Logan County Colorado Pioneers

Charles and Mary (Tarbeux) Moore, sons Washington Moore, Horace B. Moore, 9 North 49 West

History of Freeport, Illinois "Mr. Horace Tarbox, of New York, came to Freeport in 1841 and engaged in the hotel and livery business. In 1848 he completed a three-story stone hotel building at the corner of Chicago and Stephenson Streets. This hotel was opened to the public January 1, 1849, and called the “Winneshiek House.” This was then credited with being the only first class hotel in the county. The opening was celebrated with a grand ball and was attended by people for miles around. The ball was one of the big social events of the decade. "
Judge Osborne of Fort Collins wrote

In 1850 Freeport, Illinois, Horace Tarbox, 33, born in New York, with Mary 32, Eveline 8, and Polly 6.

Horace Tarbox cash-claimed a quarter in 28N 5E, Dixon County, Nebraska, in 1873, and another in 1872.

1882 Freeport "Mrs. J. E. Bridgeford, daughter of Mr. Horace Tarbox, left this morning for Gainesville, Florida. Her father will follow In about a week and the two will spend the winter together. This will be the eighth winter spent there by Mr. Tarbox."

HORACE TARBOX, Western pioneer, operator in real estate; was born in Onondaga Co., N. Y., Dec. 7, 1817; his parents were Peter Tarbox and Mary (Woodruff) Tarbox; his education was acquired at the common schools, located in the vicinity of his home; in early life he was engaged, for a time, in working on the Erie Canal; in 1841, he turned to the West, and, settling in Freeport, Ill., established himself there in the hotel and livery business, which he prosecuted for several years; he interested himself at the same time, also, in the lumber trade, and in building operations; in 1850, he went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and to Omaha, Neb., where he found employment in opening up farming lands, and in pioneer and settler work generally, while dealing largely, always, in stock of every description; he was the first to carry a plow into Colorado, and with it to break the virgin soil, formerly the camping-ground of the Indian or the bed of wolf and buffalo; in 1859, he settled in Boulder City, and engaged there in his customary pioneer work, buying land, which he would improve and sell; in 1865 and 1866, he returned to Freeport, Ill., and speculated largely in land, buying, building and other real estate operations; in 1870, he again went West, to Sioux City, Neb., where he was similarly occupied; from that locality he traveled to Sidney, Col., and thence to Grand Island, Neb., continually engaged in land speculations, and in buying, selling and raising stock; his home and family have, since 1841, been in Freeport, but from that date down to the present time the greater portion of his life has been passed in the further Western section of the country, where he has continued to open up prairie land, form farms, build, deal in stock, and to interest himself in pioneer frontier labors in general; he has spent several winters in Florida, and owns property in Gainesville, and also has two orange groves near there. When Mr. Tarbox came here he had only $500, and, by his energy and good management, has become one of Freeport's most successful citizens. In 1841, Mr. Tarbox was united in marriage to Miss Mary Van Pelt, a native of Penn Yan, N. Y.; they have three children — two daughters, both married Mary, (now Mrs. Moore, living in Sidney, Neb.), Jennie (now Mrs. Bridgeford, living in Chicago ), and one son, Frank, at home.

May 1899 "GRAND ISLAND. Neb.. May . The contest of tb Horace Tarbox will was resumed yesterday, after an adjournment of nearly a week. It is this case in which some valuable property la Freeport, Ill.; Gainesville, Fla.. and Grand Island Nebraska is involved... The testimony has brought out rather an interesting story of the amassing of a small fortune by aa absolutely illiterate man - but a thoroughly shrewd horse trader. Horace Tarbox was 84 years of ae at tb time of his death. He left two daughters and one son from a first marriage, and a wife and three daughters and one son from a second marriage . To the latter children and his wife he bequeathed almost his entire estate, giving his son. Frank Tarbox, who is wayward, the sum of $. and to his daughters, Mrs. Dr. Hayes of Chicago and Mrs. Charles Moore of Sydney, Neb., each a house and the real estate upon which it is situated. Mrs. Hayes and Mrs. Moore are the contestant of the will - When the elder of the contestant was yet a young girl her father was in the trading business. As shown by the testimony, he was located at Freeport, where he had secured some property by dealing in horse. This was la the days before the Union Pacific had stretched across the plains. He ventured into the overland freighting business, conducting a train of twelve and sometimes even a larger number of teams across the country to Boulder. Colo. . Together with a partner, he established a store In Boulder. .. . His first .wife and children accompanied him on these trips, giving whatever assistance was necessary, the girls who are the contestants sometimes driving teams aad assisting in the cooking on the way. Upon the arrival of the trains at Boulder.. Colorado, the merchandise was placed in the store. The freight consisted of whatever would sell well. Tarbox furthermore established a dairy at Boulder, and when the trains had arrived the mother of the contestants would devote her time to the household affairs, and with tb assistance of one of the daughters would make butter and cheese for the market. . The eider of the girl clerked in the store until after some months the father would be ready with the overland trains and the proceeds of the sales to go back to Illinois, only to prepare for. another of the venturesome trips. The trains were always attended by a profitable outcome. In the time that the father was preparing for another.trtp he would look after his real estate in Freeport and follow the horse-trading business. He was a shrewd trader, and this occupation, too, was profitable to him. One of tbe contestants on the stand stated that at least six trip were made overland, the mother aad daughters assisting in all, and at the time of the death of the mother, considerable fortune had been amassed. Mrs. Moore... was married in Freeport before the death of her mother. She also had been the eldest of the daughters front the first marriage, who, however. died some years ago. - - - - Mrs. Moore related how. after the death r her mother; her father had ... her house in Sydney, Neb., feeling too Joaely to live by himself. - A second marriage followed about seventeen year ago. Mr. Tarbox still continued to actively manage bis interests, and continued dealing in horses, real estate, etc. until he suffered from a stroke of paralysis, about twelve years ago at the second wife's house. It Is a recent feature of the contest that the attorney for the defense announced that they would show that, ever since this stroke of paralysis, th wife began to secure from the aged man deeds to her or her children of various properties from time to time, both in this vicinity aad at Freeport, and thus to make doubly sure that in the end the bulk of the property would go to her and her -children. Considerable testimony was also brought out to prove that since the stroke of paralysis Tarbox was of a generally weak and shattered condition mentally and physically, and Lost, whereas he was strong-willed - and would brook no interference in his business affairs before, he was dominated by his wife after the stroke, and that the will, which was made in 1894, was secured by undue influence while the testator was not mentally qualified to make a will. It was shown that tbe document was drawn by the then County Judge of this county. Mr. Tarbox hearing the will read in the presence of the superintendent of public instruction and the deputy sheriff, and the making his mark, the wealthy testator not being able to read or write even his own name. The property in Freeport Is valued at $64.- 00. and that at Gainesville. Fla.. and in Nebraska at $90,00& The case has now occupied about a week In the County court, and another week will be required for the con testants to conclude their testimony. From the County court it will go before a Jury in the District court, and whatever the decision of the Jury, will go from there to the Supreme court of the state.
In 1870 Cheyenne County, Nebraska, Charles Moore 27 and Mary 25, have Horace seven months.
In 1875 Sidney, Nebraska, C.A. Moore was a subscriber to the proposed Catholic church.

In 1885 Cheyenne County, Nebraska, C.A. Moore is 43, Mary 41, Horace 15, Washington 11, and Grace 5.
Grace (Moore) Kruse 1880-1907 is buried in Sidney, Cheyenne County, Nebraska.

In 1910 Cheyenne County, Nebraska, Charles A. Moore is 74, Ohio, married 41 years to Mary A. 56 Illinois. Washington is 36, Charles 30, both born in Illinois, with grandson Allen 12 grandson.

Jay Em south of Lusk, Wyoming, traces its beginnings to about 1869, when James Moore started the J M along Rawhide Creek about two miles north of the present town of Jay Em. Moore in conjunction with Charles Moore owned ranches on the North Platte at Cedar Creek, Nebraska, and on the South Platte near present day Sterling, Colorado. During the short life of the Pony Express, Jim Moore was a rider between Midway and Julesburg. The division from Mud Springs to Julesburg was sometimes referred to as the "Jules Stretch" after the line's superintendent Jules Beni. Beni, as discussed with regard to the Overland Stage, died at the hands of Jack Slade. On June 8, 1860, Moore made his epic 280-mile round trip from Midway to Julesburg and back in 14 hours and 46 minutes, changing mounts at Julesburg, Thirty-Mile Ridge, Mud Springs and ending at Midway. Moore averaged over 18 miles per hour.


Charles A. Moore was born in North Bend, Mahoning County, Ohio, in 1839, a son of James and Margaret (Finley) Moore, the former of whom was also born in that county, a farmer by occupation and a soldier in the Mexican War. His father, James Moore, was a native of Ireland, a farmer and gardener, and upon coming to the United States settled first in New York State and then in Mahoning County, Ohio. The wife of James Moore was a daughter of John Finley, also a native of Ireland.
James Moore removed to Portage County, Ohio, with his family, at an early day, and here Charles A. Moore grew up. When fifteen years of age he and a brother, James A., left their parents' roof and went to Chicago, in which city they had their home for abut two years, being engaged in shipping horses. They next went to Pike's Peak, where they were engaged in the stage business for a few years, but in 1863-64 they resided on a ranch on the Overland Stage Line, the place being known as Moore's Ranch. They were actively engaged in the stock business until 1868, when they abandoned their ranch and Charles A. Moore settled in Sidney, Neb., with the interests of which place he was identified for some years, coming to Grand Island in 1890.
He was married in Freeport, Ill., in 1871, to Miss Mary A. Tarbox, she being born in that place, a daughter of Horace and Mary (Van Pelt) Tarbox, natives of York State. Mr. Moore and his family worship in the Presbyterian Church, and he and wife have an interesting family of two sons and one daughter: Horace G., Washington C. and Gracie. While a resident of Cheyenne County, Neb., Mr. Moore served for one term as county commissioner, the duties of which position he discharged in a very efficient manner.

Sidney, Nebraska Friday, October 22, 1915 Page 1
The death of a third old citizen within a week occurred Monday (18th) when Charles Moore peacefully expired upon the arm of his son W. C. Moore after months of decline from various debilities augmented by advanced years. Mr. Moore was born May 10, 1835 in Poland, Ohio. He died October 17th, 1915, at his home in this city, after passing ten years beyond the allotted span. In 1857 himself and brother went west and settled upon the South Platte river, establishing herdds of horses and cattle which they grew in numbers till they had no accurate count upon them as they ran over the immense open ranges. Mr. Moore ran the pony express for years between Julesburg and Denver. He saw his brother shot to death in an Indian raid and soon after he removed his large herd to the North Platte river near Camp Clarke. He assisted H. T. Clarke in establishing his historical Camp Clarke bridge. In 1869 he went to Freeport, Illinois and on January 27th was married to Mary Ashley Tarbox whom he brought to Sidney (sic) bride. His herds grew and he acquired other properties rapidly, and employed may men. At one time he owned a large general store here from which he furnished supplies to the Black Hills and to the Government for its many posts. He also owned two blocks of business houses on Front Street, a hotel and residences scattered over the city, also two good farms near Grand Island. He was a man of generous prodigality and himself always honest and avoiding debt, he was too trusting of others. This trait in his character was the cause of poor business deals and gradually his large property dwindled until his later years found but little remaining of his large wealth. By the death of Mr. Moore the landmark of the earliest history of this section is gone, the next oldest citizens having come here later than 1859. He is survived by his wife and two sons, H. A. and W. C., another child, Mrs. Grace Moore Kruse, died several years ago. Four grandchildren also survive, Sidney, Glenn and Grace Moore and Ferdinand Kruse.
Charles is buried in Sidney, Nebraska.
Tama Herald Tama, Iowa November 13, 1919

Mrs. Mary Moore died very suddenly at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Winters at 10 o'clock Friday [Tuesday?] morning November 11, aged 76 years and 7 days. She formerly lived at Sidney, Nebraska, but for the past two years had made her home with the Winters family. She had been an invalid to a large extent for the past twelve years but had been in usual health until within less than an hour before her death, when she was stricken with paralysis, and died without regaining consciousness. Mary Tarbeux was born at Freeport, Illinois, October 30, 1843. She was united in marriage to Charles Moore. To this union were born two sons and a daughter, the daughter dying twelve years ago. The sons are Horace Moore, of Sidney, Nebraska, and W.C. Moore of Seattle, Washington. She also leaves one brother, Frank Tarbeux and four grandchildren. Mrs. Moore was a member of the Episcopal Church. The funeral was held from the Winter's home this (Thursday) afternoon at 2 o'clock, Reverend W.B. Davis having charge of the services.
Mary is buried in Tama, Iowa.

Charles proved up 80 acres in 30, 9N 49W in 1916.

Washington proved up 200 acres in sections 28, 29 and 33, 9N 49W in 1914.
Washington Cochran Moore registered for WWI in Seattle, Washington, born Feb 29, 1874, a retail clerk. His mother M.A. Moore lived at Tama, Iowa.
FindAGrave # 40864592 says he died September 30, 1954 in Seattle.

Fort Collins, Colorado, November 1893 "The many friends of Miss Sue Cunningham, formerly of this place, who now resides at Sidney, Neb., will no doubt be pleased to learn of that young lady's marriage to Mr. Horace Moore, of Sidney. The happy event took place on Oct. 14.
Cheyenne County marriage book has Horace W. Moore marrying Sue L. Cunningham, page 186.
In 1900 Cheyenne County, Nebraska, Horace born March 1870 in Illinois, is a railroad helper, with Susie Jan 1878 Missouri, with Sidney April 1895 and Glenn Feb 1894, both born in Nebraska.
Susie's parents George 1843-1928 and Martha 1850-1896 are buried in Sidney.
In 1910 Susie S. is in Contra Costa County, California, 37 born in Missouri, married to Robert Warrington 62, second marriage for both. Grace R. Moore, 8, born in Nebraska, is with them.
Robert died January 20, 1920 in Alameda County.
Grace Ruth Moore was born Jan 10, 1902 in Sidney to Horace A. Moore and Sue L. Cunningham, dying August 30, 1995 in Marin County, California as Ruth M. Klemmer.
October 1, 1984 - Mathias "Math" Klemmer of Woodacre, a West Marin resident since 1926, died Saturday at Marin General Hospital after an illness of several months. He was 85.
Mr. Klemmer was born in St. Lucas, Iowa, and moved to Point Reyes Station in 1926. He and his wife Ruth moved to Inverness in 1933 and to Woodacre in 1946.
Mr. Klemmer worked for the Point Reyes Dairyman’s Association, starting as a butter maker and later becoming the manager.
When the creamery closed he became the office manager for the Sonoma-Marin Dairyman’s Association, also in Point Reyes Station. He retired in 1972 after 58 years in the dairy business.
Besides his wife, he is survived by four sisters, Justina Zweibohmer of Ossian, Iowa, Maria Burleson and Matilda Jauert, both of Glendale, Ariz., and Madalena Stammeyer of Waucoma, Iowa.
No funeral will be held.
Private inurnment will be in Mount Tamalpais Cemetery, San Rafael.

Horace proved up 320 acres in sections 22, 27 and 28, 9N 49W in 1914.

Sidney Allen Moore registered for WWI in Sidney, a roundhouse laborer for the Union Pacific, born April 15, 1895., married.
In 1920 Sidney, Nebraska, Horace is 53, widowed, Sidney A. 25 single, rooming with the Iola Wasson. widow.
In 1930 Sidney is a truck driver, married to Elizabeth, 31.
In 1940 Sidney, Horace is 70, living with son Sidney 45 - the chief of police - and his wife Elizabeth 41 theier daughter Patricia 10. Elizabeth's mother Catherine Reigers, 64 is also with them.

Horace 1870-1945 is buried in Sidney.
Sid Moore, dying Nov 17, 1956 is buried in Sidney, per # 115409650.
"March 14, 1956, and while a policy was in force and effect, Sid Moore negligently drove his 1953 Ford truck described in and covered by such policy into a 1955 Mercury Station Wagon owned by Howell Lumber Company, and being driven by plaintiff. As a direct result of such collision and the negligence of Sid Moore, (a) plaintiff sustained severe and permanent personal injuries; (b) plaintiff's brother, Harold A. Howell, who was riding as a passenger in such Station Wagon, was killed; and (c) the Station Wagon was damaged in the amount of $2,100.00."
Elizabeth Moore died March 24, 1975 and is buried in Sidney, per # 115409830.

H. Glenn Moore, dying June 1, 1985 is also buried in Sidney, per # 115409877.
Horace's wife Susie died in January 1967 San Rafael California "SUSAN WAIDELY Funeral for Susan L. Waidely of Woodacre was held today at the Harry M. Williams Mortuary, San Rafael. Inurnment was at Mount Tamalpais Cemetery, San Rafael. Mrs. Waidely died Saturday in a local hospital after a lingering illness. She was 93. A native of Vandalia, Mo.. Mrs. Waidely has lived in Marin County and California for 43 years. A widow, she lived with her daughter, Grace Ruth Klemmer, at 160 Central Avenue, Woodacre. She was a member of the Santa Venetia Presbyterian Church. She is survived by her daughter and a son. Horace Glenn Moore of Sidney, Neb; also by three sisters, a brother, and several grandchildren and great­ grandchildren."


Return to Logan County Pioneer Index