Hubert Akerman

Hubert Acherman was naturalized in Iowa City, Iowa Jan 8, 1880, a native of Alsace.

In 1886 Holdrege Nebraska, Hubert Ackerman is a butcher, 31, born in France.  He's living with two other butchers M.J. Gillerson 35 New York and Erick Hanson, 29, Denmark.

 Hubert cash-claimed a quarter in 12, 7N 48W in 1892.

He certainly knew John Adler in Holdrege, and they claimed land adjoining each other in Logan County.


----Hubert Ackerman is not listed in Morris Hill Cemetery records so he is most likely in an occupied/unknown grave.----

***Spelling on his first name in the first article shows Hubert and the second article the spelling of his name is Huppert***

The Idaho Statesman
April 20, 1897
Boise City, Idaho


Joe Kinney's Arc Light Saloon Suddenly Collapses with Fatal Results.

One Man, Hubert Ackerman Killed and Several Others Injured.


A Dozen Other Men in the Place at the Time


But None Seriously---The Structure Falls Upon the Crowd Without a Moment's Warning--Heavy Brick Roof Crashes Through to the Floor. Search for Victims Begun Promptly and Prosecuted Vigorously--Coroner's Jury Impaneled to Investigate the Accident.

The brick portion of the Arc Light saloon collapsed at 9:40 last night. Hubert Ackerman was killed and several others were injured, though none seriously.

There were 13 men in the wrecked portion of the building when the crash came, and it seems wonderful that more were not killed. The collapse came without warning. There was something like a report and then the roof crashed to the floor. The crash was followed by a roar as the walls tumbled in all directions.

A crowd rushed out of the front part of the place, some of them shouting that the building had been blown up, and it was some moments before the people on the streets realized what had occured.

A fire alarm was at once turned in and a large crowd as brought to the scene. A force quickly got to work digging in the ruins in search of the dead and wounded and one after another the men who were imprisoned came crawling out.

Hubert Ackerman was pinioned under the ice box and was crushed to death. All the others had been rescued before the body of the dead man was reached.

Frank McGann was caught on the sidewalk and had his left foot crushed. He was taken to the Wesleyan hospital. He had just come in from the Anderson camp up the river.

Clifford Cooper was pinioned agains the bar and it was necessary to use jack screws to release him. One of his knees was badly hurt but no bones were broken. He is a sheep shearer and is from California. He was taken to St. Alphonsus hospital.

William Frazier of Beaver Canon, also a sheep shearer, was badly cut about the head and had a knee hurt. He is at St. Alphonus.

Frank Williams sustained injuries to his back. He was taken to St. Alphonsus.

Art Plowman was taken home with an injured foot, but no bones broken.

Charles Miller, the bartender, had a very narrow escape. He was where the weight of the fall came, but he was protected by the bar and when he was released it was found that he had only been bruised.

J. Bechtel sat with the man who was killed, but he escaped without injury.

W. H. Presley, an old man, was on his way home with some meat under his arm. He stepped into the place just in time to be caught by the crash. He was not hurt, but a timber grazed his head.

Robert Marsh, E. J. Dillon, John Beggs, William Cornwall and James Thacker were in the place but all got out without being hurt. Thacker and Plowman were at the bar when the building collapsed. They made a rush toward the door and both fell together.

That more were not killed is the remarkable feature of the accident. At the center the roof crashed down to the floor, being supported at either end against the walls. The roof was very heavy. It was covered with brick, over which tin had been placed. To support this, heavy timbering had been put in making a vast weight in the aggregate.

After the imprisoned men had all been released the roof was torn off for an examination of the ruins. The body of Ackerman was reached and removed after which the search was continued until after midnight.

Justice Siggins summoned a coroner's jury. It viewed the body of the victim of the disaster and then adjourned until 9 o'clock this morning. Deceased was between 40 and 50 years of age. He had been at work for Mr. Maloney, the butcher.

The kitchen of China Tom's restaurant, adjoining on the west, was entirely wrecked, the wall being torn out and the place filled with debris. The wall of George Spiegel's store, next west, was damaged, a crack being opened for a considerable distance.

The wrecked structure was erected some 25 years ago. It belonged at one time to Thomas Logan. He sold it to the bank and it was afterward purchased by John Broadbent, the present owner. The cause of the accident is unknown, but it seems probable that it resulted from weakening of the walls by the action of time, making them insufficient for the support of the heavy load of the brick roof.

The Idaho Statesman
April 21, 1897
Boise City, Idaho


Inquiry Into the Collapse of the Arc Light Saloon.


Testimony of Joe Kinney, Proprietor of the Establishment-- Mr. Broadbent States He Will Erect a Building Something Like That Which Collapsed

The coroner's inquest was held yesterday over teh body of Huppert Ackerman who was killed in the collapse of the Arc Light Saloon. Four witnesses were summoned, Conrad Schnegelsberg. J. L. Brown, Fred A. Major and Joe Kinney being those examined.

Only Major seemed to know anything definite about the dead man. He stated he was a native of Alsace-Lorraine and was of the age of 45. He did not think he had any property that could be found anyhere as much as a scrap of paper that would give a clude to any relatives.

Joe Kinney when put on the stand said he had occuped the building about six years. When asked if the building had been considered unsafe he replied that the wall had been sprung during that time and had had no repairs save papering and painting.

He further said the attention of the owner had been called to the sprung condition of the wall two years ago when some papering was done. The wall of the building he said was always wet whenever it rained. This would serve to weaken it.

A verdict was found in accordance with the facts.

Mr. Broadbent, when asked by a reporter if he intended to rebuild, said he would wait until he heard from James Shaw of Carson City, Nev., who owned the adjoining lot upon which the China Tom restaurant stands, respectin the party wall. He said he would probably put up a similar structure to the one just demolished as there was no need for a more extensive one.

George Speigel was busy during the day putting in a temporary wall of 2x4 props and boarding it up. The accident of the night before had caused the wall of his building next that side to slip and a large crack was made. The wall would have undoubtedly fallen had there not been from 125,000 to 150,000 pounds of merchandise against it.

The victims of the accident so far as heard from were getting along all right. Frank Williams, who was one of those taken to the sisters' hospital seems to be the worst hurt of the lot. His injuries in the back are very painful although not serious.

Huppert Ackerman was buried in the Morris Hill cemetery in the afternoon.
The Painesville Telegraph
Painesville, Ohio
(Lake County)
Thursday, June 9, 1910


Mrs. Jessie Adler Ackerman, wife of J. G. Ackerman of the East side, died at 10 o'clock Tuesday afternoon after an illness of four months. She was thirty-four years of age and leaves a husband and two children, Ruth and Raymond.

The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock, Thursday afternoon

(same newspaper, Thursday, June 17, 1904)


The funeral of Mrs. J. G. Ackerman was held at her late home on the East side, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock and was conducted by Rev. J. P. Myers and Rev. George A. Lord. Mrs. Carrie Wilder and Mrs. A. G. Stamm furnished the music. Among the floral tributes were pieces from the Ladies' Aid Society of the Church of Christ, from the Foresters of which Mr. Ackerman is a member, and from the pupils of the State street school.

The pall bearers were Frank Babcock, Will Babcock, Louis Adler, of Cleveland, and John Ruttman, of Akron. Interment was at Evergreen cemetery.

A large number of relatives and friends attended the funeral, several being present from out of town.

Her husband Bert was born 1869 in Ohio and died 1953 in Florida, so it's possible they were related to Hubert.