HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:47:54 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Click on the name below to jump to the location on this page.

PA * PE * PH * PL * PO * PR * PU *


  • PACKARD, L. C. - Word was received Sunday afternoon by E. D. PACKARD of Gypsum of the death of his brother, L. C. PACKARD at the latter's home in Paso Robles, California.

    The deceased was for many years a prominent citizen of Eagle county at Gypsum where he still owns a very fine home. He had been in poor health for many years, and about a year ago moved with his wife and son to California where his health seemed to be better until recently. The news of his death is received among his friends in this county with great sorrow and the widow and son have the heartfelt sympathy of the community in their loss.[9 June 1922, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PALLISTER, Ella - Friends and neighbors of the PALLESTER family of West Lake creek were both surprised and shocked to learn of the death of Mrs. Tom PALLISTER last Saturday evening. Mrs. PALLISTER was stricken suddenly and her husband and a neighbor, Bill DeGRAW had started to bring her to a doctor in Eagle, when she died in Mr. PALLISTER'S arms before they had more than got started. The physicians pronounced the cause of her death to be heart trouble.

    Ella Lillian TOURVILLE was born on June 25, 1882, at Tennessee Pass, and died at her home on West Lake creek in Eagle county, Saturday evening, September 5, 1936, at the age of 54 years, 2 months and 19 days.

    She was married to Thos. PALLISTER July 10, 1899. To this union were born thirteen children, of whom ten are left to mourn her death, as follows: Mrs. Hannah MATNEY, Eagle, Colo.; Richard PALLISTER, San Ann, Calif.; Thomas PALLISTER, California; Mrs. Nellie DAY, Wolcott, Colo.; William PALLISTER, Edwards, Colo.; Mrs. Margaret SCHOENFIELD, Cripple Creek, Colo.; Mrs Ethel ROBINSON, Edwards, Colo.; Miss Lola PALLISTER, Lucile PALLISTER, and Master Glen PALLISTER, of the home near Edwards, Colo.; besides an aged mother, Mrs. Mary TOURVILLE, of Glenwood Springs, Colo.; one brother, Wm. TOURVILLE, Salida, Colo.; a brother, John TOURVILLE, Glenwood Springs, and a sister, Mrs. Carrie DORSEY of Findley, Ohio. One brother, Henry TOURVILLE, passed away in Oklahoma in 1911. There are also five grandchildren, besides a host of neighbors who mourn her passing.

    The community was sadly stricken when Mrs. PALLISTER was taken from its midst. She was a kind, patient, loving wife and mother, never complained with all the pains and aches which we all seem to have.

    Funeral services attended by a large concourse of neighbors were held at the Edwards hall Wednesday afternoon, September 9, Rev. Mr. McDIVITT conducting the services, and the body was laid to rest in the Edwards cemetery.


    Another tragedy occurred in the county yesterday, the scene being on Lake creek. John PALLISTER was shot to death at his ranch by L. A. SIDDALL, son of D. E. SIDDALL. The affray occurred about 11 o'clock in the forenoon, and news was soon afterward telephoned to the sheriff and coroner.

    Sheriff Frank FARNUM, Under Sheriff NIMS and Coroner W. H. FARNUM started for the scene with a rig and at Minturn met young SIDDELL accompanied by his father and Charles TOURVILLE, a neighbor, on route to the county seat to give himself up. The under sheriff returned to the county seat with the party while the sheriff and coroner went on to the scene of the tragedy.

    The abbreviated story of the fatal affray as told by L.A. or "Bert" SIDDALL is as follows: Through some horse deal which the SIDDALLS had supposed was closed satisfactorily to PALLISTER at the time, PALLISTER has lately claimed a balance due him of $5. Yesterday morning Bert SIDDALL passed PALLISTER's place, met the latter and had a talk with him about the matter. PALLISTER blustered a good deal and threatened and said he had sent for the sheriff to come and get the horse over which the dispute arose. Bert claiming to be desirous of avoiding any trouble, went to a neighbor, William McCOURTIE, borrowed $5 and returned to PALLISTER's premises. At McCOURTIES the nature of his errand back to PALLISTER's was explained and William GOFFIN followed and is said to have been an eye witness of what followed. Upon SIDDALL's reappearance on the premises PALLISTER, bearing a 30-40 Winchester rifle, met him at the barn. SIDDALL tendered him the $5, when PALLISTER flew into a rage, knocked the money from the young man's hand and with a threat thrust the muzzle of the rifle against SIDDALL's body. SIDDALL grasped the weapon and forced it aside, at the same time drawing his own revolver, a 38 caliber, and began shooting. In the struggle at close quarters PALLISTER lost possession of his own gun and made for the house calling to his family to bring him the other gun (presumably a shot gun.) SIDDALL followed him up and exhausted his revolver, four shots, without disabling PALLISTER. Then, fearing the latter would secure the shot gun, SIDDALL hastily returned to the scene of the commencement of the trouble, snatched up the Winchester from the ground and shot and killed PALLISTER just as he reached this door.

    The Blade is unable at this time to secure the story of the eye witness or of PALLISTER's family. However this will likely be heard at the inquest which in all probability is being held today. Young SIDDALL claims self defense and believes that his prompt action alone saved his life.

    No one familiar with the conditions which have for some time past existed in the vicinity of Lake Creek will be surprised to hear of the tragedy. Whether for good reasons or not, the entire community has lived in fear and dread of John PALLISTER. There has been a good deal of devilment committed in the neighborhood and of late years it has all been laid at PALLISTER's door. Stock has been wantonly shot and killed on the range; fires mysteriously started; property stolen; machinery damaged unaccountably, and three men have mysteriously disappeared. PALLISTER has never been accused before a court of any of this mischief but the belief among his neighbors is that he was guilty of all of it. Complaint was not made, because such evidence as would have to be produced in court could not be secured and everybody feared to take the matter up on account of the vengeance which they believed would follow.

    On the night of November 21, 1894, Mr. PALLISTER was shot and severely wounded by one Dan WRIGHT. WRIGHT and his brother Henry were on a drunken spree and frightened Mrs. HAWLEY and her daughter, who fled from their house to PALLISTER's place for protection. The latter started out after the belligerents and met them. In the encounter part of his lower jaw was shot away by Dan WRIGHT. WRIGHT was afterward convicted of an assault, we believe, at least his sentence was 60 days in the county jail.

    Young SIDDALL will be taken before a justice today and a preliminary hearing will doubtless be held as soon as the attendance of the district attorney can be had, when more information on both sides will likely be brought out.(24 July 1902, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

  • PALMER, Robert E. - Robert E. PALMER died last week at Cheyenne, Wyoming. The announcement of Mr. PALMER's death was a shock to many friends in this county, where he was well known. The following particulars are from the Herald Democrat:

    Assayer H. M. POST yesterday received a letter from Robert PALMER, Jr., who is now at Taylor park, announcing the death of his father, Robert E. PALMER. Mr. PALMER had gone to Cheyenne, Wyoming, on a visit, and was taken suddenly ill and passed away before any of the relatives could reach him.

    "Bob" PALMER is well known in Lake and Eagle counties, and for many years past had been interested in properties in Taylor hill. He was manager for a prospecting enterprise that operated the Kentucky Boy and El Capitan shafts, and for all these years his faith in that section had never wavered. He was exceptionally well posted on the geology of the district, and his tireless efforts to interest capital have resulted in a large amount of work being done there. Two years ago Mr. PALMER was a candidate for the legislature on the Democratic ticket in Eagle county. He was about 51 years of age.(16 Oct 1902, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)


    A most remarkable accident, attended by fatal result happened last week on Sheep Creek on the Yarmony range.

    Dick PANTING runs a large bunch of horses in that country, and a young Englishman, a nephew, was rounding up a bunch of brood mares. A heavy storm burst upon the man and horses accompanied by severe lightning.

    Upon the young man not putting in an appearance search was made and resulted the following day in the discovery of the corps and the bodies of twelve dead horses. All having apparently been killed by a terrific bolt of lightning.

    Burial was made at Radium.(28 July 1910, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

  • PANTING, Richard - Richard PANTING, one of the pioneers of the north side of the county, died at his home near Sheephorn July 27, and was buried at McCoy Sunday.

    The deceased came to Burns many years ago. Born in England, he first settled in New York state, later coming to Colorado. He leaves a wife and two brothers in this country, Arthur PANTING of McCoy, and Frank PANTING formerly of McCoy, but now living in Alaska. He was about 65 years of age at the time of his death.[3 Aug. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PARIS, John - Jack PARIS of Red Cliff died in Gilman hospital Tuesday, April 5, 1932, after an illness of three days with pneumonia.

    The deceased man had been a resident of the Battle mountain district for more than twenty years, where he followed mining, having been a very successful operator in years past. He was born of Italian parents in north Italy 56 years ago this coming May, and came to the United States and Colorado in his early manhood.

    Mortician O. W. MEYER took charge of the body, and conducted funeral services which were held at Red Cliff last Sunday and the body laid to rest in Evergreen cemetery at Red Cliff. Mr. PARIS said but little of his family connections and so far as known had no near relatives in this country.[15 April 1932, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PARKISON, W. S. - Eagle Loses a Good Friend and Glenwood Her Foremost Citizen. In the death of W. S. PARKISON of Glenwood Springs the people of Eagle and vicinity feel that they have lost one of their very closest friends. The news of his entirely unexpected death at his home Thursday evening was received here Friday morning with great surprise and much sorrow. Mr. PARKISON'S interest in Eagle and the surrounding country could scarcely been greater had he been a resident here. He had unbounded faith in the future of Eagle and was one of the town's greatest boosters. His demise will be keenly felt here.

    Speaking of his death the Glenwood Post says: "Mr. PARKISON had enjoyed almost his usual good health, giving careful attention to his business until just a day or two prior to his demise, when he complained of being tired. Thursday afternoon he left the store somewhat earlier than usual, walked to his home and laid down to rest. Mrs. PARKISON asked him if he was sick, and he replied in the negative, qualifying the answer by the statement that he felt a little tired. However, he did not complain, and ate supper as though enjoying his usual good health.

    The end came about 9:30 p.m., while sitting in his own home reading a book. Mrs. PARKISON was sitting near him, also reading. Suddenly the book dropped from his fingers, there was a gasping sound and one of Glenwood's most prominent citizens had passed away."

    Mr. PARKISON had been a resident of Colorado since 1881, going to Central City, and had been in the drug business in Glenwood since 1886. He was married to Miss Maude E. BERTENSHAW in Central City in 1887, and she together with their two sons; Walter and Harold, are living to mourn his death, to whom his sudden going must have been a great shock.

    The funeral services were held from the family residence in Glenwood Sunday afternoon and the body laid to rest with the rites of the Masonic order, Mr. PARKISON being a member and past grand master of Glenwood Lodge No. 65, and also a member of Royal Arch Chapter No. 22.

    Hundreds of Eagle county friends join in extending sympathy to the loved ones of the deceased.[11 Mar. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]


    About 7:25 Friday morning L. F. PARTRIDGE was accidentally struck by a Denver & Rio Grande train in the yards at Minturn and instantly killed. Mr. PARTRIDGE was on his way to breakfast when he was run down by the local freight train consisting of engine No 576, one car and the caboose. The train was in the back ward motion when the unfortunate man was struck. He was dragged about seventy five feet and his body badly mangled.

    It is evident that the deceased did not hear or see the approaching train, and all members of the train crew testify to not having seen him until after the accident. An incident of the unfortunate accident is that the victim's little dog was with him at the time and was also killed.

    Coroner GRAPHAM was called to the scene and investigated the case. the tragedy was clearly an accident and the coroner deemed an inquest unnecessary, and the body was turned over to John M. BAUMEISTER, the deceased's friend and business associate.

  • PASCHAL, William H. - William H. PASCHAL died at the home of H. P. OLESON last Friday, September 24th 1909, from tuberculosis. He had been a sufferer with the disease for a number of years, but not until recently was there a marked failing in his health.

    The deceased came to this country some twenty years ago from Texas and has during that time been employed as a cowboy by a great many of the stockmen. He has no relatives in this part of the country, but a brother and several cousins still reside in Texas. An effort was made to communicate with them but they could not be found. He was 53 years of age at the time of his death and retained remarkable vitality up to three weeks ago.

    The funeral was held last Sunday from the M> E. church, Rev. F. H.. ROSE conducting the services. Interment was made in the Eagle cemetery.[1 Oct. 1909, Eagle County Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


  • PEARCH, Elmo Lavern - E. L. "Vern" PEARCH, long a ranch man living on Squaw creek, was called in death Monday, March 2, being in the Gilman hospital at the time.

    For the past three or four years Mr. PEARCH and his family have been living in Leadville. A week or so previous to his death his son, Thomas brought his father down to the ranch to stay for a short while. When he returned to take him home he found his father quite ill, and took him to the hospital in Gilman, where he died.

    Elmo Lavern PEARCH was born in Bloomington, Wis., March 23, 1878. In 1881, he came to Leadville, and some years later came to Eagle county and located a homestead on Squaw creek. he was always interested in mining and was well known in mining circles in both Eagle and Lake counties.

    He was united in marriage to Miss Julia O'MALIA October 14, 1915, at Edwards, Colo. To this union were born two children, Thomas L. PEARCH, and Katherine YANDELL, both living. Others surviving are the widow, Julia PEARCH; a sister, Mrs. Lillie WISE; a half brother, Gene SCHWENINGER; and two daughters by a former marriage, Mrs. Minnie REYNOLDS, and Mrs. Agnes WALSH.

    Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon from the Moynahan - O'MALIA funeral chapel in Leadville, with Rev. H.L. TAYLOR of the Presbyterian church delivering the funeral discourse. The body was laid to rest in the A.O.U.W. cemetery. pall bears were; W.W. WALSH, Clarence McMURROUGH, Angelo TRAVISON, William HENDERSON, Morley KITE and Irwin REST.

  • PEARCH, Ruby - Ruby PEARCH was born in Edwards, Colorado, in 1900, and died in California April 25, 1913. She had been ill since the first of January with heart trouble, and in February accompanied by her mother, went to California for the benefit of her health, but the climate there seemed to do her no good and she gradually grew worse, until April 25, when she passed to the world beyond. The remains were shipped home and arrived in Edwards, April 29, and the funeral services were held on the 30th, where she was buried in the Edwards cemetery. Ruby was a very pleasant child and all who knew her were devoted to her, and all sincerely mourn her departure from this world below.[9 may, 1913, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PEARCH, Thomas Levern - Funeral services will be held Thursday, April 16, for Thomas Levern PEARCH, 74, who died April 11 at the Vail Valley Medical Center.

    He was born Sept. 23, 1917 to Elmo Levern and Julia O'MALIA PEARCH in Leadville. Raised on Squaw Creek, Mr. Pearch later served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He married Barbara GLEASON on Nov. 9, 1947 in Eagle.

    He worked as a heavy equipment operator at Camp Hale and at Climax. He also worked as an auctioneer and in real estate.

    A member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion and the I.O.O.F., Mr. PEARCH enjoyed hunting, fishing, the vast outdoors and children.

    He is survived by his wife, Barbara PEARCH, of Eagle; sister Katherine GREENE of Oak Hill, WV; and niece, Karen HEESE, of Beckley, WV.

    Visitation will be held Thursday, April 16, at the Farnum-Holt Funeral Home from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and continuing at the Eagle Community United Methodist Church prior to the funeral services.

    Services begin at 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the church with the Rev. Phil GREEN officiating. Burial will follow at Sunset View Cemetery in Eagle.

    Memorial contributions may be made to the Vail Valley Medical Center, 181 Meadow Dr., Vail, Co., 81657, or to the Senior Center c/o Carol Knoll, POB 927, Eagle, Co. 81631.

    (from the Vail Daily) Thomas Levern PEARCH died April 11 at the Vail Valley Medical Center. He was 74.

    Born to Elmo Levern and Julia in Leadville in 1917, PEARCH was raised in Squaw Creek. He married Barbara GLEASON in Eagle in 1947. After serving in the Navy during World War II, Pearch worked as a heavy equipment operator in Camp Hale and Climax and in real estate.

    But it's his work as a talented auctioneer that put him in the public arena. For 27 years, PEARCH volunteered his expertise at the annual Eagle Valley Community Fund Auction and Rummage Sale.

    "We loved his down-home humor and honest," said rummage sale chairperson Vi Brown. "Going to any of his auctions was a treat because he always kept you laughing."

    "It's a great loss to the county," she added. "He was a wonderful link between the upper and lower ends of the Eagle Valley. His local color and wit will be missed, and the rummage sale just won't be the same without him."

    Besides his work, PEARCH enjoyed hunting, fishing, children and was a lover of nature. He was a member of the Veteran's of Foreign Wars, American Legion and the I.O.O.F.

    Preach is survived by his wife Barbara of Eagle, a sister Katherine GREENE of Oak Hill, West Virginia and a niece Karen HEESE of Beckley, West Virginia.

    Visitation will be on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Thursday from 8 to 11 a.m. Services will be Thursday at 2:30 p.m. at the Eagle Community Methodist Church in Eagle with the Rev. Phil GREEN officiating.

    Burial will follow at the Sunset View Cemetery in Eagle.

    Memorials may be made to the Vail Valley Medical Center, 181 2. Meadow Dr., Vail, CO 81657 or The Senior Center, c/o Carol Knoll, Box 927, Eagle, Co 81631.

    Farnum-Holt Funeral Home in Glenwood Springs is in charge of the arrangements.

  • PEATE, Clyde - Funeral services for Clyde PEATE were held at noon Monday at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William PEATE, in Wolcott.

    A large concourse of sorrowing friends and relatives filled the home to listen to the last rites conducted by Rev. C. R. STOCKINGER, pastor of the Methodist Community Church at Eagle.

    The tragic and untimely death of the young man is keenly felt by friends and neighbors of Wolcott, where he had grown to manhood. He was a young man of splendid attainments, and his life promised to be a useful one, of benefit to the community. His parents and relatives have the sincere sympathy of the community in his death.

    Following the services at Wolcott, the funeral cortege proceeded to Glenwood Springs where the body was laid to rest, the burial services being in charge of Mortician O. W. MEYER of Red Cliff.[20 Jan. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PEATE, William Henry - William Henry PEATE was born in Yeadron, England, April 24, 1882. Departed this life at his home in Wolcott, Colo., on May 20, 1935, at the age of fifty-three years and twenty-six days.

    At the age of two years he came to America with his parents and spent the early part of his life in Nebraska, working on a farm. Later he learned the blacksmithing trade, which he followed more or less during his life time. This trade and the opportunity for work in the lumber and construction camps enabled him to travel considerable during the early part of his life when he came to Colorado and later made Wolcott his home, locating here in 1921, two years later including the garage with his blacksmith shop.

    He was united in holy matrimony to Effie L. PORTER on February 8, 1910, and to this union were born two children: Roy W. of Wolcott, and Clyde M., deceased, being killed while at work on the Dotsero cut-off construction in January, 1933.

    Everywhere Mr. PEATE went or lived he was true to his trade and welded many into his group of friends, as he so often welded iron in the forge and on the anvil. His philosophy in life seemed to be, "Get into the habit of looking for the silver lining of the cloud and when you have found it, continue to look at it rather than at the gray in the middle. It will help you over many places." He was a member of the nights of Pythias lodge.

    His unexpected and untimely death leave to mourn his departure of this life, his widow, of the home; his son Ray W. of Wolcott; two sisters, Mayme BURHANS and Lena; five brothers, Ray, Fred, Leslie, Sydney and Herbert, of Lincoln, Nebr. In answering the call of the Great Smith and Molder of Life, he goes to join his parents and two sisters in the land of unending day. We bow and worship before Him who takes from as well as gives to us life. Blessed by the Lord.

    Funeral services were held from the home in Wolcott at noon Thursday, the discourse being delivered by Rev. T. B. McDIVITT of the local community Methodist church. A great number of friends, who admired Bill PEATE in his life time gathered at the home to pay their last respects to his memory. A mixed quartet, Mrs. Ray ANGEL, Mrs. Alvin RULE, Melvin EATON, and W. S. BROWN, with Alvin WEBB at the piano, sang during the services.

    Following the home services the funeral cortege moved to Glenwood Springs where the body was laid to rest in the family plot in the cemetery at that place beside the body of his son, Clyde.[24 May 1935, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PEATE, Roy W. - Roy W. PEATE, formerly of Wolcott, died at his home in Longmont on July 22. He was 82.

    Mr. PEATE was born July 30, 1911 in Edith, Colo. He married the late Mayme Dolores (RAY) PEATE in Glenwood Springs on Dec. 16, 1931. A graduate of West High School in Denver, he lived for over 50 years in Wolcott, where he owned and operated a number of local businesses, including a gas station, country store, a dance hall, restaurant, and a motel. He also served as Wolcott's Postmaster. He moved to Longmont from Denver in 1974.

    He was preceded in death by his wife, Mayme, in 1985; his parents, William and Effie (PORTER) PEATE; and one brother, Clyde PEATE. Survivors include his sons, Russell PEATE of Boulder, and Larry PEATE of Ft. Worth, Tex., and seven grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

    Services were held July 27 at the Howe Mortuary Chapel in Longmont,. The Rev. Eugene VAN KRANENBURGH, retired, of the Congregational Church, officiated. Burial was at Crown Hill Cemetery, Denver. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 28 July 1994)

  • PENNY, Charles A. - Charles A. PENNY was born April 5, 1871 to Laura L. and Hiram D. PENNY in Wilson County, Kansas and died September 14, 1953 at the Community Hospital in Glenwood Springs at the age of 82 years.

    He lived in Kansas with his parents, one brother and four sisters on a farm, until the family moved to Colorado in the spring of 1884. They came in over Independence Pass to Crystal River Hot Springs below Redstone, where a younger brother was born in June 1886. They lived there until 1888 when the family moved to Glenwood and the following year to Divide Creek to homestead. Mr. PENNY lived there until he married Jennie C. HODGESON in 1892. To this union three children were born. All preceded Mr. PENNY in death.

    In 1902 he was married to Tese E. HOHSTADT of Edwards, who preceded him in death also. After this marriage he made his home in Eagle county for the greater amount of time. Three daughter were born to Mr. and Mrs PENNY all of whom survive and are Terles VAN HORN, Gypsum, Colo.; Cornelia REDMAN, Sacaton, Ariz.; and Ruth C. FRAZIER, of Rialto, Calif., all of whom were present at the funeral.

    Other survivors are a brother, Ira W. PENNY of Globe, Ariz.; 14 grandchildren; 23 great grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren.

    Funeral services were held in Gypsum by Rev. Delbert PAULSON. Burial was in the family plot in Rosebud Cemetery in Glenwood, directed by Bowman Funeral Chapel of Eagle.

    Pall bearers were Fritz BORAH, Ami HOYT, John BURRIS and Dick KELLY

  • PERKINS, H. L. - Killed by Light Engine - -In coming down from the Pass Monday morning engine No 1167, run by Engineer BUFFER struck a man who was starting to cross a bridge about one mile below Pando.

    It appears from the statement of the bridge gang who were working on the bridge at the time that the man started to cross the bridge and did not hear the engine whistle and as the bridge is but a thousand feet from a sharp curve the engineer was not able to stop after he saw the man was not going to get off the bridge. The man lived for about 10 minutes after being struck but did not regain consciousness. No letters or papers were found on the body, the only thing being the name of H. L. PERKINS, which was stenciled in the hat band. He was a man who appeared to be about forty-five years of age, height about five feet eight inches and of medium build.

    dHe was buried Tuesday morning by undertaker W. H. FARNUM of Glenwood Springs, Mr. O' MALLAHY, Mr. FARNUM'S assistant having charge.[19 Aug. 1909, Eagle County Blade, p1]

  • PETERS, George - Last Wednesday morning all that was mortal of George PETERS of Gilman passed to the great beyond after an illness of a few hours.

    He was taken with a cold Sunday and went to bed in his cabin a distance from the other houses and when found in the cabin had neither food nor fire for a number of hours. He was taken to one of the residences and the doctor summoned but it was too late he dying with pneumonia Wednesday morning.

    PETERS was about 24 years of age and came to this place about two years ago working on the Mask mill were he worked for about eighteen months after which he went to work on the Iron Mask mine where he was working at the time of his death. He was a nephew of Gus REED and a cousin of Art and El REED and was of a nature which made friends with all whom he came in contact.

    The body was brought down and is being held by Mortician GRAHAM, awaiting the arrival of relatives from Portland , Oregon.[5 Jan 1911, Eagle County Blade, p.1]

  • PETERSON, Carl - J. B. ISABELL Kills His Wife's Suitor in Encounter at Pando. Carl PETERSON , Former Employee of ISABELL the Victim--Slayer Claims Self Defense--Is Admitted to $10,000 Bond by Judge BOUCK.

    The ever occurring tragedy of the human triangle---two men and a woman--resulted in the filling last Monday of Carl PETERSON by J. B. ISABELL near the latter's ranch three miles east of Pando in Eagle county. While a coroner's jury at an inquest held at Red Cliff a few hours after the tragedy returned a verdict of justifiable homicide, ISABELL is in the Lake county jail, where he is held for lack of jail facilities in this county, on a charge of murder. His bond has been placed at $10,000 by Judge F. A. BOUCK and he will be arraigned in the district court September 1, at which time information will be filed by District Wm. H. LUBY.

    ISABELL has been prominent in lettuce culture of this state for a number of years, having been one of the first to raise that vegetable in the mountain district in commercial quantities. He is reported to have made a fortune in the business at Buena Vista, and then lost it all in one season's big venture.

    It was while raising lettuce at Buena Vista that he first formed the acquaintance of the man whom he alleges ruined his home and whom he killed Monday. PETERSON was at one time an inmate of the reformatory at Buena Vista, but was released on parole. He was befriended by ISABELL so the latter claims, and made a trusted employee on his lettuce ranch. After ISABELL lost his fortune in the Buena Vista venture he became associated with Elmer HARTNER of the Western Seed Company of Denver. The latter, two years ago, bought the R. R. PROBERT ranch above Pando and put ISABELL in charge raising lettuce on a large scale. PETERSON was employed there by ISABELL last year, and again this spring.

    The story told by ISABELL to the coroner's jury a few hours after the shooting is substantially as follows:

    "This was the third time PETERSON came to the ranch this summer," he stated. "And on at least two of those occasions he came armed.

    "Monday, he came to the house while I was absent, and told the foreman that he was looking for me asserting that I didn't have long to live. The foreman ordered him off the place, and he said he was coming back soon. When I came in I heard of it and on going out again armed myself with a 35 Remington automatic. I didn't know but he might be hiding so I went to a high place on the road that surrounds the place in a sort of horseshoe shape. Just as I came around a slight turn in the road I came face to face with him. He raised his gun--a 32 Remington--at once, and while he was aiming I killed him. I beat him to it by a fraction of a second".

    ISABELL had been sick, and his wife had returned to his home a few days before the tragedy, but had left the day before PETERSON showed up. It is alleged that Mrs. ISABELL and PETERSON had some months before left together, and--it is presumed that jealousy of the husband prompted the alleged animosity of PETERSON for his slayer.

    PETERSON was shot through the abdomen with a .35 caliber bullet, and was dead when the officers arrived at the scene. The body lay along the side of the Pikes Peak Ocean-to-Ocean highway, and immediately attracted many passing tourists, who, seeing no one about, thought they had discovered a mystery. PETERSON'S rifle lay beside his body with the stock broken and in his pockets were found a small amount of money and a letter from Mrs. ISABELL, so it is stated, the contents of which have not been made public by the district attorney's office.

    Immediately following the shooting, ISABELL went to the house and telephoned Sheriff WILSON at Eagle what had occurred and stated that he desired to surrender himself to the officers. He also telephoned for Attorney Hume S. SHITE at Eagle and employed him to defend him. [24 Aug. 1923, Eve p1]

    Return to Top

    PETERSON, Charles


    After nearly two years of suffering Mr. Peterson passed peacefully away on Monday of this week at 7:20 p.m. Those who had sympathized with him and his family during his protracted illness were not surprised to hear of his death, and yet there was reawakened in many hearts a sympathy for the widow and her little ones.
    The I.O.O.F. fraternity, of which Mr. Peterson was an honored member, immediately took charge of everything relating to the funeral and the services were held in the M.E. church on Wednesday morning at 11 o'clock.
    Rev. Hole preached the funeral sermon from the text Eccles. 8:8, which was attentively listened to by the large number in attendance. The following fascts in regard to the life of the deceased were brought out.
    Charles H. Peterson was born in Boros, Sweden, on July 21, 1863 and died March 20, 1905, being nearly 42 years old at the time of his death. He came to this country when about 11 years of age and has lived at times in Iowa and Nebraska, coming more latterly to Colorado, where he has made his home for many years. He leaves a widow and five children to mourn his loss, but has no other relatives living in America. His father and mother and one sister still live in Sweden. He has been an exceedingly industrious and hard-working man until disease undermined his health. The cause of his death was Bright's disease.
    After the service at the church the remains were conducted to their last resting place by the members of the Odd Fellows' lodge, who, with the use of their most impressive ritual, paid the last rites to the memory of their departed brother.
    Beautiful flowers from Mt. Basalt Lodge No,. 83, I.O.O.F., and from Free Silver Rebekah Lodge No. 47, were deposited on the casket in the church.
    The casket bearers were all Odd Fellows and were: Wm. Nash, Jas. Howie, Thomas Dolan, J.E. Fraser, F.E. Mills and Bert Hoffman.
    Basalt Journal, Basalt (Eagle County), Colorado, Mar. 25, 1905, page 1 - contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

    PETERSON, Fred

    Lightening Kills Two Lumber Men Near Red Cliff. Gust ANDERSON and Fred PETERSON Met Death While Working For Fleming Lumber Company on Wearyman Creek. An Electrical storm which passed over the mountains east of Red Cliff last Friday afternoon was the cause of the death of two lumber men working for the Fleming Lumber & Mercantile Co., Gust ANDERSON and Fred PETERSON, who were instantly killed by the lightening.

    These men, with others, were working skidding logs in the timber at the sawmill on Wearyman creek, when a storm accompanied by rain came up suddenly. These two men sought shelter from the rain under a big spruce tree, ANDERSON standing on one side of the tree and PETERSON on the other side, when the tree was struck by lightning and both men killed by the same stroke.

    Both men have been employed by the Fleming company off and on for the past eight years, ANDERSON most of the time since he came to this country from Sweden. PETERSON had worked on various ranches in this neighborhood and was known to many people around Eagle.

    PETERSON was about fifty-one years of age, and while none of his relatives have been located, it is thought that he has kin folks in this country. ANDERSON was only thirty-five years old, and his parents and other relatives are all residents of Sweden and he was planning to visit them this fall.

    Both were steady workers and good lumber men, who services were highly prized by the lumber company which had employed them for so long a time. PETERSON was a member of Red Cliff Lodge No. 18, I. O. O. F., and the burial services at the cemetery were under the auspices of that order at Red Cliff Sunday afternoon. The services were in charge of Undertaker Aaron GRAHAM from Red Cliff.

    The storm which caused these two men's death was of short duration, but the electrical discharge was very heavy while it lasted, many trees in the forest in the near vicinity of the scene of the tragedy being struck and shattered by the lightning. Gunter BERG was working with the unfortunate men at the time, but he took shelter from the storm under a skid way nearby and was unharmed.[15 Aug. 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PETERSON, Ole - Followed by a large concourse of sorrowing friends the body of Ole PETERSON was laid to rest in the cemetery at Eagle Saturday afternoon.

    Ole PETERSON was born in Wisby, Gotland Island, Sweden, August 15, 1861, and passed away September 6, 1929, at a hospital in Glenwood, aged 68 years and 22 days.

    At the age of 17 years the deceased came to America, and spent several years in the timber camps of Wisconsin and Canada. Coming to Leadville in the eighties, he followed mining for a time and then moved to the Eagle valley and took up farming on Brush creek.

    June 20, 1896, he was united in marriage to Hattie FULFORD KLECKNER, in Salt Lake City, Utah. To this union were born two children, Claude E. of Rifle, Colo., and Mrs. E. A. COOK, of Pueblo, Colo.

    Ole PETERSON was a splendid citizen of his adopted country, a neighbor in every sense of the word, whose passed pledge was as good as his bond. Every man was his friend, and his demise is regretted by the whole community.

    He had not been in good health for some months, and recently he was advised that only an operation could relieve him. Mr. PETERSON finally consented to the operation, but on the operating table it was discovered that he was afflicted with a cancer and that there was no hope for his recovery. He realized that the end was approaching and before his death arranged his worldly affairs in order and bid his loved ones good-bye.

    Relatives who mourn the loss of a loving husband, father and friend in his death are the widow, Mrs. Hattie PETERSON; a son, Claude E. of Rifle, and Wm. F. KLECKNER of Eagle.

    Rev. Geo. W. COOK of Brush creek, a former pastor of the Eagle M. E. Church preached a splendid sermon at the services held at the Methodist church in Eagle Saturday at 2 o'clock p. m., WHICH were largely attended by former neighbors of the deceased man.[13 Sept. 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PETERSON, Charley - Charley Peterson Murdered At His Home on Grand River. - Quite a sensation was created here Monday evening when it was spotted that Charley PETERSON, who lived on the Grand river had been murdered. Two young men, Rogers and Jim WATSON, went to the pond opposite PETERSON cabin and called for him to come and row them across in the boat, but could not get an answer. They began looking for some way to get across when they found Mr. PETERSON'S body covered with brush.

    They notified the neighbors and the investigation was made which revealed the fact that Mr. PETERSON had been shot four times; twice in the body, once in the head and once in the neck. They had dragged the body feet first for about one hundred yards from the place of the killing and covered it with sage brush. They had taken brush and brushed out the trail where the body and been dragged.

    The only points brought out at the inquest held in Gypsum yesterday, that the table in Mr. PETERSON'S cabin showed that there had been three men ate a meal and the dishes were still on the table. The house was ransacked, but whoever did the killing failed to find $104.20 which was hidden in a small pocket in the wall. There were tracks of two men where they had walked around and one of them had hob nails in the heel of the shoes, which is about the only evidence that there is to work on.

    Mr. PETERSON was over sixty years old and had been living at this place on the Grand for several years.[14 April 1916, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PEYSERT, Paul - The first victim this year of the flu in this county was claimed last Sunday morning when Paul PEYSERT died of pneumonia, following an attack of the influenza.

    Mr. PEYSERT was a young rancher, living with his wife and small child over on the Grand river, and the wife and baby were both sick at the time the father and husband was stricken. The deceased's mother was notified of her son's serious condition Saturday, and she arrived in Gypsum from DeBeque that night, but when she reached the sick bed Sunday he was dead.

    The remains were brought to Gypsum Monday and prepared for shipment to his former home in DeBeque by Mortician A. F. GRAHAM. A brother whose home is in Denver arrived Monday and accompanied the remains to DeBeque Wednesday morning, where the funeral was held.

    The deceased has lived in this county for a number of years, having been a resident of Red Cliff for some time, in the employ of the Fleming Lumber company as a teamster. He has many friends who will regret his passing, and the wife and baby child have their sympathy in the loss of a good husband and father.[13 Feb. 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • PHILLIPS, Nettie Hofmann 1906-1995

    Nettie HOFMANN PHILLIPS, formerly of Eagle, died April 4 at Colorow Care Center in Olathe, Colo. She was 89.

    She was born March 6, 1909 in Dallas, Wisc., to Nils and Carrie (Burg) Bergene and spent her childhood in Rice Lake, Wisc., where she also attended high school. She later worked at the Calumet Bakery in Indiana and then 1949 moved to Grand Junction where she owned and operated the Spot Drive-In Restaurant with her husband, the late Renner HOFMANN. Nettie married Joe PHILLIPS in 1963 in Grand Junction. Mr. Phillips died in 1963. She lived for a time in Eagle and then returned to Grand Junction.

    Nettie also held a teaching certificate and for two years taught in a one-room schoolhouse. She married the late Renner HOFMANN in Minneapolis.

    She was a member of the American Lutheran Church and a member of the Order of the Eastern Star in both Eagle and Grand Junction, as well as the Gypsum Rebakahs. She loved sewing, cats and always had a beautiful flower garden

    Survivors include: sons Renner of San Antonio, Tex, and Nils of Montrose, and their wives. Winiford and Darley; daughters Connie STERLING (Phillip) of Houston, Tex., and Gail (Bill) MARIETTA of Grand Junction; brother Arnold BERGENE of Cumberland, Wisc.; sisters Ruth DOUGLAS of Cumberland, and Lillie BRITTS of Oconomowoc, Wisc.; five grandchildren and 12 step-grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren and 13 step great-grandchildren.

    Service were held April 10 at the American Lutheran Church in Grand Junction, with Pastor Tim J. THIES officiating. Burial was at the Masonic Cemetery in Grand Junction. Funeral arrangements were by Martin Mortuary. Memorial contributions may be made to Colorow Care Center, P.O. Box 710. Olathe, CO 81425. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 13 April 1995)

    Return to Top


  • PLAYFORD, Stephen Martin - Stephen Martin PLAYFORD, one of the most highly esteemed and respected citizens of this community, passed away at his home near Forestburg on Saturday, April 16, after a lingering illness of several months.

    During his eighteen years residence in this district the deceased by his never failing courtesy and kindness gained the friendship and affection of all with whom he came in contact and made for himself a niche in the heart of the community, where his memory will long be cherished and honored.

    Born in the little town of Cross Hill, Ontario, September 16, 1853, he moved to Wroxeter, Huron county at a tender age, and there grew to manhood.

    With the blood of Empire builders in his veins, he must needs explore the far off countries, and so at the age of twenty five set out for the United States, where he finally settled in Leadville, Colorado.

    During a visit to his sister, who then lived at Colorado Springs, he met Miss Jessie BONE, of his hometown, Wroxeter, and they were married in 1889 at Colorado Springs.

    At Leadville he became a member of Leadville Lodge No. 51, A.F. & A.M. and when he moved with his family to Eagle, Colorado, he continued as an active member of the fraternity, becoming a charter member of the Castle Lodge No 122. He situated in 1911, and was later honored with life membership in Leadville Lodge No. 51. In 1911 Canada again called him and he purchased a section of land new Duxbury, Alberta, later re-named Forestburg, and here he built his Canadian home and moved with his family in 1914. Mr. PLAYFORD was also a charter member of the Forestburg Lodge No. 128 A.F. & A.M. and Forestburg Chapter No 54, Order of the Eastern Star.

    He is survived by his widow and two sons, Alan of Kent, Washington, and Paul, of Forestburg, and three sisters, Mrs. MADSON, Denver, Colo., Mrs. McLEAN, Waterloo, Ontario, and Mrs. BOWLER, Vancouver.

    The funeral was conducted by members of the Forestburg and Alliance Lodges A.F.& A.M. and in accordance with the rites of the fraternity and very large number of friends gathered at the home and at the Masonic Hall to take part in the beautiful ritualistic work and accompanied the flower covered casket to the last resting place at the Forestburg public cemetery.

    His work is finished. He leaves with all who knew him the memory of a kind heart, a friendly hand clasp and a kindly smile, a loving, sympathetic personality, and so shall his memory be cherished.

    The Herald joins with the rest of the community in expressing our sincere sympathy to the bereaved family.

    Return to Top


  • POPE, John Langsford - Sheriff WILSON and District Attorney LUBY Solve Death of Man Found in Well. Dead Man Identified as John L. POPE of Louisville, Ky. Lee WRIGHT Arrested in Missouri Charged with Murder. Accused Man Waives Preliminary Hearing and Is Refused Bond By The Court--Information From Kentucky City May Shed Further Light On WRIGHT's Identity.

    The death of the man who was found in an abandoned well near McCoy in this county on November 10 is no longer a mystery.

    Last Friday Sheriff W. M. WILSON took into custody at Hamilton, Mo., Lee WRIGHT, alias E. R. PHILLIPS, charged with murder of John Langsford POPE, the name the dead man has been identified by, and returned him to Eagle county to face a charge of murder.

    The story of the unraveling of this crime and the running down of the man charged with it, and the identification of the man who had been dead since in September, reads like a regular detective thriller. When the body was found it was generally conceded to be another one of those mysteries which would go unsolved and soon forgotten. But those who so thought did not reckon on the ability of our sheriff or his facility of sticking by a job once commenced until it was finished.

    The only possible clue found about the body of the murdered man, was a slip of paper on which had been written what purported to be a suicide note. This note read as follows:

    "I will jump head first. I am tired of this old world so good By to all. "BOB.'

    This note was written on the back of a miner time check from which the heading had been town. But on the bottom of the slip was the printer's imprint as follows: "Pioneer, Inc., Tacoma--194107". Through this imprint it was learned that the time check was issued by the Wilkeson Coal & Coke Co., of Wilkeson, Wash., on March 15, 1930, to Lee WRIGHT, a miner. From this start, within 72 hours time, Mr. WILSON had traced every movement of WRIGHT up to the time of his arrest by the Missouri sheriff Wednesday of last week, on request of WILSON. The trail let through most of the Northwestern states into Colorado, back into Montana and then to Oak Creek. After the date of the crime the trail led across Colorado, into Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, to Tennessee, and back into Arkansas and again into Missouri.

    WRIGHT has admitted knowledge of the killing, but maintains that he did not actually commit the crime. His story as told to the sheriff is to the effect that he and POPE had been traveling and working together, and fell in with an organization of gangsters which WRIGHT has tried to made the sheriff believe control this section of the country. At Salida he claims that he was held a prisoner under threat of death over one night during that time POPE disappeared and the next morning members of the alleged gang appeared with POPE'S car and other personal belongings. A bed roll and tool kit, WRIGHT says, was thrown into a river somewhere, and he, WRIGHT, through some generosity on the part of the alleged "gang" became the possessor of the other property of the dead man. In Del Norte, Colo., WRIGHT sold the car, a late 1929 Ford coupe, at the Ford garage. He posed here as POPE, and waited there two days while the dealer wired the secretary of state of Kentucky, where the car was registered, to check up on whether or not the title was clear. When arrested in Missouri there was taken from the prisoner a watch, Catholic rosary, a razor, and he was wearing a suit of clothes, all of which the sheriff says WRIGHT admitted as having belonged to POPE. Another mine time check from the Wilkeson company was also found in his possession, and the sheriff has a letter written by the prisoner to a woman, the writing in which corresponds very closely to that of the "suicide" note. The woman in the case, who was held in Missouri for questioning by Mr. WILSON, identified the writing on this note as being that of WRIGHT, who was admittedly the woman's lover.

    Monday evening Sheriff WILSON and District Attorney LUBY took the prisoner to Red Cliff where he was shown POPE'S body and questioned regarding it. He was perfectly unmoved by the sight of the gruesome remains of his former partner. He admitted that it might be the body of POPE and that the hair resembled his. Further he would made no statement.

    Sheriff WILSON is due for great credit for his work on this death and murder, which at first appeared so mysterious and unsolveable. However, he is very modest, as usual, and wants to give much credit to various people and agencies where WRIGHT has worked and been. He was shown the greatest courtesy and co-operation all along the line, at every step so he says. His investigations were conducted by wire and long distance telephone, and without exception he met with instant co-operation. WILSON even went back on the prisoner's life for the past ten years, and found that some ten or twelve years ago he was employed on the Moffat railroad for a period of four years.

    WRIGHT has signified his desire to waive a preliminary hearing, and his wish to employ an attorney and prepare for the fight he expects to have against possible life imprisonment or the hangman.

    POPE'S home was in Louisville, Ky., where he has relatives living. The newspapers and police back there are much interested in the case, and a telegram from the Louisville Times to the Enterprise Wednesday morning intimated that WRIGHT was possibly W. R. PHILLIPS, formerly a contractor of Louisville. This angle the case is being investigated by the sheriff and district attorney's office.[28 Nov. 19, 1930, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • PORTER, Zona Minnie 1897 - 1995

    Zona Minnie PORTER of Rifle died Oct. 24 at the Colorado State Veterans Nursing Home in Rifle following a brief illness. She was 97.

    A homemaker and former school teacher, she was born Nov. 4, 1897 in Basalt to James and Jane (GORDON) HARVEY. She graduated from high school in Parachute and later attended Colorado State Teacher's College in Greeley, where she earned her teaching certificate. She married Carl P. PORTER Jan. 15, 1921 in Rifle, and they were later divorced. She lived in Parachute and Grand Junction before moving to Rifle eight years age.

    She was a member of the First Christian Church in Grand Junction as well as the Rebekah Lodge. She enjoyed cooking, crocheting, baking, the outdoors, her children, grandchildren and great - grandchildren.

    Survivors include sons James PORTER of Tucson, Ariz., and Bill PORTER of Sweet Home, Ga.; daughters Lois HAYES of Tucson, Maxine FRANK and Margaret MACDONNEL, both of Grand Junction; sister Zona DOUGHTY of Nevada; 17 grandchildren; 16 great grandchildren; and four great - great grandchildren. A grandson, James HAYES, is deceased.

    Callhan - Edfast Mortuary was in charge of arrangements. Memorial contributions may be made to Colorado State Veterans Nursing Home, 851 E. 5th St., Rifle, CO 81650.(Eagle Valley Enterprise 09 Nov 1995)

  • POTTER, Theodore S. - Pioneer of Brush Creek Valley Passes Away at His Breckenridge Home. Theodore S. POTTER died at his home in Breckenridge Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Mr. POTTER had been a resident of Breckenridge at different times since 1882, having made his home here permanently four years ago. He was born at Springfield, Mo., January 28, 1862, and later removed with his parents to Galena, Kan. He came to Breckenridge from Galena in 1882.

    Mr. POTTER had been in very poor health for the past few years, but was able to attend to his duties until last Sunday, when he was stricken with a paralytic stroke while on duty as watchman of the Iron Mask property. He failed to return home from work Sunday morning, and his family became alarmed and caused a search to be made. He was found near the mine in an unconscious condition, from which he never recovered fully before death.

    Mr POTTER spent the biggest part of his life in Colorado in Eagle county, where he took up a homestead in his early days, and latter sold it and bought another ranch. He was married at Galena, Kan., twenty years ago, and his wife survives him.

    Besides his wife, he leaves a brother, Samuel, who was at his bedside at the time of his death; a sister, Mrs. G. C. MONLUX, who still resides at Galena, Kan.; and a nephew, George W. POTTER, of Pitcher, Okla. He also leaves an adopted son, Harold, who was taken into the family about seven years ago, and who was recently discharged from the U. S. navy on account of physical disability.

    The funeral services were held from the Methodist church Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock.-Summit County(Breckenridge) Journal.[21 Oct. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • POTVIN, Thomas H. - Recently we received a letter from James L. MORFORD, one of the old-timers of Red Cliff, now living in Galena, Kan., enclosing a clipping telling of the death at his home in Kansas City, Mo., of Thomas H. POTVIN, another of the early mining men of Battle Mountain, at the age of 80 years. In the latter 80"s and early 90"s the deceased was associated with his brother, Joe POTVIN, in mining on the POTVIN mine in Dry Gulch on Windy Point near the old Bells Camp. It was here that Joe POTVIN lost his eyesight by a premature explosion of dynamite while working on the property.

    After leaving Red Cliff Tom POTVIN went to Kansas City and for 40 years was a prosperous business man of that city, retiring from active business a few years ago. His brother, Jo, is still living in Denver, and still owns mining property on Battle Mountain, some of which came into prominence last summer when a rich strike of gold ore was made.

    Mr. MONFORD is associated with his brother in the publishing and printing business in Galena. He had planned on visiting Eagle county this summer, so he started, sickness prevented, and he now thinks he will be out in the spring. Galena is the center of the Missouri-Kansas lead and zinc mines and Jim says that while things there are very, very quiet, the mines have recently showed a slight increased activity and have put a few more men to work. He asks to be remembered to his old friends in the county.[6 Oct. 1933, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top


  • PRICE, Donald E. - Don PRICE, long time local community leader and prominent member of many Eagle Valley organizations, died Feb 18 at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs.

    Born in Tacoma, Wash. Oct 10, 1910, he was raised in International Falls, Minn. and later graduated with a degree in forestry from the University of Minnesota, continuing his education with graduate work at the University of Montana and the University of Utah.

    He married Jean DeVoe in 1940. He retired from the U.S. Forest Service in 1975 following 42 years of service that included duties as the District Ranger in Eagle for 17 years.

    He was a World War II veteran, a graduate of the Command and General Staff College, and a retired Lt. Colonel with the U. S. Army.

    He was a member of the Custer, SD Masonic Lodge and the Eagle Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. He was a member of the Eagle County Planning Commission for 25 years and was given a lifetime membership the commission. He was also a member of the Eagle Lions Club for 35 years and served as the group's past president.

    He also organized the Eagle Land Conservancy, which promotes the concept of open space in the valley. Other activities in Mr. PRICE's long career of community service included 36 years with the Eagle Community Methodist Church, Eagle County Board of Education, Eagle county Historical Society, Boy Scouts, Eagle Sanitation Board, American National Red Cross, V. F. W. , Rainbow Girls Advisory Board, Rainbow Dad, the Society of American Foresters, and the American Forestry Association.

    Survivors include; his wife, Jean PRICE of Carbondale; daughters and son-in-law Pat MEIER of Lubbock, Tex., Donna DUHADWAY of Burke, Va., Sue and Rich BAKER of Denver, and five grandchildren.

    Funeral services were held Feb 22 at the Eagle United Methodist Church with the Rev. Phil GREEN officiating. Interment was at Sunset View Cemetery, Eagle. Memorials may be made to the Eagle United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 546, Eagle, Co. 81631. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

  • PRICE, Fred - Fred Price Buried in Gypsum Wednesday.

    Funeral serviced were held for Fred Price, 86, prominent Eagle County man, in Gypsum Wednesday. Mr. Price has been ill for several months, and he died at his home in Gypsum May 21. Mr. Price is survived by his wife Mayme Stremme Price. Bowman Funeral Chapel was in charge of burial. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise -June 2, 1955)

    Return to Top


  • PUTNUM, George - Dies of Old Bullet Wound At Hospital In Gilman. George PUTNUM Passes Away Thursday Morning--Was Wounded Near San Luis, Colo., Several Months Ago.

    George PUTNUM, for several years a trusted employee of the Empire Zinc company at Gilman, died in the hospital at that place early Thursday morning. PUTNUM'S death was caused by a bullet wound received several months ago from the revolver of an over-zealous sheriff in southern Colorado, near San Luis. The bullet was not located at the time and after several weeks illness PUTNUM was able to return to his work in Gilman. Recently the bullet worked into a lung and PUTNUM was forced to go to the hospital. The bullet could not be removed, and he died Thursday morning at 5:30 o'clock. When injured PUTNUM was on the return home from a vacation spent in Texas, with a companion, a fellow worker in the mine at Gilman.

    The deceased was a machinist at the mine in Gilman for the past three years, was quiet and industrious and most highly respected by both his employers and fellow workers, and his death is greatly mourned at Gilman and Red Cliff.

    The deceased was born in Sand Point, Ida., October 20, 1905; being past 28 years of age. He was married and leaves his widow, Ethel P. PUTNUM of El Paso, Tex., and two children. His wife was with him when death came.

    Burial will take place in Red Cliff Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, the funeral services being in charge of Rev. T. B. McDIVITT pastor of the Eagle Methodist church.[

    Return to Top

    Return to Eagle County Main page

    Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb