Hon. Lemuel Gammon

Hon. Lemuel Gammon, a successful and enterprising business man, well known as a merchant and banker at Ramah, was born December 21, 1860, in Monroe county, Iowa, his parents being George W. and Martha (Robinson) Gammon, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of Kentucky. In 1865 the father removed to Decatur, Iowa, and while spending his youthful days there Lemuel Gammon acquired a common school education. Through vacation periods and alter his textbooks were put aside he worked with his father upon the home farm and thus gained valuable knowledge and experience concerning practical farm methods. In 1880 he arrived at Ramah, Colorado, then known as the O. Z. postoffice, so called from being the headquarters of the O. Z. ranch in that locality. Mr. Gammon became a cow puncher on the ranch and was employed there and on other ranches for eight years. At length he determined to take up farming on his own account and preempted a claim of one hundred and sixty acres and proved up on it in 1888. In the same year he also established a mercantile business, which has grown to be the largest in his part of the state. He has a complete stock and carries an extensive line of goods so that he is able to meet the demands of the public.  His business methods, too, are such as will bear the closest investigation and scrutiny. He is thoroughly reliable and energetic and has ever recognized the fact that satisfied patrons are the best advertisement. Mr. Gammon is also well known in banking circles, being now the president and the principal stockholder of the Ramah Bank. He likewise owns and operates a grain elevator and conducts a coalyard and lumberyard. Adding to his landed possessions from time to time, he is now the owner of six thousand acres, a part of which he leases on shares. The extent and importance of his business interests place him in the front rank among the representative citizens of his section of the state.

In Denver, on the 17th of December, 1891, Mr. Gammon was married to Miss Mate Magrum, a daughter of Joseph F. and Mary (Munch) Magrum. She was reared in Elmore, Ottawa county, Ohio, obtained a high school education 2nd for a number of terms successfully taught school prior to her marriage. She has 'become the mother of three children. Harry A., born December 12, 1892, is a graduate of the State University at Boulder and also a graduate of the military school at Salina. Kansas. He is now at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, having previously served with the rank of second lieutenant at Camp Funston, Kansas, while at the present time he is an instructor at the Fort Sill Field Artillery School. He married Beth Glen, of Denver, on the 24th of June, 1916, and they have one child, Harriet. Ray E., born May 5, 1894, is a graduate of the military school at Salina. Kansas, and is now at St. Paul, Minnesota, being a salesman for the Burroughs Adding Machine Company. He married Bernice Newman, of St. Paul, on the 28th of June, 1916. Delma, born September 8, 1896, is a graduate of Miss Wolcott's School for Girls at Denver and is now at home with her parents.

Mr. Gammon and his family own an attractive home at Ramah, in fact he is the owner of at least one-half or more of the dwellings in the village and without invidious distinction he may be termed the leading citizen of his section. He is a good business man, active and energetic, wide-awake to every opportunity, and he is now the owner of most valuable realty holdings. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and for two years he served as a member of the seventeenth general assembly of the state of Colorado. He is also a member of the state stock board. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, having taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite, and he is also a member of El Jebel Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Denver. His marked traits of character make for personal popularity and wherever known he is spoken of in terms of high regard and warm
friendship.



Stone, Wilbur Fiske, History of Colorado, Vol. III.  Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1918.