HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:47:48 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

TAGUE, Lydia B.

Lydia Berkley TAGUE, one of Eagle County's and Colorado's grandest women, died at St. Luke's hospital, Montrose, Colo., at 11:30 a.m., January 15, 1937, following a stroke of paralysis which came on her Tuesday afternoon, January 12. She was unconscious from the time the stroke seized her until death.

Mrs. TAGUE was a native daughter of Colorado, having been born in Boulder, January 5, 1868, and her entire life of 69 years was spent in the state. At the age of 16 years she came to Red Cliff and made her home with her sister, Josephine MAYS, and the ladder's husband, Doctor MAYS, one of the pioneer physicians of the state. She made her home with them until her marriage, at the age of 21, to Pat TAGUE, in 1889. To this happy union there were born five children, three daughters and two sons, all now living.

Her husband served the county as County Judge for a number of years, and on his death in 1911, Mrs. Tague was appointed to fill his un-expired term, and she became the first woman to fill a judicial position in Colorado. She was elected to that position in 1912, and continued in the office unto 1924, when she retired refusing to run for reelection long. Later she was clerk of the district court of the Fifth Judicial District under Judge Francis E. BOUCK, holding the position until poor health impelled her to retire from public life.

Mrs. TAGUE was a truly grand woman. A faithful mother, she carefully raised her children to manhood and womanhood, never neglecting her family during all the years o public life. As a public official she was faithful always to her trust, was a loyal, patriotic citizen to her country and community, and a neighbor beyond compare. It was such women as Lydia Berkley TAGUE that made the Colorado of today possible - standing loyally shoulder to shoulder with their men, encouraging them in time of trial and doing their share of facing the hardships of pioneer days at the same time raising a family of loyal citizens to carry on the work they had started making Colorado one of the grandest of the commonwealths of the union.

It was sad that she should have to spend the last days of her life as an invalid being bedridden most of the past two years. But she bore her suffering as she had other trails of life, philosophically, and without complaint.

Her daughter, Mrs. Ruth DARROW and Mrs. Bernarda MEEHAN, were with her during her last hours, but she never regained consciousness to recognize them.

Funeral service were held in Red Cliff last Monday afternoon, and she was laid to rest beside the body of her beloved husband, who had preceded her in death. Mrs. TAGUE was a member of the Episcopalian church, and during the last two years of her illness Rev. Mr. FOSTER of the Montrose church of that faith, had been a great comfort to her and he came to Red Cliff to deliver the funeral discourse.

She is survived by two sons; James B TAGUE, Long Beach, Calif.; Major Harold M. TAGUE of the United States army, stationed at Calumet, Mich., three daughters Ruth K. DARROW, Olathe, Colo.; Bernarda D. MEEHAN, Eagle, Colo., and Josephine HURLBUT, Modesto, Calif. The children were all present, at the funeral with the exception of James and Mrs. HURLBUT who were unable to be here. (22 Jan 1937, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top


Judge TAGUE Passes Beyond.
Judge Pat TAGUE died at 3 o'clock Friday morning at his home in Red Cliff of pulmonary trouble, after a protracted illness.

Judge TAGUE was born in Pennsylvania and was a pioneer in Red Cliff, having served as county judge three terms and as district clerk for twelve years. He leaves a wife, two sons and three daughters to mourn his loss. The date of the funeral has not been decided upon at this time, but it will be in charge of the Masons, Judge TAGUE having been a member of the Minturn lodge of that order.

As a good citizen Judge TAGUE will be missed for many years to come, especially by the old timers of Eagle county who had come to know him in his official capacity where efficiency, honesty and unfailing courtesy marked his every relation to the public.[17 Fed. 1911, Eagle County Blade, p1]

Return to Top

TANDY, Arthur A.

Death Calls Arthur A. TANDY Saturday. Former Eagle Citizen and Prominent Western Slope Banker succumbs to Heart Failure--Died Working at His Desk in Olathe Sept. 8.

The news of the death of Arthur A. TANDY was received in Eagle last Saturday with a shock, and many comments of sorrow.

Death came while Mr. TANDY was attending to business affairs in his banking office in Olathe, Colo., and was most unexpected. He had just telephoned his wife at their home and as he turned from the telephone he dropped over and was dead when associates in the bank reached his side.

Mr. TANDY had been in his usual health and had that morning been out in the country attending to business matters, and if he had any warning of the impending death he did not intimate such to anyone.

Mr. TANDY and family were in Eagle visiting Mrs. TANDY'S father and brother, Peter and H. A. STEIN only a short time ago while on a trip to Denver, and the week before his death he participated in the Western Slope gold tournament at Glenwood Springs.

Arthur TANDY was born in Aspen, Colo., 40 years ago the 9th of last January. He was yet a small boy when the family moved to Eagle county. He grew to manhood and spent the greater part of his life here. His education was received in the Eagle schools, and his wife was an Eagle young lady, Miss Louise STEIN. When his school days were over Mr. TANDY entered the First National bank in Eagle, and under the excellent tutelage of the veteran banker, the late Louie SWARZ, learned that business from the ground up. So thoroughly did he respond to the instruction of Mr. SWARZ that when the latter was called to take charge of a larger institution his pupil was ready to step into his place, and was made cashier and managing officer of the First National Bank of Eagle County.

About six years ago he resigned here and went to Denver where he was in the insurance and investment business for a time, and was then called to take charge of the First National Bank of Olathe. It was while conducting the affairs of this bank that death made its sudden call.

Funeral services were held in Grand Junction Wednesday, and the body laid to rest there in the family burial plot. Services were in charge of the Masonic order of which Mr. TANDY had been an honored member for many years.

Of the immediate relatives there survive to mourn the loss of the deceased, his wife and son of Olathe, Colo., mother, Mrs. Rose FULFORD of Los Angeles, Calif., brother, Harry E. TANDY of Denver, half brother, Chas. L. FULFORD, and a half sister Mrs. Marie B. LORD, also living in California.[14 Sept. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top



Simon TANNER, Routt county pioneer rancher, died at his ranch in Burns December 31, of pneumonia. Funeral services were held Wednesday and at the request of Mr. TANNER he was buried under a pine tree on his home ranch. Mr TANNER was born in Switzerland and came to this country about 70 years ago, locating in Routt county in 1883. He never married, living alone most of the time and had no relatives so far as known. He was always a welcome visitor wherever he went as he was always happy, full of fun and a great story teller. His estate was left to Mrs. Dora COCK an old friend and neighbor and who had cared for him during times of sickness. He was 82 years of age and the funeral services were conducted by Rev. PARKS of Yampa. (unknown newpaper 31 December 1929)

Return to Top

TAYLOR, Charles E.


Former Prominent Citizen and Well Known Mining Man

The Denver Post of last Friday contained the following concerning a man whose early life in the state was spent in Red Cliff.

Col. Charles E. TAYLOR, a pioneer mining operator of Colorado, chief promoter of the Mining Exchange building, and at one time a head of some of the largest mining enterprises ever launched in the state, died today at the Hudson Straight hospital in New York, under circumstances which have led the police to begin an investigation into the cause of his demise. He was found lying unconscious in his room at a hotel yesterday, and as there was no one in the ho0tel who knew him he was removed to a hospital. He died not long afterward of hemorrhage of the stomach.

Cards found on his person established his identity and word was at once sent to Denver, his former home, and to Seattle, where he had been conducting some mining enterprises for the last few months.

Colonel TAYLOR has a daughter, Mrs. George H. BATCHELDER, living in Denver at 705 East Seventeenth avenue, but she is at present in Cheyenne with her husband. He has also two sons, but they have not been located. He was at one time on the best known and most active mining men of the state and was associated with leading capitalists in the development of a large number of mining enterprises.

Before the panic of 1893 Colonel TAYLOR was rated as one of the wealthiest men in Denver, but the slump in stocks swept away his fortune and crippled his powers for starting new enterprises. He sold the magnificent house which he had built at Race street and Thirteenth avenue to Judge O. E. LeFEVER, and went to New York, where he engaged in new mining schemes, and returned to Colorado to carry them out.

Colonel TAYLOR was not, however, particularly successful in anything he undertook after the panic, although he was constantly engaged in furthering new enterprises. Only a short time ago he went to Seattle and began the promotion of certain mining properties in the north west.

Colonel TAYLOR was unfortunate in his home life, as well as in his business projects. Shortly after he had erected his handsome new house on the hill his wife committed suicide by shooting herself through the head. Her act was attributed to a nervous disorder from which she had been a sufferer for some time. Several years after he married a young widow, but as he was not lived in the city for long at a time since his marriage very little is known of his second wife.

Colonel TAYLOR was a singularly able and singularly unfortunate man," said Colonel R. H. BUCK, one of his old business associates today. "He had a genius for planning and carrying out large enterprises, but his efforts were seldom rewarded with success. He is practically the father of the mining exchange and but for him the building would never have been erected."(27 August 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

TAYLOR, Charles H.

At Fairmount hospital, Pueblo, May 29, of heart failure, Charles H. TAYLOR, age 62 years.


In the death of Mr. TAYLOR Eagle county loses one of her well known and popular citizens and pio0neers, having settled here in 1879. Mr. TAYLOR was the locator and owner of the famous Ground Hog, Last Chance, Polar, Rocky Point and Accidental mines on Battle mountain. During the past ten years Mr. TAYLOR spent a great deal of money in developing Eagle Park, near Pando, at which place is located the TAYLOR ranch. The remains will be laid to rest in the Evergreen cemetery at Red Cliff, Thursday, June 4, at 2:45 p.m.(4 Jun 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.8)

Return to Top

TAYLOR, Clifford

Clifford TAYLOR Traveling From Kansas To Visit Relatives at Gypsum Killed by Train Near Journey's End.

Crossing in the path of No. 15, westbound passenger train of the Rio Grande, Clifford TAYLOR, Virgil, Kan., was fatally injured and his wife and 14 months old baby, who were riding with him in a Ford coupe, were seriously hurt when the train collided with their car shortly after 8 o'clock Wednesday morning at Rex crossing, two or three miles east of Minturn.

The train was brought to a stop soon after the impact which hurled the light Ford car 65 feet up against the bank of the right hand side of the road, and the injured persons were taken aboard. TAYLOR, who had both arms and both legs broken and his ribs crushed in, was in an hysterical condition and fought assistance so that two men were required to hold him in the baggage car. He died on the train just before Gypsum was reached.

TAYLOR'S wife, who is not expected to live, suffered a broken leg, numerous internal injuries and shock. The baby was picked up in an unconscious state, but when mother and baby were taken from the train to the sanitarium in Glenwood Springs, the baby revived and doctors state that it is not so seriously hurt and will recover.

The TAYLOR family was on its way from Virgil, Kan., to Gypsum to visit the father's uncle, Grant TAYLOR, a prominent contractor of that place. The latter was notified of the accident from Gypsum to find that his nephew was already dead. He accompanied the body and the injured into Glenwood.

It is thought that as the party approached the track as they came off of Battle mountain, that the road continued straight ahead, and because of the sharp curve in the highway as it turns onto the track and the heavy growth of bushes between the highway and tracks and the deep cut in the hill, did not see the train until they were directly in its path. This is one of the most deceptive and dangerous railway crossings in the state, and the state highway commission is not drafting plans for an overhead crossing at this point, $75,000 having been appropriated for that purpose.

The car was struck on the left side near the door and was hurled up against the side of the cut for a measured distance of 65 feet. Both front wheels were broken off and the side of the body and frame was crushed in.

Rex crossing is near the west end of Battle mountain, where the road after following parallel to the Rio Grande tracks for a considerable distance down the grade turns sharply to the left and crosses the railway at right angles. Last fall there was a great deal of discussion in regard to the danger of this particular crossing and at the time it was generally agreed that either an overhead or a subway crossing would have to be made to prevent just such an accident as occurred Wednesday morning.

An inquest into the accident was to have been held at Minturn Thursday, but we have not learned its outcome.[22 June 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Former Eagle County rancher Tom S. TAYLOR died Jan. 17 at Pioneer Manor in Gillette, Wyo. He was 94.

Mr. TAYLOR was born July 11, 1899 in Cherokee County, Kans., to Frank and Ida (Losey) TAYLOR. He was raised on a farm south of Columbus, Kans. and graduated from Cherokee County High School with the class of 1917. He married Merle Anna POTTER on June 4, 1925, and together they farmed in the Columbus area until 1941, operating a dairy, raising cattle as well as Scotty dogs. The couple moved to Eagle County in 1941, where they purchased a cattle ranch on Brush Creek in partnership with Harry DEEM. They named their operation the 7-Up Ranch, and on it they raised quality Hereford cattle.

In 1962, Mr. and Mrs. TAYLOR sold their ranch and moved into the town of Eagle. Missing country life, they then moved to the ranch of their niece and husband, Colleen and Dan RULE, who lived north of Eagle.

In September 1981 they moved back to Columbus, Kansas, where Mrs. TAYLOR died. In 1982 Tom sold his Kansas home and moved to Crook County, Wyoming, where Colleen and Dan RULE had purchased the Wagonhammer Ranch. He loved on the ranch until a few years ago, when he moved to Pioneer Manor in Gillette.

Tom was active in many community affairs and activities and was a member of the Farm Bureau, the Cattlemen's Association, the Eagle Community Church, the Masonic Lodge, the Order of the Eastern Star, and was a supporter of youth and other beneficial community organizations.

Tom was preceded in death by his parents, his wife Merle, brother Fred TAYLOR, and sister Grace WANTLAND. Survivors include many nephews and nieces, including Dan and Colleen RULE.

Graveside services were held at the Columbus City Cemetery in Columbus, Kansas on Jan 21 at 2 p.m. (27 Jan 1994, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.14)

Return to Top

THORBPRG. Adpolph Herman

It was sad news which greeted the citizens of Eagle Friday evening, November 19, when the death of Adolph Herman THOBORG was announced from his home in Eagle. The universal expression was of sorrow and the remark that one of our best citizens had been called before his time.

Born in Neuenkirchen, Province of Hanover, Germany October 3, 1867, he migrated to the United States when only 19 years of age, and for 40 years had been a citizen of Eagle county, with the exception of a few years spent in Aspen and Mesa county. During these forty years he had made for himself a place of respect and love in the hearts of his neighbors. He was ever active in all civic affairs, taking a keen interest in the welfare and upbuilding of the community, and his judgment was sought in all matters that pertained to civic advancement. For many years he owned and operated a ranch on the Eagle river, west of Eagle, but a number of years ago he retired from active farm work and he and his wife moved into town, where he at once took his place as one of its foremost citizens.

In 1897 he became a member of the Masonic lodge of Eagle, and had been conferred with all the honors of that order. He belonged to the Order of the Eastern Star, and had been patron of that order for many years. He was also a member of the Woodmen of the World, and took an active part in the administration of that order's affairs. For years he had been a director in the First National Bank of Eagle County, and his keen judgment of business affairs was always respected by his fellow officers in that institution.

December 25, 1900, he was united in marriage to Maggie SMITH at Aspen. No children were born to this union. He is survived by the widow; two brothers, Peter of Eagle, August of Aspen; and one sister, Mrs. Hattie DOHMS, of Davenport, Iowa; and hundreds of close friends who sincerely mourn his passing.

The funeral services were in charge of the Masonic order of Eagle, and were held from the Eagle Methodist Community church, the pastor, A. R. DENNIS, pronouncing a simple service. The remains of the deceased were followed to the Eagle cemetery by a large concourse of sorrowing friends where they were lovingly laid to rest.[26 Nov. 1926, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

THOMAS, Caroline

Eagle county has lost one of its most honored, respected and loved pioneers in the passing away Saturday night, October 28, 1939, of Caroline THOBORG.

Mrs. THOBORG and her husband, Peter THOBORG, came to Leadville, Colo., from Davenport, Iowa, in the early 80's when Leadville was a booming mining town. The THOBORG family had known Grant and James, pioneer Leadville mining and smelting men who had moved to Leadville from Davenport, and this was, perhaps, one of their reasons for coming west. After a few years in Leadville, they believed it best to engage in agricultural pursuits, so they moved to the Eagle valley in the spring of 1885, and settled upon the property east of Eagle known as the THOBORG ranch. They developed this property from rough sagebrush into a splendid productive ranch, and remained on the ranch until in 1904, when they moved into the town of Eagle and built a home. At one time they owned most of the town site of Eagle Peter THOBORG passed away on February 6, 1928.

Mrs. THOBORG was a charter member of the Eagle Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star, and was very active in its work from the time it was granted a charter until her death.

Caroline KUEHN was born July 20, 1859, in Davenport, Iowa, and was there married to Peter THOBORG on January 25, 1880, and passed away at Eagle Colo., October 28, 1939, at the age of 80 years, 3 months, and 8 days. She is survived by three daughters, Mabel THOBORG and Blanche T. NESBITT of Los Angeles, Calif., and Alice T. BACON of Eagle, Colo.

Funeral services were held in Eagle for the deceased lady Wednesday afternoon. That evening the body was taken by train for Los Angeles, Calif., to be laid to rest beside that of her husband, Peter THOBORG.

Return to Top

THORBORG, Margaret

Mrs. Herman Thoborg passed away at her home in Eagle last Monday, August 14, after a short illness.

Margaret DOURETY was born in Bureau county, Illinois, on April 29, 1864. Her early life was spent in the state of Illinois, and as a comparatively young woman she moved from that state to Colorado, first living in Salida, later in Grand Junction and still later in Aspen. On the 25th day of December, 1900, she was married to Herman Thoborg in Aspen. They remained in Aspen until the spring of 1902, when they moved to Eagle. Herman Thoborg passed on November 19, 1926.

Mrs. Thoborg was one of the beloved women of the community. She was a charter member of the Eagle Chapter Order of Eastern Star, and had taken a great interest in the work of that order. Since her husband's death, Mrs. Thoborg has lived a quiet life, most of the time in her home in Eagle, though for a short time she lived in Glenwood Springs and in Englewood, Colo.

Funeral services, under the direction of the Eastern Star lodge, with the message delivered by Rev. F. W. CASSELMAN of the local Methodist church, was held Wednesday afternoon, and the body was laid to rest in Valley View cemetery, beside that of her beloved husband, the Andre Funeral Home having charge of the burial. A large number of friends and old neighbors attended the services, and joined the cortege which followed the bier to the cemetery, to pay their last respects to one whom they considered a good friend.

Return to Top


Word was received her Monday of the death that day in Los Angeles of Peter THOBORG, one of the earliest settlers of Eagle and the Eagle river valley. Together with his wife, Mr. THOBORG left his home in Eagle early in the winter to spend the winter months with their daughters residing in California. Apparently, Mr. Thoborg was in his usual good health when they left home, but a few weeks ago he was taken ill and an operation for gastric ulcers was found necessary. Word received here as to his condition led to the belief that he was recovering satisfactorily, until last wee, when his daughter here, Mrs. S. H. BACON, received a telegram stating that her father's condition was serious, and she immediately left for his bedside. Monday Mr. BACON received a telegram announcing the death. No further word has been received here, and what arrangements are being made for his funeral and burial are not known, though Mr. BACON is of the opinion that the body will be laid to rest in California. (Later: Just before we go to press we learn that Mr. THOBORG was buried in Los Angeles Wednesday, the funeral having been in charge of the Masons of Los Angeles, the deceased having been a life-long member of that order).

Peter THOBORG has been one of the prominent figures of this part of Colorado since about 1879, he and his wife coming to Leadville from Des Moines, Iowa, at about that time. He was one of the early builders of the town of Eagle. In the absence from Eagle at this time of all of the immediate members of the family, we are unable to secure the facts of his life, for this week's issue of the Enterprise.

Return to Top


Carl O. THOMAS, formerly a miner with the New Jersey Zinc Company at Gilman and an Eagle resident, died of natural causes June 5 at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction. He was 84.

Mr. Thomas worked in Gilman for 36 years before retiring to Fruita in 1972. He was born June 4, 1910 to Charles Kimbro THOMAS and Nett Odessa HUMPHREY THOMAS and attended country and primary school in Norman, Oklahoma, His family moved to Ault, Colo., when he was 12 years old, then later to the Edwards area where they farmed near Squaw Creek and homesteaded on Bellyache Mountain. He left school in the 9th grade to go to work as a cowboy, farmhand, construction worker and logger before becoming a miner.

He married Catherine Geneva SAPPENFIELD on Dec. 4, 1945 in Grand Junction. The couple lived in Minturn until 1950 when they moved to Eagle, where they lived until 1972. Mrs. THOMAS died June 26, 1993 in Grand Junction.

Mr. THOMAS was a member of the Grace Community Church of Fruita. He enjoyed life to the fullest, smiling and sharing with all he met and never meeting a stranger. He was a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and was active in local parades and memorial services.

During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Corps with the 20th Signal Air Group serving in the Pacific and in India. He loved the outdoors, hunting, fishing and working in the garden.

Survivors include: his son and daughter-in-law, Keith and Jean THOMAS of Clifton; three grandsons, Aaron, Seth and Paul THOMAS, all of Clifton, and numerous nieces and nephews. A brother, Gerald, preceded him in death.

Services were held June 9 at the Fruita Grace Community Church with Pastor Ron MCMULLEN officiating. Burial was at New Elmwood Cemetery. Memorial contributions bay be made to the Twin Peaks Bible Camp, P.O. Box 907, Grand Junction, CO 81501.

Funeral arrangements were by McClean Funeral Home, Fruita. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 6 June 1994)

Return to Top

THOMAS, Emille

Unfortunate Victim of Drink Dies Miserably

Last Saturday morning Sheriff FARNUM who was acting town marshal at the time, found Emille THOMAS lying along side the railroad track near the jail, in a helpless condition. An investigation showed that THOMAS was nearly overcome by drink and had laid out all night and was well nigh frozen.

The unfortunate man was made comfortable at the jail and by evening on Saturday was sufficiently recovered to take care of himself and was released. But THOMAS seemed to be thoroughly "strung with the booze" and proceeded to drink more, as was evidenced by later developments.

Sunday morning the crew of a light engine found the man lying helpless beside the railroad track a couple of miles above town. He had evidently laid out again all night, and the night had been quite cold with a slight fall of snow.

The man was picked up by the crew of the engine and taken to the depot and the case reported. The authorities again took charge of him and made him comfortable and provided him with a nurse. But all attempts at resuscitating him a second time proved unavailing and about midnight on Sunday he died.

Coroner FARNUM took charge of the remains. THOMAS was a Frenchman by birth and had lately been employed on the railroad section at Pando. He was about 62 years of age and little is known here concerning him. Evidently he was formerly employed at Palisade. Coroner FARNUM is endeavoring to locate his relatives.(20 Oct 1904, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

THOMAS, May Dale

The community was considerably shocked and greatly surprised Sunday morning on learning of the death of May Dale THOMAS, widow of the late Judge L. R. THOMAS. Mrs. THOMAS had passed quietly during the night, alone in her home in Eagle.

Mrs. THOMAS had not been in the very best of health for the last few months, as she had not complained her neighbors ere unaware that she was not in her apparent usual good health.

When she did not appear Sunday morning, Mr. and Mrs. Tex WILLIAMS started an investigation which led to the discovery of Mrs. THOMAS' body lying quietly in death on a couch in the living room of her home.

Mrs. THOMAS had been active in political, fraternal and business affairs of the town and county for many years.

She was prominent in political affairs of the county, having served the Republican party faithfully for at least two score years. She had been secretary of the central committee, and for many years was the party's vice-chairman. She was postmaster of Eagle for a number of years, which position she filled ably until ousted by politics. She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, and secretary of the local chapter for many years, which position she held at the time of her death. Mrs. THOMAS had been town clerk for the past three years, also holding that position when death so suddenly claimed this talented lady.

Her passing is deeply felt by the entire community, all of whom join in extending their heart felt sympathy to the deeply stricken daughter, Mrs. A CHRISTENSEN, and Mr. CHRISTENSEN. Besides the daughter there remain of close kin only a sister, a resident of California.

Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 1 o'clock, at the Andre Funeral home in Eagle, with Father Kessler of Glenwood Springs in charge.

The body was taken to Denver Wednesday, where it was laid to rest in Fairmount Mausoleum. Mr. and Mrs. CHRISTENSEN were accompanied to Denver by Mr. and Mrs. Herman A. STEIN.

Return to Top


Teddy THORSON, well known by all the miners of the Horse Mountain country, and in fact throughout the mining districts of Eagle County, died in Eagle last Friday night from a complication of ailments, super-induced by the flu, which he contracted during the epidemic of that disease. THORSON has been residing at Fulford during the greater portion of his residence in the county, having arrived here during the early stages of the Lady Belle excitement from Breckenridge. He became impressed with the Fulford district upon his first visit and became a strong and persistent booster for the camp and at the time of his death owned valuable claims in the district.

Theodore THORSON was about 47 years of age at his demise, was a Norwegian by birth but reached the United States early in his carrier. He followed mining almost exclusively since locating in Colorado, and had many friends in the different camps over the state where he was employed. The funeral was in charge of the county, the interment being at Gypsum, Sunday morning. (Eagle Valley Enterprise, Dec 20, 1918, p.1)

Return to Top

TIELENBURG, Cornelia Gerardina Betsey

Cornelia TIELENBURG passed away on April 7. She was 63.

Born in Holland on April 2, 1934, Cornelia moved to Salt Lake City in 1949. She spent many years running a bakery with her husband in Denver until moving to Eagle County in 1978.

This very special mother devoted her life and love to her four children Tryone P. KUHR, LaVon C. HORN, Inge E. BAIR and Christina B. KUHR. She worked for City Market for 16 years, where she can be best remembered as the "little gray haired lady in the express lane."

She will be greatly missed by her children, sister and grandchildren, and many, many friends, Funeral services will be held Friday, April 11,, at 1 p.m. at the Gypsum Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 0934 Gypsum Creek Road, Gypsum.

Flowers can be sent to the FARNUM-HOLT Funeral Home in Glenwood Springs or donations can be made c/o the Cornelia TIELENBURG account at Alpine Bank located in the City Market in Avon.[10 April 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

Return to Top



Oh, how sad, and lone and drearily, Are the days since Charlie died,
And our hearts grow, Oh so weary With the pain we strive to hide.

After only a few days' struggle, fighting for his life against that dread disease, pneumonia, Charles Howard Corwin Timberlake, well known to a large number of Basaltites, and highly respected by all with whom he was acquainted, gave up the fight last Monday evening at 6 o'clock, and passed from this life into the eternal life beyond, his death occurring at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John I. May, in Cardiff. Everything that loving parents and kind friends could do to relieve his sufferings was done, but with no avail.

The announcement, as it was whispered from mouth to ear, caused a feeling of profound sadness to preveail among the many friends here of Charlie and also of his mother, Mrs. May.

Charlie was a good, bright boy, and was a student in the Glenwood Springs high school where he won the friendship of many of the boys and girls.

Charlie was born April 22, 1885, at Rosita, Colo., and would have been 20 years of age next April. He was an honest, upright young man, and his sudden taking off is extremely sad and a crushing blow to his mother.

Funeral services were held at the grief-stricken home in Cardiff on Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock, and on Wednesday morning the body was taken to Leadville, where it was laid to rest beside Earl, a brother who dies several years ago. The casket containing the lifeless body of a loved and cherished son was covered with beautiful flowers, a number of wreaths being sent by Basalt friends.

Mr. and Mrs. May have the sympathy of the entire community in the loss of their son.
BASALT JOURNAL, Eagle County, Colorado, January 21, 1905 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

TIPPETT, Richard Edward

Richard Edward Tippett, son of Mrs. Blanche Tippett died at the Empire Zinc Hospital, Gilman, Colorado on July 6, 1934.

Richard was born in Red Cliff, Colorado on November 25, 1911. He grew to manhood in the little town of his birth, attending the Grade and High Schools, graduating from High School with the class of 1929. The following fall he went to Boulder and entered the University of Colorado, where he studied engineering for five years, and came home this spring ready to enter the great school of life.

The responsibilities of life came quickly, for on June 18th Richard's father passed away and the ties of family love tightened. He manfully took up this burden of sorrow and helped his loved ones to bear it.

On Monday, June 25th, he began work as bookkeeper for the Fleming Lumber Company. He entered upon his duties with such earnestness that the company felt that Richard would become as fine a business man as his father had been.

On Thursday, June 28th, he went home from work sick. The doctor was called at once and in a few days Richard was taken to the hospital where the doctor could be in constant attendance. But all efforts to overcome the illness seemed in vain and Richard passed away at 1 a.m. July 6th.

Richard had none but friends among all who knew him. His pleasant friendly ways won him the love and respect of both young and old. He was a great lover of music and played the piano well when just a small boy. As he grew older he learned to play the saxaphone and played in the Red Cliff Orchestra.

After all it is those things which are mostly associated with us in our every day life that have the dominating influence. That kindly greeting, that deep friendly smile his friends will never forget. Richard was never too busy nor engrossed in his own work or pleasure but he had time to stop and chat with his friends. His cheerfulness seemed to brighten up life's pathway.

Taken from this life too young to have left deep marks in the sands of time, but still leaving behind footprints that perhaps another walking life's rough pathway may see the imprint and take heart again.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Father Horgan of Leadville, in Red Cliff on Sunday; July 8th. At these services, a duet composed of Mrs. Nordlander and Mr. Palmer, accompanied by Mrs. Meyer sang, “In the Garden”, “No Night There”, and “Beautiful Isle of Somewhere”. Two soloists from Leadville, Mr. Carter and Mrs. Kate Forman, accompanied by Miss Mary Gary, sang.

The pallbearers were; Tom Deviney, David Blackmer, Harry Mize, Malcolm McLeod, Edward Anderson, and John Dismant.

The many friends showed their esteem for Richard by the beautiful floral pieces and sprays.

After the funeral services in Red Cliff, the funeral cortege drove to Rifle, Colorado, where Richard was laid to rest beside his father.

Richard leaves to mourn his departure his mother, Mrs. Blanche Tippett, two sisters, Blanche and Bernice, two brothers, Raymond and Homer.

The Holy Cross Trail, Red Cliff, Colorado, July 13, 1934

submitted by Edward J. Maloney on 4 April 2001

Return to Top


Red Cliff; December 8, 1900; Eagle County Times; George A. TOWNSEND a former well known ranchman of the county, died in Leadville Saturday after several months illness. Mr. Townsend sold his ranch near Minturn a couple years ago to J. L. HOWARD, one of Eagle County's prominent stock growers, and with his family traveled northwest and then east. He returned to Leadville about a year ago and has since been working in the mills of that city. He was an upright and industrious citizen during his stay here, and our people extreme sympathy to the bereaved family. The remains were interred in the Leadville cemetery.(not sure what newspaper the above article came from)

George A. TOWNSEND, formerly a well known and prominent citizen of this county, died last week at Florence, this state. Mr. TOWNSEND formerly owned a ranch now owned by John HOWARD on the Eagle river at the mouth of Beaver Creek. Some two years ago he sold out his ranch and removed from the county. The following from the Herald Democrat (the Leadville newspaper) embodies what particulars we have been able to learn of his death:

"In the Fall of 1892 Samuel C. TOWNSEND, then constable of the township, was shot and killed by Thomas Earley. He left a widow and one child, the latter now 24 years of age, an invalid residing at Florence. Mrs. TOWNSEND left Leadville shortly after the death of her husband. She went to Red Cliff where two years later she married George A. TOWNSEND a brother of Samuel C. After remaining in Red Cliff a few months they went east and a year later returned to Florence. Monday last the second husband died of pneumonia at Florence and his body was brought to Leadville yesterday and will today be buried by the side of his brother, Samuel, in Evergreen cemetery. Mrs. TOWNSEND accompanied the body to this city. Mr. TOWNSEND had been in ill health for several months and had been unable to work. Wednesday last he said he would attempt to go to work in one of the mills. Thursday morning he went to the mill and two hours later was brought home in the ambulance. He died early Saturday morning. He was 48 years of age. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock this (Tuesday) afternoon from Nelson's undertaking establishment."(From 6 Dec 1900, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top

TRIMBLE, Carl & Marguerite

Two very sad deaths occurred last week at the home of Mrs. Thomas TRIMBLE on Eagle river a short distance below Edwards, when Carl, aged six years, and Marguerite, aged 16 months, passed away, the former on Sunday evening and the latter on Monday morning. Thomas TRIMBLE, the father, died but a few months ago.

The bodies of the little ones were interred beside that of their late father on the ranch on Tuesday, the 16th, Rev. WELSH, of Eagle, conducting the services. Two other children of the family are ill also. Two different physicians have treated the latter cases, and they disagree as to the nature of the disease. One pronounces it pneumonia and tonsillitis and the other scarlet fever.(25 Jan 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

TRUMP, Harry

Minturn Has Sad Case of Drowning.

Horse Backs Into Eagle River With Buggy and Little Grandson of W. M. TRUMP - Search For Body of Child as Yet Unavailing.

Thursday night at about ten o'clock Minturn citizens were aroused by the alarm that little Harry TRUMP had fallen into the Eagle river and drowned.

Mr. and Mrs. Norman TRUMP and three children of Ellsworth, Kansas, were visiting their parents in Minturn, arriving June 6th, and having concluded their visit had made all preparations to return to their home in Kansas Friday morning. Earl TRUMP, a younger brother, hitched up a single horse and buggy, intending to go over to town to get some fruit for the lunch for the brother's family on the return trip to Kansas. At the last moment little Harry wanted to go with his uncle. Going over to Minturn, which is reached by crossing the Eagle river from the TRUMP home, they had made their purchases and stopped a few minutes at the baseball smoker which was being held at the town hall that evening, then started on the return trip home.

Arriving at the bridge across Eagle river, located at the west end of the railroad yards, just opposite the BAUMEISTER building, Earl TRUMP got out of the buggy to open the gate which is exactly in the center of the bridge. The gate opened away from the horse so that it did not scare him and it is not known what caused him to back. When Earl TRUMP got out of the buggy he handed the lines to Harry. It might be that the little fellow held the reins too tight, causing the horse to back; at any rate Earl opened the gate and turned toward the team, and what was his horror to see in the dim moonlight the horse, buggy and child just at that moment disappearing over the side of the bridge into the river.

Previous to this he had not heard the horse backing or any noise whatever to warn him of the impending danger. Calling loudly for help he dashed into the river, endeavoring to find the child. Several hoboes who have their camp but a few yards away and Mr. TRUMP, father of the child, and several others quickly responded to the alarm, and all sought by every means in their power to immediately locate the child. His hat was soon found, but no further trace of the child has yet (Wednesday) been discovered. He was wrapped in a heavy quilt at the time, for the purpose of keeping him warm, and no trace of the quilt has been found, either. The buggy in tipping off the bridge turned upside down and the horse fell on his back in the stream, a little to one side of the buggy. Both horse and buggy finally landed about a hundred yards below on a big rock in mid-stream--from there the horse was soon gotten out and the buggy was hauled out by ropes the next morning.

Searching parties have constantly waded and patrolled the stream ever since, but to no avail. Deep holes and rocks that are thought to possibly have held the body have been shot with dynamite in the hopes of starting the body from behind some rock, but all to no purpose. On Friday at about four o'clock Harry WILLIAMS and Frank STAPP were fishing at Eagle on the Eagle wagon bridge and thought they saw something that might resemble a body floating down in the swift current, but investigation and searching parties resulted in no discovery.

Fences have been constructed at the OLESON bridge at Eagle and another at ALLENTON, as it is anticipated that the body will float down to the still water at about BRITT'S or ALLENTON and eventually be discovered there, if it did not go right on down through, which seems an almost impossibility at this time. The sad occurrence has prostrated the mother, and the entire family are utterly exhausted from the incessant effort they have kept up in wading the river. Mr. Norman TRUMP is the second son of W. M. Trump and both families have the deepest sympathy of the entire town. Everything was done by the railroad boys that hearts full of tenderness and sympathy could suggest. It is requested that everyone along the Eagle river will keep a close watch the latter part of this week from Friday on because it is claimed that the eight or ninth day the bodies of persons will rise to the surface.

Return to Top

TUCKER, James M.


Resident of Eagle Count Dies at St. Lukes Hospital in Denver

James M. TUCKER, of Wolcott, died at St. Luke's Hospital in Denver on the 19th day of November after a brief illness. Mr. TUCKER owned a ranch near Wolcott and was in Denver with a shipment of cattle when he was suddenly taken ill. He was taken to St. Luke's hospital where he lingered for a week.

Mr. TUCKER was 48 years old and had been a resident of Wolcott for several years. He leaves surviving him a widow a son, Edwin TUCKER and a daughter, Mrs. Murray F. KELLY _______ of whom reside at Wolcott. Mr. TUCKER's remains were taken to Butler, Missouri, his old family home, where the interment took place.

Return to Top


A Pioneer of Basalt Dies. R. L. TUCKER of Pitkin and Eagle counties, died January 15, at his home in Basalt from heart trouble.

Mr. TUCKER was 74 years of age last month. He came to Leadville with the first seekers after wealth in 1874 and later found his way to Pitkin county, being present at the big rush which brought Aspen for the notice of the mining world.

During his residence on the Western Slope, Mr. TUCKER was engaged in mining, farming, and the mercantile business. For several years Mr. and Mrs. TUCKER lived quietly in their comfortable home in Basalt. Mr. TUCKER was ailing but a few days before the end came. Glenwood Post.

Mr. TUCKER was buried at Glenwood, the funeral services being held at the home of his brother, R. H. TUCKER, Sunday afternoon.[23 Jan 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

Return to Eagle County Main page

Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb