Dr. Beverley Tucker, who since 1892 has engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Colorado Springs, where the name has long figured as a synonym for most efficient professional service, was born in Richmond, Virginia, in 1867. His father, Beverley St. George Tucker, was a native of Williamsburg, Virginia, and was fifty-five years of age when he passed away in 1894. He was the son of Judge Nathaniel Beverley Tucker of Virginia, who was a prominent lawyer of his day and was appointed United States district judge in the western circuit by President Pierce. The family is among the oldest and most prominent in the Old Dominion, the great-grandfather of Dr. Tucker of this review having been a half brother of John Randolph, of Roanoke.
Dr. Beverley St. George Tucker was educated at William and Mary College of Virginia and afterward became a student in the medical department of the University of Virginia, while subsequently he entered the University of New York as a medical student and was there graduated. He was for some time connected with the hospitals of New York city, acting as interne in the Long Island Hospital at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war. He at once returned to Virginia and immediately offered his services to the Confederacy and rose to the rank of surgeon. He served throughout the entire period of hostilities on the staff of General Mahone. At the close of the war he took up his abode in Richmond, Virginia, where he remained until 1869, when he removed westward to Marshall, Missouri. There he resided until 1880, when he came to Colorado Springs and soon acquired a large practice in this city, remaining an active and prominent member of the profession here to the time of his death, which occurred on the 30th of March, 1894. In early life Dr. Tucker was united in marriage to Miss Eliza C. Mercer, of Williamsburg, Virginia. They had six children: Lillie, Henrietta. John S., Beverley, Hugh and St. George. In the passing of Dr. Tucker the Colorado Springs Gazette wrote: "There are few citizens of Colorado Springs who have died in late years who have been so sincerely and universally mourned as Dr. Tucker."
Dr. Beverley Tucker was only two years of age at the time of the removal of the family to Marshall, Missouri, where he began his education in the public schools, and later he pursued a high school course in Colorado Springs following the establishment of the family residence in this city. He afterward entered the University of Virginia at Charlottesville and was graduated in 1889 on completing the medical course. In further preparation for a professional career he went to New York and entered Columbia College, where he did post-graduate work until April. 1890. He afterward spent eighteen months as interne at Randall's Island Hospital and thus gained broad and valuable knowledge and experience such as could never be acquired as quickly in any other way as in hospital practice. Upon his return to Colorado Springs he entered upon practice in connection with his father and the partnership was maintained until the father's death. Since 1892 Dr. Beverley Tucker has continuously practiced in Colorado Springs, covering a quarter of a century, and his marked ability has placed him in the front rank among the representatives of the profession.
On the 24th of June, 1896, in Oskaloosa. Iowa, Dr. Tucker was united in marriage to Miss Martha J. Wright and they have a daughter, Martha Christina. The religious faith of the doctor and his wife is that of the Episcopal church. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons and he also belongs to Colorado Lodge, No. 309, B. P. O. E. His political endorsement is given to the democratic party, and while he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day and is interested in all matters of progressive citizenship, he finds it necessary to concentrate his efforts and attention largely upon his professional duties, which are constantly growing in volume and importance. He keeps in touch with the trend of thought and progress along professional lines as a member of the El Paso County Medical Society, of which he has served as president, as a member of the Colorado State Medical Society and as a member of the American Medical Association.
by Stone, Wilbur Fiske, History of Colorado,
Volume III. Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing