Washington County, Colorado


Schools and School Districts

Alphabetical Listing of Schools

Abbott - District 31
The Abbott schools were located 9 miles north and a half mile west of Lindon. The Abbott high school was closed in 1926. The grade school closure date is unknown.
Akron - District 1
The Akron school district was started in 1887. In 1911 the first Washington County high school was built in Akron.
Anderson - District 79
Originally the Anderson school, Plum Bush was about 6 miles northeast of Last Chance. In the 1928 directory the school was listed as the Pride of the Prairie school.
Antelope Springs (later Antelope Valley) - District 6
The Antelope Springs school dates from 1886 and was located some 6½ miles south of Akron. The school was consolidated with Akron in 1947.
Antelope Valley - District 69
The first Antelope Valley school was located 10½ miles southeast of Woodrow. In 1918 a new school building was built a mile west of the original location. The 1928 teacher directory shows this school as District 6. The Antelope Valley school burned to the ground in the late 1940s and was not rebuilt.
Antioch - District 53
The Antioch school was 5 miles north and 2 west of Lindon it was closed in 1945. The West Fairview school was also in this district.
Arickaree - District R-2
Today's Arickaree school is a K-12 facility built in 1959 nine miles east of Anton. It serves the entire southeast corner of Washington County.
Ashland (previously Cactus Valley) - District 8
The Cactus Valley sod school building was built about 1889 some six miles south of Platner on the northwest corner of section 12, T1N R51W. In the early 1900s a frame building was erected and was used until 1917 when a new school building was built in section 11. The old school building was moved to the new school and used as a barn. The Ashland school was closed about 1960.
Beaver Dale - District 70
District located south of Woodrow district on Adams County line. The second school in the district was Sunshine.
Bellevue - District 43
Bellevue and Prairie View were opened about 1911 in district 43 located on the Baseline 11 miles south and five miles west of Akron.
Buena Vista - District 58
The North Buena Vista school was located 12½ miles north and 2½ miles west of Akron. The Buena Vista school was the south school in the district.
Burdett - District 23
The Burdett school district was organized in 1888. The school was located about 14 miles north and two miles east of Otis. The school was closed in 1952 and the district was consolidated with Lone Star. There were several Burdett schools. The first school was held in an abandoned sod home. The first purpose-built school in 1890 was also of sod and served until 1900 when the school closed due to a lack of students. The school reopened in 1910 in a frame building that was replaced in 1915 with another frame school building. After the consolidation the school building was moved to Lone Star where it served as a cafeteria until the new high school was built. The Burdett and Richmond school buildings were later combined to make a residence on the school grounds.
Butte - District 42
The Butte school was one of two in district 42 located in the Fremont Buttes area northwest of Akron. The Pleasant Hill school was the second. The Butte school was located 1¾ miles west and 1 mile south of the Fremont Buttes.
Cactus Hill - District 44
The school was six miles southeast of of Anton.
Cactus Valley
See Ashland
Canyon - District 13
This district included the town of Last Chance. Other schools in the district were Spence, Morning View, Valley View and Howard.
Capitol Hill - District 24
Capitol Hill was located 3 miles east and 2½ north of Thurman.
Center - District 21
The Center school district was organized in 1888 as district 42 and was located just north of the Platner district. In 1889 it was reorganized as district 21. The Center district consolidated with Planer about 1940.
Charity, Faith, Hope and Sunnyside - District 17
Charity - District 83
District 17, located some 10 miles north of Otis was home to four schools. The district was organized in 1887 with the Hope school located across the road from the Hope cemetery. A new Hope school was built in 1910 a mile north and a mile east of the cemetery. The Faith, Charity and Sunnyside schools were built in 1917. Charity was located in the northeast corner of section 32, T4N R50W (10 miles north and 2 east of Otis). In 1924 the district lines were redrawn placing Hope in district 82 and Charity in district 83. The Faith school was consolidated with Lone Star in the 1920s and the other three schools followed in 1949.
Clark - District 26
Three school district southwest of Akron. The other two schools were Hillside and Mezpah.
Clay Center - District 64
District is just south of the Baseline at Rago.
Columbine - District 25
District just west of High Prairie straight south of Akron. Harrisburg was the second school in the district.
Cope - District 57
The Cope schools were organized shortly after the town was founded in 1887. The Cope high school was built in 1920. The district was consolidated into Arickaree R-2 in 1959.
Crystal Heights - District 80
According to the map, Crystal Heights was the school district immediately northwest of Wiladel.
Curtis - District 29
Curtis District 29 was organized in 1893 about 10 miles north of Platner. In 1906 it was decided to expand the district and add two more schools. The Lincoln school was opened about 1910 as the north school followed by Roadside in 1917 in the south side of the district. In the 1940s the Roadside school closed and in 1954 the district consolidated into a single central school under the Curtis school name. In 1960 the district was consolidated with Akron.
East 28 - District 28
The East school in district 28 was located about 3 miles north of Lone Star and a mile and a half west of the Yuma County Line. The district was organized in the 1890s and was consolidated with Lone Star in 1922. The East 28 school building was moved to Lone Star where it was used as a house for the custodian.
East Antelope - District 86
District was just northeast of High Prairie.
East Arickaree - District 36
The district 36 school was located about one half mile south of US-36 and the Arickaree Store.
Edville - District 66
Edville was located 6 miles west and one half mile south of Cope.
Elba - District 45
The Elba district had two schools; High Points (North Elba) and Pleasant Hill (South Elba). The district was located some 13 miles south and 3 miles west of Akron.
Fairview - District 19
The Fairview school was located in the southwest corner of section 15, T3N R49W on the west side of district 19. It was closed in 1952 when the north part of the district combined with Lone Star. Other schools in the district were Liberty Hill and West Point.
Fairview - District 56
Fairview was located one mile west and 4½ south of DeNova.
Faith, Charity, Hope and Sunnyside - District 17
District 17, located some 10 miles north of Otis was home to four schools. The district was organized in 1887 with the Hope school located across the road from the Hope cemetery. A new Hope school was built in 1910 a mile north and a mile east of the cemetery. The Faith, Charity and Sunnyside schools were built in 1917. The Faith school was located at Road UU and 51. In 1924 the district lines were redrawn placing Hope in district 82 and Charity in district 83. The Faith school was consolidated with Lone Star in 1922 and the building was moved to Lone Star where it was used as a residence. The other three original district 17 schools followed in 1949.
Farley- District 22 (Previously Plank #49 and Harrisburg #22)
The Plank school district was organized in 1887 some 21 miles south and 2 miles west of Akron. The school was named after the J.H. Plank family. In 1904 the district was reorganized as Harrisburg - District 22 and in 1916 a second school was built in the east part of the district named Farley. By 1928 Farley was the only school listed in the district. The Farley school was closed in the early 1950s.
Fight - District 38
District 38 was straight south of Akron just south of the Baseline. The Fight school was named after local settler William Fight. The district was organized in 1914 and the Fight school operated until 1949 when it was consolidated with the Rosalind school district 74 immediately to the south. The Fight School building was sold and the Rosalind building was moved to the same lot. The consolidated district operated until 1956.
Flat Top - District 51
Just east of Highway 73 on the Lincoln County line. In 1928 three district schools were listed: Flat Top, Mountain View and Pleasant Valley.
Ford Center - District 65
District was south of Elba district 45. The second school in the district was White Springs.
Fremont - District 34
Southwest of Cope on the Kit Carson County line.
Golden - District 27
District 27 had four schools listed in 1928. Woodrow, Golden, West School and East Prong.
Gordon - District 33
On the Lincoln County line (T5S R54W) about halfway between Flat Top and Thurman.
Happy Valley - District 63
Happy Valley was located 6 miles north and 1 mile west of Cope.
Harmony - District 54
The Harmony school was located 6 miles south and 1 west of Cope.
Harrisburg - District 22 (Previously Plank #49 and later Farley #22)
The Plank school district was organized in 1887 21 miles south and 2 miles west of Akron and was named after the J.H. Plank family. In 1904 the district was reorganized as Harrisburg - District 22 and in 1916 a second school was built in the east part of the district named Farley. The schools were closed in the early 1950s.
Harrisburg - District 25
District just west of High Prairie straight south of Akron. Columbine was the second school in the district.
Harrisburg - District 63
The Harrisburg area school districts had three schools: North, South and West Harrisburg that were consolidated into a single, two-teacher, District 63 school located 4 miles north of Anton on Highway 63.
Highland - District 71
District was north of Midway on Morgan County line.
High Points (North Elba) - District 45
The High Points school was located 13 miles south and 3½ west of Akron.
High Prairie High School - District 52
High Prairie High was located some 19 miles south and 9 miles east of Akron. The school was opened in the 1920s as part of the Washington County High School system. It was consolidated with Arickaree in the 1950s.
Hillcrest - District 61
The Hillcrest school was located in the southeast corner of section 10, T5N R50W, four miles north of the Burdett church. The school was founded in 1914 and was one of those consolidated with Lone Star in 1952. The 1952 building was moved to Lone Star where it served as a school storage building.
Hillside - District 26
The Hillside school was located 7 miles west and 3 south of Akron. The Clark and Mizpah schools were also in this district.
Home Valley - District 72
District was on Yuma County line in Township 2 South and was just south of district 55.
Hope, Faith, Charity and Sunnyside - District 17
This district was located some 10 miles north of Otis and was home to four schools. It was organized in 1887 with the Hope school located across the road from the Hope cemetery. A new Hope school was built in 1910 a mile north and a mile east of the cemetery. The Faith, Charity and Sunnyside schools were built in 1917. In 1924 the district lines were redrawn placing Hope in district 82 and Charity in district 83. The Faith school was consolidated with Lone Star in 1922. The Hope school was closed in 1945 and for several years the students were bused to Otis and Sunnyside. In 1949 all the original district 17 schools joined the Lone Star district.
Hope - District 82
In 1924 District 17 lines were redrawn placing Hope School in District 82. The Hope school was closed in 1945 and for several years the students were bused to Otis and Sunnyside.
Howard - District 13
This district included the town of Last Chance. Other schools in the district were Canyon, Spence, Morning View and Valley View.
Hurry Back Valley - District 60
District is on the Yuma County line immediately south of the Baseline.
Hyde - District 2
The town of Hyde was established in 1884 and its first school was a room above the hardware store. The large school building was built in 1888 and in ensuing years became the town's multipurpose meeting place. A few years later the school district was divided into five sub-districts: Center Hyde, East Hyde, West Hyde, North Hyde, and South Hyde. These schools gradually closed until the Hyde District 2 joined Otis District in the late 1950s. The 1928 school directory lists Hyde, South Hyde and West Hyde schools in District 2.
Iowa Valley - District 4
Iowa Valley and Sunnyvale were both schools in district 4, some 10 miles south of Akron. Iowa Valley was the only district 4 school listed in 1928. District 4 was consolidated into the Akron district in 1951.
King - District 52
The King school was located some 20 miles south and 8½ east of Akron near High Prairie.
Lafayette - District 76
The Lafayette school was located 16 miles north and 1 mile west of Akron. It was sometimes called the "Soapweed" school.
Liberty - District 62
District was 13 miles north of Akron on Highway 63. The second school in the district was Union Center.
Liberty Hill - District 19
District 19, located northeast of Otis was home to three schools; Liberty Hill, West Point and Fairview. Liberty Hill, located at what is now Roads 46 and ZZ, was established in 1887 and operated until 1937. For a short time Liberty Hill area students attended other schools in the district but starting in the 1940s most attended Lone Star. In 1952 the north part of the district was consolidated with Lone Star and the south with Otis.
Lincoln - District 29
Curtis District 29 was organized in 1893 about 10 miles north of Platner. In 1906 it was decided to expand the district and add two more schools. The Lincoln school was opened about 1910 on the southwest corner of section 8, T4N R51W. It operated there until the 1950s when a small student population drove consolidation of the district into a single central school under the Curtis School name. In 1960 the district was consolidated with Akron.
Lindon - District 39
The first Lindon school was located 2 miles east and 2 south of the town of Lindon. In 1951 a new Lindon school was built just north of town. Lindon was home to a Washington County High School.
Lone Star - District 30 (later 28 then 101) [hit link for history]
Lone Star started about 1895 as rural grade school district 30. In 1920 two years of high school education was added and the school district was reorganized as district 28. In 1922 Lone Star and surrounding districts voted to consolidate and offer a four year high school education in a new school complex built where Lone Star is located today. The Lone Star district continued to expand through consolidations until it included the Faith, Hope, Charity, Burdett, Prairie Vale, Hillcrest, East 28, West 28, Richmond, Liberty Hill and White districts. The Lone Star school district was named by a teacher born in Texas.
Lone Valley - District 9
Organized about 1920, the Lone Valley school was located a mile north of the Baseline and two miles east of the Morgan county border. Lone Valley was consolidated with Rago in 1954. The school building is now part of the Centennial Village in Island Grove Park near Greeley.
Meekton - District 48
The Meekton school was located 7 miles east and 1 south of the Bethel Union Church. (The school was northwest of Arickaree.)
Messex - District 10
The Messex school was located near the town of Messex on the north bank of the South Platte River. When the 1927 school directory was published this was a joint Washington - Morgan County school district.
Mizpah - District 26
Third school in this district southwest of Akron. The other two were Clark and Hillside.
Missouri Valley - District 12
Missouri Valley was one of three schools in district 12 and was located 10 miles south and 6 miles east of Akron. The school was built in 1910 and operated until ?
Morning View - District 13
This district included the town of Last Chance. Other schools in the district were Canyon, Spence, Valley View and Howard.
Mountain View - District 51
Mountain View was located 6 miles west and 5½ south of Lindon. In 1928 three district schools were listed: Flat Top, Mountain View and Pleasant Valley.
North Buena Vista - District 58
The North Buena Vista school was located 12½ miles north and 2½ miles west of Akron.
North Harrisburg - District 20
Immediately north of Anton.
Otis - District 3
Located in the town of Otis. The Otis school is still open as a K-12 facility.
Palmer Valley - District 85
District was just east of Wiladel.
Pinneo - District 9
The Pinneo school was organized in 1886 at the Pinneo station and townsite on the Burlington railroad. About 1900 a new school known as Pinneo 2 was constructed 4 miles south of the railroad on the old Akron-Brush state highway. This school was sometimes referred to as the "Wenig School" after the Wenig family. A third Pinneo school was established near the community of Midway northeast of Pinneo Station. The 1928 teachers directory lists the Pinneo, Lone Valley, Stony Point and Rago schools in the district. The district consolidated with Akron in the early 1960s.
Plank - District 49 (later Harrisburg #22 and Farley #22)
The Plank school district was organized in 1887 21 miles south and 2 miles west of Akron. Named after the J.H. Plank family. In 1904 the district was reorganized as Harrisburg - Dist. 22 and in 1916 a second school was built in the east part of the district named Farley. The schools were closed in the early 1950s.
Platner - District 16
The first Platner grade school district was organized in 1878 with the school a mile southeast of the present town. Later the school was moved to town and in 1926 the Platner high school was added. The high school was closed in 1943. The Platner grade school closed in 1960.
Pleasant - District 15
The Pleasant school was located 3½ miles southwest of Otis.
Pleasant Hill - District 37
Pleasant Hill was located 2 miles north and 4 miles west of Thurman.
Pleasant Hill - District 42
Pleasant Hill was one of two schools in district 42 located in the Fremont Buttes area northwest of Akron. The Butte school was the second. Pleasant Hill was located 4 miles west and 6 north of Akron.
Pleasant Hill (South Elba) - District 45
The South Elba school was located 14 miles south and 4 west of Akron and shared the district with the High Points (North Elba) school.
Pleasant Hill - District 67
Northwest of Burdett on Logan County line.
Pleasant Valley - District 7
The Pleasant Valley school district was first organized as district 3 but was reorganized in 1887. It was located some four miles west of Akron on what is now US-34. It was consolidated with Akron in ?
Pleasant Valley - District 51
Just east of Hwy 73 on the Lincoln County line. In 1928 three district schools were listed: Flat Top, Mountain View and Pleasant Valley.
Pleasant View - District 14
4 miles north of Otis.
Pleasant View (West 28) - District 28
The Pleasant View school was started in 1909 in the northwest corner of section 19 (Now road UU). The school consolidated with Lone Star in 1922 and the school building was moved to Lone Star where it was used as a classroom.
Plum Bush - District 79
Originally the Anderson school, Plum Bush was about 6 miles northeast of Last Chance. In the 1928 directory the school was listed as the Pride of the Prairie school.
Prairie Vale - District 5
The Prairie Vale school district was created in 1910 from pieces of the surrounding districts to create a school closer to the students. It was located in the southwest corner of section 12, T4N R51W some 12 miles north and 3½ miles west of Otis. In 1953 the north part of the district was consolidated with Lone Star and the south with Otis.
Prairie View - District 43
Bellevue and Prairie View were opened about 1911 in district 43 located on the Baseline east of Rago and some 11 miles south and five miles west of Akron. The Prairie View school house building was replaced in 1956 when the Clay Center school building was moved to the same site. School continued until the 1960s when the district was consolidated with Akron. The original Prairie View building was remodeled to be used for a church, was later used as a community center and was finally moved to Akron where it was placed at the Washington County Museum.
Pride of the Prairie - District 79
Originally the Anderson school, Plum Bush was about 6 miles northeast of Last Chance. In the 1928 directory the school was listed as the Pride of the Prairie school.
Rago - District 9
The Rago school was the southmost in district 9.
Richmond - District 49
The Richmond school was located in the southwest corner of section 7, T5N R50W and was founded about 1910. The first school was in a sod building that was replaced a few years later by a frame structure. In 1952 the district was consolidated with Lone Star and the Richmond school building was moved to Lone Star where it served as a band room. After the new high school was built in 1960 the original Richmond and Burdett school buildings were combined to make a residence on the school grounds.
Roadside - District 29
Curtis District 29 was organized in 1893 about 10 miles north of Platner. In 1906 it was decided to expand the district and add two more schools. The Roadside school was opened in 1917 on the southeast corner of section 6, T3N R51W. It operated there until 1941 when a small student population drove closure. After it closed new students that would have been served by Roadside were bussed to Platner. In 1954 the Roadside school building was moved into the center of district 29 where it was reopened under the Curtis School name. In 1960 the district was consolidated with Akron.
Rock Springs - District 32
Rock Springs was located 2 miles north and 6 west of Akron.
Roosevelt - District 18 (later 102)
The Roosevelt school was located 3 miles south and 2 miles east of Messex on the south bank of the South Platte River. It was home to the Washington County High School - Roosevelt.
Rosa Lee - District 12 (Briefly Sunny Plains)
The Rosa Lee school was named for the Washington County school superintendent. It was built in 1918 as the third school in district 12. The other two were Missouri Valley and Sunnyslope. Rosa Lee operated until 1926 when it was closed for lack of students. It was located 9 miles south and 4 miles east of Akron.
Rosalind - District 74
District 74 was straight south of Akron about six miles south of the Baseline. The Rosalind school was built in 1911. Rosalind was consolidated with the Fight district in 1949 and the school building was moved to the Fight school location where it operated until 1956 when the district was consolidated with others.
Saint Joseph
Catholic school, 1919 to 1929, located in Akron next to the catholic church.
Sampson - District 50
The Sampson school was located 14 miles south and 6 east of Akron.
South Elba (Pleasant Hill) - District 45
The South Elba school was located 14 miles south and 4 west of Akron.
South Hyde - District 2
One of three district 2 schools listed in the 1928 teacher's directory.
Spence - District 13
District 13 included the town of Lanst Chance. Other schools in the district were Morning View and Canyon.
Star - District 11
The Star school was located 5 miles east and 2 north of Akron.
Stony Point - District 9
Listed in the 1928 teachers directory.
Sunny Dale - District 35
The Sunnydale school was located 8 miles south and six miles east of Anton. The district was just east of Thurman on the Kit Carson County line.
Sunnyside, Faith, Charity and Hope - District 17
District 17, located some 10 miles north of Otis was home to four schools. The district was organized in 1887 with the Hope school located across the road from the Hope cemetery. A new Hope school was built in 1910 a mile north and a mile east of the cemetery. The Faith, Charity and Sunnyside schools were built in 1917. In 1924 the district lines were redrawn placing Hope in district 82 and Charity in district 83. The Faith school was consolidated with Lone Star in the 1920s and the other three schools followed in 1949.
Sunnyside - District 39
The district 39 Sunnyside school was located 2 miles south and 3 west of the town of Lindon.
Sunnyslope - District 12
?
Sunnyslope - District 78
Sunnyslope was located 4 miles south and 3 east of Akron.
Sunnyvale - District 4
The Sunnyvale school was built in 1919, 10 miles south and two miles west of Akron. In 1930 the Sunnyvale school was moved a mile to the east. In 1951 the school was consolidated into the Akron district. The Iowa Valley school which operated until the 1940s was in the east part of the same district. Sunnyvale was home to a Washington County High School.
Sunshine - District 41
The Sunshine school was located 2 miles east and 4½ miles north of Akron. The district was organized in 1907 and the school operated from 1908 to 1960 when it was closed.
Sunshine - District 70
District located south of Woodrow district on Adams County line. The second school in the district was Beaver Dale.
Thurman - District 40
The Thurman school was located at Thurman in extreme southern Washington County. After the school closed the school building was moved to Last Chance where it was remodeled and used as a cafe.
Union Center - District 62
District was 13 miles north of Akron on Highway 63. The second school in the district was Liberty.
Valley View - District 13
This district included the town of Last Chance. Other schools in the district were Canyon, Spence, Morning View and Howard.
Victory - District 75
District was south of Otis on the Baseline east of district 73.
Washington County High School
There were many high schools operating in Washington County under the title Washington County High School. See the town and community names.
Welch - District 73
District was south of Otis just north of the Baseline.
West 28 - District 28
See Pleasant View.
West Antelope - District 47
On the Baseline just north of High Prairie.
West Arickaree - District 87
District was just west of Arickaree.
West Fairview - District 53
District 53 was north of Lindon. Antioch was the second school in this district.
West Hyde - District 2
One of three schools listed in Hyde district 2.
West Point - District 19
The West Point school was located in the southwest corner of section 36, T3N R49W. It was the southern school of the three in district 19 and was closed in 1952. The south part of district 19 was added to the Otis school district. The other two schools in the district were Fairview and Liberty Hill.
West School - District 27
District 27 had four schools listed in 1928. Woodrow, Golden, West School and East Prong.
White - District 46
The White school district was organized in 1907. The first school was built of sod and was located some 17 miles north and a half mile west of Platner. This building was replaced with a frame building located north of Road 56 and JJ. After the district was consolidated with Lone Star in 1952 the building was used as a community center until it was moved to the Old Thresher's property in Yuma.
White Rose - District 55
The district was on the Yuma County line east of High Prairie. Yucca Center was the second school in the district.
White Springs - District 65
District was south of Elba district 45. The second school in the district was Ford Center.
Wiladel - District 68
The first Wiladel school was built in 1916 some eight miles west of Cope and four miles north of US-36 on the southeast corner of section 32, T3S R50W. The original building burned in 1928 and was rebuilt in 1929 as the tile block building that is still used as a community center. In 1959 the Wiladel school was consolidated with Cope.
Woodlin - District 104
The Woodlin K-12 school is 18 miles west and 2 north of Anton. The name was coined when the Woodrow and Lindon school districts were consolidated into a single district to serve all southwest Washington County students..
Woodrow - District 27
District 27 had four schools listed in 1928. Woodrow, Golden, West School and East Prong. A Washington County High School was located at Woodrow.
Yucca Center - District 55
The district was on the Yuma County line east of High Prairie. White Rose was the second school in the district.
Zendner - District 84
The Zendner school was located south of Anton. The 1920s school building was built of straw.

Missing Districts in the List of Schools

The following districts are shown on the 1920s school district map but do not appear in the list of schools in the 1927-1928 Washington County Grade School Directory.

District 88
District immediately east of High Prairie
District 89
District in the far southwest corner of the county.
District 90
North of Fremont Buttes
District 91
8 miles north of Akron on Hwy 63.



Home

These pages are © 2002 & 2008 Lee C. Zion