(Articles 9 - 13)
Transcribed by Lee Zion <firstname.lastname@example.org>, October 2001.
Conceded to be the Best Town Between McCook, Nebraska, and Denver.
Never Afflicted With a Boom, Its Growth is Founded on Substantial Conditions.
Situated in a Health-Giving Climate it Presents an Ideal Location for Happy and Prosperous Homes.
(Panorama of Wray from south bluffs)
The average individual who visits the bustling county seat of Yuma county for the first time, finds his greatest surprise in the fact that Wray was a part of a cattle ranch twenty years ago, with nothing about it to indicate that in less than two decades a great commercial center and the capital city of Yuma county would flourish where the herds of lowing kine roamed at will. While the railway station was established in 1881, in which year the Burlington road was extended across Yuma county towards Denver, even in 1886 that part of the town which was situated north of the Republican river contained only the railway station, one sod hotel of very modest proportions, one store conducted by J.J. & W.C. Grigsby, a section house and a small land office building. In that year, on the south side of the river, now occupied by the major portion of the city, there was one small store, Major Hays' livery barn and a small land office building. In 1886 W. Newell platted the north side and laid out streets, while one year later the C-C Land and Cattle Co. and the Lincoln Land Co. platted the south side of the river.
Fortunately for its prosperity, Wray was never afflicted with a "boom." Its growth has been gradual, but steady, keeping pace with the surrounding country. While its business men have been progressive and enterprising, they have been characterized by conservative principles which confined their operations within legitimate bounds. As a result, Wray advanced only when the conditions surrounding it and its business prospects justified progress and expansion. This is why the city has never been afflicted with vacant stores or languishing business industries - its prosperity always rested on solid foundations. In 1888 the town was incorporated, and Collier Henry, a son of the present county judge, who died a few years ago, was the first mayor. Since then the city has expanded to an area more than twice the size of its corporate limits, and it is the intention to reincorporate on an enlarged scale at an early date.
The city is situated in the northern part of the county, in the beautiful valley of the North Fork of the Republican river, the stream dividing the town into two natural divisions, and furnishing perfect drainage. High bluffs form the north and south boundaries of the city, the distance between them being about three-fourths of a mile, but east and west the pretty valley of the Republican can be seen for many miles, with the sparkling waters of the winding river glistening in the distance, forming a panorama of beauty that is pleasing to the eye. From the high bluffs which form the southern boundary of the city, can be seen a magnificent stretch of perfectly level prairie, enriched with scores of cultivated farms and beautiful homes, and extending far beyond the limit of human vision, at the same time obtaining a bird's eye view of the busy city and attractive valley of the Republican luxuriantly decorated with its green mantle of verdure.
Aside from the fact that it is the county seat of one of the best farming and stock growing counties in the state, Wray occupies an advantageous position as a railroad town. It is situated on the main line of the Burlington road, 165 miles east of Denver, with three daily passenger trains each way, between Chicago and Denver, and one train each way between Wray and Omaha. Owing to the large and rapidly increasing passenger and freight business done at Wray, it is the intention of the company to erect a commodious round house and machine shop here, making this city a division point. The company's engineers made the necessary surveys for the proposed changes a few months ago and it is probable the improvements will be commenced at an early date. This will make the town the headquarters for a large force of railroad men and their families, thereby materially enhancing the city's prosperity. It is probable that the company will also, erect a new passenger station that will be more in harmony with modern advancement and the importance of Wray.
Electric Railway Projected
The benefits that will be conferred on the city and county by the proposed electric line of railway from here to Burlington on the Rock Island road is hard to estimate. The road will run through nearly fifty miles of the best part of the county, and much of the produce grown in the southeast and southwest portions of the county, which now finds a market at Haigler, Neb., St. Francis, Kan., and Burlington, will come to Wray. In addition to this it will enable people living in the remote southern parts of the county to come to Wray at trifling expense, and with but little loss of time, to do their trading. The expense of building the line over the seventy miles of almost level prairie between the two terminal points will be comparatively small, and the promoters are assured of generous returns from their investment.
Wray has extensive stock-yards from which many thousands of cattle, horses and hogs are shipped annually, two elevators and a large grain house, the latter owned and operated by O.L. Mitten; an excellent flouring mill, run by water power with a capacity of seventy-five barrels per day; the blacksmith and machine shops of Lynams & Houck; a brick yard and a number of other smaller industries give employment to labor and are proving important wealth-producing features of the city's progress.
From small lakes situated near the city an abundant crop of pure natural ice is harvested in ordinary seasons, but the past winter was so mild that only a very limited supply was secured.
The Wray Telephone Co., organized in this city by a number of our enterprising business men, has been a useful factor in bringing Wray into prominence. Within the past nine months, it has not only extended its lines to embrace the small villages and many of the ranches throughout the county, but has made its system an important outside factor. Its lines run west to Brush, Morgan county, where connection is made with the Bell Telephone lines for Denver and other Colorado points, while to the east the company is covering western Kansas and Nebraska with a network of lines that connect at Atwood Kan., with the telephone lines for Kansas City and other eastern points.
Became County Seat
In the autumn of 1891 Wray made its first attempt to wrest the county seat honors from Yuma, but failed to secure the necessary two-thirds vote. The people of the city accepted their defeat gracefully, but they united their energies in an earnest, untiring effort to promote the welfare of their town, with a firm determination to achieve their laudable ambition at a later date. Under such conditions the city made pleasing progress, and in the autumn of 1902 it measured swords with Yuma once more for the supremacy. The election resulted in a victory for Wray, the people of the county selecting the latter town by more than a two-thirds vote. In the following spring the county seat was established at Wray, and since then the city has shown renewed life and energy, both in business expansion and increased population.
The post office and railway business done by a town is conceded to be an accurate indication of its growth and importance. Since 1901, when C.D. Pickett was appointed postmaster at Wray, the quarterly receipts of the office more than doubled in amount, while the money order business is three times greater now than it was then. On January of the present year the post office was advanced to the presidential class and Mr. Pickett reappointed postmaster. The volume of business done at the railway station in this city is another evidence of progress and prosperity that cannot be controverted. The following figures, which are official and authentic, show the shipments and receipts of freight at the Wray depot during the year ending December 31, 1903:
Flour and Feed
|Total number of cars||552|
|Total number of cars||242|
In addition to the above there were 2,500,000 pounds of freight in less than car lots received at Wray during the year specified. While the above is a business showing for one year which we think few towns of 1,200 inhabitants can equal, the indications are that 1904 will prove much more prosperous for the city than 1903.
The Court House
The Yuma count court house, erected last year and occupied by the officials early in January last, is the most imposing structure in the city. It is a handsome brick building 50x60 feet in dimensions, two stories and basement. On the first floor are the offices of the county clerk, treasurer, assessor, superintendent of schools and county judge. On the second floor is the district court room, 42x48 feet in size, and the offices of the sheriff and district court clerk. Both floors are supplied with wide, pleasant halls. In the basement are two janitor's rooms, the furnace room and the county jail, the latter being supplied with three steel cells. The interior is finished in natural yellow pine, with oak stair cases and railings, and the building is heated by hot air. There are two large fire-proof vaults, one in the basement and one on the second floor. The cost was a little in excess of $12,000. It is the intention to plant a profusion of trees and shrubbery around the court house and in a few years it will prove a delightful spot in which to spend the leisure moments of the summer months.
During the past two years a large number of private residences, many of them elegant homes, were erected in Wray, The citizens take pride in their family surroundings, and an indication of the refining characteristics which are displayed by a love of the beautiful can be found in the ornamental trees, shrubbery and fragrant flowers in which so many of the elegant homes of Wray nestle. In summer, where the conditions render it possible, the pretty residences are surrounded by well kept lawns and a display of green foliage and floral beauty that captivate the passing eye and increase the attractions and happiness of the home.
Openings for Industries
While the present industries in Wray are not very extensive, its advantageous situation and favorable surroundings render the future very promising in this respect. Already a packing house is projected, with every assurance that it will become a profitable reality at an early date. There are more fat hogs shipped to the markets from Wray than from any other point in Colorado. When the packing house is established here - as established it will be - it will cause the profitable hog-raising industry of the county to increase many fold and confer wonderful benefits on the city as well as the farmers.
There are excellent openings in Wray for a laundry, a canning factory, a broom factory and a cigar factory. Broom corn grows to perfection in this county and the farmers would gladly grow all of it a factory could use. A tailor and a bookstore that would carry full lines of stationery, periodicals, magazines, etc., would find profitable locations in Wray. There is neither a tailor nor a bookstore in the county.
The Retail Trade
It is a great measure the retail trade gives life and ambition to a town. It is conceded generally that Wray is the best town on the Burlington road between McCook, Nebraska, and Denver, and although the business done here is extensive, every branch of trade not otherwise specified in this article, is fully represented by gentlemen who not only thoroughly understand their business, but a keen and vigilant in pursuing it. At present Wray is well equipped with merchants and they are "hustlers" in the most active acceptation of the term.
Wray can boast of two excellent weekly newspapers - the Gazette, published by J.W. Cloyd, and the Rattler, published by C.L. Wills and Frank E. LaShelle - the former being independent in politics and the latter Republican. Each of these papers is an enterprising, progressive representative of the town and county, and each receives a generous support. The merits of each of these creditable newspapers receive a more extended notice on other pages of this edition.
Amos Carl, the enterprising hardware and furniture merchant, has converted the second story of his large business block into an opera house, to which he is now giving the finishing touches. It has a seating capacity of about 400, and the stage is generously supplied with beautiful new scenery, that would be creditable to a town of many times the size of Wray. It will be a comfortable and very attractive place of amusement.
Wray can boast of one of the most attractive
free reading rooms to be found in Eastern Colorado, which was organized by the
Young People's Union last March. It occupies the second floor of Sisson and
Son's clothing store, which has been fitted
(here the typesetter missed a line or two of text in the original copy for the newspaper)
reading room is supplied with a good library, all the standard periodicals and magazines, an organ and games of various kinds. It is well patronized and presents a most enjoyable place in which to spend a leisure hour. The officers of the Union are Isaac Reed, president; Brown F. Sisson, vice president; Miss Katie Weaver, secretary and Clyde Cunningham, treasurer.
It is admitted by all students of social conditions that a musical people are a God-serving peace-loving people, and that music exerts a wonderfully potent influence for good on the moral tone of any community. In Wray, as well as throughout the county, the great majority of the people are music-lovers in every sense of the term. Each of the Wray churches can boast of one or more musical organizations that would be creditable to a town many times the size of this. An excellent brass band is also a melodious feature of the city.
A City Park
A number of years ago the city secured about three acres of land for a park, which is situated along the north bank of the Republican river between the depot and the business part of the city, immediately west of Chief street. It has been planted with shade and ornamental trees, and if these receive proper care, in a few years Wray will have a public park that will evoke the admiration of strangers and prove a pride and joy to our citizens.
Wray has five fraternal organizations, which are all in a flourishing condition and doing a grand good work in the field of benevolence and brotherly love.
The Masonic lodge was instituted September 18, 1888, with eighteen charter members, six of whom still retain their membership. W. Newell was the first worshipful master; at the present time C.W. Zepp is master and O.L. Mitten secretary. The present membership is forty-one.
The Maccabee tent was instituted on September 15, 1893, with twenty-one charter members. It has had a fairly successful career, its present membership being forty-one. C.F. Hendrie is the present commander and Frank T. Hawks is secretary.
The Woodman of the World camp was instituted December 4, 1898, with fourteen charter members. Its present membership is 145, with N.M. Lynam, consul commander, and J.O. Graham, clerk.
Odd Fellows Lodge No. 123 was instituted on February 26, 1899 with 8 charter members; Charles E. Kellar being the first noble grand. It has a membership of about seventy now. Henry Lepper being the present noble grand.
The Modern Woodmen of America camp was instituted November 28, 1900 with thirty-four charter members. Its present membership is forty-one, John Dalrymple being venerable consul and Frank F. Hawks secretary.
In addition to the above the city has a lodge of Rebekahs and a circle of Women of Woodcraft.
Grand Army Post
Wray Post No. 70, G.A.R. was organized in January, 1889, with the following nine charter members: Josephus Brown, Robert G. Tipton, Oliver Ridgeway, Jacob Cox, Rankin Smith, David Sisson, Major W.R. Hays, Henry Hitchcock and Wickliff Newell, with the latter gentleman as post commander. Four years ago the name was changed to Fred H. Beecher Post, in remembrance of Lieutenant Beecher, who was killed by the Indians in the Beecher Island battle described in this edition. The present membership of the post is about thirty.
A Promising Future
While the progress of Wray, especially for the past two years, has been exceedingly gratifying to our citizens, the future is even more promising. During April the county has been blessed with several copious rainfalls, the indications being that there is "more to follow," thereby giving every assurance of an abundant harvest, and the current year is sure to prove a progressive record-breaker in the advancement and material prosperity of Wray. Already scores of business buildings and private residences are projected and arrangements are being made for their erection during the coming summer. Among the business structures of which the city is now assured are:
The fine two-story brick block which C.D. Pickett is erecting on his property on the corner of Chief and Kiowa streets. The block, of which the first story walls are nearing completion, is 50x62 feet in size, with steel columns and plate glass front. The first floor will be divided into two fine store rooms, and the second floor will be fitted for elegant offices. When completed this building will be an ornament to the city, and will prove worthy of Mr. Pickett's well known enterprise and loyalty to the best interests of Wray.
Howard Klugh, another of the hustling, energetic pioneers of Wray, has commenced the work of erecting a fine brick business building on Chief street. It will have a frontage of 25 feet, sixty-two feet long, and will be furnished elegantly. Mr. Klugh made his money in Wray and the enterprising gentleman displays the utmost faith in the future of the city.
D.B. and W.D. McGinnis, the latter gentleman being the popular county clerk, are preparing to erect a brick block on Chief street, adjacent to Mr. Klugh's building. It will have a frontage of fifty feet, with a depth of sixty-two feet, and it will be divided into two stores. The Messrs. McGinnis were among the first settlers and they have always displayed an enterprising, generous interest in the progress of Wray.
C.T. Grant, who has been a wonderfully potent factor in the development of the resources of Wray, has purchased the lots on the southeast corner of Chief and Kiowa streets and it is probable he will erect a magnificent modern brick hotel during the coming summer. Wray needs a first-class hotel, furnished with every modern convenience and comfort, and Mr. Grant's enterprise will net him handsome returns from his investment.
In addition to the above, several other business buildings are projected, but the plans are not sufficiently matured at this writing for detailed mention. Judging from the past and present conditions, Wray will more than double it size within the next two or three years.
In the matter of health, Wray and Yuma county offer attractions which must be experienced in order to be fully appreciated. There are no low, swampy lands in the county and, therefore, malaria, ague and their kindred ailments are unknown. Situated at an altitude of 3,600 feet above sea level, the city and county have a light, dry, ozonized atmosphere, the purest of water and almost perpetual sunshine, which eminent physicians concede to be the most potent factors in subduing lung or bronchial troubles. It is a well-known fact, which can be substantiated easily, that scores of people, who came to this city or county suffering from malaria or lung troubles, are now enjoying good health or gradually recovering from their ailments. The winters are short and generally mild, with bright sunshine nearly every day, while in summer the days are warm and balmy and the nights are cool and refreshing. Either of two things are certain - people who come here suffering from pulmonary diseases are either cured entirely, or their ailments so modified as to prolong life many years, if their coming has not been delayed too long. In this special edition we give the names of many who were restored to robust health in Yuma county.
While some of the citizens of Wray are natives of Colorado, a large percentage of the population is from the Middle West and Eastern states, and such things as political or sectional bitterness are unknown here. The people are kind, generous-hearted and hospitable, and they extend to newcomers a most cordial welcome. Worth is recognized at its full value, industry, energy and integrity ever receiving their just commendation and cordial support from our citizens. If you are seeking a home where you can surround yourself with the comforts and happiness of life, under refining influences, in a law-abiding community and a health-giving climate, come to Wray and investigate what we say about the city and county. You will find it true in every particular.
While Wray is not only the county seat, but the commercial metropolis of the county, there are a number of small villages in the county that do considerable business in the aggregate.
This village is situated on the Burlington railway, seven miles east of Wray, the Republican river flowing through the town. While the population is less than 100, the village presents a very attractive appearance and it does a flourishing business. It has two or three stores, a lumber yard, blacksmith shop, livery and a good school house. Situated in the fertile Republican river valley, it is surrounded by prosperous farmers and stock raisers, which assure it continued prosperity. Considerable cattle and produce are shipped to market from Laird.
Robb, Eckley, Schram and Yuma
These are the four Yuma county stations on the Burlington road west of Wray. While the population of each is small, they are important shipping points, especially for stock.
Yuma was the county seat until it was decided to transfer it to Wray at the election of 1902, and since that time the little town has advanced like a crawfish. It has several fine brick and frame business buildings, as relics of a more prosperous past, but unfortunately, the major portion of them are vacant. With one or two exceptions, the business men of Yuma seem to be more intent on weeping and moaning, and nursing their wrath over the loss of the county seat than in making progressive efforts. But the town is nicely situated, with many favorable surroundings, including a fertile country and there is no question but a more enterprising and broad-minded class of business men would make Yuma an important industrial point and a pleasant place in which to live. Yuma is a town where, every other source of relief failing, a few first-class funerals would prove exceedingly beneficial to it.
The village of Vernon, which is situated in the midst of one of the most prosperous farming sections in the county, is located twelve miles southwest of Wray. It was founded in 1892. Joseph Miller, the present postmaster of the village, being its first merchant. Now it has two general stores, three churches - Presbyterian, Lutheran and Christian - one Grand Army post, with a membership of eighteen, and a camp of the Woodmen of the World, instituted in October 1903, which has a membership of twenty-five. There are only about one-half dozen families living in the village but as the county around it is thickly settled and flourishing, it does a considerable volume of business.
This is a thriving little village in the southern part of the county. The town was laid out in the spring of 1888 by Benjamin Bird and J.C. Helmich of Cheyenne and Rollins counties, Kansas, who expected the Burlington railway to extend a branch of their road from St. Francis, Kan., to that point. The contemplated extension was abandoned, but Idalia, which is situated in the midst of a rich section of the county, has always done a good business. It has two large general stores well stocked with goods, a hotel, a blacksmith ship, etc., and as the vast areas of excellent vacant lands around it attract settlers, it will grow in size and business importance.
A Vanished Friend
Friend was the name of a boom town that was founded in the southwest part of the county by Reed R. Decker, James Dudgeon, Sylvester Andrews and Frank Elliott, in 1886. They named it after the Nebraska town from which they hailed and in a short time it boasted of about twenty or more buildings, among them being a bank, two general stores, a printing office from which a newspaper was issued, two hotels, one restaurant, a drug store, a saloon, two livery barns and two blacksmith shops. The town maintained a precarious existence until 1892, when it began to decay, and in 1897 all vestige of it had disappeared, with the exception of the cellars which belonged to the vanished town. The buildings had been sold to the farmers and ranchers in that section of the county and so ended another "boom" dream of greatness.
In the above named gentleman the pretty village of Laird has a pleasing illustration of what persevering industry and a laudable ambition can accomplish in the business affairs of life.
Mr. Burkett is a native of Russia, where he was born thirty years ago. When three years of age he came to the United States with his parents and they settled on a farm in Nebraska where he grew to manhood. In 1892, with no capital save a spirit of industry and a determination to succeed, he commenced to hew his own pathway in life. He found employment on the railway and his fidelity soon obtained recognition in the shape of a promotion to foreman. After several years of faithful work and prudent living, the gentleman engaged in the mercantile business at Laird last June. He put in a well assorted stock of general merchandise, which he bought right and sold right, as a result of which he has done a good business from the beginning. He manages his store on honorable principles, and this, in connection with his genial courtesy to customers and the excellent value he offers, is one of the chief reasons for his pleasing success.
He has the leading business house in Laird; those who know him have faith in his integrity and his business is growing day by day. He owns a large Howe scales, and buys produce of all kinds, paying the best prices possible.
In 1898 Mr. Burkett married Miss Mary Yost, an estimable Nebraska lady, and two children have blessed their home. Fraternally the gentleman is a member of the A.O.U.W. Mr. Burkett is an affable, generous-hearted citizen, who takes a deep interest in public affairs and is ready at all times to aid in the development of his town and county. In his successful career young men starting out in life may find an inspiration to cultivate prudence, industry and a laudable ambition to succeed.
(Photos of O.M. Wimmer, Interior of City Meat, P.T. Edmunds)
Wray can boast of one of the best conducted and most attractive meat markets to be found in Eastern Colorado.
O.M. Wimmer, the genial proprietor of this model establishment, is a native of Creston, Iowa, where he was born thirty-four years ago. After his school boy days, during which time he acquired a liberal education, he devoted his attention to farming pursuits until 1894 when he moved to Colorado and took up a homestead in Arapahoe county. In addition to the cultivation of his homestead he engaged in teaching school, which he continued for five years, with the most gratifying success. In 1903 he sold his Arapahoe county farm and moved to Wray last spring. Here he purchased five lots and created a cozy home during the summer. In October he bought the City Meat Market from H.J. Cox and under his charge the business is proving a pleasing success.
Mr. Wimmer keeps the very best qualities of all kinds of meats, fish and game in season, and he treats customers with that courteous consideration which attracts trade. He is fortunate in having as an assistant in the market P.T. Edmunds, one of the best butchers and meat cutters in the state. At this shop the public is assured of first-class meats, cut right, sold right and with scrupulous cleanliness a reigning factor in the business. Wray is fortunate in having such an enterprising, up-to-date meat market.
In Mr. Wimmer the city has an energetic, honorable business man who is proving a valuable acquisition as a useful, broad-minded citizen, who well merits the general esteem in which he is held. Fraternally he is a member of the Woodmen of the World. Note his advertisement on another page of today's Gazette.
Note - Since the above article was in type, Mr. Wimmer sold his meat market to H.J. Cox and now devotes his attention to buying poultry, eggs, produce, etc.
Among the early settlers of Yuma county there are none more widely known and highly esteemed than W.W. Cunningham, the popular farmer and real estate dealer, who lives adjacent to Wray.
Mr. Cunningham is a native of West Virginia, where he grew to manhood on a farm. When nineteen years of age he went to Indiana where he continued farming pursuits for eighteen years. In 1883 he moved to Nebraska, where he remained four years and then came to Colorado, where he selected Yuma county, then a part of Weld county, as his future home. He located on a homestead four miles southwest of Wray, engaging in general farming and stock raising. His energy and industry, combined with his through knowledge of every detail of farm cultivation, were generously rewarded by abundant crops and satisfactory financial returns year after year. In addition to his farm of 160 acres out in the country, Mr. Cunningham owns seven large lots of land immediately adjoining the southwestern city limits. On one of these blocks he has erected a beautiful home in which he and his estimable wife and family enjoy that comfort and happiness which they so richly merit. The other six blocks he intends to plat into lots and place on the market as an addition to the city of Wray. The situation is very desirable and the lots will soon find eager purchasers.
Three years ago Mr. Cunningham engaged in the real estate business, in which he is meeting with success. He handles farms, ranches and city property, improved and unimproved, and he can furnish a purchaser any kind of property the latter desires. His well known integrity is ample guarantee to those who do business with Mr. Cunningham, that they will be treated honorably in every respect, without misrepresentation of any kind.
Not only in business affairs, but as a kind-hearted neighbor and useful citizen the gentleman's worth receives general recognition. He is modest and unassuming in his intercourse with men, but to every movement calculated to promote the moral or material welfare of the city and county he gives generous aid and encouragement. There are few if any gentlemen in Yuma county who enjoy such a wide measure of public confidence and genuine regard as does Mr. Cunningham. Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham were blessed with nine children, three of whom are married and all are highly esteemed in the community.
That Yuma county bestows health as well as prosperity, has been illustrated frequently during the time that has elapsed since the first settlers came to this favored section of Colorado and in the career of G.B. Ingram can be found another proof of this fact.
Mr. Ingram is a native of the northwestern part of Missouri, where he was born on a farm thirty-one years ago and grew to manhood. For many years the gentleman was afflicted with lung trouble, from which he could obtain no relief from medical skill. Five years ago he decided to come to Colorado to seek restored health and he located in Yuma county. At that time he weighed only 103 pounds and the future seemed shrouded in a mantle of gloom. Ere long however, he began to find relief in this health-giving climate and the improvement continued day after day until now, after five years, Mr. Ingram weighs nearly 150 pounds and enjoys robust health. In addition to the inestimable boon of health, the gentleman has found a generous measure of prosperity also.
When Mr. Ingram came to the county he secured 160 acres two and one-half miles from Wray and he also owns another farm of 160 acres seven miles south of the city, or 320 acres in all. His principal crops have been wheat, corn and potatoes and he has made farming in Yuma county a most pleasing success. While he has almost invariably raised profitable crops of wheat and corn, he has made potato culture a special success, the latter crop yielding him, clear of all expenses $40 an acre on an average, year after year. In addition to the 160 acres near Wray, Mr. Ingram farmed quite an area of adjacent rented land on which he grew wheat and corn. He kept an accurate account of the receipts and expenditures, including labor, relating to this rented land, and it returned him, clear of all expenses, $8.35 for every day he spent in cultivating the wheat and $8.65 for every day he worked on the corn.
For some time Mr. Ingram has been overseer of the public roads in his section of the county, and in this capacity he is giving excellent satisfaction.
In Missouri, nine years ago, the gentleman married Miss Annie Lewis, an estimable lady, and two bright children, both boys, have blessed the happy union.
Mr. Ingram is a genial, industrious gentleman who is highly esteemed by those who know him because of his good qualities as a kind neighbor and desirable citizen. His experience in Yuma county has rendered him exceedingly pleased with its climatic conditions and financial possibilities. In five years, the climate has restored him to health and strength, while the fertile soil has bestowed upon him generous returns as a reward for his persevering efforts and honorable toil. Mr. Ingram well merits the success he has achieved and the esteem in which he is held.
Previous Part | Index | Next Part