trip to the Klondike in 1897 undermined his health. He returned last fall and since that time he had been steadily failing until his death yesterday. The funeral will be a private one and the interment will take place at Riverside cemetery.(18 Aug 1904, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

    Return to Top


    Death of Mrs. Fred Light

    One of the saddest cases where death, the dark angel, has claimed a mortal, was recorded yesterday, when word reached the city that Mrs. Fred Light, an ideal wife and mother, had passed quietly to sleep to awake no more on this earth after a week's stuggle for life against the ravages of pneumonia at her valley home on Sopris creek. She passed away aout 10 o'clock, her husband and children being at the bedside when the end came.
    Mrs. Fred Light was born in New York city September 28, 1860, being 45 years old. When a young lady of 22 she came to Aspen to seek her fortune in the west. She taught school at several places in the county for a few years, being highly educated and a most efficient and cultured lady and instructor. In November, 1885, she was married to Fred Light, at that time a prosperous business man of Leadville. Eight children, four girls and four boys, have blessed the union, all of them having been born in Aspen or on the ranch home on Sopris creek.
    Besides the husband to whom she was a faithful and exemplary wife, her home life always predominating over all else, and her children to whom she was a loving, grand and gentle mother, she leaves two sisters, Miss Nellie McClinont(?), who recently visited her on Sopris creek, but is now at Marie, Calif. She has been wired and will probably be here in time to attend the funeral. She also has another sister, Mrs. Annett, residing at Golden, Colo.
    Words are inadequate to express the deep grief and the recognized loss felt, not only in the home circle, but among the scores of friends in town and throughout the vlley, who had grown to love her because of her womanly graces, kindness and sympathetic nature, which was always evident in times of trouble.
    Having resided in this section for 25 years, she had a very large circle of friends and all regret that she should be called in the prime of life with every prospect bright before her, and surrounded by a fine family of boys and girls, the youngest being seven years of age. The children speak only too well of her qualities as a mother and the loving interest she took in rearing her family. She was a good woman, one to be a friend of whom it was deemed an honor; on all sides nothing but words of priase are heard, mingled with sincere regret and sympathy extended to the sorrowing family in their deep bereavement.--Aspen Democrat of June 20.
    Funeral services were held from the Catholic church in Aspen at 11 o'clock Wednesday morning, Rev. Father Dilly saying high mass over the remains.
    Interment was made in the family lot in Red Butte cemetery where her mother is already at rest.
    The casket bearers were M.W. Smith, H.A. Wilcox, J.R. Williams, F.S. Stockman, J.B. Kaser and A.B. Foster.
    Basalt Journal, Basalt (Eagle County), Colorado, Jun. 24, 1905, page 4 - contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

  • LILLY, Scott - Crushed to Death by a Wagon

    On last Friday a man by the name of Scott LILLY met with a fatal accident on the road between Wolcott and McCoy. LILLY was employed by Orman & Crook, the Moffat road contractors, at hauling supplies from the railroad station at Wolcott to the firm's grading camps. He had been out to Wolcott and started on the return with a heavy, broad tired wagon.

    While at Wolcott he drank considerable and left that place with his load in an intoxicated condition. He had evidently fallen from the load and the wheel of the heavy wagon had passed over his body lengthwise. The man was taken to the firm's hospital at McCoy, where he died a short time after his arrival.

    LILLY was well known in the Grand river locality, he having worked around McCoy for several years.(18 April 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • LINDERSMITH, Vic - Rev. Phil GREENE paused during Monday's memorial service for Vic LINDERSMITH, and asked friends and relatives gathered at the Eagle Methodist church to offer a one or two word description of the 82 year old man they were mourning.

    There were a few seconds of silence then two or three voices rang out simultaneously with the same word "storyteller". The following wave of chuckles indicated that every body in the room was familiar with LINDERSMITH's knack for recounting everyday incidents with a touch of wry wit that inevitably left people smiling.

    He drew his stories from experience . Born in Casstown, Ohio on Ma 22, 1911. Vic was one of a family of 10 children. Orphaned at an early age, he was raised by his sisters , and by an aunt and uncle in Montana. many o f LINDERSMITH's stories were about his uncle a rancher who supplemented his income with some intermittent preaching. No doubt that LINDERSMITH experienced some economic tough times as he grew up.

    He liked to tell about the period of time when money was scarce so the family relied on its flock of chickens for most meals.

    "We kids ate some chickens that we had to run and dive under the porch when a hawk flew over." LINDERSMITH would assert with a straight face throughout his life he had a strong preference for meat and potatoes dining.

    LINDERSMITH's experiences as a kid living in a dormitory in town during school sessions spawned a whole set of stories that continued to entertain his friends 70 years later. His sons, Larry and Keith admit that they were gullible enough as kids to be taken in by any number of Vic's taller tales. In retrospect friends say they came to realize that LINDERSMITH grew up to some hard times. But his stories never had a note of complaint. His amusing tales reflect his ability to enjoy life.

    "There were so many thing he could spin into a humorous yarn , stuff that the rest of us never thought anything about." recalls friend Don PRICE.

    In 1930, when LINDERSMITH turned 19, he went to work as a cowboy. He eventually rode into Hotchkiss, Colo. where Lawrence and _____ [BRINTON] and their son Bob took him under their wing. The close relationship amounted to something of a "spiritual" adoption.

    LINDERSMITH used to tell a story about how he and a friend, with all the confidence of youth, decided they wanted to be recognized as real cowboys. They strapped some guns on their hips, and found big spurs for their boots, and headed into town. Within the first few minutes they hit town, the local marshal greeted them and confiscated the guns. Just a short time later, an irritated business owner, told them to loose the jingling spurs. In a mater of a few minutes the would be cowboys were reduced to ordinary youths again.

    In another cowboy story, LINDERSMITH recounted the time that he and a friend got lost in a blizzard while working the cows. As the night grew dark and the storm grew wilder, they realized they were out of options, and hunkered down in the brush where they spent a miserable cold night. When the sun rose and the storm abated, the pair crawled out from the bush only to discover that they were a mere 100 yards from the friend's warm house.

    LINDERSMITH married Zella PENFIELD on May 28, 1939. The couple recently celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary. LINDERSMITH lived in Hotchkiss for 35 years, where he worked as a fruit rancher and a carpenter. Vic and Zella moved to Eagle in 1965, where he worked at the Conoco station, and as an equipment operator for the Kaibab lumber mill.

    LINDERSMITH was one of those men who never really retired. At a time when he probably should have been taking it easy and playing pinochle in the afternoon, he and his cohorts were crawling up ladders to do construction work on the Methodist Church remodeling. LINDERSMITH was 70 years old when he hired on with the Eagle District Forest Service office as a summer campground maintenance worker. He enjoyed the job, and the opportunity to be outdoors. His supervisor, Bill JOHNSON, liked the fact that the affable LINDERSMITH could be paired with anybody on the job. He worked just as well with 17 years old kid as he did with older employees.

    Many of the young people kept in touch with LINDERSMITH over the years, sending him Christmas cares and pictures of their babies.

    "Any time you rode with Vic, it was one story after the next. You never had to worry about keeping up the conversation." says JOHNSON. The stories were continuous. He was the spark of many a coffee-klatch session with friends Emil WOODS, Ira BINDLEY, and Don PRICE.

    The LINDERSMITHS did a lot of traveling with friends over the years. One of Vic's locally famous stories is about the time he was at a restaurant in New York, and the waiter served him a steak that was extremely rare. Vic eyed the steak and then summoned the waiter back to the table.

    "If you can give me a couple of bandages, I think I can get this thing back on its feet again," the ex-cowboy advised the waiter.

    Seven years ago, health problems forced LINDERSMITH to quit the Forest Service. Still, he signed on the work at the new Visitor Information Center in Eagle, and at the time of his death, he was also putting in some time at the Eagle County Historical Museum.

    LINDERSMITH's failing health ultimately demanded major surgery. He remained in a Denver hospital for five weeks until his death on July 30. "Storyteller" was just one of the words people used to describe Vic at the memorial service. They also used the words "good father," "good husband," and "good neighbor," and "hard worker." LINDERSMITH's death also prompted many to recall some of his stories. Only at a service for Vic LINDERSMITH could chuckles mix so easily - or appropriately - with the tears.

    The small man with the knack for tall tales, LINDERSMITH was one of those kind of guys that make everyday life in a small town enjoyable.

    Vic is survived by his wife, Zella; son Larry and daughter-in-law Sidney of Arvada, Colo.; son Keith of Visalia, Calif; grandchildren Eric and Arnette, and great-grandchildren Jessica and Alex. Other surviving family members include Lola and Glen CHAMBERS of Paonia, Colo.,; Olive and Leo DeANGELIS of Albuquerque, NM; Elsie and Norman LANOUE of Grand Lake, Colo.; Ernest and Marie PENFIELD of San Angelo, Tex., and others. (5 August 1993, The Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.6)

  • LINDERSMITH, Zella Ione - The first thing most people noticed about Zella LINDERSMITH was her constant smile. The second thing noticed was probably her infectious laugh. Then, after something made her laugh, she'd follow up with the comment, "I like that".

    Longtime Eagle resident Zella Ione LINDERSMITH, 78, died of cancer Oct. 12 at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs. She will be missed by her many friends and family.

    Zella Ione PENFIELD was born Feb. 6, 1919. She lived in Hotchkiss for over 40 years. Zella married Vic LINDERSMITH in May of 1939. They celebrated 54 anniversaries prior to Vic's death four years ago.

    The LINDERSMITHS moved to Eagle in 1965 where he worked at the Conoco station, and as an equipment operator for the Kaibab Lumber mill. They maintained a modest home at the end of west Sixth Street in Eagle and always had a tidy vegetable garden.

    Zella will be remembered by many longtime residents for her 15 years of work as a cook for the Eagle schools. Those were the days before frozen pizza and chicken nuggets became staples on school lunch menus. LINDERSMITH could happily direct the preparation of a turkey dinner for a couple of hundred elementary school kids, then serve it with a smile. Students and staff clamored for her oven fried chicken or chili and cinnamon rolls.

    Cooking for large groups was one of her specialties. LINDERSMITH was always one of the key figures in the preparation of the United Methodist Women's annual chicken and noodle dinner; in fact, it was LINDERSMITH's touch with homemade noodles that put this annual event on the list of "Can't miss" local events.

    She knew how to work with large quantities of food, she was good at organizing a kitchen crew, and the people who worked alongside her enjoyed her consistently pleasant personality.

    The cooking was as much a part of her as her smile. She turned up periodically in the kitchen at the senior citizen center.

    Family members recall that LINDERSMITH was one of those people who could walk into a room with a smile, and turn a stranger into a friend with her friendly introduction and interested questions.

    "She was bubbly. You always felt good when you met Zella," says longtime friend Laurene KNUPP.

    LINDERSMITH was a mainstay of the senior citizen's exercise class. Her active lifestyle included a weekly water exercise class in Glenwood Springs. She also enjoyed a bit of snow shoeing.

    She loved gatherings and could pull together a party on a half hour's notice. She liked to play games and accepted the good natured teasing of friends about her "Hotchkiss rules" with a smile.

    She was active in many organizations, including the Methodist Women, Hobby Club, Eastern Star in both Hotchkiss and Eagle, and participated in many activities at the Eagle Senior Center.

    The LINDERSMITHS shared a good sense of humor. They also did a lot of traveling in the later years of their marriage.

    A memorial service of Zella will take place at the United Methodist Church in Eagle at 1 p. m. today (Thursday, Oct. 16). A funeral service will be held at the United Methodist Church of Hotchkiss on Friday, Oct. 17, at 1 p. m.

    Survivors include her two sons, Larry, of Arvada; and Keith of Visalia, Calif.; and daughter-in-law Sidney. She is also survived by sisters Lola CHAMBERS of Paonia, Olive DeANGELIS of Albuquerque, N.M., and Elsie LANOUE of Grand Lake; and brother Ernest PENFIELD of San Angelo, Texas; six grandchildren and six great grandchildren, and numerous friends and relatives.

    Memorial contributions may be made to the United Methodist Church of Eagle or the United Methodist Church of Hotchkiss.[16, Oct. 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

  • LINDGREN, Mrs. Jonas - Mrs. Jonas LINDGREN, one of the pioneer ladies of Eagle County, living on the ranch near Gypsum, died at Boulder, Colo., last Monday morning and was buried at Gypsum Wednesday afternoon.

    Mrs. LINDGREN was one of the earliest residents of the county and one of our most highly respected ladies. She had been suffering with a heart trouble for some years, and was taking treatment in Boulder, but was thought by her friends and husband to be improving, until the news came Monday morning of her sudden demise. The death was a shock to the community, and the bereaved husband and relatives have the sympathy of hundreds of friends.[15 Aug. 1924, Eagle Valley Enterprise, P1]

  • LITTLE, A. S. - A. S. LITTLE, treasurer of Eagle County, died at the hospital in Denver Wednesday morning and will be buried in Red Cliff cemetery next Sunday. Mr. LITTLE has been treasurer of this county for several years and leaves a clean record unexcelled by any one. In the loss of Mr. LITTLE the whole county is thrown into bereavement. The Enterprise joins in extending sympathy to the bereaved family. ( 13 May 1914, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

    The news of the death of our County Treasurer A. S. LITTLE on Mar. 11th came as a great shock to his many friends and neighbors. Although a sufferer for many years, yet his death came unexpectedly, for all had hoped for a permanent recovery. Though sixty-five years of age, he was expected to live for a number of years.

    From the home of a daughter, Mrs. HUMMER, where he was visiting and from a hospital in Denver where he died, his body was brought to Red Cliff to his home Saturday night, and buried the following day. Friends in great numbers from all over the county came to be present and offer sympathy to the widow who was sick with pneumonia and constantly under the care of a physician, and unable to attend any of the services of burial. For her benefit a short service was held at the home by the Odd Fellows Order, Mr. LITTLE being a member of St. Basalt Lodge No. 83, Members of the Order from Gypsum and Basalt had charge of all Lodge services of the day.

    Rev. Geo. S. BERGAN, of the Presbyterian church of Minturn and Red Cliff had charge of the religious services. He was assisted by Rev. R. W. LIVERS of the Lutheran church, of Gypsum. Rev. BERGAN spoke very highly of the beautiful life and noble example set before his friends and contemporaries. More than 300 persons were present to hear the tributes paid this loyal official and friend.

    After the beautiful committal service at the grave by Rev. BERGAN, the funeral service of the Odd Fellows was given Mr. WILLITS of Basalt acting as Noble Grand, and Rev. LIVERS, of Gypsum as Chaplain.

    No official in this county has had the loyalty shown him that has Mr. LITTLE. For almost 20 years he was the trusted County Treasurer, and would have remained in office much longer had life been spared. His efficiency and willingness to grant favors to his constituency in a by word in the county.

    Thus one of the grand old men of the county is called away. His deeds will live after him. The sympathy of all is extended to his widow, and to the two daughters, Mrs. HUMMER of Denver, and Miss Isabel of Tampa, Florida. (20 March 1914, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

  • LITTLE, Gus B. - Gus B. LITTLE of late years a resident of Leadville but quite well known in this county, died recently in British Columbia. The remains were shipped to Leadville, the home of his sister, Mrs. L. Agnes MOULTON, where the funeral occurred on Tuesday. Mr. LITTLE was well known in mining circles throughout the state and at various times has been interested in this district.(17 Jan 1901, Eagle County Blade, p. 2)

  • LITTLE, Mary Horr - Widow of Former Treasurer of Eagle County Passed Away in Denver Last Week.

    Mary Horr LITTLE, widow of the late A. S. LITTLE, for many years treasurer of Eagle county, passed away at the home of her daughter, Miss Harriet LITTLE, 1210 East 16th street, Denver, July 21.

    Mrs. LITTLE, with her husband, was one of the earlier residents of Eagle county, living at Basalt, until Mr. LITTLE was elected treasurer of the county nearly twenty-five years ago, when they moved to Red Cliff, the county seat, and remained until Mr. LITTLE'S death in 1914, he being treasurer at the time of his death. After the affairs of the estate were closed up here Mrs. LITTLE moved to Denver, making her home with her daughter, Harriett, and Mrs. Isabell HUMMER.

    The death of Mrs. LITTLE recalls the fact that for nearly a quarter of a century only three men have served this county in the capacity of treasurer--her husband, A. S. LITTLE, his immediate successor. A. F. CARLSON, and the present incumbent, H. K. BROOKS, who is now serving his second term.

    During their residence in Red Cliff Mrs., LITTLE was one of the leaders of the social life of that city, and prominent in all its affairs. Many friends among the older residents of the county not only remember her well, but will regret her death.[2 Aug. 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • LLOYD, Mrs. Clyde F. - Mrs. Clyde F. LLOYD Passes To Her Reward. Death Claimed This Estimable Lady Sunday Morning--Angel Appeared Without Warning.

    News of the death of Mrs. Clyde F. LLOYD at her Red Mountain ranch home last Sunday morning was received in this community as a great shock and the first word of the sad event was received with incredibility, as on one had considered her illness of so serious a nature.

    Mrs. LLOYD had been sick for many weeks, having been stricken with the influenza soon after her return from Chicago some six weeks ago. She never fully recovered from the flu while was followed by attendant complications. Mr. LLOYD came out from Chicago five weeks ago, and had been almost constantly at his wife's bedside since.

    Following a number of days of improvement she had an attack Friday which seriously alarmed Mr. LLOYD and he at once summoned Dr. BRYSON and Dr. HOPKINS. A gathering had formed in the sick woman's neck below the ear, which had been poisoning her system, and which Dr. HOPKINS lanced Friday night. Following this Mrs. LLOYD rallied and Saturday and Saturday night appeared better than at any time since taking sick. The physicians pronounced her condition as such as no fear need be had for her speedy recovery, and those at her bedside all thought the danger was over. Attendants looked in on her early Sunday morning and she was sleeping and breathing naturally. Mr. LLOYD looked into her room about 7 o'clock and as she appeared to be sleeping, retired so as not to disturb her rest. About an hour later when he looked in Mr. LLOYD was not satisfied with his wife's appearance, and on going to her bedside was non-pulsed to see her in the pallor of death. Physicians were summoned, but death had entered and the life of a beloved wife and mother had departed.

    Since coming to Eagle nine years ago Mrs. LLOYD had endeared herself to a wide circle of people, not only those of high station in life, but she numbered among her closest admirers people in all walks of life. Mr. and Mrs. LLOYD first were attracted to Eagle county as merely a summer home, and established a camp on beautiful Lake Charles at the foot of Fools Peak, and Mrs. LLOYD named it "Skyland." After two or three summers here Mrs. LLOYD decided she wanted a permanent home in the valley, and the result of that decision was the purchase of the Sherman Bros. ranch in 1922. Here Mrs. LLOYD found great pleasure in building her ideal of a home. For Mrs. LLOYD was possessed of a keen desire to be doing something constructive and we believe that the outstanding feature of her life was that she was a Builder. A lover of beauty in all its forms--music, art, literature and architecture--she spent her entire time in planning improvements for her beautiful home, and in carrying out these plans.

    She was a poet of considerable ability, and the writer prizes as a gift from this talented lady a little volume of her verse as a testimony of her gifted pen.

    Mrs. LLOYD was without doubt one of our most valuable citizens, beloved for her works and deeds of kindness. For those whom she loved no task or gift was too great, and her ruling passion was in doing for others. This characteristic had lead to many strong attachments, and her admirers were legion in consequence.

    Adele, the only daughter of Colonel and Mrs., J. William TOWSON, was born in Macon, Ga., March 27, 1871. In girlhood she removed with her parents to Shelbina, Mo., where she grew to womanhood, and received an education at the convent of the Sacred Heart in Quincy. She was married early in life to James Jones, who was at that time mayor of Kansas City, Mo. To this marriage was born her only child, Wayne Towson JONES.

    In May, 1905 she and Clyde F. LLOYD were happily united in marriage in Chicago, ill., and this union has been a most congenial one. She was devoted to her husband and son, Wayne, and loyal to their interests and desires. Intimates of his family, knowing of the great love that existed for the deceased woman in the hearts of her two men--husband and son--sympathize most deeply with them in the sorrow which has overtaken them so quickly and unexpectedly.

    Funeral and burial services were held at the home on Red Mountain ranch Thursday afternoon, May 9, and were attended by a great congregation of people who greatly loved and admired the deceased woman. Her body was lovingly laid to rest beneath the sod under the branches of the apple trees in the orchard of the home she loved so well, with the burial services of the Order of the Eastern Star, of which order Mrs. LLOYD was a member during her life time.

    In respect for the dead lady all offices at the courthouse, the bank and other business houses in Eagle were closed Thursday morning during the hour of the funeral.

    May her soul find peace and happiness.[10 May 1929, Eagle County Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • LONG, Carrie May Van Horn - Wednesday afternoon a large portion of the community gathered at the Methodist church to pay their last respects to the earthly remains of Mrs. B. F. LONG, who died at her home in Eagle Monday evening. In the church the casket and altar were pilled high with hundreds of beautiful flowers, tokens of the esteem neighbors and friends of the entire valley. Rev. T.B. McDIVITT delivered a very comforting message from the text: "The Lord is my shepherd. Therefore I will lack nothing

    "He will feed me in a green pasture and lead me forth beside the waters of comfort

    "He maketh my soul to live. He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake

    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of Death, I will fear no evil for Thou art with me. They word and Thy staff comfort me

    "Thow preparest a table before me against them that trouble me. Thou hast anointed my head with oil. My cup will be full

    "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the House of the Lord Forever


    Carrie May VAN HORN was born at Little Falls, NY, December 10, 1877. She departed this life May 31, 1937, at the age of 59 years, five months and twenty-one days.

    At the age of nine years she came with her family to the plains of eastern Colorado where they homesteaded near what is now Burlington, Colo.

    On October 27, 1895, she was united in marriage to Benjamin Franklin LONG, and in July of the following year the young couple made the long trip in a covered wagon to Gypsum, Colo., and made their home and raised their family in Eagle county.

    Through her long years in this community she was ever ready to help and comfort those in trouble. She was loved by her neighbors and there are few who knew her who do not teaser the memory of a time when Mrs. LONG's kind hands helped them through a dark day.

    Leaving to mourn her loss besides her husband are her father, Hervy J. VAN HORN, of Dotsero, Colo.; one daughter, Mrs. Alvin RULE, Eagle, Colo.; Three sons, William of Denver, Edward and Roy, of eagle; three grandsons, two granddaughters and eight brothers and sisters, as follow: Wm. VAN HORN, Columbine, Colo.; John W. VAN HORN, Eagle, Colo.; Earl and Frank VAN HORN, Gypsum, Colo.; Mrs. Lula CARR, Gypsum: Mrs. Geo. ERVINE, Overton, Tex.; Mrs. Lottie GILPIN, Eagle; Mrs. Fannie TIBBETS, Rifle, Colo.

    A quartet consisting of Mrs. Ben RICE, Mrs. Edw. McHATTON, Melvin EATON, and Chester MAYER, sang beautifully the following songs during the service: "I Love to Tell the Story," "Some Day He Will Make It Plain to Me," and "Nearer My God to Thee." Mrs. M.J. GAUT presided at the piano through the service.

    Pall bearers were Wm. H. MORGAN, Jos. D. ALLEN, Judge Wm. H. LUBY, Doris JOHNSON, Nicholas E. BUCHHOLZ, and E. J. BINDLEY.

    The funeral was in charge of Mortician O.W. MEYER of Red Cliff, and after the church services , an large cortege of friends followed the hearse to Gypsum where the body was laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery.

    The bereaved husband and family have the most sincere sympathy of the community in their great loss. Mrs. LONG had been a constant companion of her husband, a devoted wife and mother, and her departure will be sore trial to those who loved her dearly. (4 June 1937, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

  • LONG, Ed

    Ed LONG Died Saturday - Ed LONG, popular Eagle resident died in Veterans Hospital Saturday evening, or a heart ailment, which he had suffered for several years. Mr. LONG, who was born in Gypsum, March 2, 1898, had lived his entire life in Gypsum and Eagle, and it was during service in the Army during World War II that he devolved the heart trouble that led to his medical discharge at Camp Carson in April, 1943. During his younger years, Mr. LONG farmed in the Gypsum and Brush Creek valleys and for a number of years was head irrigator for the C.F. LLOYD Red Mountain Ranch east of Eagle and for several years was employed in the Empire Zinc Company mill at Gillman. For a time he was marshal of the town of Eagle, until his heart condition forced him to retire from any type of exertion. He never married, and maintained his own home in west Eagle. His chief sources of enjoyment were visiting with his numerous friends and jeep trips into the mountains surrounding his home town. He had spent several weeks in the Veterans Hospital during the last two years. His most recent illness kept him confined to the Grand Junction VA hospital for ten days prior to his death. He seemingly was recuperating satisfactorily when a sudden collapse, which took his life, occurred late Saturday afternoon, Oct 30. He was the son of B.F. LONG and Carrie Van Horn LONG, prominent Eagle county couple, who preceded him in death. He is survived by one sister, Mamie RULE, Eagle; and two brothers , Bill of Denver and Roy of Eagle. Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Eagle Wednesday afternoon by Rev. Byron HASSTEDT and a military services was held at the graveside in Gypsum by American Legion Post 150. Bowman Funeral Home directed burial.

    [ Eagle Valley Enterprise - November 4, 1954] (This obit kindley donated by Corinna CASTOR in July 1999)

  • LONG, Frank

    Frank LONG Died Sunday - Eagle river valley lost a respected and prominent citizen last Sunday when Frank LONG passed away, following an illness of several months duration. He suffered a stroke about a year ago and his health continued to fail until his death early Sunday morning. Mr. LONG took an active part in civic and political life of the community and served as commissioner of this water district until a few months ago. He had ranched in the Gypsum valley and on Brush creek and at the same time called nearly every auction sale that was held in the county for many years. Benjamin Franklin LONG was born December 5, 1871 to C.A. and Nancy LONG near Bethany, MO, and came to Colorado as a young man, settling near Stratton before coming to the western slope. In 1895 he was married to Carrie Mae VAN HORN, who preceded him in death. Leaving to mourn his death are their four children, William of Denver and Mayme, Ed and Roy of Eagle. Mr and Mrs. LONG came from the eastern slope to Divide creek near Glenwood Springs and in the late 90's set out for the Gypsum valley, coming over Coffee Pot, where they spent one winter. The LONG family lived in Gypsum and Eagle, coming to Eagle for the last time in 1925, where the LONG home has been maintained since. A sister, Myrtle of Oklahoma city and one brother, Ed of Denver, also survive. the deceased was a member of Castle Lodge 122 A.F. and A. M. Memorial service was at the Community Methodist church at Eagle Tuesday, March 1, the pastor, Rev, P.A. SHIELDS, officiating. Masonic services were conducted by Castle Lodge and interment was in the Gypsum Cemetery. A male quartet, Marion BAKER, Chester MAYER, Charles STANLEY and William STANLEY, sang appropriate music.

    [Eagle Valley Enterprise - March 4, 1949](This obit kindley donated by Corinna CASTOR in July 1999)

  • LONG, George - George LONG died at the County Home in Gypsum last Saturday, September 18, 1926, and was buried in the Gypsum cemetery Monday afternoon.

    LONG was a prospector and miner who came to Eagle following the Lady belle strike in 1913, and has lived in this vicinity since that time. For the past few years he has worked most of the time alone on his mining claim on Horse mountain. For the last two years the old gentleman had bee in poor health, gradually failing until about two months ago he was taken to the county hospital for care and medical attention, the end coming Saturday.

    He is survived by a daughter, who is employed in a department store in Denver and who visited her father about two weeks ago; and a son. The latter was with his father last summer and winter, but left here in the spring, and all efforts to locate him recently have failed. Very little was known here of Mr. LONG's past life, except that he had followed mining in the camps of Colorado most of his life. He was about seventy years of age. (Eagle Valley Enterprise, Sept 24, 1926, p.1)


    One of the most tragic deaths in a number of months occurred on Capitol Creek near Basalt last week when little Larry Ross LONG died following injuries received when he fell from a farm wagon.

    The 4 1/2 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence LONG, was riding on a farm wagon when he was jolted off, falling beneath a rear wheel. The wheel passed over the baby's body, crushing his heart. When his father, who was driving the wagon, picked the child up the little fellow complained of a pain in his stomach.

    Mr. LONG rushed the child to their house, and while Mrs. LONG was changing the child's clothes, preparatory to taking him to a doctor, Larry died in her arms.

    The little body was laid to rest in Basalt, his birthplace, on Saturday, April 17. Services were held at the Methodist church in Basalt.

    The child is survived by his parents, who are employed on the W. J. HYRUP ranch on Capitol creek.(23 April 1943, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p. 5)

  • LOPEZ, Estevan M. - Estevan M. LOPEZ, a long time resident of Minturn, died Jan 27 in Vail. He was 65.

    Mr. LOPEZ was born April 18, 1930 in Chamisal, New Mexico to Maclovio and Matilde LOPEZ. He worked for 30 years at the Gilman Mine until his retirement in 1978. He also served with the U.S. Army in the Korean conflict form 1951 until his discharge in 1954.

    He married Bernie MESTAS in August 1953 in Taos, New Mexico.

    Survivors include his wife, Bernie of Minturn; sons Max (Deelila) of Leadville, Bobby (Sandra), and John LOPEZ, both of Minturn; daughters Diana (Rudy) FRAUSTRO of Edwards, Jan LOPEZ of Boulder, and Patsy (Randy) QUINTANA of Minturn; brother Gilbert LOPEZ of Ojito, NM; sisters Facuanda FRESQUEZ of Llano, NM, Donnie GONZALEZ of Ojito NM, Minnie (Tony) MONDRAGON of Chamisal, NM, Sadie (Florencio) MONDRAGON of Red Cliff; and 10 grandchildren, Maxine, Mathew, Erica, Estevan, Casey, Robby, B.J., Rudy Jr., Carlene, and Shannon.

    Prayer services were held Jan 30 at the Minturn Middle School gym. Funeral services were held Jan 31 at the Minturn Gym, with Pastor Orville STEWART officiating.

    Pallbearers were Max LOPEZ, Bobby LOPEZ, Ralph LOPEZ, Eddie GONZALEZ, Greg COBB, randy QUINTANA, Marvin TROXIL and Rudy FRAUSTRO.

    Internment was at Riverview Cemetery in Minturn, with a reception following at Minturn Town Hall. Bailey Funeral Home of Leadville was in charge of arrangements.

    Return to Top


  • LUBY, Hugh W. - They are passing rapidly, the pioneers who settled this country and within a few years the men and women who braved the hardships of helping build up a civilization in this rugged, wild country will be no more of this earth.

    With the unexpected death of Hugh W. LUBY at his home in Minturn last Friday morning, March 1, another of these pioneers has gone to his reward in the unknown beyond,

    Hugh Wallace LUBY was born in Terra Haute, Ind., on October 16 1867. Died at his home in Minturn, Colo., the first day of March, 1935, at the age of 67 years, 4 months, 15 days.

    His father and mother, John and Jennie LUBY, migrated to Golden, Colo., with a mule team in the year 1878. Still feeling the call of the pioneer, and listening to the inner voice of thrilling adventures, they went to Leadville, Colo., in the year 1879. It was here that Mr. LUBY started work in the round house of the D. & R. G. railroad in 1885, and continued in their employ until about the year 1900, being an engineer with the company when he quit.

    On January 6, 1889, he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Margaret C. DUNBAR, at Leadville, Colo. To this happy union were born five children: Earl, who died in infancy; William H.; Corrine, who was also called into the great beyond while an infant; Jacqueline, who departed this life May 7, 1934; and Gene K. LUBY.

    Mr. LUBY came to Minturn in May 1895, where he has since continuously resided. He entered business in Minturn after leaving the railroad and for the past twelve years has been in the employ of the Minturn Mercantile company, with the exception of two years, when he was recuperating from an operation. He was deputy county clerk and recorder under Ora R. KELLY in 1922.

    The lifetime of Mr. LUBY was spent very largely in working for the public, where his contact with human nature taught him the valuable meaning of good will and friendship one to another. His love for his children and their love for him was mutual, he was often entering into their fun and frolic, which endeared each to the other. This fine trait was greatly appreciated not only by neighbors and friends, but particularly by his own family. A pioneer from childhood, braving the future with optimistic spirit, making the way easier for the present generation by the generous serving for others.

    The illness which took him from us was but short duration and death came to the physical body, releasing the real man to return unto the Giver of all life. He leaves to mourn his going from us his widow; Judge William H, LUBY and County Attorney Gene K. LUBY, both of Eagle; and two grand sons, William Joseph and John Hugh, of Eagle.

    Funeral services were held at Minturn Sunday /afternoon, where hundreds gathered in the Presbyterian church from various parts of Eagle and Lake counties to pay homage to the memory of a most valued friend and citizen. Rev. T. B. McDIVITT delivered a funeral discourse which was highly commended by everyone hearing it. Great banks and garlands of flowers, literally thousands of them, surrounded the body as it lay in state in the church, attesting to the regard held for the deceased. During the services a male sextet sang "Nearer My God to Thee," "There Will Be A Vacant Chair," and "Rock of Ages Cleft For Me."

    Pall bearers were Joel A. MACK, Ora J. TIPTON, Wm. FLYNN, T. F. McBREEN, Robt. COLLINS, Richard ALBERS.

    Directly following the church services the body was taken to Leadville where it was laid to rest in the family burial plot in the cemetery of that place.[1 March 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LUBY, Jessie Jacqueline - A shadow of grief hung over the entire community Monday morning, May 7, when the word spread that Miss Jacqueline LUBY had passed on. The angel of Death came quietly at 2:00 o'clock in the morning, while she peacefully slept. Her passing was symbolical of her life--calm gentle and serene.

    Jacqueline was seriously ill for about eighteen months, and in all that time her sunny and cheerful disposition was dominant. Her greeting to friends was always happy and even though she failed in health and strength she still retained the same sweet smile.

    To know Jacqueline was to love her. Her pleasantness, kindness and charming personality attracted people to her and her friends were legion. Not only was she a friend to those of her own age and station in life, but to all classes and ages. Many lasting friendships were formed with the aged, and nothing was overlooked that she could so for their happiness. She was especially fond of children, speaking of them as "my little friends."

    Her devotion to her family was a thing of beauty, giving thoughtfulness and consideration to the smallest details which might bring comfort and joy to them.

    Her devotion to her family was a thing of beauty, giving thoughtfulness and consideration to the smallest details which night bring comfort and joy to them.

    A most beautiful unselfish, noble character was hers and her memory will be a joy and inspiration to all with whom she came in contact.

    Jessie Jacqueline LUBY, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh W. LUBY, was born October 26, 1894 at Leadville, Colo., and passed away May 7, 1934, at the home of her parents at Minturn, Colo. When seven months old her parents moved to Minturn, where Jacqueline later attended grade school. She completed the high school course at Mount Saint Scholastics Academy at Canon City, graduating as valedictorian of her class. In 1917 she became an employee of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Co., as a clerk at the round house in Minturn. This position she held for five years when she was promoted to the fuel department with offices in the Equitable Building in Denver. Seven years later she was laid off due to a reduction in force and in a short time entered the employ of the Colorado Life Company of Denver, which position she held until the time of her illness. She was exceedingly popular with her office associates and employers, as was shown by their keen interest all through her illness.

    Surviving her are her parents, two brothers, Wm. L. LUBY and wife, and Gene K. LUBY, and two nephews Billie and Johnnie LUBY.

    Funeral services in charge of Rev. T. B. McDIVITT of Eagle, were held Thursday afternoon, May 10. At the services a quartet, composed of Miss Grace EGGEBROTEN, Mrs. R. W. COX, and Messrs. Rice PALMER and Warner BURBANK, sang "Abide With Me," "Rock of Ages" and "Nearer My God to Thee."

    Pall bearers were J. D. ALLEN, T. F. TIPTON, Paul CRAWFORD, and Carl V. NORGAARD.

    Burial was made in the Leadville cemetery.

    As a testimonial of the great esteem in which Jacqueline was held by so many people was the great banks of flowers which filled the church. Great banks and wreaths of flowers covered the rear of the pulpit six or eight feet high, and was one of the greatest displays of flowers ever seen in this community at a similar occasion.[11 May 1934, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LUBY, William Joseph - William Joseph LUBY of Grants Pass, an alumnus of the old Eagle High school, died Aug 13 at Three Rivers Community Hospital and Health Center, Dimmick Campus. He was 68.

    Family services were held shortly after.

    He was born May 7, 1928 in Colorado Springs, Colo., and attended schools as a youth in Eagle County. He later received his bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Colorado at Boulder. During world War II he served in the US Army and rose to the rank of sergeant.

    After attending Colorado Banking School, he began his 41 year career as a banker in Steamboat Springs for Routt County national Bank, which later became United Banks of Denver. He married Jane Katherine DeKAY in Boulder on April 21, 1952. He moved to Grants pass from Steamboat Springs on June 30, 1989.

    He served on the Steamboat School Board for 14 years and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4264, and the National Ski Patrol. He achieved an Eagle Scout badge during his early years and enjoyed volunteering as a Scoutmaster. In Grants Pass, he belonged to the Rogue Gem & Geology Club.

    Survivros include his wife, Jane LUBY of Grants Pass; sons William of Snohomish, Wash., and Michael LUBY, O.D. of Grand Junction; daughters Mary KEOGH of Hastings, Neb., betty TORRES of Tillamook, Ore., and Patricia LUBY of Steamboat Springs; brother John LUBY of Ordway, Colo; twelve grandchildren and four great-grandchildren; and cousin Tom LUBY of Eagle. (5 Sep 1996, Eagle Valley Enterprise)

  • LUCKSINGER, Louise

    Louise Lucksinger, Carbondale native and a former Basalt postal clerk, died on, Nov. 19, 2000 in Wyoming. She was 90.

    Funeral services were held Wednesday at Mortimore Funeral Home in Thermopolis, Wyo. with Pastor W. Wayne Meier, Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, officiating. Burial followed at Monument Hill Cemetery.

    Louise was born June 12, 1910 in Carbondale, the daughter of William E. and Vera J. (Pearson) Paterson. She graduated from Carbondale High School in 1926 and attended Western State College in Gunnison for one year. She then taught school for one year at Slater, Colo.

    She married George Lucksinger on March 1, 1930 in the Congregational Church in Craig. The couple had one daughter, Joan June Lucksinger Casto. The family lived at Basalt where George and three of his brothers managed the Lucksinger Ranch until the ranch was sold in 1963 to the Colorado State Game and Fish Department.

    In 1949, Mrs. Lucksinger was appointed postal clerk in the Basalt Post Office, working there 16 years until she had to take disability retirement due to a heart attack.

    The family moved to Thermopolis, Wyo. in 1969. Louise joined the Mutual Home Improvemnet Extension Club in the spring of 1970. She enjoyed crafts, reading, fishing, playing cards and pool. Most of all she enjoyed her friends. She became a member of the Rebekah Lodge in Carbondale in 1917 and held her membership for 83 years.

    She is survived by sister Vera Kyner Worland, nephews Jim Kyner Worland, John, Bill and Don Paterson of Mesa, Ariz., Jimmie E. Lucksinger of Delene, N.M., William Lucksinger of Henderson, Nev., nieces Helen Paterson Fenski of Waterloo, Wis., Mary Ellen Lucksinger Spielman and Francis Kay Lucksinger Alexander of Grand Junction. She was preceded in death by her husband, daughter, parents and a brother.

    Mortimore Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

    The Valley Journal

  • LUMLEY, Abraham - An illness which had continued for more than a year past resulted in the death early this morning at St. Mary's hospital of Abraham LUMLEY, pioneer resident of western Colorado and father of Charles LUMLEY, sheriff of Mesa county. He succumbed this morning at one o'clock states the Grand Junction Sentinel of February 12. Hopes for his eventual recovery at the hospital, were he had been confined for the past eleven months, had been abandoned some time previously.

    Abraham LUMLEY had lived in western Colorado practically continuously since 1879, and would have been 82 years of age this month. He was born in New London, Canada, on February 25, 1848. At the age of 16 years he moved with his family to Franklin county, Iowa.

    In Hampton, Iowa, he was united in marriage to Nettie FLUMMERFILT, to which union three children were born. They were Charles LUMLEY of Grand Junction, Mrs. Rose FULFORD of Berkeley, Calif., and Mrs. Della May MOORE, who passed away in Iowa 12 years ago. Mr. LUMLEY and his family first came to Colorado in 1879, at which time they settled in Leadville, After living there a short time, they moved to Tincup, a mining camp near Gunnison, residing there until 1888. In the latter year, they again changed their residence to Aspen, remaining there a few years before finally locating in Eagle. Mr. LUMLEY was a leading citizen of this community for many years being first attracted to the New York mountain mining district at Fulford. For years he was in business here and a leader of all of the town's activities.

    A number of years ago Mr. and Mrs. LUMLEY had moved to California, making their home in Los Angeles, with their daughter, Mrs. FULFORD. Mrs. LUMLEY passed away in Los Angeles December 12, 1924. Three years ago Mr. LUMLEY went to Grand Junction to make his home, but his health was failing steadily and he was finally taken to the hospital.

    In addition to his two living children, Mr. LUMLEY is survived by two sisters, Mrs. John T. SPROULE of New York City, Frances PERSONETTE of Hampton. Other brothers and sisters preceded him in death. He is also survived by six grand children, and a niece, Mrs. Jesse THOMAS of Eagle.

    Mr. LUMLEY during his many years of residence in western Colorado, had enjoyed a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, especially in Eagle. He was a member of the Eagle camp of the Woodmen of the World.

    Friends all over Eagle county will learn with sorrow of the passing of another of the pioneers who was so active in building up this community.[21 Feb. 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LUNDGREN, Adolph - Adolph LUNDGREN was born in Wannas, Sweden, September 30, 1859, and died in the Glenwood Springs Sanitarium, Nov. 9th, 1916, aged 60 years, 1 month, 9 days.

    He came to the United States in 1877, living in Michigan, 2 years and then moved to Montana. In 1893 he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Andersen, who also came from Wannas, Sweden. In 1907 they took up their residence in Gypsum.

    He leaves to mourn their loss, a wife, 2 daughters, Mrs. E. Engstrom, of Leadville and Miss Minnie of Gypsum, and one son Elmer, who is at home with his mother; 4 brothers, Erick Fosgren, Alaska, Carl Sackrason, Wannas, Sweden; Jonas LINDGREN, and S. Shogren, of Gypsum.

    He entered business in Gypsum in Nov. 1913.

    He had been a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1907. He was a member of the Gypsum Lutheran church.

    The funeral service was held Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Lutheran church, conducted by Rev. B. F. ROSS, of Eagle.

    Adolph LUNDGREN was a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge at Gypsum and the full membership of the lodge was present. The weather was inclement and helped to deepen the gloom cast over the community by the sudden death of Mr. LUNDGREN, who as a farmer and merchant has gained the friendship and esteem of all. He was a man of upright character, fair and square in all his dealings, guiding his conduct by the golden rule instead of confining himself to the gathering of dollars by any and all means. He was a sincere democrat, believing in the doctrine of equal rights to all. He is a loss to all and his memory will live long in the hearts of his man friends.[17 Nov. 1916, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

  • LUNDGREN, Mrs. Anna Katherine - Mrs. Anna Katherine LUNDGREN was born in Sweden Sept. 3, 1876, and died in Salida at the Red Cross hospital August 23, 1918, age 41 years, 11 months and 20 days. She came to Montana in 1893, and was united in marriage to Adolph LUNDGREN in 1907. They purchased a ranch in Gypsum, Colorado, and later started a general merchandise store. November, 1916, her husband died after a short illness at the Glen sanitarium, and after his death she and her daughter, Minnie, continued the business. She leaves to mourn her loss, three children, a sister, in Norrie, Colorado, a father and four sisters, three brothers in Sweden. The children and relatives have the sympathy of Gypsum, Eagle and surrounding country in this their great sorrow.

    Mrs. LUNDGREN had many friends and was a good neighbor loved by all who knew her, and will be greatly missed, not alone by her own family. But no! that look is not the last;

    We may meet where scraphs dwell, Where love no more deplores the past

    Nor breaths that withering word farewell.[30 Aug. 1918, Western Slope Enterprise, p1]

  • LUNDGREN, Minnie Catherine - Minnie Catherine LUNDGREN was born in Hamilton, Mont., on September 15, 1896, where she spent her early childhood. In 1907 she came with her family to Gypsum to visit, and it was then they decided to make it their home.

    She attended the Gypsum grand school, Eagle County High School, and the Barnes Business College in Denver.

    When her father started the store in 1912, Miss Lundgren became bookkeeper for him, and acted in that capacity until his death five years later, at which time she assumed active management.

    In 1920 the mercantile became known as Beal & Lundgren, and remained so for ten years, and then Miss Lundgren's brother, Elmer, became her business partner. Her other interest were her ranch property and cattle.

    She was a member of Eagle Chapter No. 86 O.E.S., and a post noble grand of Crater Rebskah Lodge No. 1055, and also served as district deputy of this organization.

    She lived a very active life, taking part in all community, civic and church affairs until ill health forced her to bed, where she was confined a part of her last ten years of life. Just recently, however, she was enjoying a reasonably normal life and had gone to Denver with her brother and sister on Sunday, September 20. She was stricken suddenly late Sunday night and passed away early Monday morning.

    Funeral services were held at the Lutheran church in Gypsum on Wednesday, September 24, and interment was in Cedar Hill cemetery in Gypsum.

  • LUNNY, Ed - At the coroner's inquest held last Friday evening over the body of Ed LUNNY found in the Eagle River above Eagle Thursday, the jury, composed of Art TANDY, Bert FULLER, George WILKINSON, M. Z. McGLOCHLIN, H. L. TORREY and R. H. MESSA, rendered the decision that the deceased came to his death by means unknown to the jury. The inquest was delayed for the arrival of the father and a sister of the deceased from Glenwood. Saturday morning the body was shipped to Leadville for interment.

    As developed the man was last seen at Edwards on the 8th of July. He had stopped a day or two in Red Cliff and expected to come to Eagle where he planned on securing a few days employment. When seen in Edwards he was on his way here. The report of foul play found little support in evidence before the coroner's inquest, the watch in his coat pocket had not been molested. Seemingly he had lain down under the shade of some trees for a rest and perhaps in his sleep or in a semiconscious state had fallen into the river and drowned.

    Aug. 1, 1913, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • LUPTON, Mary E. - Mary E. LUPTON, was born in Highland county, Ohio, March 12, 1850; died in Gypsum, Colo., October 31, 1919, aged 69 years, y months and 29 days. She removed to Kansas, thence to Aspen, Colo., where she united in marriage with A. E. MUCKEY. Shortly after their marriage they moved to Gypsum, where her husband departed this life September 29, 1917. She is survived by one sister, Mrs. L. B. FOSTER, of Alton, Kan.; and four brothers, W. LUPTON, of Beaver City, Nebr.; J. B. LUPTON, of Biglow, Kan.; Al LUPTON , of Pawnee City, Nebr.; and J. W. LUPTON, of Gypsum, with whom she resided at the time of her death.

    She was converted and united with the Christian church, and always remained a devoted follower of the Savior, in deed as well as in word. She died as she lived, thinking never of self but always of others. Her chief concern, even during her illness, was for the happiness and comfort of others. She was blessed with a large circle of loving friends who endeavored to fill the days of her illness with cheer and sunshine.

    She died in absolute faith and confidence in a loving Savior, and spoke freely of her readiness to meet her God. Funeral services were conducted at the M. E. church at Gypsum; by Rev. L. G. HONNOLD, and the body laid to rest in the Gypsum cemetery. L. G. H.[7 Nov. 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p3]

    Return to Top


  • LYNAM, Troy - Troy LYNAM died suddenly of coronary heart disease at his home in Santa Paula, Calif.,, June 18, 1932. Mr. LYNAM was a son of Mrs. H. E. CHRISTENSEN, and was for many years a resident of Eagle.

    Mr. LYNAM was born in Logansport, Ind., on November 1, 1890. He leaves his widow, Dora; his mother. Mrs. H. E. CHRISTENSEN, and a brother, D. Carl JONES, of Fillmore.

    He was a member of Santa Paula Lodge No. 291, A. F. & A. M., Santa Paula Lodge No. 6, Knights of Pythias and the Order of the Eastern Star.

    He took his Masonic degree in Castle Lodge, Eagle, Colo., and joined the Eastern Star there in 1918. He transferred his membership years ago. Last year he was chancellor commander of the Santa Paula lodge of Knights of Pythias.[1 July 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top

    Return to Eagle County Main page

    Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb