Towns, Communities, and Post Offices - Past and
Post Office from 1909-1937; northwest of Karval.
A railroad depot on the Rock Island line; reached in August 1888. Charles CREEL platted the townsite on September 13, 1888 in Elbert County, now in Lincoln County, 1889. Incorporated in 1918. Newspapers: Arriba Record, published 1907-1953 and the Arriba Advocate, published 1939-1944. The first bank in Arriba was the Lincoln State Bank organized in 1907.
a railroad stop from 1909-1959.
Area originally called BOVINE - meaning cow; watering hole on the Texas- Montana cattle trail. When the Rock Island Railroad came through it was renamed BOVINA. The townsite was platted and filed in October 1888. J. F. JILSON, Trustee. In 1906 the Bovina Townsite Company was organized. Post Office from 1889-1955. The first bank in Bovina was the Farmers State Bank of Bovina organized in 1918.
established in 1870. Post Office from 1902- present
in 1895 a post office was established and CREECH was renamed to CABLE, for the president of the Rock Island Railroad. see GENOA
Post Office from 1915-1930; 11 miles southwest of Karval
established in the 1870's. Originally called MIRAGE, renamed CLIFFORD around 1916. Named for William Clifford, section forman for the Kansas Pacific RR and later, rancher. Post Office from 1908-1919.
near BOYERO. Established in the 1860 Douglas County. Now in Lincoln County. Established as a stage stop. First stop on the Butterfield Overland Dispatch from Cheyenne County. it was an "eating station". Also called, CONEL, CORNELL, CORNETT CREEK.
established in 1860's as a stage stop in Douglas County. Now in Lincoln County.Next stop after CONNELL CREEK. One half mile east of CLIFFORD.
Post Office from 1915-1928; west of Karval; first store built by a family named COWANS
established in 1893 on the Rock Island Railroad line, named for a railroad contractor; see CABLE and GENOA
Post Office from 1914-1917; 13 miles east of Karval
Post Office from 1901-1944; 12 miles southwest of Karval. Named for Adolph FORDER, a rancher.
established 1906. Adjacent to ARRIBA, platted by C.C. COLEMAN in 1906. One of the first buildings was a saloon. "No Man's Land" was a strip of land between ARRIBA and FRONTIER CITY, maintained to keep liquor out of ARRIBA. Later, became part of ARRIBA.
established in 1888 in Elbert County as CREECH, renamed CABLE in 1895. In 1903 the CABLE post office was moved and renamed GENOA by Mrs. Echternacht, the postmistress. The town of GENOA was laid out in 1906, by Mrs. Echternacht and John Nolan. Incorporated in 1925. Newspapers: Genoa Times, published 1911. Genoa Sentinel, published 1912-1939. Genoa Guide, published 1938-1939. The first bank in Genoa was the Genoa State Bank organized in 1909.
Post Office from 1912-1917; 10 miles southwest of SANBORN
Post Office from 1913-1971; eight miles south of Karval
on 1954-1970 map.
a mile west of HUGO; 1860's stage stop; later the site of "Cap" Barron's cattle headquarters.
on 1885 map.
Located on the crossing of the Smoky Hill Trail and the stage route from Leavenworth to Denver (1859). Post Office established in 1871, then in Douglas County. A trading post on the old Smoky Hill Trail known as WILLOW SPRNGS in the 1860's it became a stage stop, and a cattle roundup center. It was the Kansas Pacific division point in 1870, named for Hugo Richards, the Denver agent of the Halliday Overland Stage Co. The original town plat was made in 1870, on land homesteaded by Willam A. HILL and Clifford I. ROGERS. By 1872, Hugo had a hotel, eating house, water tank and a roundhouse, two general stores, and about 20 houses. Hugo incorporated in 1909. Newspapers: Elbert County Record, published 1884-1885; Hugo Stayer, published 1887-1888; Hugo Star, published 1888-1889; Hugo Advocate, published 1889-1890; Hugo Independent, published 1898-1900; Lincoln County Ledger, published 1889-1898; Range Ledger, published 1898-1935; Lincoln County Democrat, published 1912-1929; Hugo Times, published 1914-1919; Eastern Colorado Plainsman, published 1929-present. First bank in Lincoln County, was the Lincoln County Bank, organized in 1903.
HUGO SPRINGS -
1860's stage stop, it was a "swing station". Originally in Douglas county. Located seven miles north of BOYERO and east of present day HUGO.
a stage stop in the 1860's; originally in Douglas County, now in Lincoln county. Three miles southeast of present day LIMON.
also called KRAVIG; established in 1910. First homesteads were filed in 1909 by Frank CROSSEN and the Gulick KRAVIG family. Kravig petitioned for the first post office in 1911. Named KARVAL for Kravig's home in Norway, "Kars Valley."
Post Office; named for Dr. KENDRICK from 1906-1955; 24 miles west of Karval
Post Office from 1905-1971; formerly SANBORN
early stage stop railraod stop 1873-1923. Located east of LIMON; post office established July 27,1870 in Greenwood County. This was the second post office in Greenwood County, the other being at the town of Kit Carson. Now in Lincoln County.
appears on 1885 map.
original name, railroad construction camp at the junction of Rock Island and Kansas Pacific Railroad. Named for a Rock Island Railroad foreman, John LIMON; named changed to LIMON STATION. see LIMON.
third name, shortened to LIMON in 1903.
The Rock Island Railroad came through in 1888. Post Office established August 1889. Name changed to LIMON'S JUNCTION, see LIMON.
Union Pacific Land Company granted the land for a town. W. S. PERSHING purchased the town site 1889. The town was platted in 1889; incorporated in 1909. Post Office opened in 1889, operated as LIMON from 1903 - present. Newspapers: Limon Independent, published 1898-1900; Limon Herald, published 1907-1924; Limon Express, published 1912-1922; Eastern Colorado Leader, published 1922-1947; Limon Leader, published 1947-present; Limon Arrow, published 1993-1995. The first bank in Limon was the Limon State Bank, organized in 1915.
post office 1915-1917
on 1873 map. Later called CLIFFORD. Railroad reached this location in July 1870.
Post Office from 1908-1915; south of Limon; named for E. J. OWEN, stockholder in Lincoln County Ditch and Reservoir .
originally a store built by Howard STEVENS, the store was painted a bright orange - thus the name Punkin Center. Located at the intersection of Highways 71 and 94. previously called PRAIRIE DREAM
Established about 1918, Lincoln County.
post office 1878-1905. Originally in Bent County. 35 miles southwest of HUGO. Named after Dr. Jeremiah SANBORN, a sheep rancher. Post office was later moved to the THURLOW ranch were it operated until 1905.
Post Office from 1908-1914 ; 6 miles west of Arriba
Post Office from 1908-1955; north end of county, named for Charles SHAW, a store owner
1859-1860s Stage Stop, Elbert County. Site now in Lincoln County, possibly near present day LAKE, just east of LIMON or west of HUGO.
Post Office from 1910-1919; 8 miles southeast of Karval. Named for Swift Packing Company.
named for John WALK, a buffalo hunter who had a camp at this location. It was homesteaded, and after a series of failures, the land was bought for a park in 1915.
Post Office from 1908-1916; in north part of county;
Post Office from 1911-1919; located at the home of Louis WEZEL on Rush Creek
Post Office in 1901; located at the Hector METHESON home.
1860's stage stop in Douglas, then Elbert, and now Lincoln County. It was a "swing station" - where stage horses were changed out. On the Kansas Pacific Railroad. The site is now in the Lincoln County Fairgrounds, at HUGO. First two homesteaders were Clifford ROGERS and William HILL. Town surveyed and plat filed in 1877.
This county is up for adoption, please volunteer to be Coordinator © 1999-2008 | Lincoln County COGenWeb. TOWNS. | URL: http://www.cogenweb.com/lincoln/lincoln_towns.htm