HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:47:46 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

Click on the name below to jump to the location on this page.

VA * VE * VI * VO * VY *


  • VALASQUEZ, Ben - Death Result of Quarrel Over Early Morning Meal. Ben VALASQUEZ, Mexican Miner At Gilman is Killed By Frank SILVA -- Coroner's Jury Gives Slayer Clean Self Defense Bill.

    Ben VALASQUEZ, a Mexican laborer employed by the Empire Zinc company at Gilman, was shot and killed last Sunday morning at about 1:00 o'clock, by Frank SILVA, another Mexican and at whose home VALASQUEZ was rooming. Following the shooting, SILVA gave himself up to an officer, claiming that he had killed in self defense.

    A deputy sheriff brought SILVA to Eagle and turned him over to Sheriff WILSON, and Sunday evening the prisoner, accompanied by the sheriff was returned to Gilman for the coroner's inquest, which was presided over by Coroner Noah DYMENBERG of Minturn, assisted by District Attorney W. H. LUBY. SILVA was represented at the inquest by Attorney W. J. MEEHAN. The coroner's jury found that VALASQUEZ came to his death by means of a gun shot wound in the left side, at the hands of Frank SILVA, who acted in defense of himself, his home and property.

    There was one other eye-witness to the killing besides, SILVA, Jack REDON, and the stories of these two as told to the coroner's jury, were substantially the same.

    VALASQUEZ had been drinking, and was pretty well under the influence of liquor and in a quarrelsome mood when the fatal altercation took place. REDON and SILVA met VALASQUEZ on the streets in Gilman and the three proceeded to SILVA'S home, VALASQUEZ being a boarder there. He was loud in his talk as they went home, and is said to have declared that he was going to kill somebody. When the men entered the house, VALASQUEZ demanded something to eat. SILVA got him a cold lunch. But he was not satisfied and insisted that Mrs. SILVA, who was in a bed asleep in another room, get up and prepare him a meal. When he proceeded toward the woman's room to awaken her, SILVA protested and prevented him from carrying out his purpose. VALASQUEZ then went into his own room, leaving the door open, and opened up his trunk. When he raised up he turned on SILVA with a revolver in his hand, and threatened him with it. SILVA grappled with the armed man, and in the ensuing scuffle VALASQUEZ was thrown to the floor and SILVA secured the gun. There was a box of tools under the edge of the bed containing a hammer, and as he made to move which SILVA interpreted to be to get the hammer with which to resume the fight, he shot, the bullet striking in the left side in the region of the heart. VALASQUEZ died within a short time after receiving the wound.

    In view of the findings of the coroner's inquest, and after making a careful personal investigation District Attorney LUBY has decided not to prosecute SILVA for killing, and the latter was turned loose by the sheriff Monday afternoon.[11 Feb. 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • VALDEZ, Aurora Dorothy E. LOVATO 1932-1997 - Aurora Dorothy E. LOVATO VALDEZ died May 11 in Denver. She was 64.

    Aurora was born in LaFlorida, Colo. to Leopoldo and Madelina BARELA SEGURA on July 18, 1932. She was married for 41 years to Herman VALDEZ, who died June 4, 1989 in Grand Junction. She married Filemon LOVOTO in September 1990, and he died Oct. 13, 1990.

    Aurora was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Minturn and a past member of The Alter and Rosary Society in Arizona. She also enjoyed fishing, camping, travel and pets.

    Rosary was held May 14 at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Minturn; Mass of Christian Burial was held May 15. at St. Patrick's, with Father Tom DENTICI officiating at both services. Interment was at River View Cemetery in Minturn.

    Survivors include: Four sons, Daniel H. (Maria-CONSUELO) VALDEZ, Walter F. (Eileen SALAZAR) VALDEZ, and Michael J. (Lou Ann) VALDEZ; grandchildren Walter P.(Anna Marie) VALDEZ, Melvin A. VALDEZ, John J. (Shelly)VALDEZ, jr., Steve R. (Toni) VALDEZ, Jennifer Ann VALDEZ, Nathan J. VALDEZ, Thomas D, VALDEZ, Cameron T. VALDEZ, Brenda M. VALDEZ, Joseph K. VALDEZ, Daniel A. VALDEZ and Julian VALDEZ; great grandchildren Walter H. VALDEZ 111, Anjelica Rose and Timothy; sister Madeline ARCHULETA; daughter-in-law Lucille M. VALDEZ; and the Filemon LOVATO family.

    Aurora was preceded in death by brother Miguel SEGURA and sister Lucille VALDEZ.

    A reception was held following the services at the parish Hall in Minturn. BAILEY Funeral Home of Leadville was in charge of arrangements.[22 May 1997, Eagle Valley Enterprise]

  • VALENCIA, Vicente - Vicente VALENCIA was born April 7, 1907 in El Guique, NM to Emiliana VALENCIA. He married Teresita MEDINA, daughter of Ursulo & Catarina MEDINA of Los Luceros, NM on Jan. 12, 1930. They moved to Red Cliff, Co., where they lived until his death. He worked in the Gilman mine for many years.

    He passed away on May 19, 1983 at his home in Red Cliff. He is survived by his wife Teresita, and two sons, Rudy of Denver, Leroy of Minturn, and five daughters Viola JARAMILLO of Red Cliff, Marcella LEYBA of Colorado Springs, Eva MADRIL of Denver, Edna SALAZAR of Red Cliff, Margueite MILLER of Edwards and many grand children. Also Survived by 2 sisters Rosanna MARTINEZ of El Guique, NM, and Frances VIGIL of Grants, NM. (The above obituary was given to me by Viola JARAMILLO personally)

  • VALENCIA, Vincent M. - Vincent M. VALENCIA was born on Dec 31, 1935 to Vecente & Teresita VALENCIA of Red Cliff, Co. He graduated from Red Cliff Union High School in 1955. He worked at the Gilman mine for 1 year. He died on Aug 1, 1956 in Denver, Colorado, from injuries sustained in a car accident. He would have turned 21 years in a few months. He is survived by his parents Vicente & Teresita VALENCIA of Red Cliff, two brothers Rudy and Leroy, and five sisters Viola, Marcella, Eva, Edna, Marguerite, all of Red Cliff. (The above obituary was given to me by Viola JARAMILLO personally)

  • VALEZ, Maria Elva - Maria Elva VALEZ, 66, of Eagle died Feb 18. Services will be at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb 23, at St. Mary's Catholic Church, with burial at Sunset View Cemetery, both in Eagle. Mrs. VELEZ was born in Cienda Noriega, Texas, on June 17, 1929. She married Remigia Gomez VELEZ, 1946. She moved to Eagle in 1945. Survivors include her husband; sons Ernesto of Colorado Springs, Eleno of Gypsum, Francisco of Minnesota, Remigia Jr. and Raul, both of Aurora; daughters Susana WELDON of Peyton, Adelmira MARTINEZ of Littleton, Mary Jane and Lucilla, both of Denver, Librada of Utah, M. Elva of California, M. Christina of Aurora, Rose of Eagle; six sisters; five brothers ; 32 grandchildren; two great grandchildren.

  • VALETT, Morris - Last Thursday evening Coroner W. H. FARNUM received a dispatch saying that the body of a man has been found in the Eagle river near Edwards. Next morning the coroner repaired to the scene and recovered the body.

    The body was caught among a huge pile of driftwood that had lodged against the middle pier of what is known as the Forgey bridge across the Eagle river. The bridge had been dismantled by the residents of the neighborhood to prevent it all being washed away. Nothing but the stringers and piers remained. The task of recovering the body was found to be a difficult one. It was firmly caught among large timbers of drift. Not until Saturday did the coroner and citizens of the neighborhood succeed in getting the body out.

    The corpse was recognized as that of Morris VALETT, who fell into the stream at Belden switch sometime ago. by a close friend of the deceased. The body had traveled in the current about sixteen miles and had been in the water sixteen days.

    Cororner FARNUM deemed as inquest not necessary and burial occurred at Edwards. The deceased was a native of Switzerland, about 35 years of age and unmarried.(6 July 1899 Eagle County Blade, p.3)

  • VAN BEEK,Tony

    Gypsum's Tony Van Beek a devout family man

    Gail Cameron-Britt

    Enterprise reporter

    Long time local, Tony van Beek of Gypsum, died at his home on Tuesday, May 30 at 4 a.m. after a year-long bout with cancer.

    The beloved father, grandfather, and church community leader was 69.

    Services have been set for Friday, June 2 at 10 a.m. at the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in downtown Denver, and on Saturday, June 3 at 10 a.m. at the Eagle Valley High School auditorium in Gypsum, officiated by Father Ed Poehlman.

    Throughout his life, van Beek was perhaps best known for his humanitarian efforts in foster care, and in his devout service to the Catholic church, particularly in his call for unification among Christians. He will also be remembered as a hard-working, and devoted family man, who appreciated the simple pleasures of life, and earnestly passed those values on to his children.

    Among those who have had a long friendship with van Beek, is Poehlman, who first met Tony and Franziska (Cissy) van Beek in 1969, at a church in Westminster. Although they didn't know it at the time, eventually, the couple would realize their dream to move to Eagle County with their seven children, and would become reacquainted with their priest at St. Mary's.

    Poehlman said Tuesday that van Beek will be remembered for his openness and generosity in service to the church as its Parish Administrator for the past five years.

    "He was a real people person, always outgoing, and a very generous and giving person with his time," said Poehlman.

    Nearly a year ago, van Beek succeeded in his quest to become a deacon, and was ordained on June 12, 1999. His wife recalls that day as one of the most precious for him.

    His children also remember their father for his loving foster care of over 100 children during his lifetime, alongside their mother.

    Daughter Mary Jo Scott recalls, "They worked with 110 babies up for adoption over the years. They also did respite care."

    Son Bill van Beek remembers his parents' work with children as inspiring.

    "It all started with our brother, Tom. He was handicapped. They never quit. When the doctors said it was no use, dad said you always have to try."

    Cissy van Beek remembers her husband's continued efforts to unify the Hispanic and Anglo communities, through the church. Son James van Beek remembers, "He came to this country from Holland, not even speaking English. But he succeeded in learning it. He started to learn Spanish in his last years."

    During his final days, among those who visited Tony van Beek at his home were members of St. Mary's Hispanic community, who prayed with him and consoled him. "You know, dad never saw color. He only saw people," said James van Beek.

    Although their father was dedicated to the church throughout his life, the van Beek children say that their father was always there for them.

    "Dad loved nature. He really liked to take us on camping vacations at Sylvan Lake. He would fish, and teach us how to tie flies. All the boys went through the Boy Scouts, and he participated, too," said Mary Jo Scott.

    Tony van Beek is also remembered by friends in the Eagle-Vail area, where he worked for New Electric for 12 years.

    James van Beek says that perhaps his father's most redeeming trait was his optimism.

    "Once someone asked him how old he was. At that time he said he was 44 years young, not old. He said his glass was always half-full. It was never half-empty."

    Tony van Beek is survived by his wife, Cissy van Beek, and seven children and their spouses, including: Mary Jo and Alan Scott of Flagstaff, Arizona; Bill and Paula van Beek of Westminster; Tony and Joan van Beek, of Wyoming; John and Cathy van Beek, of Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas; Mary Francis Dowley of Montana; James and Carrie van Beek of Gypsum; Tom van Beek of Glenwood Springs; and 10 grandchildren.

    In lieu of flowers, the van Beek family encourages memorial contributions to two of Tony's favorite causes: the St. Clare of Asissi school and Roaring Fork Hospice. A memorial account has been established in Tony's name at Wells Fargo bank. To learn more, call Kevin Brubeck, 328-6361.

    One of the proudest moments of Tony van Beed's life was the day last year he was ordained as a deacon in the Catholic Church. Equally as important as his faith was his family life with his wife, Cissy, left, the couple's seven children, and the scores of foster children who passed through their home over the years.


    Mrs. A. G. VANDERVEEN Dies on East Bound Train, of Heart Failure

    A. G. VANDERVEEN accompanied by his wife and four year old son were coming through from the Pacific coast when just below Red Cliff the lady became ill. Dr. GILPIN who happened to be on the same train was summoned buy medical attendance was of no avail and she only lingered a few minutes in a semi conscious state regaining consciousness but a moment before she died. The body was taken from the train at Red Cliff accompanied by the husband and son, and was placed in the GRAHAM undertaking parlors.

    The funeral was held from that place Tuesday morning under the auspices of the Modern Woodmen of America of which Fraternity Mr. VANDERVEEN was a member.

    Mr. VANDERVEEN only recently returned from a long cruise on one of the U. S. battleships of the Pacific Squadron on which he was a fireman and from which he holds an honorable discharge. He was met in California by his wife and boy and the three started on the return trip to their home in Walworth, Neb., but after getting this far the altitude affected the weak heart of the lady and caused her death. Mr. VANDERVEEN expressed great appreciation of the many acts of kindness shown him by the Red Cliff people in his bereavement and wishes especially to thank the Modern Woodmen for the aid extended him by that order. He left on No. 4 Tuesday afternoon for his home in Nebraska, accompanied by his boy.(4 March 1909, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

  • VAN HORN, Anna

    Sixty - Five Year Resident of Eagle county - Mrs. Anna VAN HORN passed away Monday at age of eight-six at home in Gypsum - With the death of Mrs. Annie Elizabeth Van Horn at her home in Gypsum last Monday afternoon, May 26, 1941, the oldest resident of Eagle County passed away. Mrs. VAN HORN spent the greater part of her eighty-six years in the vicinity of Gypsum, having been a resident of the community for 65 years. Born in Leavenworth county, Kansas, march 29, 1856, she was past 85 years of age at the time of her death. Two children by her first marriage, Emma Elizabeth VINING and Byron VINING , preceded her in death. February 7, 1904, the deceased was married to Howard L. VAN HORN, who died in September, 1939. To this union no children were born. Since her husband's death, Mrs. VAN HORN has been confined to her home by illness almost constantly, and the end of her suffering was no doubt a welcome event to her. Funeral services, conducted by Rev. F. W. Casselman, were held from the home in Gypsum Thursday morning, and the body was laid to rest in Cedar Hill Cemetery, with the Andre Funeral home in charge of the burial.

    [ Eagle Valley Enterprise - May 30, 1941 page 1](This obit kindley donated by Corinna CASTOR in July 1999)

  • VAN HORN, Donald W. - Donald W. VAN HORN died on Sunday, July 31 at Veterans Medical Center in Prescott, Ariz. He was 71.

    He was born June 28, 1923 in Eagle to John and Jennie Burris VAN HORN. He graduated from Eagle High School and attended the Colorado School of Agriculture for one year. He was also a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and fought in World War II in the China/Burma Operation as an infantryman. He was an avid hunter and fisherman and loved the outdoors. He moved to Phoenix form Eagle in 1974, where he was a self-employed rancher and at one time owned more than 800 head of cattle.

    Mr. VAN HORN is survived by his children, Donna, John, Debbie, Tom, Bret and Todd and his sister and brother - in - law, Beth and Lynn RANDALL of Sun Lakes, Ariz.

    A memorial service was held Friday, Aug 5 at Greenwood Memory Lawn Cemetery in Phoenix, Ariz.(18 Aug 1994, Eagle Valley Enterprise, no page listed)

  • VAN HORN, Earl Ruben - Earl Ruben Van Horn was born January 9, 1890, to Hervey and Eldora Van Horn in Ashland, Kit Carson County, Colorado and departed this life on Sept. 15, 1948, at Gypsum, Colo., at the age of 58 years following a long illness. He was one of twelve children, one of whom was his twin brother, Ernest, who died in infancy. The deceased spent his boyhood days in Dotsero and has lived all of his adult life in Eagle County. Mr. Van Horn was married to Miss Terles Penny on June 22, 1919. To this union three children were born, Eldora, Ernest and Dorothy, all of whom survive. Surviving besides his wife and three childrenare 11 grandchildren. Two sisters, Mrs. Lulu Carr of Gypsum and Mrs. Addie Irvine, of McCamey, Tex. Two brothers, John of Eagle and Frank of Gypsum and numerous nieces and nephews. The memorial service was held Friday afternoon,Sept 17, in the Methodist church in Gypsum by Rev. Paul A. Shields, andinterment was in the Gypsum cemetery. Pall bearers were life long friends of the deceased, Carl Stewart, Jim Langton, Herman Erickson, John Burris, Leo Daugherty, and Chas. Hazzard. Funeral music included two vocal trio numbers, sang by Wm. Stanley, Chas. Stanley and Marion Baker, accompanied by Mrs. LeRoy Borah. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise Newspaper September 24, 1948)

  • VAN HORN, Ella & FOSTER, John - Two Persons Killed When Locomotive Crashes into Automobile--One Injured. Gypsum Scene of Horrible Auto Tragedy Sunday Morning.

    One of the most deplorable and sad accidents which has ever happened in Eagle county shocked the Gypsum community last Sunday morning when an automobile containing three people was struck by a light engine on the D. & R. G. W. railroad crossing on the main street of Gypsum and two people killed outright and a third so seriously injured it was thought for a time she would not survive her injuries. The dead: John FOSTER, Payton Colo. Mrs. Ella VAN HORN, Gypsum, Colo.

    The injured was Violet FOSTER, fifteen year old daughter of the dead man.-----

    Mr. and Mrs. FOSTER and their daughter had arrived the evening before from their home in Payton, traveling in a new Ford coupe, for a visit with Mrs. FOSTER'S sister, Mrs. C. C. KING, and her mother, Mrs. VAN HORN, who makes her home with the KINGS in Gypsum.

    Sunday morning Mr. FOSTER, Mrs. VAN HORN and his daughter got into the car and drove up to the Stremme store in Gypsum to purchase some supplies and the horrible accident occurred on their return to the KING home, which is across the railroad track north of Gypsum. A helper locomotive in charge of engineer Sig OLESON was returning to Glenwood from a trip to Minturn with passenger train No 2. There was a number of box cars on the railroad siding, which obstructed the view of the main street of Gypsum, is reached on the state highway. This with the fact that there was a terrific wind blowing at the moment and the enclosed car making it difficult for the occupants of the car to hear anything from the outside, is probably responsible for the tragedy. Apparently the occupants of the car never saw or heard the approaching locomotive until it hit the car. The automobile was moving very slowly and when seen by the fireman and engineer they were too close to stop the engine. They blew the whistle, rang the bell and as they approached closer to the doomed car the fireman even hallowed in an effort to attract the attention of the occupants of the car. The engine struck the automobile squarely in the middle throwing it into the side of the depot, which is about fifty feet from the crossing. The car rebounded and was again struck by the locomotive and carried about fifty feet down the cement platform and hurled against the station coal house. The accident was witnessed by a number of people on the street of Gypsum, who immediately hurried to the rescue of the injured. Mrs. VAN HORN was thrown under the wheels of the locomotive and her body horribly cut up and mangled. FOSTER was picked up alongside the freight room of the depot, and both were dead when reached a few seconds after the engine hit the auto, being killed instantly.

    The girl was lying partly under the wrecked car and unconscious when picked up by the rescuers, and apparently fatally injured. She was removed to the home of Dr. W. L. CONWAY, where every attention possible was immediately given her. As she remained in a semi-conscious state all that day it was impossible to arrive at the seriousness of her condition. She was removed to the sanitarium in Glenwood Sunday evening, and at this writing, Wednesday evening, it is announced that she will undoubtedly recover.

    Mrs FOSTER, wife of the dead man and daughter of Mrs. VAN HORN, had remained at the KING home while the others went to the store in the car, and was prostrated when she first was apprised of the fate of her husband and mother. Both Mr. and Mrs. KING were in Glenwood Springs, having gone down to attend Strawberry day celebration before the arrival of their visitors, who came unexpectedly for a surprise visit.---------

    Mrs. VAN HORN was a pioneer of Colorado and Eagle county. Born in Otsego county, New York, September 14, 1852, she was married to Homer VAN HORN July 2, 1869, who preceded her in death six years ago. The deceased was the mother of ten children of whom nine are living. She is survived by a sister, living in Warren, Herkmer county, N. Y. Her husband was a brother of Herve VAN HORN of Dotsero and of Howard L. VAN HORN of Gypsum. Among her children now living in this vicinity are Mrs. C. C. KING of Gypsum and Mrs. Rudolph MITCHELL of Carbondale.-----------

    John FOSTER was a native son of Colorado, having been born near table rock, in El Paso county in 1876. He is survived by the widow and one child, the daughter who was injured at the time he met his death. He was a member of Calhan Lodge No 115, I. O. O. F.

    The double funeral service was held at the Methodist church in Gypsum Tuesday afternoon. The sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. GAITHER, pastor of the local Methodist church, and the Gypsum Odd Fellows attended the funeral in a body out of respect of their deceased brother and had charge of the services at the grave.---------

    No blame attaches to the engine crew of the locomotive which struck the automobile and caused the very sad tragedy. Both engineer and fireman made every effort humanly possible to prevent the collision.{29 June 1923, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • VAN HORN, Frank R. - Died in Glenwood Hospital - Frank R. Van Horn, resident of Gypsum for 59 years, died in Veterans Hospital in Grand Junction April 29 at the age of 68 years. Mr. Van Horn had been in failing health for the past several months. Frank Rose Van Horn was born in Ashland, Colorado October 5, 1887 to Hervey and Eldora Van Horn, one of 12 children. He was preceded in death by his parents five sisters and four brothers. The family moved to the Gypsum Valley when Frank was nine years old. Mr. Van Horn grew to manhood and attended school in Gypsum. November 22, 1922 he was united in marriage to Miss Elanora Surber at Glenwood Springs. During his lifetime, Mr. Van Horn was a farmer an rancher, and was employed at the Empire Zinc Company mines in Gilman for a time. He served overseas during the first World War, and was a member of American Legion Post 150, IOOF Lodge, Rebekah Lodge and the American Legion 40&8. He is survived by his wife, Elanora of Gypsum; one daughter, Mrs. Betty McKay of Gypsum; one sister, Mrs. Addie Irvine of Cisco, Tex. and one brother, John Van Horn, Phoenix, Ariz., and numerous nieces and nephews. funeral services were conducted by Rev. Byron Hasstedt at the American Legion Hall in Gypsum. Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The American Legion post of Gypsum held a military service with four Eagle County High School band members sounding taps. Interment was in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Gypsum, Farnum Mortuary directed the funeral. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise May 3, 1956)

    VAN HORN, Frank R. - Frank Rose (Fuzzy) Van Horn was born October 5, 1887 to Hervey and Eldora Van Horn in Ashland, Kit Carson County, Colorado and departed this life on April 29, 1956 in the Veterans Hospital in Grand Junction at the age of 68 years, 7 months. He was one of 12 children, five sisters an four brothers preceded him in death. He came to Eagle County with his parents when he was nine and he lived here his entire life with the exception of eleven months that he was in the Army during World War I seeing service overseas in France. He was united in marriage to Miss Elnora M. Surber on November 22, 1992 at Glenwood Springs, Colorado to them was born one daughter Betty Frances. I nthe early years of Frank's life he farmed in Gypsum Valley and later was janitor and school bus driver at the Gypsum Grade School for seven years. He worked three years at the Empire Zinc Company in Gilman, three years for the D&RGW rail road in Minturn and in 1954-55 he was caretaker of Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum. Frank loved work. Up to the time his health failed him, he was up early every morning, working hard and conscientiously at everything he did. He always planted and cared for a big garden giving much of it away, and he built and continually worked at improving his nice little home and yard in Vicksburg. Next to working he liked best to hunt and fish. He often hiked into rugged Deep Creek canyon to fish, one of his favorite spots even Tho it was difficult to reach. He liked being with people, visiting and exchanging talks of earlier days. Frank loved his American Legion, 40 and 8 and the Odd Fellows and Rebekah Lodges. He was a good member of each Eagle River Valley Post 150, Locale Voiture 1265 of the 40 and 8, Crown Lodge 146, Independent Order of Oddfellows; and Crater Rebekah Lodge 105. He is survived by his wife, Elanora, his daughter and son-in-law, Betty and Jim McKay of Glenwood Springs; one brother, John W. Van Horn, Phoenix Ariz., one sister, Addie Irvine of Cisco, Tex., numerous nieces and nephews and a host of friends. Military services were held at the American legion Hall in Gypsum May 3 by Rev. Byron Hasstedt and Legion Commander Ira Bindley and were attended by a large congregation of people from all over the valley. The body was laid to rest in the family plot in Cedar Hill Cemetery, where graveyard services ere conducted by Crown Lodge and the American Legion. During the services a male quartet, Elmer Clodfelter, LeRoy Borah, L. W. Simmons, and L.D. Mullen sang "No Night There" and "Beautiful Garden of Prayer" accompanied by Mrs. Borah at the piano. Pall bearers were Herman Erickson, John T. Hartman, F.H. Reynolds, Willis Staup, William H. Luby, Oscar Anderson, Honorary pall bearers: M.A. Frazier, Joe Phillips, Ed Hendrickson, G. R. Kelly, Ralph Hoyt and Dave Carter. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise May 10, 1956)

  • VAN HORN, Frederick C. - Former Eagle-Co. Citizen Dies in Routt County - Frederick C. Van Horn, former citizen of Eagle County and eldest son of Hervey Van Horn of Dotsero and nephew of Howard L. Van Horn of Gypsum, passed away Monday, April 1, at his ranch home near Columbine in Routt County. Mr. Van Horn was 61 years of age an unmarried. He and his brother, Will, kept bachelor quarters at their ranch eleven miles from Columbine, which they homesteaded twenty-two years ago, moving there from Eagle County in 1913. Frederick C. Van Horn was born in Oswego County, New York, August 31, 1873. IN 1886 he came with his parents to Western Kansas, where they remained about 10 years and then moved to Eagle County. Here he homesteaded the ranch at Dotsero on which his father, Hervey Van Horn now lives, and remained there for seventeen years, prior to moving to Routt County. During that time he made many friends in Eagle County and in Glenwood Springs, who will learn with regret of his death. Surviving him are his aged father, four brothers and five sisters, and and uncle, nearly all living in Eagle County. When word was received of critical illness his brother, Frank, of Gypsum and his brother-in-law, Jim Gilpin, of Eagle went immediately to the ranch where they assisted in caring for him until his death, which occurred about a week later. His brothers an sisters are Will, who was his ranch partner; Frank and Earl of Gypsum, and John of Brush Creek; Mrs. B.F. Long and Mrs. James Gilpin of Eagle; Mrs. Lulu Carr of Gypsum; Mrs. Addie Irvine of Texas; and Mrs. Fanny Tibbitts of Raton, New Mexico. There are also several nephews and nieces. Funeral services were conducted at Steamboat Springs at 2 P.M. Thursday, April 4, 1935. Interment was in the Cemetery at Steamboat Springs. Relatives from here attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Robt. Orr, Mrs. Lulu Carr, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Van Horn, Mr. and Mrs. James Gilpin, John Van Horn, B.F. Long, Mr and Mrs. Ami Hoyt and daughter, Margie Lou, and Earl Van Horn. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise Newspaper - April 12, 1935)

  • VAN HORN, Hervey - Death of Hervey Van Horn - Sunday afternoon scores of old friends an neighbors of Hervey Van Horn during his long lifetime gathered at the church in Gypsum to pay their last respects to a man whom they had long respected, one of the true pioneers of Colorado and Eagle county, who passed away at the home of his son, Frank Van Horn, in Gypsum on Thursday, April 18, 1940.

    Mr. Van Horn was past 90 years of age, having been born in Otsego County, N.Y., February 3, 1850. In childhood he moved with his family to Little Falls, N.Y., where on January 22, 1870, he was married to Eldora Yates. He learned the trade of a carpenter, and followed it most of his life. In 1886he joined a caravan of other New York state families, and , heeding Horace Greeleys advice of "Go West Young Man, Go West," came to Kit Carson county, Colorado, the trip more than half way across the continent being made in covered wagons. He took up a homestead in Kit Carson County, but as there had been a drought for several years in that section, he soon abandoned the land and moved on to western Colorado, landing in Gypsum that same year - September of 1886. He worked here at his trade and farmed taking up a ranch at Dotsero which was the Van Horn family home for many years.

    In 1903, death claimed his beloved wife, Eldora. Later he married Mrs. Stena Gilbert, who also preceded him in death, passing away June 12, 1936. For the past three years , Mr. Van Horn has been sorely afflicted. An infected foot, which it was thought would end his life long ago, causing him much suffering, but his imodmitable spirit and courage keep him going until finally the body, if not the spirit, gave up the ghost, and Hervey J. Van Horn passed on to his reward.

    Among those who survive to mourn his death are four sons - William, of Columbine, Colorado; Frank and Earl, of Gypsum, Colo.; John of Eagle, Colo; three daughters - Mrs. Lulu Carr, of Gypsum, Colo.; Mrs. George Irvine, of McCamey, Tex.; Mrs. Fannie Tibbetts, of Carbondale, Colo., and several grandchildren and great grandchildren.

    Funeral services were conducted from the church in Gypsum with Rev. F. W. Casselman delivering the discourse, and Mortician Paul Andre in charge of the burial services.

  • VAN HORN, Howard L. - Another one of the highly respected pioneers of Eagle county was called to his last reward the past week, when Howard L. VAN HORN died at his home in Gypsum, Monday morning, September 18, at the age of 84 years.

    Mr. VAN HORN was stricken with a stoke of paralysis on Labor Day while on a fishing trip with John FRYE at their camp on Twin Lakes near Leadville. He was brought home, and apparently was recovering from the attack when he was seized again Monday and quickly passed away.

    Howard VAN HORN was one of Gypsum's and Eagle county's finest citizens. He was forward in all progressive affairs of his community, served the town as a member of the board of trustees, and for several years as mayor. He numbered among his friends hundreds of citizens, not only of Gypsum, but throughout the county.

    Howard L. VAN HORN was born at Schyulers's Lake, NY, October 10, 1855, the son of the late Maryette and Cornelius VAN HORN. He graduated from the State University of Iowa, at Des Moines, in 1884, and practiced law in the state of Kansas in 1887. After that he was in business with William WINGER in McCook, Nebr., for a time.<

    He came to Colorado in 1894, making his residence in Aspen, moving to Gypsum in 1896. He was married to Anna VINING, February 7, 1904, in Gypsum, Colo., who survives her husband. For a number of years he worked for DOLL & SCHLIFF Mercantile company in Gypsum, and for a time was engaged in farming and mining in Gypsum canon. He was a charter member of Castle Lodge No. 122, A. F. & A. M., of Eagle when it was formed on June 1, 1907.

    He leaves to mourn his loss, the widow, one brother, Harvey J. VAN HORN both of Gypsum, and numerous nephews and nieces, and a host of friends.

    Funeral services were held at Gypsum on Wednesday afternoon under auspices of the Masonic lodge and the body laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery in that town.

  • VAN HORN, Ruth - Ruth, the eight year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John VAN HORN, passed away Thursday morning, February 28, at the Montgomery hotel in Eagle.

    The little girl had been sick for several weeks with congestion of the kidneys, and every thing possible had been done to save her life, but without avail.

    Her parents had had her in a Glenwood hospital for treatment, when as she appeared to be better, brought her home, to the ranch on Brush creek. Wednesday her condition became worse, and Dr. BRYSON was called in, and he could give her constant attention. But she was past human aid and the end came early yesterday morning.

    Funeral will be held in Gypsum today, Friday , at o'clock p. m.[1 March 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

  • VAN HORN, Stena Fugal - Passed Away June 11 - One of the Pioneer Women of Eagle County - Died after only short illness - Laid to rest in Gypsum Cemetery, Sunday afternoon. Mrs. H. J. Van horn passed away at a hospital in Glenwood Springs, Colo., Thursday evening, June 11, 1936, after an illness of only a few hospital days. Mrs. Van Horn had been a resident at Dotsero for 32 years, an was a dearly beloved woman by her family and neighbors. Mrs. Van Horn's illness had been apparent but a short time, and was not considered serious up to within a few hours of her death. Stena FUGAL was born at Peasant Grove, Utah, November 9, 1871. After having lived in the lower country of the western slope of Colorado and at Leadville for several years, she came to Eagle county about the year 1904, when she was united in marriage to H.J. Van Horn at Price, Utah, July 5, 1904, and made her residence thereafter at Dotsero until the time of her death. While she was never blessed with children of her own, she was a real mother to the children of her husband and gave them the training and love that their own mother would have given then sacrificing her own feelings and pleasures for the sake of the family. She was a devoted wife, a good neighbor and friend to those whom she knew. She was a member of the Momon church, and has tried to live true to its teachings in her daily life, and the last request was that she be buried by an elder of the church. While of the Mormon faith, she was never the less sympathetic and helpful to other people and encouraged them to live as their church and the Bible taught them. Her departure from this life leaves to mourn her passing, her husband, H.J. Van Horn, of the home; one brother, James Fugal, of Shelly, Idaho, one sister, Lizzie Godfrey of...the rest was missing of of obit. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise June 19, 1936)

  • VAN HORN, William Burtwood - Early Resident of County Died In Glenwood Springs: William Burtwood Van Horn was born July 1, 1875, in Otsego County, New York, and passed this life. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise - May 24, 1946 page 1)

    VAN HORN, William Burtwood - Early resident of county dies in Glenwood Springs - William Burtwood Van Horn was born July 1, 1875, in Otsego County, New York, and passed this life at the Community hospital in Glenwood Springs, On May 8, 1946, at the age of 70 years, 10 months and 7 days. His parents came west to Neville, Kansas, when Mr. Van Horn was 11 years of age. In 1896, the family moved to Dotsero, Colo. On March 22, 1937, he was united in marriage with Anabelle Phillips, in Leadville, Colo. Mr. and Mrs. Van Horn then made their home in Columbine, Routt county, Colorado, until July 1941, when they moved to Grand Valley where they have lived since. Mr. Van Horn is survived by his widow, three brothers an two sisters: John of Eagle, Colo., Frank of Minturn, Colo.; and Earl of Gypsum, Colo. The two sisters are Mrs. Lulu Carr of Gypsum, and Mrs. Addie Irvine of McCamey, Tex. In addition to these immediate relatives, there are several nieces, nephews and many friends. Grand Valley News. (The Eagle Valley Enterprise Newspaper - May 24, 1946)

    Return to Top


  • VIGIL, Santiago L. 1909 - 1995

    Rosary services were held Feb. 20 at St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Julesburg, Colo. for former Red Cliff resident Santiago L. VIGIL, who died Feb. 17. He was 86. Interment was at the Sedgwick Cemetery.

    Santiago was born July 24, 1909 in the home of his parents in Los Hueros, N.M. He was the eldest son of Ramon and Dolores VIGIL. As a young man he worked at his father's sheep ranch. He married Melior Veronix VIGIL (no relation) on Nov. 20, 1933 after the couple met at a school function in Colomor, N.M.

    The couple moved to Wyoming where Santiago worked for Union Pacific. He later moved his family to Red Cliff in 1945 to start work for the New Jersey Zinc Company in Gilman. He retired from that position in 1981 and moved to Sedgwick, Colo.

    He was preceded in death by his brother, Reyneldo VIGIL; stepbrother Solome DURAN; and stepsister Refugio. He is survived by his wife, Melior; six children and their spouses; Emilio VIGIL and Wife Gail of Memphis, Tenn., Mary Eleanor BOGDAN of Santa Clara, Calif., Betty Lou SMITH and husband Dan of Sedgwick, Erline HARE and husband Don of Walls, Miss., Jim VIGIL and wife Carolynne of Indianapolis, Ind., and Leonard "Tony" VIGIL of Austin, Tex; 17 grandchildren; six great- grandchildren; three brothers, Juan, Alfonso , and Ramon VIGIL., all of New Mexico. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 2 March 1995)

  • VILLANUEVA, Marion - Young Mexican Railroad Employee Loses Life in Colorado River While Fishing Last Sunday. Marion VILLANUEVA, a Mexican youth 19 years old was drowned in the Colorado river at Yarmony last Sunday when a boat in which he and a companion Julian GUERRERO were fishing was capsized.

    The two boys were fishing with a trout line set in the river and were skirting along the bank of the stream in the boat when the current swept them out into the river into an eddy. The boat was capsized and young VILLANUEVA thrown into the deep swift water and disappeared from view, while his companion was thrown near the river bank into quieter water and was able to get to shore.

    VILLANUEVA's body had not been recovered at last accounts , though every effort was made to do so. The water in the river is very high and treacherous at this time of year and it is impossible to do much toward searching the river for the body.

    As the report of the tragedy first reached Eagle, it appeared that the drowned man might have met with foul play at the hands of his companion, and District Attorney LUBY made a trip to the scene of the accident to investigate, but found the circumstances of the death as we have related them above.

    The drowned man was employed as a laborer on the Moffat railroad section.[9 May 1924, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]


    Last Saturday Byron VINING, 12 years old son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. VINING, of Gypsum, was killed by a cave of earth while at play.

    Byron and two sons of Mr. and Mrs. George COWDEN, both younger, were digging in a bank of earth near the Jonas LINDGREN residence, preparing for the celebration of Easter. The boys were excavating a cave in which they were going to cook eggs and enjoy an Easter feast. Without warning the ground caved, catching all three. One of the COWDEN boys extricated himself and then managed to rescue his brother who was only partially buried. Byron was completely buried and the COWDEN boys hastened to their home, some distance away, to inform their mother. Mrs. COWDEN ran to the rescue while the boys hastened to the neighbors to give the alarm.

    Mrs. COWDEN on arriving at the scene, made heroic effort to rescue the unfortunate boy, but being without means of knowing just where he lay, she was unsuccessful. Assistance later arrived and the body was finally recovered, but life was quite extinct. All means of resuscitation at had were employed, and friends worked over the body for an hour in an endeavor to restore respiration but without avail.

    The funeral occurred on Monday and was largely attended. Byron was an exceptionally bright boy, a thorough little gentleman, and a general favorite in the community. He was the pride of his parents and in his untimely death Mr. and Mrs. VINIGN lose their only surviving child. Some two years ago their daughter died and the distressing and untimely death of the son is a s3evere blow to the parents. Mrs. VINIGN is completely prostrated by the accident and on the first of the week was in a serious condition. The sympathy of many friends is extended to the heart broken parents.(3 Apr 1902, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    Return to Top



    From the Yampa Leader

    Dr. H. C. DODGE, of Steamboat, coroner of Routt county, and W. HL BASHOR, the undertaker, were in Yampa last Saturday night, returning home from McCoy, where they had been called by what was at first feared to have been a murder. On Friday the body of Henry VOIGHT, a German laborer, was found in one of the Moffat road tunnels being constructed near Rock creek crossing. The skull was crushed, and foul play was suspected. The coroner's jury which was impaneled found a verdict however, that BOIGHT came to his death by falling from a ladder, a distance of seventeen feet. A sister of the deceased desired to have the body sent to her, but was not heard from until after the remains were interred in the McCoy graveyard. VOIGHT was a man about 45 years of age.(30 April 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

    Return to Top


  • VYE, Warren - Met Death Under Wheels of D. & R. G. Train. Warren VYE, of St. Paul, Minn., Falls Under No. 4 While Trying to Steal Ride and Dies From Injuries Received. A very sad accident occurred in the D. & R. G. railroad years in Eagle last Wednesday morning, when a young man, attempted to steal a ride on Passenger train No. 4, fell under the train was badly cut up and mangled by the wheels of the cars, dying a few hours later from the injuries received.

    The unfortunate man was a stranger in Eagle, and, with a companion, was "beating" his way east. They had been around Eagle that evening and decided to go east on No. 4 that night. When the train pulled up to the water tank to take water they attempted to jump onto the front end of the baggage car, when the young man, who gave his name as Warren VYE, lost his footing and fell under the train. His companion made the train all right and went on with it, not missing his companion in the dark.

    An extra train, which was waiting in the yards here for No. 4 to pass, pulled onto the main line as soon as the passengers had gone, and the engineer saw the injured man laying on the track in front of his engine, and the train crew, on investigating found that he was badly injured and carried him to the depot. Doctors MONTGOMERY and GREENE were at once called and cared for VYE'S injuries. His right arm was mangled so badly that it had to be taken off just below the shoulder and his left leg was crushed above the knee and had to be amputated near the hip. His condition was such that it was feared that he would not live until he could be taken to the hospital, but Dr. MONTGOMERY put him on No. 2 that morning and accompanied him to the D. & R. G. hospital at Salida, where he died soon after arriving there.

    The unfortunate man gave his age as twenty-six years and said that his home was in St. Paul, Minn., where his parents resided at 1449 Cleveland avenue. His father, John VYE, was notified of the accident to his son by station agent R. W. JEFFERS.[29 Aug. 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

    Return to Top

    Return to Eagle County Main page

    Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb