HOME Biographies Cemeteries Census Churches   Help   Land
Military Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries Surnames Towns &


If you have additions or corrections please contact Pat McArthur

This page was last updated Sunday, 23-Jan-2011 05:47:45 MST

Click on the letter to take you to another page.

A * Ba-Bl * Bo-By * C * D * E * F * G * H * I * J * K * L * M * N * O * P * Q * R * S * T * U * V * W * X * Y * Z

WALSH, Emily A. Leonard

Pioneer Lady of Red Cliff Dies. Mrs. Mike WALSH Passes to Her Reward--A Highly Respected Lady Whose Demise Will Be Regretted By Many Friends.

News of the death of Emily A. WALSH, wife of former county commissioner M. A. WALSH of Red Cliff, in a hospital in Salida where she had been suffering for many weeks, last Thursday, was received with sorrow by the many friends of the family in this community. With her husband, Mrs. WALSH was among the very early settlers of Eagle county. The following obituary notice is republished from the Holy Cross Trail of Red Cliff:

Emily A. Leonard WALSH was born in the little town of Cornwall, Prince Edwards Island, seventy-one yeas ago, where she was raided and educated, living on the adjoining farm where her husband was raised. They attended school together and were engaged to be married before M. A. came to Colorado to establish a home. They were united in matrimony at Formingham, Mass., in 1888, Mr. WALSH bringing his bride to Red Cliff where they have since made their home, raising their family of two daughters, Mrs. Nellie McNAMARA , of Salida, and Mrs. Imelda NEFF of Moberly, Mo., and William W. WALSH of Red Cliff, and seven grandchildren survive her. Two children, a son and a daughter, passing on in early life.

Mrs. WALSH was one of the substantial neighbors of our community; always charitable, dignified, reserved and home loving. She was a devout Catholic, and one of the pillars of that organization of which her efforts, assistance and devotion kept active.

Father STEARNS of Leadville administered the last rites, saying mass for the departed soul.

The pall bearers were: Joe MACK, Gus BENSON, Hugh RILEY, Tom FLANNERY, J. M. DISMANT, ant O. W. DAGGETT.

She was laid to rest amid a bower of blowers beside the graves of her departed ones in Evergreen cemetery. Another of our most worthy pioneers has journeyed to the end of the "long, long trail."[2 Nov. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

WALSH, Mary Alice

Mary Alice, the 4 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M. A. WALSH died very suddenly early last Friday morning, March 17. The child had been ill only a day or two and had not at any time been considered in any danger. On the evening before her death she was not thought to be dangerously sick either by her parents or the attending physician. It is not definitely known what caused the little one's sudden death. Rev. Father O'BAGLEY, of Glenwood Springs, conducted the funeral service which occurred on Saturday. Little Mary Alice was the pet of the WALSH household and a general favorite amount the acquaintances of the family. she is greatly missed by her little playmates of the neighborhood, and sincere sympathy is extended by many friends to the bereaved relatives. (23 Mar 1899 Eagle County Blade, p. 3)

Return to Top

WALSH, Leonard

On Thursday morning, May 22, Leonard, the young son of Mr. and Mrs. M. A. Walsh, died after several weeks of very severe illness. The child was two years and three months old and was first taken ill several weeks ago with pneumonia. Several times during his illness he showed some improvement, but at no time were his chances for recovery very bright.

The funeral occurred on Friday with services at the Catholic church, Father N F. Healy of Leadville officiating. The church was filled with friends of the family, and the floral remembrances were beautiful and numerous. The interment occurred at Greenwood cemetery.
Eagle County Blade, May 29, 1902, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

WALSH, Michael Ambrose

For fifty years the ring of Mike WALSH's anvil as he pounded and shaped steel and iron with his hammer in his blacksmith shop was a familiar sound to the people of Red Cliff. Until the last few years, up until his eighty-sixth birthday in fact, Mike was up at the dawn of day, working in his shop, and more often than not it was well after the sun had gone to bed before the old blacksmith laid down his hammer, hung up his leather apron, and called it a day.

But now the sun has set for the last time for Michael Ambrose WALSH, the blacksmith who hammered out a moderate fortune over his anvil. For on Wednesday night, February 15, three months after he celebrated his 90th birthday, Mr. WALSH passed to that land from which no traveler returns. The Death Angel came quietly and Michael obeyed the summons, no doubt willingly, to again call it a day, lay down the hammer and hang up his apron on a nail for the last time.

Born of Ellen and Thomas WALSH, at Soris, Prince Edwards Island, Canada, November 18, 1848, he left his native land in February 1880 and arrived in Leadville in March of that year. He had learned the blacksmith's trade at his father's forge, and on arriving at the famous mining camp, he continued to follow his trade. He worked for a smithy in Leadville for two years, when the discovery of ore in the quartzite formation on Battle Mountain drew hundreds of miners to the new camp, and Mike's employer sent him over there to open a shop at the mouth of Rock creek in the Eagle river canon. He ran this business for a year, and then moved to Red Cliff, which became the center of the Battle Mountain mining district. There in 1883, he opened up his own shop. In the same location for 56 years he continued in business. Some years ago, associated with his son, William, he built a modern garage and automobile sales building on the site - but always maintained a forge and anvil, where he worked until five years ago.

In 1888 he went back to Boston, where he was met by Emily A. LEONARD, and the two were married. He brought his bride out to the mining camp in the mountains and there they lived together until Mrs. WALSH pass a few years ago. Five children were born to the union, two of whom died in infancy. Those surviving being Mrs. Nellie Mc NAMARA, now living with her family in Salida; Mrs. Emelda NEFF, living in Kansas City, Mo.; and Wm. W. WALSH of Red Cliff, who was associated with his father in business since reaching young manhood.

Mike WALCH was one of Eagle county's most widely known citizens. A life-long Democrat, for nearly half a century he was a power in the councils of his party and twice was elected a commissioner of the county, retiring from his last service in that capacity in 1920. When county commissioner he devoted a keen business mind to the affairs of the county, and no better county official has ever served the county than Mike WALSH. Of a strong mind, at times set in his ideas, when he made up his mind what was for the best interest of the county he stayed by his views until they were put into effect. Frugal in his own life, deploring waste, he applied the same principles to public affairs while in office.

His life was tied up in his home town of Red Cliff, and he would go to any reasonable limits for its betterment. He served the town as mayor and as a member of the town board of trustees for many years at various times, and the community always bettered by the service. He was prosperous in the prosecution of his business and was ever ready to give of his means to help a worthy cause or for the betterment of the community.

The world will move the same as ever, of course, and the community will go about its affairs and the younger generations will probably forget Mike WALSH, but his mark for good was left on Eagle county, for no man had a greater influence in shaping the destinies of the county than he. No history of the community would be complete that did not tell of his part in building it - he was here before it was a county, as the lines now lie, Battle Mountain being in Summit county when he arrived here - for as a young man in his prime, full of enthusiasm, and in the older years of sounder judgment, his advice and help was sought in all affairs of importance.

Funeral services were held in the Catholic church at Red Cliff Sunday afternoon, Father Horgan of Leadville conduction them, Mr. WALSH having been a devout member of that church from childhood. The little church was crowded with old friend, who gathered to pay their last respects to the memory of a wonderful man. Most of those in attendance were old residents of the county who had known the deceased for the greater part of half a century. The body was taken from the church to the little cemetery amid the pines on the hill and there laid to its well earned rest beside that of his beloved wife and tow children. Pall bearers were James MORFORD, Malcom McLEOD, A. J. CLOONEY, Ragnor NORLANDER, Hugh RILEY, and Frank McDONALD.

Besides the three children Mr. WALSH is survived by eight grandchildren - William, Lenard, John, Edwin, Mary Emily and Eleanor Mc NAMARA, Michael WALSH III, and Marcella WALSH.

Return to Top

WALSH, Michael

The death of Michael WALSH occurred at Red Cliff last Friday, April 1st, from tuberculosis of the lungs. He was one of the pioneer mining men of Battle Mountain and Holy Cross districts. The funeral was held at Leadville Wednesday.(April 9, 1909, p1)

Return to Top

WARDER, Clarine Yvonne

Clarine Yvonne WARDER of Montrose, formerly of Eagle, died Monday morning, Feb 26 at her home. She was 59.

She was born Aug 18, 1936 in Butte, Mont. to Clarence and Daphne (FINNEY) ALBECK and had been a Montrose resident for the past 15 years; she was employed as a purchasing agent for Montrose County. She spent her childhood in Montana and was a avid reader.

She is survived by her former husband, Hugh WARDER of Glenwood Springs; Daughters Amy WOODWORTH of Eagle, Lisa GUNDELFINGER of Glenwood Springs, and Mandy ALLEN of Montrose; brother Arlie ALBECK of Seattle, Wash; and seven grandchildren.

She was preceded in death by her parents and one son, Harold Patrick Timothy WARDER.

Cremation preceded the funeral service and a memorial service will be held Thursday, Feb. 29 at 1 p.m. at the Crippin Funeral Home Chapel in Montrose. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be sent to the Woman's Resource Center, 238 South 2nd St., Montrose, CO 81401. (29 Feb 1996, Eagle Valley Enterprise)

Return to Top

WARREN, Arabella Ambra Johnson

Monday evening, December 12th, Mrs. Arabella Ambra Warren, wife of D. & R. G. Physician C. B. Warren, of Minturn passed to the great beyond, after an illness of a short time. Mrs. Warren was taken to the Salida hospital several months ago and was much improved up to a short time ago when she went into rapid decline, sinking rapidly up to time of her death.

She was a woman of great fortitude, never complaining, even when death was inevitable. Her's was an exceptional character. She was a true Christian doing good at all times, and was one of the builders of the Congregational church at Minturn of which church she was a member. She was also president of school district No. 11 for the past several years and was a great education worker.

Mrs. Warren was born in Cornish, New Hampshire, November 11, 1866 and died at the age of 44 years. She leaves a husband, and two daughters aged 12 and 14 respectively.

The Blade joins the many friends of Dr. Warren in extending their sincere sympathy.
Eagle County Blade, Dec. 22, 1910, p.1 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

WARREN, Arabella A.

Arabella A. Johnson, wife of Dr. C. B. Warren, passed peacefully into the higher life December 12th, 1910.

Born in Cornish, N. H. Nov, 11, 1866, of puritan blood, she was a relative of Hon. Salmon P. Chase and others of distinguished ancestry. Rev. Alva Spaulding was her grandfather.

Her early life was spent in her native town, then graduating from Kimball Union Academy [and/at] O? College. She spent several years as teacher, some of which were in K. U. A. where she attained marked success.

After her marriage she went to Florida and lived there nearly ten years, thence to Minturn, Colorado where she lived the remaining years of her life. Her life was that of an active, practical Christian. She lived for others and was loved by all who knew her.

She took and [sic] active part in the V. I. A. of her Florida home, was instrumental in starting the first kindergarten in that place and was greatly interested in the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs.

She was the first president of the Ladies Aid Society in Minturn and did all in her power to secure the first church building there. She was actively interested in education and was president of the Minturn school board at the time of her death. Her sympathy, good cheer and hopefulness were wonderfully uplifting to the community, being especially noticeable because she bore with graceful fortitude the almost constant pain of an incureable disease she bravely continued her work, both public and private.

For her there was no fear of death; realizing that the end was near, her last expressed thought was: "God is my Life, there is no death."

The Minturn Sunday School and many friends expressed their affection for her by sending beautiful floral tributes.
Eagle County Blade, Dec. 22, 1910, p.5 - Contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top


Last Saturday night Frank WARREN, brother of Mrs. James COX of Gilman, was fatally injured in Tennessee Pass tunnel while beating his way from Red Cliff to Leadville. At Red Cliff WARREN boarded the blind baggage of train No. 14, and all went well until he reached the tunnel at the Pass.

While passing through the tunnel the smoke nearly strangled him and the sparks and cinders, red hot, came back on him so fast that he feared his clothing would be set on fire. With the object in view of escaping some of the cinders he crawled over to the back end of the tender, hanging by his hands and allowing one leg to dangle between the car and the engine. In this manner he rode through the tunnel. When the other end of the tunnel was reached the engineer on the passenger train saw on engine in front of him which was just backing in on the siding from the main track. The air was turned on and the engine reversed but it was too late to avoid the engines hitting although they did not hit hard enough to do any material damage to the engines or the train. Not so, however, with the man who was stealing a ride. His leg was hanging between the car and the engine and when the accident happened the car crushed up against the engine partially breaking the platform and crushing his leg.

The injured man was taken to the Sister's hospital at Leadville and his relatives at Gilman notified. His limb was badly crushed at the knee, and he lingered in great agony until Tuesday evening when he died. It is said that the unfortunate man was not obliged to beat his way on account of money, but did so as a matter of choice.(24 Aug 1899, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top

WATSON, James Edward

James Edward WATSON of Grand Junction, a former long-time Eagle resident, died Feb 15 at Lutheran Hospital in Wheatridge. He was 78.

"Ed" graduated from Eagle High School in 1931. He was a farmer by trade, but was also owner and operator of Watson Excavating.

Survivors include; his wife of 57 years, Lola "May", Three daughters; Barbara Elder BUCK of Kansas City, MO, Betty Wold NEIL of Arvada, Edna Mae PHILLIPS of Grand Junction; tow sons, Jim VI of Parker, Ariz., and Don 'Butch" of Commerce City; 24 grandchildren and 38 great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by a son. "Bob" WATSON, and by grandson, Wayne WATSON.

Services were held Feb 24, at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church of Eagle.

(from the Rocky Mt. News.) James Edward "Ed" WATSON, 78, of Grand Junction died Feb 15, in Lutheran Medical Center. Services were Feb 24 in Methodist Church of Eagle. The body was cremated. Mr. WATSON was born in Coalton, Ohio. He was a farmer. Survivors include his wife, Lola; three daughters, Barbara ELDER of Kansas City, MO, Betty WOLD of Arvada and Edna PHILLIPS of Grand Junction; two sons, Jim of Parker, Ariz., and Don of Commerce City; 24 grandchildren. Contribution; Make-A-Wish Foundation, 7535 E. Hampden Ave., Englewood, 80155

Return to Top

WEBB, William

Death of William WEBB
Old Timer of Eagle County Crosses the Great Divide

William WEBB, of Minturn, died at his home there on Monday last. He has been ill for several years and latterly suffered greatly from dropsy. His funeral is being held in Red Cliff as the Blade goes to press. Full details will be published in our next issue.(5 Nov 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WEDMORE, Elizabeth F. Sheldon

Elizabeth F. SHELDON was born in Meadville, Ohio, February 7th 1878, was married to Mr. Daniel L. WEDMORE in Unionville, Iowa. To the union were born five children, four girls and one boy. Two of the girls died at 7 and 10 years of age, and the remaining are living in Eagle; Mrs. PING and Mrs. GLEASON. The son, Arthur WEDMORE, is at present in Arizona.

Mrs. WEDMORE at the age of twenty became a member of the Dunkard church and was a consistent member of same until her death.

Mrs. WEDMORE died Nov. 15th, 1917, of pneumonia, aged 58 years, 9 months, leaving her husband, son and two daughters and a host of friends to mourn her loss.[23 Nov. 1917, Western Slope Enterprise, p1

Return to Top


John WEISKOPF died in Grand Junction last Sunday morning, August 24, 1941.

Mr. WEISKOPF was one of the real pioneers of Colorado. When he was a small lad, in 1872, his parents came to Colorado from Chicago, Ill., where the elder WEISKOPF had lost everything he had in the great Chicago fire. They settled near Boulder, where John grew to manhood. He early took to the newspaper business, having peddled the Boulder Camera on the streets of Boulder and nearby mining camps. He learned the printing trade in the Camera office. When Steamboat Springs came into existence he went to that town ahead of the railroad and for a number of years published the Sentinel. Whether or not he was associated with Charley LOCKENBY in the publishing business there, we are not sure, but believe he was for a time.

The mining game always intrigued him and all during his life Mr. WEISKOPF was interested in it. Leaving Steamboat for a time he was in the mining camps of Nevada for a few years. While there he got a story of a hidden body of ore in the Old Lucy mine on New York mountain from a miner who had worked there in the early '90's. On his return to Routt county, the Lady Belle strike on Horse Mountain near Eagle broke, and that brought to his mind the story told him in Nevada. He came to Eagle in 1913, and , associated with John STORY, took up a mining claim, the Calientes, in the Fulford district, but not on New York mountain. Later he, together with tom GLEASON, Gus MEYER and Bill DICKINSON, took over the Lucy or adjoining property and worked it for years.

Mr. WEISKOPF remained at Fulford looking for the "lost" ore body in New York Mountain, until the few years his health became so poorly that he could no longer follow his hobby.

A year or so ago he went to Grand Junction and lived with his old friend Dr. JEFFERSON, formerly of Steamboat Springs.

We did know, but have forgotten, his age, but it was in the late seventies.

For years John would come down from Fulford when we were overrun with work in the print shop, and help us out in the mechanical department. He was not only a good compositor, but "flung a wicked pen," when he was in the humor, and on occasion, wrote us some very good stories, usually on mining subjects.

So passes another of the few remaining men who saw Colorado in the making, and helped in her development. John WEISKOPF was of that hardy type of American citizen now fast disappearing , and their like will be known no more. The country possibly has passed the stage in its history where such men and women are needed, but we are loath to see them go. For one thing, possibly , it reminds us that our time also is soon coming

Return to Top


Last night, or early this morning Jack WELSH was found lying on the floor of the bunk house, dead.

"Jack" has for years been a "rounder" in Basalt. Probably no individual ever drank more whiskey, in the same length of time, than he. Not with standing all his short comings, Jack had a big heart and was ever ready to help his fellow man. Empty whiskey bottles, representing about one gallon of whiskey told the story.(22 April 1899, The Basalt Journal, p.1)

Return to Top


Another historical personage in the building of Eagle county answered the long roll call, when John Welsh, pioneer, miner, cattleman, business man, banker, foremost citizen and above all a devoted patriot, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C.L. HARTMAN, in Denver, early Friday morning, May 2, 1941.

To those who have lived in the county for many years, the name of John Welsh means something. For during his career of fifty years no affairs of importance in the county was decided until Mr. Welsh had been consulted.

While his influence was powerful, his native modesty kept his name from many actions fro the community good. Oftimes where his influence was greatest, the average citizen would not know of his connection with the affair.

Born of Joseph and Eliza Welsh at Now London, Province of Ontario, Canada, March 23, 1852, John Welsh celebrated his 89th birthday only a few weeks before his death. When he was eleven years old, his parents moved to Kalamazoo, Mich., taking their son with them.

There he completed in the common schools the education he had begun those of his native land, going to work at the trade of brick laying at the age of thirteen. His father was a carpenter and building contractor and died in 1878, his wife surviving him one year and passing away in 1879.

John worked at his trade in Kalamazoo until 1872, when he came west to Denver and worked at his trade there for a time. He went to Alma, in park county, in 1875, and became interested in mining for a time; he lived for a short time in Saguache county and then to Leadville. He mined, worked at his trade and freighted between Leadville and South park for a time. It was in 1881 that he finally moved to Red Cliff, then a part of Summit county, and established a dairy which he conducted for three years successfully, before moving down the Eagle valley and taking up a homestead, the beginning of one of the biggest cow outfits in Western Colorado. Here it was that he built up a fortune in the cattle business and became one of the most widely known personages in the state, in politics as well as business affairs.

It was in 1875 that he was married to Miss Mary SHIELDS, a native of Fulton County, Illinois. His bride joined him in his Colorado home, and was a constant source of encouragement and help to him until her death several years ago. Two children were born to the couple, Ursula, who died in infancy in1880, and Sallie R., still living and the wife of C.L. HARTMAN.

A life long Republican, he was a power in the party's affairs in the state as well as locally. Among his friends and associates he numbered all of the men prominent in the affairs of the state during its formative period from 1880 to 1910 - thirty years filled with many dramatic occurrences, in which Mr. Welsh was quietly in the midst. He took part in the election that made Colorado a state, and was proud of his part in that action. He was the first person ever to be named to a Republican national convention from Eagle county.

He retired from residence on the ranch in 1910, and moved to Eagle, building the home on Wall and Third streets now owned by T. E. Lewis. While turning the active management of the big cattle ranch over to his son-in-law, "Boz" Hartman, after moving to town, he maintained his interest in the ranch. He was a director I the First Nation Bank of Eagle county for many years, and of the Red Cliff State Bank, and in 1917 was elected president of the former bank, which position he maintained until in 1922, when he resigned.

During the World War he was director of the finance committee for Eagle county; he was a member of the Masonic lodge of Eagle, of the Knights Templar, Shrive, and attained the 32nd degree in Masonary.

Since retiring from active business affairs he divided his time between Denver and Eagle, the last two years poor hearth confining him almost entirely to his home. death came following months spent in bed, or sitting in a chair, and we can imagine John Welsh welcomed the summons from a life which had been full to overflowing, to that land where his beloved wife awaited him.

The Methodist church in Eagle was crowded Sunday afternoon to witness the last sad rites for the man who had been great in his day, and of whom many were proud to say, "John Welsh was my friend."

The funeral bier was banked high and the altar covered with beautiful floral testimonial of respect. Rev. CASSELMAN, of the local Methodist church, led the short church service, which was interspersed with songs by a ladies trio. The Masonic order had charge of the services, and owing to the hard rain which prevailed all Sunday, their burial service was read I the church. Following this service, despite the deplorable weather, scores of friends followed the body to the cemetery, where it was sorrowfully placed in the ground beside that of his beloved wife.

The deceased is survived by the daughter, Mrs. C. L. Hartman, Denver; and adopted daughter, Mrs. George W. WATSON, Eagle; four grandchildren, and one great grandchild.

Return to Top

WELCH, Mary Elizabeth

After an illness of nearly two months, Mrs. John Welsh passed away at the family residence in Eagle, during the early hours of last Saturday morning, surrounded by the deeply sorrowing and loving members of her family.

Mary Elizabeth SHIELDS was born in Illinois May 15, 1853. Her parents moved to Kansas soon after her birth and her childhood days were spent in Topeka, Kan. When yet a young girl, she accompanied her parents to Colorado, in 1871. Here she met John Welsh, and on May 19, 1875, they were united in marriage, and would have celebrated their golden wedding anniversary this spring had death spared her a few weeks more. In 1882, forty-three years ago, the couple moved to Eagle county and soon after settled on the ranch north, of Wolcott where they have lived most of the time since, retiring from the ranch and making a home for their declining years in Eagle some fifteen years ago. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Welsh, and the deceased is survived by the husband, two children, four grand children and a sister, the latter living in California.

In her many years in this county Mrs. Welsh was a leader in community affairs until the past few years when failing health prevented her from taking part in activities other than her immediate home affairs. She was highly respected and beloved by a wide circle of close friends, who join the family in mourning her death.

The funeral services were held from the family home in Eagle Monday morning attended by a large number of those who were friends of the deceased lady during her life, all places of business and the town schools closing during the funeral hours. The services were very simple, in keeping with the desires of the deceased. Reverend FLYNN, pastor of the Methodist church, read a favorite Psalm and one of the favorite poems of Tenyson's, while Mesdames Carl MAYER and Lulu JOHNSON sang two duets at the service at the house. At the grave the simple service of the Methodist church was read by Rev. Flynn, and the remains were sadly laid to their last resting place.

Return to Top

WELCH, Michael

Another 79er has crossed the great divide. On Friday last, at the Quartzite Hotel in Red Cliff occurred the death of Michael WELSH, after a lingering illness of about four months. The cause of the death was said to be tuberculosis of the lungs. Mr. WELSH was one of the pioneer miners of Leadville, Holy Cross and Battle Mountain Districts. Born in Donegal, Ireland he came to this country in the early 70's landing in New York City. He remained east but a short time from whence he came to Leadville, always a hard worker and of an economic disposition he accumulated quite a sum of money. M. J. FAHY, the proprietor of the Quartzite Hotel, married a niece of the deceased and he with the assistance of Mrs. FAY, cared for Mr. WELSH during his last illness.

Mr. WELSH leaves a brother in Donegal, Ireland and several nephews and nieces scattered throughout the middle west.

Funeral services were held in Leadville on Wednesday of this week the interment taking place there the same day. Mr. WELSH was of a retiring disposition but nevertheless he made many friends who will miss his quiet greetings.[8 April 1909, Eagle County Blade, p1]

Return to Top

WELSH, Richard

Richard WELSH died in Denver last Monday night of pneumonia. He went to Denver to spend the holidays, and was taken sick on Thursday of last week. They telephoned his brother John here that Dick was seriously ill and John left for Denver Friday evening and was with Dick when the end came.

Richard WELSH was 58 years old. He came from Kalamazoo, Mich. in 1878 settled in Leadville; in 1881 he moved to Red Cliff where he and his brother John operated a dairy. In 1884 he settled on a homestead north of Wolcott, which he proved up on. About 1888 he went to Montana, where he spent most of his time, until about two years ago he returned to Eagle and has been on his brother John's ranch.

The remains were laid to rest in Fairmount cemetery, Denver, on Thursday, Jan 6.[7 Jan. 1916, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

WENTZEL, Ethel May

One of the saddest of deaths occurred last Friday, when Mrs. Mark WENTZEL passed away at the hospital in Gilman following an operation performed in a vain hope of saving a most useful life. Mrs. WENTZEL was stricken at her home on the ranch four miles west of Eagle the day previous when she dropped unconscious while pursuing her home duties. Medical aid was summoned at once, and an examination revealed a serious condition. She was taken to the hospital where it was found she had a ruptured intestine, and there was little hope for her recovery, but the operation was performed as a last resort.

Mrs. WENTZEL was a splendid woman, a good mother to her large family of children, a real helpmeet to her husband, and a good neighbor. Her death will cause a gap in the family life that will never be filled.

Ethel May WISE, daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Lillie Louise WISE, was born March 28, 1888, at Leadville, Colo., and departed this life July 8, 1938, age 50 years, 3 months and 12 days.

In a grievous marriage tow children were born and her former husband passed away in 1912. These children were born and her former husband passed away in 1912. These children were but six and eight years of age when Bismark WENTZEL became their foster father.

Mr. and Mrs. WENTZEL have resided in Eagle county all through their married life, and well known by all the older settlers of the county. Mrs. WENTZEL was baptized and united with the M.E. church while she was just a girl.

She is survived by her husband, Bismark WENTZEL, and seven children, Mrs. C.J. BRANDON of Alma, Colo.; Mrs. Bailey DOSS of price, Utah; Eugene, Robert, Anna, William and Roy, of the home.

She is also survived by her mother, Mrs. I.L. WISE, of Sacramento, Calif., and three sisters and seven brothers, a [1sq] of Sacrament; one uncle, E.L. PEARCH, of Leadville; and five grand children.

Funeral services attended by a large concourse of old neighbors and friends, were held at the M.E. church in Eagle Sunday afternoon, when Rev. C.E. COPLEY, pastor of the church, delivered the discourse. During services a quartet, consisting of Mesdames, BEUCHAT, COX, Ben RICE, and CHRISTENSEN, accompanied at the piano by Mrs. N.E. BUCHHOLZ, and "Abide With Me," "Lead Kindly Light," and "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere." Following the church services the funeral cortege moved to Gypsum, where the body was laid to rest in Cedar Hill cemetery, the burial being in charge of Paul ANDRE, of the Andre Mortuary of Eagle.


Return to Top


Just before the Enterprise went to press, we received word from Los Angeles to the effect that A. B. WHALEY had died, passing away in a Los Angeles hospital Saturday night February 11.

He was stricken with pneumonia a few days previous, following which kidney troubles developed from which he died.

The body will be cremated in Los Angeles.

Mrs. WHALEY and her husband left Eagle early last fall to visit relatives in the east, later going to California to spend the winter and Mr. WHALEY had not been in good health since going to the coast. Mrs. WHALEY has the deepest sympathy in her sad bereavement.[17 Feb. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


L. B. WHEAT, better known locally as Judge WHEAT, died at his home at Leavenworth, Kansas, on May 20th. Judge WHEAT was interested in local mining property and had spent part of each year in Red Cliff for a number of years. He also had interests in Leadville where he spent part of his time.

He returned to his home last fall after the summer spent in Colorado, and his friends observed that the ravages of time were making fast inroads upon a rugged constitution. Judge WHEAT was 80 years old at the time of his death.

He was a native of New York state and in the early days of Kansas located in that state then the extreme frontier. He was a resident there and prominently identified with its affairs during its most lawless days. A lawyer by profession, Judge WHEAT took an active part in many of the official incidents that are historical in the growth of Kansas from a border territory known principally for its bad men, to its present orderly and peaceful state. During the days of Judge WHEAT'S activity, every citizen of Kansas who took any active public part in its affairs went constantly armed. In this connection the deceased had many interesting experiences and adventures.

He was a man of keen intellect and deep learning and had many friends locally who will learn of his death with exceeding regret.(28 May 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WHITE, David Goodwin

David Goodwin WHITE passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. LINN, at Arkansas City, Kan., Oct. 9. Dave WHITE came to Colorado in 1879, and to Gilman in 1886. A prospector and miner at heart, he visited every boom mining camp in the United States including Alaska. Gilman always remained his home, however, until three years ago, when he went to live with the daughter in Kansas. Besides the daughter, he is survived by a son, Glick, of Richmond, Calif. Harry WHITE, now of Gilman, and a son of Mrs. Ralph BELDING of Eagle, is a grand son of the deceased.

Return to Top

WHITE, Harvey


Another killing to be added to the long list in this county in the last two years, occurred in the Basalt precinct on Monday morning. George A. MORRISON, a prominent farmer owning what is known as the El Jebel ranch on the Roaring Fork, shot and instantly killed Harvey WHITE, a renter.

There were no witnesses to the tragedy, the two men being alone at the house occupied by WHITE about a mile and a half from the El Jebel ranch.

MORRISON, after the killing, informed neighbors, asking them to go and take charge of the body, then rode to his home and telephoned for an officer and gave himself up.

MORRISON's story is brief and as follows: He saddled his horse and rode up to where WHITE lived to see about a renewal of the lease, the old lease held by WHITE having expired. He carried a Marlin 30:30 rifle as is his custom, he claims in case he should see a coyote.

He and WHITE got into an heated altercation over business affairs in the latter's yard, and WHITE, with a threat that he would get his rifle and kill MORRISON and his whole family, went into the house and reappeared with the gun. There upon MORRISON shot him in self defense.

It reported that those who took charge of the body found a 22 caliber rifle beside the dead man.

It is stated that the house in which WHITE lived stands on un-patented land adjoining the ground he leased from MORRISON, and that the two men had been quarreling over possession of this land.

WHITE was a single man about 40 years old and his relatives live in Indiana. MORRISON is somewhat older, is well-to-do has a family and has always borne a good reputation.

The sheriff and coroner and district attorney are on the scene, and the inquest and preliminary will likely be held today.(14 January 1904, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WHITE, May Lillian

Mrs. B. M. WHITE Killed by Auto Turning Over. Among a people as closely allied as the Eagle community, the heavy hand of death falls with pain to all. Into our midst Tuesday came the shock and sadness of the passage Mrs. May Lillian WHITE, wife of B. M. WHITE, with a touch of sorrow that was almost individual.

Monday morning Mr. and Mrs. WHITE with several other people of Eagle went as far as State Bridge to meet the party of Indiana autoists and accompany them into town. On the return trip just on this side of Artego near LIVINGSTON'S ranch as Mr. WHITE was making one of the sharp curves in the way, the machine became unmanageable and shot over an embankment. In the car was Mr. and Mrs. WHITE and Mrs. H. L. TORREY. When he saw the machine was to be precipitated over the bank Mr. WHITE leaped upon the running board and made every effort to pull the ladies from the vehicle. His efforts were in vain and the large car perched a second upon the edge of the decline then toppled over with Mrs. TORREY and Mrs. WHITE standing and rolled down the steep hill, entirely over both ladies.

Mrs. TORREY sustained severe bruises and a heavy nervous shock that confined her to her bed since. For two days her life was dispaired of, but she is now convalescing.

Mrs. WHITE was picked up, conscious but severely injured. At first it was thought by her physicians that her injuries were not fatal and hope was raised that she would soon be up. But Tuesday morning her condition became worse and she could not be revived from the second sinking spell, dying at 10:30 a.m.

A short service was held at the WHITE home Wednesday evening at six-thirty where Rev. H. L. GLOVER spoke a few appropriate words to the friends gathered in token of their tenderest and high regard for Mrs. WHITE. At nine o'clock in a mute gathering of almost every man and woman in Eagle Mrs. WHITE'S body was placed upon No. 1, stopped by special request to be shipped to Salt Lake City for interment Thursday evening.

Mrs. May Lillian BILLINGS WHITE was born at Salt Lake City, Utah, May 6, 1880, where nine years ago she married Mr. B. M. WHITE. They moved to Eagle, Colo. two years later and have made this place their home since. Mrs. WHITE was the mother of two children; Emma three and Morton six years of age.

It is not necessary granting it were possible for us to do so, to give a delineation of Mrs. WHITE'S high social and amicable standing in our midst. The pall of gloom that spread itself over the town at the word of her death, the open hearted extension of sympathy and help to the bereaved family and the hushed group of friends at the station Wednesday night to bid a tearful and silent farewell to the moral remains of their friend and close associate, speak more eloquently than words, what place Mrs. WHITE filled by a loving friend and a close thoughtful neighbor, is empty and the sorrow and mourning of a whole town and community bear witness that her memory is sacred to the people of Eagle.

To the sorrowing husband and family a few spoken words or the pressure of the sympathetic had cannot assuage the great feeling of loss; yet in unison with the wave of feeling of all who knew Mrs. WHITE the editor of the Enterprise join in condolence and fraternal expressions of sorrow.[18 July 1913, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


LaVeta Whittaker of Eagle passed away on March 6, following a lengthy illness and a stay at the Larchwood Inn in Grand Junction.

LaVeta was born Feb. 8, 1910 to William J. and Mattie Yost Randall in a dirt roofed, log cabin on the old "White Ranch" about a mile south of Eagle on Brush Creek. She spent her childhood and young adulthood on the ranch and in Eagle with her two brothers and one sister.

Since she and Rolland and Mick spent all their lives in or near Eagle, they always had many stories to tell about Eagle, the old buildings and the old timers who had lived there.

LaVeta graduated from Eagle High School May 24,1928.

She was married to J. Gordon Whittaker, a local rancher, on Oct. 14, 1928 in Eagle. They lived on the original Whittaker Ranch on Brush Creek until moving on down Brush Creek in 1937. They bought the ranch that is presently the Moesher Ranch to be near the school for their two sons and daughters, Bill, Jack, Mary Ann and Jo Ann. Jerry was born in 1942, adding another son to the family. They lived on that ranch until 1947 when they sold it and moved back up to the "homestead" on Brush Creek. They were involved for many years in farming and raising cattle and sheep.

LaVeta was always involved in the community. She and Ruby Robidoux started the first hot lunch program for students in the Gypsum schools, cooking meals on an old wood stove.

LaVeta was an active member and past president of the Modern Homemakers Home Demonstration Club on Brush Creek. She also worked very hard in getting Blue Cross - Blue Shield group insurance for the Brush Creek Community. LaVeta was a member of Eagle Chapter #86, Order of the Eastern Star. She was a past Worthy Matron of the Eagle Chapter and was a Colorado State Chapter Grand Page. She was a member of the Eagle chapter for over 60 years.

Because of their ranching operation, she and Gordon moved each winter to where their sheep could winter pasture. Several of those years she spent in Fruita. LaVeta was a member of the Fruita United Methodist Church and an Honorary member of Carnation Chapter #70, Order of the Eastern Star. LaVeta enjoyed her years in the Fruita community and made many friends there

LaVeta always loved and enjoyed children. She was a foster grandparent and helped in the reading program at Eagle Elementary School while she was living in the Eagle Senior Center during her retirement years. When her five children were growing up she was "Mom" to many teenage boys and girls. LaVeta was Mother Advisor of Rainbow for Girls in both Eagle and Fruita devoting much love to her teenagers.

May there always be a rainbow to guide her on her way to peace , happiness, and contentment with her husband of over 52 years, Gordon Whittaker, who passed away Jan. 25, 1981. She was preceded in death by her parents, Mattie and Will Randall, her brother Mick Randall and one grandson, Steven Whittaker.

She is survived by her five children, William V. Whittaker (Fran) of Green Valley, AZ., Jack G. Whittaker (Rosy) of Aurora, CO., Mary Ann Carter (Joe), Jo Ann Potter (Dewaine), and Jerry E. Whittaker (Candy) all of Grand Junction. She is also survived by one brother, Rolland Randall of Eagle; one sister, Virginia Cooper of Glenwood Springs; and two sisters-in-law, Agnes Randall of Laramie, Wyo., and Eileen Randall of Eagle. LaVeta also leaves behind 14 grandchildren, twenty two great-grandchildren, numerous nieces and nephews, cousins, and many friends.

Memorial services were held this past Saturday, March 11 at the Eagle Masonic Temple. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Arthritis Foundation, Rocky Mountain Chapter, 2280 S. Albion St., Denver, CO. 80222-4906

The Eagle Valley Enterprise, Thursday, March 16, 2000, p. 14

Return to Top


John WIGNAIL, formerly a resident of Red Cliff and quite well known throughout the county, died at his home in Leadville, on last Sunday of pneumonia, aged 56 years. Red Cliff friends of the deceased heard of his illness only the day before his demise, so it is presumed his death was quite sudden. The funeral occurred at Leadville on Tuesday under the auspices of the Masonic fraternity. The deceased was a native of England, and during his life time had been an extensive traveler, having visited nearly every country on the globe. He followed mining and prospecting for a livelihood, and for several years has been interested in mining property on East Lake creek, in this county. The deceased leaves a wife but no children.(17 Jan 1901, Eagle County Blade, p. 2)

Return to Top

WILEY, Carrie E.

Mrs. Geo. S. WILKINSON received the very sad news Tuesday morning of the death of her sister, Mrs. W. J. WILEY, at her home in Syracuse, Kan. Mrs. WILEY had been in poor health for some time, and doubt of her recovery from the illness has been felt for many weeks, so that the announcement of her death was not surprising to members of the family, though this fact makes her loss none the less keenly felt.

Carrie E. MCKINZIE was born at Saranac Lake, N. Y., February 29, 1876, died at Syracuse, Kan., March 1, 1927. In 1885 she accompanied her parents to Eagle county, Colorado, their home then being on the ranch two miles east of Eagle, now known as the Red Mountain ranch owned by C. F. LLOYD. She grew to womanhood in this vicinity, where she met and married Dr. W. J. WILEY.

The deceased woman is survived by the husband; her father, A. D. MCKINZIE, of Grand Junction; two sisters, Mrs. Geo. S. WILKINSON of Eagle, and Mrs. Agnes MOSER of Little Rock, Ark.

The body was sent back to Eagle for burial, arriving here Wednesday night. Funeral services were delayed until Friday morning at 10:00 o'clock, awaiting the arrival of Mrs. MOSER from her Arkansas home, and will be held from the Montgomery hotel in this city.[4 May 1927, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Clarence WILKINSON succumbs to Scarlet Fever

Clarence WILINSON, the 17 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. George S. WILKINSON, of Brush creek, near Eagle, died last Saturday of scarlet fever. At the time of the young man's death, his sister, Miss Edna, two years his junior, was also in a very precarious condition from the same disease. While yet seriously ill, there is great hope of her ultimate recovery.

The young man's untimely death is a great shock to his parents and other relatives, as well as many friends. Mrs. WILKINSON was in a serious condition for some time following her son's death, and is inconsolable. The family, of course, was and is under close quarantine and the funeral of Clarence, which was private, was held last Sunday.

Miss Edna WILKINSON was first stricken with the disease, which attack occurred soon after her return from a recent trip with her father to Denver. There being no other cases in the neighborhood it is believed she became exposed to the disease either in Denver or on the train en route. So far no other cases have developed in the neighborhood and every precaution is being taken.

Mr. and Mrs. WILKINSON are old residents of the county and the death of their only son, just as he was developing into manhood, is a severe affliction, in which they have the sympathy of a large circle of friends. (21 Feb 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


George S. WILKINSON, Forty-Nine Years a Resident of Eagle County Called By Death.

No death has been taken with greater sorrow and regret in this community than of George S. WILKINSON, who passed away at a Glenwood Springs hospital Wednesday afternoon, July 3, 1929.

Almost the first settler in the Brush creek valley, Geo. WILKINSON through forty-nine years of the ups and downs incident to the growth of a new country, had made for himself a place in the hearts of his neighbors that was most enviable. Enemies he hay have made, but no man or woman could or would say ought against the honest manhood of George WILKINSON. A neighbor beyond compare, always willing to do good where the doing was called for, unassuming, taking his own good deeds as matters of fact ad of no moment, he had left behind scores of beneficiaries who will always regret his passing.

The old, old story of a youth leaving his parental roof tree and starting out in life for himself, armed with nothing but his determined spirit, native ability, and what little education he had been able to snatch from a few brief terms of attendance at one of our early day country schools, and seeking his fortune in the wilderness of our vast unsettled domain, braving the dangers and enduring the hardships of an overland journey in the wake of a setting sun into the wilderness, then bravely entering upon the work of clearing that for his purposes, and while drawing out its venom, extorting benefit from the vanquished enemy, making its mischievous torrents drudge for him, its wild beasts useful for food or dress, or labor, its stubborn forces and rocks into habitation, and then from a small beginning building up a comfortable estate and bringing the unproved and hitherto unoccupied landscape into attractiveness and fruitfulness as a comfortable home, is repeated and well illustrated in the memoir of George Summer WILKINSON, who started to make his own living at the age of nine years, and had ever since done so.

He was born near Hiawatha, Brown county, Kan., on August 24 1863, the son of Balsaam and Mary COIL WILKINSON, natives of Indiana, who were among the early settlers of eastern Kansas where they farmed and raised stock to the end of their lives, the father dying there in 1864, and the mother in 1873.

George left home in 1877, when he was but fourteen years old, and came to Colorado, finding employment for that summer on the ranch of William BROWN at Florissant, Teller county. His journey to this state was made overland with horses and wagons through Ellsworth, Kan., to Colorado Springs then through Ute Pass to Breckinridge, where the teams and wagons were disposed of. The trip lasted twenty-seven days, but the train encountered no hostile Indians and the jaunt was uneventful. In the summer of 1878 Mr. WILKINSON worked for wages in the placer mines, and in the fall moved to park county. Afterwards he spent three months in the employ of the Borden Brothers who conducted a feed stable on the road between Weston and Leadville, his duty being to sell feed.

He next returned to Park county and devoted the summer of 1880 to logging and sawmilling, where he became acquainted with John LOVE, a stockman of Park county, and another young man, Webb FROST. In the fall he and FROST engaged with John LOVE, who had been scouting the western slope for a location for his livestock business and selected the Brush creek valley, to drive the latter's herd of cattle across the range to Brush creek and care for them that winter. The two young men arrived at their destination in November in the midst of a big snow storm. They took shelter in a cabin on the original LOVE holdings in the valley, and turned the cattle loose to shift for themselves. As a commentary on the changed conditions in 49 years, it is well to note that, while they never saw the cattle again until the next spring, when they gathered them from the Brush creek along the Eagle river, scattered from the mouth of Brush creek to Dotsero, with the loss of only one head which and been drowned in the river.

Mr. WILKINSON soon afterward took up his homestead, now the James E. ULIMANN home, which he afterward sold to R. P. WOOD, and later bought the land where his present fine ranch home is located.

He had been a cow man all his life to the end, and until this summer rode the range with the youngest and best riders and gave his fine herd of well bred range cattle his careful and personal attention. He loved cows and the range life. Wherever cow men met in Western Colorado, George WILKINSON was known, and his calm sure advice sought on all matters respecting the range. He has been president of the Eagle Valley Stockgrowers association for the past seven years, was a member of the Western Slope Cattle Growers, and the Colorado Stockgrowers associations.

On May 9 1889, he was married to Miss Minnie McKENZIE, a native of New York state. To this union were born two children, Clarence Edmund and Edna Lillian. The son passed on several years ago, while the widow and daughter, now Mrs. Moulton CHAMBERS, and a half brother, Henry BEMIS are the only surviving relatives of close kin.

Funeral services were held Friday afternoon from the home of the daughter, Mrs. CHAMBERS, in Eagle, Revere d Mr. YOUNG, pastor of the Glenwood Springs Presbyterian church delivered a short but eloquent eulogy to the deceased, while, the burial services were in charge of the local Masonic lodge, of which Mr. WILKINSON had long been a member. The body was followed to the cemetery by great concourse of friends from all parts of the county, where it was sorrowfully laid to rest beside that of his beloved son.[5 July 1929, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Marie A. WILLIAMS of Grand Junction Died Thursday, Jan. 2 at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction from complications following surgery.

Marie was born May 24, 1915, the daughter of Edward Julius and Ethel Mary FOLEY RUDER.

She was raised along with her three sisters and a brother in the Gore Valley and Minturn. She graduated from Minturn High School.

Mrs. WILLIAMS and her husband David, were former owners of the Williams Cafe, located where Chili Willy's now does business. In addition, they owned a liquor store and motel in the building now known as Two Elk Gallery, also in Minturn.

She was preceded in death by her husband and sisters Pinky (Pauline), Alice, Vivian and her brother Edward (Buddy). She is survived by numerous nieces and nephews.

An active member in the Catholic Church for many years, Marie also enjoyed reading and shopping as well as being with her family and friends. She enjoyed her home and the beauty of her rose bushes while living in Grand Junction.

Cremation has already taken place and a memorial service will be held in the spring and her ashes buried alongside her husband in the Riverview Cemetery. She will be sadly missed by friends and family. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 16 Jan 1997)

Return to Top


Newton WILLIAMS a ranchman who was attempting to board eastbound passenger No. 6 Sunday night at Wolcott fell and was dragged several hundred feet killing him almost instantly. WILLIAMS lives in Toponas and it is believed his parents live at Calhoun, Missouri.

The unfortunate young man was a brother of Miss Inez WILLIAMS, teacher of the Gore creek school. At the time of his death he was en route to William WEBB's ranch on Gore creek, having been engaged by Mr. WEBB to take charge of the place during his absence. Coroner FARNUM was called to the scene and took charge of the body, later turning it over to the sister of the deceased as stated by our Minturn correspondent.(22 Jan 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WILLIAMS, Rose (Mary Louise)

Rose WILLIAMS (Mary Louise) passed away Wednesday, Nov. 13 at Valley View Hospital in Glenwood Springs.

She was born April 23, 1922, in Springfield, Mo. She was preceded in death by her husband, Roy O. WILLIAMS. She is survived by three adult children: Patrick CAMPBELL of New Orleans, La., Pamela EHRENBERG of Eagle, and William BOOTWEEL of Morrison, Colo. She is also survived by seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

A funeral service is set for tomorrow, Nov. 15 a 1 p.m. at the Eagle Community United Methodist Church, 138 Howard St., Eagle.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Crippled Children Fund of the El Jebel Shrine Hospital in Denver. Interment will be at the Eagle cemetery following the service.(14 Nov 1996, Eagle Valley Enterprise.)

Return to Top


Mrs. Clara WILLIAMSON, an old resident of the county, died suddenly at Red Cliff on last Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Williamson was in her 71st year, but considering her age, had been in fairly good health up to a short time before her death. The old lady lived alone on Nob hill and for a few days before her death had been confined to the house by illness. Mrs. J. E. DUNN, one of the neighbors, called on Mrs. WILLIAMSON on Saturday afternoon and while there provided her with a meal which the old lady ate with apparent relish while setting up in bed. Later Mrs. DUNN was called to her own house, having absent about half an hour. On her return Mrs. WILLIAMSON was dead, having to all appearance passed peacefully away.

Deceased was a pioneer of the county. With her husband, the late Robert WILLIAMSON, she was one of the first settlers at Gold Park during its prosperous days, where the couple conducted a hotel. Later they removed to Red Cliff. Mrs. WILLIAMSON had no relatives in this part of the country, and none were present at her demise or funeral. It is said she has a brother residing somewhere in California, and also other relatives in the east. When yet a child her parents removed to what is not Chicago, then Fort Dearborn. Her father was at one time very well to do in Chicago having conducted a large hotel in that city. During young womanhood Mrs. WILLIAMSON was a school teacher and possessed considerable education. Hers was an eventful, though in some respects, pathetic career. Much of her life was spent on the frontier. She was greatly attached to Red Cliff and its people and had often expressed the wish to end her day her. She was a firm believer in Christianity and no doubt her faith was a source of great comfort to her in her many days of adversity and trials. During her declining years, which were in her widowhood and loneliness, she was also reduced to straightened circumstances. A generous community did not allow her to want, however, and she was provided with a snug home and many comforts, being independent of assistance to the limit of her strength. Through all her adversity shown her sunny temperament, and her cheery greeting, though no longer to be heard, will not soon be forgotten in Red Cliff.

The funeral occurred on Monday afternoon at the congregational church, Rev. MARTIN delivering a very appropriate address. Native wild flowers were bestowed in abundance about the casket, gathered in most part by the children of whom the deceased was very fond and who were all her friends. The interment followed at Greenwood cemetery.(11 July 1901, Eagle County Blade, p.3)

Return to Top


Death of Grandma WILLITS
Mrs. Mary C. WILLITS, better known as Grandma Willits, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. CLARK, of Basalt, on Monday morning, April 27, 1908, aged 80 years. Mrs. WILLITS had been declining rapidly for about six weeks, her death being attributed mainly to old age.

The deceased was the mother of County Commissioner Lee R. WILLITS, who was absent from Basalt in another part of the county at the time of her death. Mrs. WILLITS was highly respected in her home and was a Christian woman of high character. The funeral and interment occurred at Basalt.(30 April 1908, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top


The community was shocked on Tuesday to learn of the accidental death of S. D. W8ILMOT, a prominent citizen of the county and farmer residing in the Sheephorn country, which occurred that day.

No details of the unfortunate occurrence have been received in Red Cliff excepting that Mr. WILMOT was engaged in stacking hay when the derrick broke and fell on him, causing his death.

Undertaker GRAHAM f Red Cliff was summoned by telephone and went to the scene Tuesday night and took charge of the remains.

The funeral will be held this morning at 10 o'clock at Eagle , under the auspices of the Woodmen of the World, of which society Mr. WILMOT was a member. Deceased was also a member of the Masonic lodge of Minturn. Mrs. WILMOT and two little daughters are the immediate relatives surviving him.

Mr. WILMOT was an exemplary and progressive citizen, and this untimely death is a great shock to many friends in this county.(11 Aug 1904, Eagle County Blade, p. 1)

Return to Top

WILSON, Clinton

Three Year Old Child Drowned in Eagle River. Missing from Home in Minturn Since Last Saturday. Thorough Search Has Failed to Find the Body.
Mr. and Mrs. W. L. WILSON, of Minturn, are greatly bereaved over the mysterious loss of their three-year-old son, Clinton, who disappeared from home last Saturday evening and of whom no trace had been found up to the time of the Enterprise going to press Thursday evening.

The little fellow was last seen playing near the Eagle river, which flows past the rear of the WILSON home in Minturn, and from this it is surmised that he fell into the stream and was drowned. It was about six o'clock in the evening when the child was missed, and when a search of the home and neighboring premised failed to reveal him, his mother gave the alarm and a general search for the baby was instituted. The drowning theory was at once advanced, and the Eagle river was dragged for five miles below the town that night, without finding the body.

A search of the river has been kept up all week, with men posted on bridges and other prominent places along the stream keeping a constant lookout for a floating body. If the child did fall in the stream, the body had evidently been caught on some object and held there so that it does not come to the surface. An investigation has dispelled the kidnapping theory, as there had been on one seen about the WILSON home or the town who would possibly commit such an act but who has been accounted for, and the child had not been out of his sight long enough to have wandered far into the surrounding hills, so that the child was swallowed up in the swift waters of the Eagle river and drowned is almost sure.

The bereaved parents are grief stricken and almost inconsolable over their loss, the uncertainty of his death adding to their anxiety, while the possibility that he may not be lost, but wandering and lost or may have been stolen, makes their nervous strain terrible to bear. Mr. WILSON is an engineer on the D. & R. G. railroad, working out of Minturn, and one of the most popular employees of the company at Minturn. The parents are well known over the county and their many friends sympathize with them in their grief.[4 July 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]<

Return to Top

WIMER, Franklin S.

Man faces charges in fatal accident
VAIL - Colorado State Patrol officers Sunday identified the victim of a two-car Vail Pass accident this weekend as Franklin S. WIMER of Vail.

And a 21-year-old Evergreen man is now facing a vehicular homicide charge stemming from the collision.

WIMER was driving a white Ford Explorer westbound on Interstate 70 Saturday at 3:40 p.m., when a westbound black Jeep Cherokee driven by Don MENSENDICK, 21, changed lanes and collided with the rear right side of the Ford, State Trooper Brad RHODES said.

"Apparently there was one or more slow-moving semis in the right lane, so people were moving into the left lane to go around those," RHODES said.

MENSENDICK was speeding and driving recklessly on clear roads, RHODES said, when his car impacted the Explorer.

"That set both vehicles into a counter-clockwise spin, and they both went off the left side of the road," RHODES said.

MENSENDICK's Cherokee rolled partially and came to rest in the center median near mile marker 182. Wimer's Explorer rolled three-and-a -half times and rested, upside down, in the eastbound lanes of Vail Pass. His wife, Joyce WIMER, was a passenger in the car.

Vail firefighters extricated the WIMERS from their vehicle, and all three people were taken to the Vail Valley Medical Center. MENSENDICK was treated for minor injuries and released, but Franklin WIMER, 63, was pronounced dead at the scene from internal injuries. Joyce WIMER, 63, remains in the Vail Valley Medical Center in serious condition with bone fractures, cuts and abrasions.

In addition to a vehicular homicide charge, MENSENDICK is facing charges of vehicular assault and reckless driving, RHODES said. MENSENDICK, a delivery driver, has bonded out of the Eagle County Detention Center.

Unlike a Friday evening accident on U.S. Highway 6 near Wolcott - in which 30-year-old Maria LANDEROS, of Eagle, was killed - there was no evidence that MENSENDICK was driving under the influence of alcohol, RHODES said.

"Two vehicular homicides in two days - it's not good at all," Rhodes said.

The Vail Dispatch Center had received a cellular phone call eight minutes before Saturday's accident from a driver reporting MENSENDICK'S alleged reckless driving at mile marker 191, RHODES said. But because of a lack of information regarding the direction the driver was headed, he said, police had not yet made their way to Vail Pass to investigate when reports of the collision surfaced at 3:40 p.m.

(Vail Daily, 21 June 1999)

Return to Top

WINCHELL, Baby girl - Emma

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard WINCHELL, of Red Cliff, died last Wednesday, September 25th. The funeral was held last Friday from the residence.(3 Oct 1907, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WINTON, Julius

Mr. Julius WINTON died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mack FLECK, of Avon, on January 17the, 1906. The funeral services were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. FLECK on January 20the, with interment at Edwards cemetery, Rev. WELSH, of Eagle, conducted the services.

Mr. WINTON was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, September 29the, 1833, and was hence 72 years, three months and 19 days of age at the time of his death. Mr. Julius WINTON and Miss Louisa BURBRIDGE were married at Wadans Grove, Stevens county, Illinois, February 14the, 1854. They removed from Illinois to Wisconsin. While in Wisconsin the deceased engaged in the lumber business and also followed his trade which was that of stone mason, and plasterer. They moved from Wisconsin to Kansas and settled on the extreme frontier at Cawker City, Mitchell county, and while there passed through many of the hardships incident to all settlers in a new country. While there he homesteaded 160 acres of land which he finally disposed of and removed to St. Joseph, Missouri. At St. Joseph he engaged in the mercantile business for a number of years. Becoming dissatisfied he moved to this state and resided in Eagle county the last five years. While here the aged couple celebrated their Golden wedding. Mr. WINTON leaves a widow and seven children - five sons and two daughters to mourn his loss.

D. J. G. GILPIN attended Mr. WINTON through his illness and was almost constantly at his bedside, although he told the family from the beginning that there was but little hope of recovery. The cause of death was grip and pneumonia. (25 Jan 1906, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WOLF, Mrs. Jas.

The influenza seems to take particularly heavy toll in some families though the members are widely separated. Mrs. Jas. WOLF, her son Fred and wife, and her daughter, Mrs. G. W. WORTMAN, all residents of Red Cliff until late last fall, have all died of the dread plague. Fred WOLF and wife died at Leadville some weeks ago, Mrs. WOLF died at Pueblo the past week and Mrs. WORTMAN died Monday in Pueblo. The latter leaves three little children, and the father is not expected to survive an attack of the disease.{3 Jan. 1919, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Louisa Ann WOLVERTON was born at Cochranton, Pa., May 30, 1852; and was married to Cyrus S. WOLVERTON, February 5, 1874. Immediately following her marriage she came with her husband to Kansas, being one of the earlier pioneers of that state in the days when it was regarded as the western frontier of civilization. She remained there for seven years, when she moved back to Waynesville, Mo. After twenty years in that place, in 1901, she came with her husband to Eagle county, where she has since resided, departing this life after a long illness and a brave struggle to recover, Tuesday, November 16, 1920, at 5 o'clock a.m.

She is survived by five children, W. B. and Guy and Mrs. H. P. OLESON of Eagle, and Mrs. M. P. OLESON and Ralph of Runnymede, Calif., and her husband having preceded her in death January 17, 1908, and an infant daughter, Nellie, December 18, 1894. In the last moments, as her soul was slipping away the beautiful words "mother, baby" fell from her lips testifying to our hearts that she had caught her first glimpse of the heavenly home and the loved ones over there. The last audible testimony was "Lord be merciful, I'm near the cross"

She was converted and united with the church about 1880. Her children look back with sweetest memories of a consistent Christian mother who died as she had lived, triumphant in the faith. A multitude of friends and neighbors who were the constant objects of her prayers feel an irreparable loss in the departure of this true servant of God. The church and her pastor have lost a tried and true friend and a loyal supporter.

The funeral services were held at the M. E. church in Eagle Wednesday afternoon where a very large number of sorrowing friends listened to the splendid tribute to the life of this noble woman delivered by her pastor, Reverend Mr. HONNOLD, and paid their last farewell. The burial services were in charge of Mortician BURDGE, and the mortal remains were lovingly laid to their last resting place in the Eagle cemetery.[19 Nov. 1920, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p8]

Return to Top

WOOD, Lucy Putman

Lucy Putman WOOD was born in Charleston, NH, on July 17, 1850.

One of the really true pioneers of this section of Colorado, she accompanied her husband to Bell's Camp on Battle Mountain during the early days of that district in 1893, when the present town of Eagle was known as McDonald. The home built in Eagle by her husband was one of the early fine homes of the town. The cement house block house standing on the corner of Broadway and Third streets was built by Mr. WOOD in 1908.

Two sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. WOOD, Charles and Harry. Charles died in 1905, while Harry is now living in Glenwood Springs, and it was at his home that she passed away June 30, 1943.

Mrs. WOOD, a fine scholar, was respected by many people. She resided in Eagle until a few months ago, when she moved to Glenwood and lived in the home of her son, Harry.

During her fifty years of residence in this community she saw many changes take place. It is with sorrow that the many life long friends of this 93 year old lady paid their last respects on Saturday, July 3, when the burial took place.

Funeral services were held from the Methodist church in Eagle, with the final rites of the Eastern Star being held at the Eagle cemetery. Pall bearers were Wm. J. RANDALL, J. D. ALLEN, H. K. BROOKS, Herman STEIN, T. E. LEWIS, William H. LUBY.( 9 July 1943, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p.1)

Return to Top

WOOD, Paul

Ends Own Life.
Paul WOOD committed suicide at Red Cliff Wednesday by hanging himself. Paul WOOD has been associated with his father, Tom WOOD, in the teaming business in Red Cliff for many years, and was a young man highly esteemed by his acquaintances. He has been in very poor health for several years, and despondency on this account is ascribed the reason for the act.

Funeral will be held in Leadville, where the deceased lived and married before going to Red Cliff about twelve years ago.[28 Dec. 1928, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Last Sunday at his home on Third and Broadway occurred the death of R. P. WOOD, one of the early settlers in Eagle county and a resident of Eagle for the past fourteen years.

Mr. WOOD has been suffering from heart trouble for the past several years, to which disease he succumbed last Sunday.

He was born in Canada, July, 1850. He was married to Miss Lucy TUTMAN April 6, 1874. He came to Colorado in 1893 locating at Red Cliff in the Battle mountain district, where he became interested in mining and at which place he took out several thousand dollars leasing. He came to Eagle about fourteen years ago and located on a ranch just across the river from the town of Eagle, where he has resided until about five years ago, when he built a residence in town.

He is survived by a wife and one son, Harry, who is attending school at Boonville, Missouri.

The remains were buried from the Methodist Episcopal church Tuesday afternoon, Rev. D. A. BASHAM having charge of the services. Masonic burial services were held at the cemetery, Mr. WOOD being a member of that organization.

The News joins with their many friends in extending their sympathy to the relatives of the deceased.[10 Oct. 1913, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top


Mrs. J.I. May of Cardiff, received word last Sunday that her niece, Miss Inez Woodruff, had died at St. Luke's hospital in Denver. Mr. and Mrs. May left that evening to be present at the funeral.
Basalt Journal, Basalt (Eagle County), Colorado, Sep. 1, 1906, page 1 - contributed 2009 by Pat McArthur

Return to Top

WOODS, Kenton Lynn

Kenton Lynn WOODS, son of Emil and Roberta WOODS of Eagle died Wednesday, July 27th at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction. He was 35 years old.

Kenton was born June 21, 1959 in Grand Junction. He attended Trinidad, Colo., and graduated from Eagle Valley High School in 1977. Friends remember him as an affable fellow who focused intently on his particular interests. He loved fly tying and fishing, and enjoyed delving into the scientific aspects of insects in his college studies. Kenton attended Mesa State College in Grand Junction, where he was very much involved with the music department.

Singing was one of Kenton's greatest pleasures, and he had fine baritone voice. He often sang while performing chores such as mowing lawns. Family members recall that he had a habit of singing opera in the shower - the arias ended only when the hot water tank was emptied.

Kenton died following complications related to a kidney transplant. He will be sadly missed and long remembered by all who knew and loved him.

Survivors include his parents; two sisters, Colleen WOODS of Grand Junction and Elaine HILL of Lincoln, Neb.; a brother and sister-in-law, Edward and Linda WOODS of Merrian, Kan.; a nephew, Chris WOODS of Kansas, and numerous aunts and uncles.

Funeral services were held Saturday at the Eagle Community United Methodist Church. Rev. Phil Green officiated. A contingent of local State Patrolmen acted as pallbearer. Memorial contributions may be made to the Dialysis Department, c/o St. Mary's Hospital, 2635 North 7th Street, Grand Junction, Colo., 81501. (Eagle Valley Enterprise 8/4/94)

Return to Top

WOODS, William L.

William L. WOODS, an old resident of the county, died at Minturn on October 27. Mr. WOODS, a number of weeks before his death, had been up on Beaver creek where he was attacked by a large nest of yellow jackets. In endeavoring to fight off the pest he used his hat which exposed his head to their stings. He was stung a number of times on the head, but did not consider his injuries serious.

Later, however, he became ill and went to Minturn and placed himself under the care of Dr. WARREN, but did not inform the doctor of the stinging. Later Dr. GREENE, of Eagle, was called, but the man gradually sank and died a week ago Tuesday. He had not been in rugged health for some time, but the immediate cause of death was blood poisoning resulting from the bee stings.

Deceased was 49 years of age and leaves a widow. Interment was at Edwards cemetery.(5 November 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.8)

Return to Top


Ground to Death Under Wheels of D. & R. G. Freight.
Jas. WOOTEN of Walsenburg fell from an east bound freight train near Rex in the Eagle river canon early Sunday morning and was ground to death under the wheels of the train.Sheriff ACKLEY was notified, and failing to get the coroner, he gathered up the remains and had them taken to Red Cliff where they were prepared for shipment to Walsenburg at the Graham mortuary.

WOOTEN was 35 years of age, and leaves a wife and two sons, the latter 9 and 12 years old.[25 Nov. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top



One New Year's eve, between 8 and 9 o'clock, Natale MOLINARO, an Italian, better known as "Nick," shot and mortally wounded Dan WRIGHT, at Minturn.

WRIGHT was in the "Mint" saloon in an almost helpless state of intoxication when MOLINARO entered. During the past summer WRIGHT was cranesman on the steam shovel, knew all the Italians, and , it is said, had had some trouble with them. At any rate, his attention was directed to "Nick" by the latter's entrance into the place, and he threatened who whip the Italian. The two men, with two or three others, had met in front of the bar, and WRIGHT was easily pacified temporarily, but soon again addressed the Italian asking him if he wanted to fight. WRIGHT was partly leaning on the bar and the Italian replied that he would fight him, at the same time taking WRIGHT by one arm with his left hand and turning him face about shot him through the body with a revolver held in the other hand. The bystanders had had no time to interfere and were horror stricken at the tragedy. The Italian, keeping the crowd covered with his gun, backed out of the place. WRIGHT was assisted to a chair and Dr. COFFMAN sent for. He was found to be mortally wounded through the body.

As fast as the news or the tragedy spread throughout the town citizens armed themselves and the hunt for MOLINARO begun.

The sheriff's office was notified by telephone and the officers informed that a lynching was imminent should the Italian be found. It was ascertained that there would be no train west over the road for several hours, and Sheriff FARNUM and Under Sheriff NIMS at once set out on foot for the scene by way of the railroad track, with the hope of intercepting the murderer had he escaped from Minturn and be headed this way. Three miles east of Minturn an armed posse of five men looking for the Italian were met, who reported that he had not yet been captured.

Arriving at Minturn the officers were quietly informed that MOLINARO had been apprehended and was being guarded at a private house awaiting their arrival. It was apparent that trouble would follow did the capture become generally known, as the citizens were much incensed and lynching was freely threatened.

County Commissioner Mack FLECK, former sheriff, and Engineer George BUFFHRE, made the capture, and to the nerve and fact of these gentlemen is due the successful manner in which the case was handled. Olof WOHL, being unarmed and without a coat, saw MOLINARO crossing the wagon bridge across Eagle river, and Mr. FLECK, being the first man he met, was informed of the direction taken by the fugitive. Mr. FLECK at once armed himself and started in pursuit, Mr. BUFFHRE, who was unarmed, having watched the direction taken by the retreating form. The Italian was overtaken standing in the shadow of a house near his own cabin, and Mr. FLECK soon had him covered while Mr. BUFFHRE relieved him of his arsenal, a 41 caliber revolver and a belt of about fifty cartridges. MOLINARO was at once taken to the residence of Justice MAYNARD. Mr. FLECK guarded him while Mr. BUFFHRE secured the assistance of Constable Charles TERRILL. A complaint charging assault with intent to kill was filed, and defendant arrested and allowed to plead. He pleaded not guilty and was held without bail.

C. G. MILLER was engaged to furnish a rig, and Sheriff FARNUM and Under Sheriff NIMS soon quietly took charge of the prisoner and with Mr. MILLER as driver made the trip safely to Red Cliff with MOLINARO and placed him behind the bars before daylight.

WRIGHT lingered until nearly noon the next day when he died. MOLINARO was re-arrested on a warrant charging murder, issued by Justice FARNUM of Red Cliff. He pleaded not guilty and waived preliminary hearing and is held to the District court without bail.

Coroner W. H. FARNUM held an inquest on the body of WRIGHT at Minturn on Saturday. Four eye witnesses of the shooting testified substantially as detailed above, and the jury found that Dan WRIGHT came to his death from a gun shot wound inflicted by a revolver held in the hands of Natale MOLINARO. WRIGHT's correct given name is believed to be Charles M., though he was generally known as "Dan."

F. V. WHEELER, of Lafayett, Indiana, a brother-in-law of deceased, arrived from the east this morning. Mr. WHEELER, says that WRIGHT's father died two weeks ago and that he had not been located and informed of his father's death; that Dan's sudden taking off makes four deaths in the family in four months. Mr. WHEELER has not decided whether the remains will be taken east or not.(8 Jan 1903, Eagle County Blade, p.1)

Return to Top

WRIGHT, Lena F. Somers

Lena F. SOMERS was born June 4, 1848, in Fulton county, Ohio, died March 13, 1921, at Gypsum, Colo. Was united in marriage to E. E. WRIGHT, January 4, 1877.

She joined the church in young womanhood and has led an earnest Christian life since.

She is survived by a devoted husband, two daughters, Mrs. H. E. CHATFIELD of Gypsum and Mrs. W. H. VAUGHN of Grand Junction, Colo.;; four grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.

Funeral services were conducted at the Methodist church, in Gypsum, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock by the pastor. The remains were laid to rest in the Gypsum cemetery.[18 Mar. 1921, Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1]

Return to Top

WURTSMITH, Mary Elizabeth

Mary Elizabeth WURTSMITH, 91, a lifetime resident of Burns, died Nov. 6 at the Veterans Nursing Home in Rifle.

One of nine Children, Mrs. WURTSMITH was born on May 17, 1905 in Burns to George Albert and Atha (GEORGE) GATES.

Mrs. WURTSMITH was a homemaker and she loved to hike and hunt for arrowheads. She loved music, and as a member of the Burns Baptist Church especially loved church hymns. Mr. WURTSMITH precede her in death in 1981.

Also preceding her in death were four brothers, one sister and one daughter, Mariam Glenna SLAUGHTER in 1973.

Survivors include sons and daughter-in-law Ben R. and Mildred WURTSMITH of Burns; and Donald D. and Alice WURTSMITH of Phoenix, Ariz.; sisters and brothers-in-law Marie and Joe ALBERTSON of Grand Junction; Berta and Orris ALBERTSON of Burns; sister Edith Groves of Grand Junction; eight grand children, Shannon and (Mark) Buck of Phoenix, Barry and (Angel) WURTSMITH of Gypsum, Nancy JENKINGS of Gypsum, Dayna WURTSMITH of Burns, Jill and (Bill) SCHLEGEL of Burns, Betsi and (Chris) LUBBERS of Eagle, and Chris and (Michell) WURTSMITH of Glenwood Springs; as well as several great-grandchildren.

Graveside services were held Saturday, Nov 9 at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum. Reverend Bruce DUNSDON officiated. Memorial contributions may be made to the Children's Hospital Foundation, 1129 E. 17the Ave., Denver, Co, 80218. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home in Glenwood Springs was in charge of arrangements.

Return to Top

WYLAND, Velma L.

Velma L. WYLAND died at her home on Thursday, July 28. She was 72.

She was born Nov 22, 1921 in Ft. Morgan to Oran B. and Lulu (McKinnion) THOMPSON. She married Maurice E. WYLAND on Jan 20, 1941 in Moab, UT. Mr. Wyland died in 1967.

Mrs. Wyland moved to Gypsum from Grants NM 19 years ago and was a member of the First Baptist Church of Gypsum. She was an active member of the Gypsum senior citizens group and a past officer of the Rebekahs. Her hobbies included bingo, gardening, cards, reading and crocheting.

Survivors include daughters and sons-in-law Bettie and Merle HOBBS of Gypsum; Dorothy and Joe MELROSE of Grants, NM; brother Cliff THOMPSON of Lakeside, Calif.; sister Dorothy TUNKS of Naturita, Colo.; and grandchildren Stewart, Travis and Rowdy HOBBS of Gypsum; Angela, Melanie and Cody WYLAND of Eagle; and James, Joy, Judy, and John CRESSLER, all out of state.

She was preceded in death by sons John WYLAND and Maurice WYLAND.

Funeral services were held Sunday, July 31 at the First Baptist Church of Gypsum, with the Rev. Ted MAGNUSON officiating. Interment was at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Gypsum. Farnum-Holt Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.

Return to Top

Return to Eagle County Main page

Copyright 2009-2016, Eagle County CoGenWeb